Random 2023 Bengals related stuff

28 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

I dunno, DJ Reader is a leader in the locker room and makes this defense go. He's able to eat up blocks which makes it hard for teams to double Henderickson. Maybe they can sign both, but I would take Reader over Jonah as he been the more consistent player throughout his tenure with the Bengals. 

I dont disagree that Reader is a better player, but I pick JB standing up before I pick Reader

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

I dont disagree that Reader is a better player, but I pick JB standing up before I pick Reader

It's not an either-or situation, this re-sign Jonah or Burrow is going to get sacked every play argument is ridiculous. Jonah is playing well but he's not some future HOF'er..a few months ago everyone was ready to trade him and he got replaced for a reason. 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

It's not an either-or situation, this re-sign Jonah or Burrow is going to get sacked every play argument is ridiculous. Jonah is playing well but he's not some future HOF'er..a few months ago everyone was ready to trade him and he got replaced for a reason. 

The problem is the FA market for Tackles this offseason is bare. Jonah is going to get paid.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

Reader is an absolute must. Carter or Tupou are not in his area code talent wise. He is the anchor of the defensive line. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

Not saying he gets sacked every play if Jonah leaves and I said he has to play all year like this BUT if he leaves who goes in? One of our backup scrubs or do we pay huge $$  a FA RT when we can just try and sign Jonah. I trust Lou to work without Reader more than I trust the OL with no RT to speak of. I am fine with signing Jonah and Reader and passing on Tee - to me he is an obvious 3rd on that list. 

The other issue is Readers age, he may want a longer term deal than the team wants and we have been avoiding the 3rd contract guys who are older. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

You do that and you lose Tee

Absolutely no reason to think they will sign Higgins to an extension in the offseason. Cincinnati assigns a value to a particular value to a player based on position/production/potential and they don't move above that top line. There was no indication that Higgins was ever close to signing an extension this past offseason, which means as with Bates before him there is a sizeable gap between agent and front office. No reason to expect either side to budge enough to get a deal done.

I don't think his agent will allow him to sign a franchise tag to play another season for the Bengals, so the only other reasonable option is a tag-and-trade scenario. I'm okay with that as long as it happens before the draft. After a Higgins trade WR will be another position to add to the list of draft needs.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dex said:

Absolutely no reason to think they will sign Higgins to an extension in the offseason. Cincinnati assigns a value to a particular value to a player based on position/production/potential and they don't move above that top line. There was no indication that Higgins was ever close to signing an extension this past offseason, which means as with Bates before him there is a sizeable gap between agent and front office. No reason to expect either side to budge enough to get a deal done.

I don't think his agent will allow him to sign a franchise tag to play another season for the Bengals, so the only other reasonable option is a tag-and-trade scenario. I'm okay with that as long as it happens before the draft. After a Higgins trade WR will be another position to add to the list of draft needs.

I agree that I dont think Higgins is here long term. But I also don't think the Bengals want alot of turnover in the WR position next year, and if they let Tee go they lose him and Boyd in the same year. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, High School Harry said:

and signed free agent linebacker Clay Johnston to the practice squad.

So does this mean Charlie Sizzle is staying on IR?

Dont know about Sizzle  but Johnston

was a playmaker in playoffs.

Blue collar plsyrer.. hardnose.

Not the worst reserve backer to have..

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

and to activate Tanner Hudson

I think this is the week that we make a decision as far as who the starter at TE will be going forward.  Because if Jones comes off IR next week, they are going to have to make room somewhere.

• Upvote 1