Head coach  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the head coach?

• Paul Brown
    • Forrest Gregg
    • Sam Wyche
    • Marvin Lewis
    • Zac Taylor

Try to consider Paul Brown only for his success as the Bengals head coach. 

OC: Bill Walsh

DC: Lou Anarumo
ST: Darrin Simmons

QB: Joe Burr

RB: Corey Dillon

LT: Anthony Munoz 

LG: Andrew Whitworth

C : Bob Johnson

RG: Max Montoya

RT: Willie Anderson
TE: Rodney Holman
WR: JaMarr Chase

WR: Chad Johnson

WR: Isaac Curtis

K: Evan McPherson
P: Pat MacInally

KR: Adam Jones

PR: LeMar Parrish

DE: Coy Bacon

NT: Tim Krumrie

3T: Geno Atkins

DE: Tre Hendrickson
OLB: Reggie Williams 

MLB: Vontaze Burfict

OLB: Takeo Spikes
CB: Ken Riley

CB: Jonathan Joseph
Slot: Mike Hilton
SS: David Fulcher
FS: Jessie Bates

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jason said:

Why? How many playoff games did he win as the Bengals head coach?

Fastest HC to take an expansion team to the playoffs in an era where you were given NOTHING to start with. 

Went to the playoffs 3 times in 8 years.  No wins.  Tough road against the emerging Squealers juggernaught in the mid 70s.

Incredible coaching tree.  One of the best coaches of all time.  He didn't always have the horses, but got a lot out of what he had.

Wyche could have been the next Bill Walsh, but couldn't keep his mouth shut.  He tore down as many Bengals teams as he built up.

• Upvote 1

I went with Paul Brown, but it was a hard decision between him and Zac Taylor because football has changed so much. What could PB have done with a QB like Burrow? He got unlucky with Greg Cook and his injuries. Would PB’s coaching style go over well with this team or this era’s players? Would Zac Taylor look as good without Burrow? Zac Taylor has cultivated a certain culture and found talented, unselfish players to fit that culture. PB had talented players, but his culture was basically, “My way or the highway”. Yes, PB took an expansion team to the playoffs in 3 years. Taylor took a 2-14 team to the SB in 3 years. 

• Upvote 1

If the context of the choice is—as previously presented—the guy you want for “that game” (championship), then it gets much murkier. 

PB never had the “that game” to make a case. Forrest Gregg did have the “that game” (AFC Championship, assisted by Russian Front weather)…but didn’t in the SB

Sam had several “that games” in ‘88 (everyone sort of forgets the final regular season game against WASH, the Divisional Round against SEA and the AFC Championship Game). Didn’t in the SB. 

In the context of delivering in “that game”, I would tend to lean towards Sam. ZT is 1A—as he has had more than a few “that games” in the past two seasons. 

• Upvote 1

I would put Paul Brown on the Mount Rushmore of the NFL. The NFL owes more to him than perhaps any other innovating mind.

But to me, those talents are less of him as a Bengals coach and more related him as a pioneer of the game itself. 

Which is why I voted for Sam still. 

• Upvote 1

If it wasn't for PB starting and coaching this team, we wouldn't be having any of these conversations, so that's why my vote went that way. I was leaning towards Sam, and was at the "don't live in Cleveland" game, but still had to go with Paul.

:gobengals:

• Upvote 1

No question Paul Brown was an awesome coach and terrific innovator for football.  However, in keeping with the spirit of the question, I'm picking a coach now to win the big game today and with the way the game is played today.  To me, that means motivating players, scheming against the opposition, and winning the game.  That being said, my choices came down to Zac and Sam and ultimately Sam got my vote.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, esjbh2 said:

No question Paul Brown was an awesome coach and terrific innovator for football.  However, in keeping with the spirit of the question, I'm picking a coach now to win the big game today and with the way the game is played today.  To me, that means motivating players, scheming against the opposition, and winning the game.  That being said, my choices came down to Zac and Sam and ultimately Sam got my vote.

If that's the measurement I go with Forrest Gregg.  That guy had tons of respect.  I'd run through a wall for him.  Wyche was a good guy and a brilliant offensive mind, but he tore the team apart with his off the field shenanigans.  Wyche had a moment, but then blew it up himself. 

2 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

If that's the measurement I go with Forrest Gregg.  That guy had tons of respect.  I'd run through a wall for him.  Wyche was a good guy and a brilliant offensive mind, but he tore the team apart with his off the field shenanigans.  Wyche had a moment, but then blew it up himself. 

Yeah fair points.  However, and this may just be my interpretation/perception, but if we are talking playing the game today, I'm not sure that the coaching style Forrest had would be as effective?

IMHO, the whole today vs the past, styles of play, styles of coaching, evolution of the game, etc, etc, were what made this exercise challenging and fun...and certainly debatable/discussionable (is that a word?) in an interesting way too.  I love hearing peoples thoughts, recollections, and takeaways especially on the older stuff.  I wasn't nearly as much of a fan back in the day and only casually followed and mostly only because they were the local team.

• Upvote 1

My issue with Sam was in the Super Bowl…when he clearly played conservative once inside FG range on their last(?) drive, setting up for the FG instead of trying to score a TD.  😡

[My perception was confirmed by NFL Films’ piece on that Super Bowl, with Sam saying something to that effect.]

• Upvote 1

Anything other than PB is straight blasphemy and is an indictment of the football IQ of the posters on this board. Brown is one the best football coaches ever, he was so good they named a team after him...what other coach can say that? He could adjust to today's game as he was already years ahead of his peers. 

Sam Wyche over Paul Brown...seriously...in what world was Sam Wyche better than Paul Brown. He was a good coach but nowhere near Paul Brown. And Zac Taylor...well, he's good but having Burrow hides many of his flaws....you see what he did when he had Andy Dalton, a guy that Marvin Lewis went to the playoffs with multiple times. 

29 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

Anything other than PB is straight blasphemy and is an indictment of the football IQ of the posters on this board. Brown is one the best football coaches ever, he was so good they named a team after him...what other coach can say that? He could adjust to today's game as he was already years ahead of his peers. 

Sam Wyche over Paul Brown...seriously...in what world was Sam Wyche better than Paul Brown. He was a good coach but nowhere near Paul Brown. And Zac Taylor...well, he's good but having Burrow hides many of his flaws....you see what he did when he had Andy Dalton, a guy that Marvin Lewis went to the playoffs with multiple times. 

Paul Brown made his hay as the Cleveland coach. 

15 minutes ago, Jason said:

Paul Brown made his hay as the Cleveland coach. 

Right, but he didn't forget everything about coaching once he left Cleveland. He was still a great coach here in Cincinnati, he just had less talented players initially. 

If you gave him an all time team to coach instead of an expansion team full of rookies and cast offs then that's a different conversation.