WEEK 2: vs RAVENS (GameDey thread)

2 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

The worst part isn't the injury to Burrow.

It's our offensive line doesn't look good...our offense looks vanilla and boring with lots of weapons

Our defensive game plan was what today? Let them not throw deep bombs? 

I think we may be over rating our systems on both offense and defense and that will last until those guys are gone. 

I don't think it's just scheme that may be overrated. They look like they spent the off-season reading about themselves. These other teams don't give a shit, you don't start the season with extra credit.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I don't think it's just scheme that may be overrated. They look like they spent the off-season reading about themselves. These other teams don't give a shit, you don't start the season with extra credit.

I’m going to throw a radical thought out there that came to me as I was indulging in a little post game gardening therapy. Is it possible, just maybe, that the league has figured out how to defend our offense? The Browns have, for whatever reason, had our number by playing press coverage against our WRs. Maybe the rest of the league is seeing that. And, if that is the case, how does the brain trust combat that?

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Shebengal said:

I’m going to throw a radical thought out there that came to me as I was indulging in a little post game gardening therapy. Is it possible, just maybe, that the league has figured out how to defend our offense? The Browns have, for whatever reason, had our number by playing press coverage against our WRs. Maybe the rest of the league is seeing that. And, if that is the case, how does the brain trust combat that?

I said last week that teams will keep pressuring our OL until we burn them. If we don't, then they will keep up the pressure. The KC OL is weaker than last year and Mahomes is having troubles as well. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

I said last week that teams will keep pressuring our OL until we burn them. If we don't, then they will keep up the pressure. The KC OL is weaker than last year and Mahomes is having troubles as well. 

Mahomes doesn’t have Chase, or Higgins. Bengals have both. Bengals should be scoring each and every drive. If a real offensive mind had these weapons, we would see this offenses true potential. Until then…

2 hours ago, DanvilleBengal said:

Im gonna get flamed for this, but Im getting the feeling we arent gonna be in the playoffs this season.  That calf injury in training camp forces Burrow to sit the entire preseason, where he misses valuable time and reps, and after how these two performances, its clear that the missing time he lost with the starters is showing.  Defense is doing all they can but the offense isnt doing their job and the losses are showing.  

Now I understand our 0-2 start from last year and how it ended. we got into a 10 game winning streak afyer getting punched in the face in Cleveland and lost in the AFC championship game.  I doubt we are gonna run into another streak after being punched in the face again and not doing enough to make up for it in the following game.  And to be frank, if we decided that Burrow still wasnt ready for the regular season instead of rushing, we probably wou.d still be 0 for 2023.  We are 0-2 and 0-2 in the divison, which is close to a dealbreaker for the division title.  Can we at least get a win to get off our backs?? At this point, Im starting to have doubts with the Rams on Monday night.  This is getting closer and closer to a slippery slope, if we arent on one already.

Watching Miami right now and they have motion on almost every play.  Their offense is much faster and more complex than ours.  That is what missing most of training camp does to you, forces the offense to simplify the playbook. 

• Upvote 1

Haven’t read but a few of the comments in this thread… but from my perch in Section 104 today, I did conclude one thing which absolutely must be done: 

Tee Higgins needs to be on this team for many/many years. His is a skill set that no other receiver on this offense possesses: he gets open with ease…uses his size to shut out defenders… and scores. 

Everyone talks about Chase…but Tee may actually be the straw which stirs the drink. The Bengals have to keep him. Period. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

Watching Miami right now and they have motion on almost every play.  Their offense is much faster and more complex than ours.  That is what missing most of training camp does to you, forces the offense to simplify the playbook. 

I dont think it has anything to do with training camp. Burrow knows the plays. They are bad plays. 

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

Zach Taylor is a fine head coach.  Good leadership and has done a great job bringing guys together.  As an OC and playcaller he leaves a TON to be desired.  I've said this for years.  It seems they have made adjustments every sesaon to what other teams are doing to the Bengals, but with Burrow being less than 100% it looks like a tough road ahead. 

I hope they can bounce back, but the path is difficult.  Might not be their year.

2 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

Zach Taylor is a fine head coach.  Good leadership and has done a great job bringing guys together.  As an OC and playcaller he leaves a TON to be desired.  I've said this for years.  It seems they have made adjustments every sesaon to what other teams are doing to the Bengals, but with Burrow being less than 100% it looks like a tough road ahead. 

I hope they can bounce back, but the path is difficult.  Might not be their year.

If the leg is really such an issue they should shut him down until it's not, particularly after reaggravating it. Maybe use that time to develop an OL that can keep him upright and block a simple running play.

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

If the leg is really such an issue they should shut him down until it's not, particularly after reaggravating it. Maybe use that time to develop an OL that can keep him upright and block a simple running play.

Develope an olineman.

Who have they truly developed ?

This is Pollack's unit.

Why is it that the young ones 

stay less than average?

Some just plain bad.

Burrow looking 2 options then dump off.

Like Harry said..shit getting old.

• Upvote 1

In his first 2 games of the season, Burrow is now 1-7. Then again, that includes a rookie year, and 3 years now coming off injuries. 

But eventually, he has always righted the ship by December when it mattered. The only caveat there is that his injuries healed by then. Will his calf really get better though without resting it? 

3 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Develope an olineman.

This is Pollack's unit.

stay less than average?

Some just plain bad.

Volson is the only one that comes to mind and so far he's just struggling to maintain something close to average.

A decade worth of poor drafting and bad trades/FA acquisitions have dug a pretty big hole. OBJr and Karras are solid but the Bengals had nothing to do with developing them, they were proven players long before they got here.

Whoever they've got evaluating OL prospects sucks at it and should be replaced. Have to wonder if Coach Ketchup is still whispering in someone's ear.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Honestly, and with Williams excepted, the OL did a decent job from the middle of the second quarter forward.  Pressure came from the right (shocker) and Burrow made his throws.  Unfortunately, Burrow cant move around much and that makes him a sitting duck.  Also doesn't have time to go through progressions which is part of what's limiting Chase, IMO.  No time for downfield throws.  Also, Mixon ran well yesterday.  OL should get credit for that.  Mixon ran like a power back, which is what he needs to do to be effective.  He isn't elusive or explosive any more.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Develope an olineman.

This is Pollack's unit.

stay less than average?

Some just plain bad.

Burrow looking 2 options then dump off.

Like Harry said..shit getting old.

Pollack should be looking over his shoulder.  Bengals have spent a lot of money on the OL and it hasn't gotten significantly better. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Volson is the only one that comes to mind and so far he's just struggling to maintain something close to average.

A decade worth of poor drafting and bad trades/FA acquisitions have dug a pretty big hole. OBJr and Karras are solid but the Bengals had nothing to do with developing them, they were proven players long before they got here.

Whoever they've got evaluating OL prospects sucks at it and should be replaced. Have to wonder if Coach Ketchup is still whispering in someone's ear.

Alexander has nothing to do with this, this is a Duke Tobin and Zac Taylor issue. 

2 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Honestly, and with Williams excepted, the OL did a decent job from the middle of the second quarter forward.  Pressure came from the right (shocker) and Burrow made his throws.  Unfortunately, Burrow cant move around much and that makes him a sitting duck.  Also doesn't have time to go through progressions which is part of what's limiting Chase, IMO.  No time for downfield throws.  Also, Mixon ran well yesterday.  OL should get credit for that.  Mixon ran like a power back, which is what he needs to do to be effective.  He isn't elusive or explosive any more.

Jonah has struggled so far, but he's playing a new position so he will need some time to get it together. 

As for Burrow, I think sitting him down is the best thing for the long-term success of this franchise. I would hate to see the Bengals run Burrown into the ground to save a season when he's said he wants to be here for life. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, PatternMaster said:

Alexander has nothing to do with this, this is a Duke Tobin and Zac Taylor issue. 

Jonah has struggled so far, but he's playing a new position so he will need some time to get it together. 

As for Burrow, I think sitting him down is the best thing for the long-term success of this franchise. I would hate to see the Bengals run Burrown into the ground to save a season when he's said he wants to be here for life. 

I would agree, but the problem is he looks just like he did at LT. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

Not directly. But you know hoe Mike Brown is with former long time coaches - they become consultants. But still, you're absolutely right, it is a Tobin/Zac/Pollack problem.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Pollack should be looking over his shoulder.  Bengals have spent a lot of money on the OL and it hasn't gotten significantly better. 

Right. Just because he's not Alexander of Turner, doesn't mean he's good. 

I'm not educated enough in talent evaluation, scheme, any of that stuff. It seems like the only one who is not getting his ass kicked is Brown. Maybe Karras. The others just don't look great.

D-Line - BJ Hill is a backup. We should be getting pressure up the middle, but Lamar just ran freely straight ahead. Even Hendrickson looks meh on the edge. And it's like we weren't covering anyone in the middle of the field. 

1 minute ago, Cat said:

Not directly. But you know hoe Mike Brown is with former long time coaches - they become consultants. But still, you're absolutely right, it is a Tobin/Zac/Pollack problem.

Don't forget the clown Taylor originally hired, Jim Turner, who was most recently fired from Texas State for "an incident where he was "doing or saying something controversial,"  https://footballscoop.com/news/texas-state-reportedly-making-changes-on-the-offensive-side-of-the-ball which is very surprising given his track record....

Taylor seems like a good guy and all but if not for Burrow he would be exposed as one of the worst HCs in NFL history, which is what he was before Burrow showed up. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Cat said:

Right. Just because he's not Alexander of Turner, doesn't mean he's good. 

I'm not educated enough in talent evaluation, scheme, any of that stuff. It seems like the only one who is not getting his ass kicked is Brown. Maybe Karras. The others just don't look great.

D-Line - BJ Hill is a backup. We should be getting pressure up the middle, but Lamar just ran freely straight ahead. Even Hendrickson looks meh on the edge. And it's like we weren't covering anyone in the middle of the field. 

I don't think the Bengals could get anyone better than Pollack or they would have, they tried to replace him with Jim Turner and that was a clusterfuck.