Keeping our enemies close: 2023

https://sports.yahoo.com/bad-officiating-cheats-packers

Bad officiating cheats Packers on Kenny Pickett’s backward pass

Rule 8, Section 7, Article 1 of the NFL Rule Book states that “A runner may throw a backward pass at any time. Players of either team may advance after catching a backward pass, or recovering a backward pass after it touches the ground.”

Apparently, referee Scott Novak’s crew didn’t get the memo in Sunday’s game between the Pittsburgh Stealers and the Green Bay Packers. With 3:34 left in the first half, Stealers quarterback Kenny Pickett pretty clearly threw a backward pass to running back Jaylen Warren. The play was ruled an incomplete forward pass, the Packers reviewed it. and the call was upheld.

Broadcaster Charles Davis had a serious problem with that, and Davis was not wrong. Rules analyst and former NFL referee Gene Steratore tried to state a contrary case, but there’s only so much you can gloss over stuff like this.

Thank you, Gene Sock Puppet...

Final Score, Stealers and the Refs 23... Green Bay 19

• Upvote 2

The angle at the 0:15 mark of that video is perfect. That tells you all you need to know, the pass is tailing backwards. It's a lateral. We rarely get such perfect angles so when we do there's no excuse to get the call wrong. I'd agree with Steratore if it weren't for that angle

• Upvote 2

Interesting tidbit:

Numbers Game

Why the Chase Young trade could turn into a totally no-risk deal for the 49ers:

San Francisco owns the projected 101st overall pick in the 2024 draft as the Compensatory Pick for losing DeMeco Ryans and Ran Carthon to Houston and Tennessee, respectively. The Niners traded that Comp Pick to Washington for edge-rusher Young.

Let’s assume Young is a rental for the 49ers, and signs a free agent deal elsewhere for, say, $23 million a year in March 2024. It’s likely the Niners will get a third-round Compensatory Pick in return in the 2025 draft—unless they sign another high-priced free agent or two, which is unlikely given their current salary structure and need to re-sign their own top players. If Young leaves and the 49ers get a third-round pick in return, the pick would be likely be somewhere in the 97 to 101 range. Let’s, for fun, call it the 99th pick.

So this trade could end up being:

• San Francisco trades the 101st pick in 2024 to Washington 
  • San Francisco acquires Young for the final nine regular-season games in 2023 and possibly some number of postseason games, plus the 99th pick in 2025.

Imagine getting the benefit of Young for 11 or 12 games—and then a slightly better draft pick than you traded for him.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Mikeslumina said:

Special teams for bills can’t count cost them game. Bills had 12 players on a missed field goal by broncos. Broncos kicked again 

I miss perine bengals should have paid him to stay. I would have cut carman gave perine his money. 

Perine showed out when it counted

No more talk about Allen as the 3rd best QB in the NFL.

Still good but not top 5 or 6 now imo.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

No more talk about Allen as the 3rd best QB in the NFL.

Still good but not top 5 or 6 now imo.

Talent is talent. There isn’t a player in sport anywhere, who hasn’t hit a slump. 

I suspect Gillette-Shave-Beard lad will still make the playoffs. In the NFL, people who make them money will not be absent from their Super Loot Tournament.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Talent is talent. There isn’t a player in sport anywhere, who hasn’t hit a slump. 

I suspect Gillette-Shave-Beard lad will still make the playoffs. In the NFL, people who make them money will not be absent from their Super Loot Tournament.

Including burrow 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Aside or counting Bengal game what are your opinions  on

CJ. Stoud's talent and ability going forward?

I think he's pretty darn good but my issue on Sunday was how wide open his receivers were. Lapham talked about this on WLW last night. We're talking guys with no defender w/i ten yards. Any QB worth his salt can complete such passes. Burrow rarely has such guys to throw to. Lou A needs to answer for this. How did that happen?

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, New Jersey Bengal said:

Including burrow 

Yep.

Can't wait to see what Col Joseph Lee Burrow has to

say to Father or Mother this week.

Dearest Father.

Sunday we were ravaged by an upstart rag tag mob of Texas ruffians 

victims of out own overconfidence and looking ahead to the battlefield

Thursday night in Nevermore and the evasive Rat, Lemur.  

My usually trusty sidearm misfired twice adding to our woes.  

We thought the game was won after the first skirmish and did not

get back into battle until the final two and a half minutes only to have our hopes

dashed by the usually reliable Sgt Boyd dropping a dookie in his bed roll .  Also dropping other things elsewhere. 

In the words of my trusted adjunct,  Maj Chase, "Someone else has got to make plays".

Love to mother and I will have your old uniform jacket back to you as soon as

Pvt Volson is finished cleaning it.

Joseph

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Griever said:

Yikes...

Yeah. Culture when you are losing is huge. It's easy to have a good one when you are winning. When you are losing if your culture isn't good, you get stuff like that. Diggs has always been a culture killer. It's one thing to want to be at a place that you can win a championship and get frustrated when the team isnt doing enough to get there. It's another when you are a locker room cancer.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Sea Ray said:

I think he's pretty darn good but my issue on Sunday was how wide open his receivers were. Lapham talked about this on WLW last night. We're talking guys with no defender w/i ten yards. Any QB worth his salt can complete such passes. Burrow rarely has such guys to throw to. Lou A needs to answer for this. How did that happen?

Miscommunication with the safeties, looking a Nick Scott and Dax Hill..those guys played awful. Not sure why the Bengals front office thought Nick Scott would be an adequate starter when he didn't start for the Rams and his highlights consist of blindsiding a slot receiver coming from the middle of the field, that is not going to help you when you are playing Mahommes or any other QB that can throw the ball deep consistently. 

Losing Bates and Bell was a huge loss that cost us this game last week as the safety play atrocious. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

Miscommunication with the safeties, looking a Nick Scott and Dax Hill..those guys played awful. Not sure why the Bengals front office thought Nick Scott would be an adequate starter when he didn't start for the Rams and his highlights consist of blindsiding a slot receiver coming from the middle of the field, that is not going to help you when you are playing Mahommes or any other QB that can throw the ball deep consistently. 

Losing Bates and Bell was a huge loss that cost us this game last week as the safety play atrocious. 

They were prepared to lose Bates obviously with drafting Dax, who has played well but obviously doesn't have the experience that Jessie had, he will eventually be a top tier safety when he gets that experience imho.

I don't think the team was prepared to lose Bell and Nick Scott has been God awful. I'm at the point with him that if he costs us another game and we are basically out of the race, then I start Battle full time and let him get some experience so we know where we are at with the other spot.

• Upvote 1