I thought we did not live in Cleveland?

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/columnists/jason-williams/2023/09/19/nfl-stadium-experience-fans-fight-cincinnati-dallas-houston-beer-drunk/70894223007/

Williams: Brawls, puking, f-bombs. It's all part of the NFL stadium experience

1398199394000-jwilliams.jpg?width=48&heiJason Williams
Cincinnati Enquirer

“Did you have fun at the game?” I texted a friend after filing my column on Sunday night.

“Saw somebody throw up in the stadium, another person get arrested at The Banks and still another get in a fight,” she responded after going to the Bengals game at Paycor Stadium.

Yep, pretty much sums up the NFL stadium experience. Brawls. Puking. F-bombs. All that for just $225 a ticket (as my friend paid). What a deal!

NFL barbarism scored a hat trick (yes, I know, wrong sport) on Sunday. Some fans flexed their beer muscles in Cincinnati, Dallas and Houston, where fights broke out on stadium concourses. It was particularly bloody in Dallas.

You’ve seen the viral video or heard about the 25-year-old barbarian in tiger-striped overalls who viciously headbutted a dude on the Paycor Stadium concourse even as he was handcuffed and being restrained by sheriff's deputies.

Get used to seeing more of this type of behavior at an NFL stadium near you. Sadly, there isn’t much of a solution to curb the barbarism.

These stadiums all have plenty of gameday security already. The NFL answers to no one and is immune to accountability. The world’s most popular league by revenue isn’t going to suddenly gain a conscience and start running PSAs on the dangers of binge-drinking and respecting other fans. PSAs wouldn't work anyway.

The league is in bed with major beer makers. Bud Light is reportedly spending an “enormous amount” of money on NFL advertising this season, according to Yahoo Finance.

Let’s say you’re tired of going to games because of the uncouth and vulgar behavior. You’re going to watch the game on TV instead. Unfortunately, you’re still contributing to the binge-drinking culture of the NFL. Television advertising is where the NFL makes most of its beer money. I'm not casting stones, merely stating a fact. I watch NFL games on TV, too.

Barstool Sports celebrates this stuff. The digital media site shared the video of the headbutter. Barstool promotes piggish behavior among fans – binge-drinking, overindulging on crappy food and yelling vulgarities at the teams you hate (and love, actually), and antagonizing opposing fans. Real winners.

Generally, you don’t see this churlish behavior at Major League Baseball and college football games. Baseball isn’t preceded by hourslong tailgate parties. Baseball also doesn't typically attract a clientele that thrives on watching violence and constant action.

College football has tailgate parties. It's a violent sport, too. But many fans have a personal connection to the university as an alum, donor, employee or family member of a graduate. That can foster a level of respect for fellow fans and the stadium.

People ask me regularly about going to NFL games. I always tell them, and have for years: An NFL stadium is no place for a kid under high school age. I'd never take my sons, 10 and 6, to an NFL game.

Sunday reinforced that.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I've been watching the "Welcome to Wrexham" series about the Wales soccer team, Ryan Reynolds/Rob McElhanney, UK soccer leagues, etc. and the episode I just watched was about "Hooligans".  Hopefully that is not the destination the NFL experience is headed.  BTW, pretty enjoyable series IMHO (on Hulu). 

• Like 1

Never seen anything from fans at an NFL game that was out of line with the average rock concert, county fair, or neighborhood bar on a Saturday night. Then again I'm not clutching my pearls at the thought of hearing "F Bombs".

Put 50,000+ people in one spot and frankly you're lucky if no one gets stabbed. That's humanity, it's hardly an NFL problem.

No secret I think the league is corrupt AF but blaming this on them or Bud Light (🙄) is ridiculous. 

• Like 1

Still mulling this over...

Oktoberfest + binge drinking at the stadium + The Banks DORA after was the perfect storm.

I'm also of the mind that there are now more than ever two types of fans and LOTS of daytrippers

who go.  Those who go for the game and those who go for the game day experience of dressing up,

binge drinking and bragging rights often in Ms Chokesondick's 4th grade class the next day...

"I went to a Bengals game yesterday".

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, esjbh2 said:

I've been watching the "Welcome to Wrexham" series about the Wales soccer team, Ryan Reynolds/Rob McElhanney, UK soccer leagues, etc. and the episode I just watched was about "Hooligans".  Hopefully that is not the destination the NFL experience is headed.  BTW, pretty enjoyable series IMHO (on Hulu). 

Hooligans   have run rampant in British soccer for decades.

Now coming to a town near you..😎

17 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Hooligans   have run rampant in British soccer for decades.

Actually, that has all but ceased--at least within the stadium grounds and adjoining property. Not only has local/state laws been enacted against it, but the UK leagues have incorporated rather strict restrictions and safety procedures to combat it. If you look at matches at most levels of English/UK competition, you see this sort of anomaly that you won't see in other sports worldwide:

List of association football rivalries in the United Kingdom - Wikipedia 

Home and visiting supporters are separated from one another. Imagine how few disturbances in the NFL might be avoided by just doing this? 

Also, this comes into play:

Drinking At Football Matches In View Of The Pitch Could Be Brought Back In  Britain

In the EFL and Premier League all fans are banned from consuming alcohol “in view of the pitch”. Alcohol is sold in the concourses of stadiums before and during the game but cannot be brought into the stands. In addition, movement within the stands is regulated by "need only" (have to go to the loo) basis. Coupled with the fact that the match never actually stops until halftime/end of match, there is even less movement. 

There are other measures, of course, but it is literally impossible to find the fights and disruptions in or around football events in the country. 

Do they fight/get pissed elsewhere? Of course--but even then, it is confined to pubs away from the grounds. My ex-pat British mates here in Columbus tell me even that is somewhat a rarity, as the pissed-to-the-gills supporters of visiting sides just go home after matches, and know better than to enter a real rival pub in their colors. It happens, of course, but the mayhem isn't taking place whilst one is seated in a stadium.   

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Le Tigre said:

Actually, that has all but ceased--at least within the stadium grounds and adjoining property. Not only has local/state laws been enacted against it, but the UK leagues have incorporated rather strict restrictions and safety procedures to combat it. If you look at matches at most levels of English/UK competition, you see this sort of anomaly that you won't see in other sports worldwide:

List of association football rivalries in the United Kingdom - Wikipedia 

Home and visiting supporters are separated from one another. Imagine how few disturbances in the NFL might be avoided by just doing this? 

Also, this comes into play:

Drinking At Football Matches In View Of The Pitch Could Be Brought Back In  Britain

In the EFL and Premier League all fans are banned from consuming alcohol “in view of the pitch”. Alcohol is sold in the concourses of stadiums before and during the game but cannot be brought into the stands. In addition, movement within the stands is regulated by "need only" (have to go to the loo) basis. Coupled with the fact that the match never actually stops until halftime/end of match, there is even less movement. 

There are other measures, of course, but it is literally impossible to find the fights and disruptions in or around football events in the country. 

Do they fight/get pissed elsewhere? Of course--but even then, it is confined to pubs away from the grounds. My ex-pat British mates here in Columbus tell me even that is somewhat a rarity, as the pissed-to-the-gills supporters of visiting sides just go home after matches, and know better than to enter a real rival pub in their colors. It happens, of course, but the mayhem isn't taking place whilst one is seated in a stadium.   

Great points..tks

• Like 1

A guy got beat to death at Sunday's Patriots/Dolphins game. 

https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/19/us/dolphins-patriots-nfl-fan-death-gillette-stadium/index.html

Part of it is our society.  The other part is alcohol.  Too many people all juiced up who can't behave while pissed.  Most of the college games I go to don't sell in the stadium.  Seems to work.  Yeah, folks are pretty drunk from the tailgates, but sober up during the game.  Good for all of you that go to these games, but I really don't want to deal with what I've seen at the past few NFL games I've attended.

• Upvote 4

16 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/19/us/dolphins-patriots-nfl-fan-death-gillette-stadium/index.html

Part of it is our society.  The other part is alcohol.  Too many people all juiced up who can't behave while pissed.  Most of the college games I go to don't sell in the stadium.  Seems to work.  Yeah, folks are pretty drunk from the tailgates, but sober up during the game.  Good for all of you that go to these games, but I really don't want to deal with what I've seen at the past few NFL games I've attended.

Man, if this couldn't get more tragic...

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/patriots-fan-who-died-altercation-game-once-saved-girl-danger-drowning

16 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Sad.  Is a sport really worth assaulting and killing someone.  His family will probably sue the NFL, Team and City.  Just a hunch. 

3 hours ago, TigerJ@w said:

Sad.  Is a sport really worth assaulting and killing someone.  His family will probably sue the NFL, Team and City.  Just a hunch. 

Sounds like it was a mutual fight and the guy got unlucky...but no, no game is worth fans killing each other over. 

I've been to a few sporting events in my life and every time there is some dumb shit happening it's normally between two drunk people. The NFL especially has a problem with alcohol abuse at its events, mainly because of the tailgating culture in which people get drunk hours before the game and then drink more when get into the stadium. 

19 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

Sounds like it was a mutual fight and the guy got unlucky...but no, no game is worth fans killing each other over. 

I've been to a few sporting events in my life and every time there is some dumb shit happening it's normally between two drunk people. The NFL especially has a problem with alcohol abuse at its events, mainly because of the tailgating culture in which people get drunk hours before the game and then drink more when get into the stadium. 

Agree.

The late starting games are even worse... extra time to drink.

Monday Night should be a real fun fest starting late.

Probably fewer kids because of school.  Or taking a day off.

Last Sunday Oktoberfest was going on downtown before the game.

Also saw a lot more drinking and partying at The Banks after.

Traffic going home was the worse I have seen in quite awhile.

I think the "game experience" was the worse all around I have been to just because of

the number of people and drunks.

Stealers games you expect it but just the hype and numbers of people who were there to

party rather than enjoy a game was the worse I have seen.  

And the number of kids as mentioned in the article.

Two kids accompanied by their mother came into Ruby's downtown wearing street vendor bought

t-shirs that said "Fuck (something)" on the front and "Bitch, I'm a Bengals Fan" on the back.

Son and I surprised they let them in.

A real shit show and the poor performance on the field just added to it.

• Upvote 1

On 9/19/2023 at 8:26 AM, T-Dub said:

Never seen anything from fans at an NFL game that was out of line with the average rock concert, county fair, or neighborhood bar on a Saturday night. Then again I'm not clutching my pearls at the thought of hearing "F Bombs".

Put 50,000+ people in one spot and frankly you're lucky if no one gets stabbed. That's humanity, it's hardly an NFL problem.

No secret I think the league is corrupt AF but blaming this on them or Bud Light (🙄) is ridiculous. 

writing an article stating F bombs as a valid point of something being out of hand is just insane, even in the midwest like cincinnati. jason williams fucking sucks.

On 9/19/2023 at 9:13 PM, UncleEarl said:

jesus christ.

id love to eliminate alcohol, absolutely never happen, having the alcohol free sections is even a laugh, as they just walk out to the concorse and pound a beer and come back, halftime, etc.. 

as a non drinker id love it to be alcohol free.

On 9/21/2023 at 10:40 AM, PatternMaster said:

been educating my son on behaviors at events and in crowds and with people. like you can talk shit sports wise, when it starts getting out of hand know how to backpeddle out of a stupid situation. you NEVER know who is on the other end of a fight, and what, if anything, they have to live for, he has a ton to live for, its not worth it for some fun trash talk at a sporting event. he is off at school learning just how strange of a place people are in their own heads, people getting mad of the dumbest shit, learning peoples insecurities lash at as anger for no reason, etc.  too many adults are living some fake "dont disrespect me" life where fighting or killing someone means less than being in an argument you walk away from and go on about your day.

my kid growing up in parker colorado the whitest place i have ever lived, he isnt experienced in any crowd situations or fight situations other than white kids with feathered hair and some roid rage. he is in an even smaller town in nebraska for school so still not much variety, but there are kids on the football team from vegas, compton, houston, etc. buuuuut its still a private college that aint cheap even with sports scholarship.

so i always teach him and point out stuff when at games na in other cities to try to prevent him from getting caught up in something violent over nothing.

people are wild.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, GoBengals said:

too many adults are living some fake "dont disrespect me" life where fighting or killing someone means less than being in an argument you walk away from and go on about your day.

We.may not agree on much but that's some of the realest shit I've seen on here in a minute.

Worth noting that's it's becoming just as common in BFE Nebraska as Compton or wherever.  Different reasons prob best left to that other subforum, but the same sort of inferiority complex with the same results.

Good on you for teaching that lesson yourself before he has to learn the hard way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

We.may not agree on much but that's some of the realest shit I've seen on here in a minute.

Worth noting that's it's becoming just as common in BFE Nebraska as Compton or wherever.  Different reasons prob best left to that other subforum, but the same sort of inferiority complex with the same results.

Good on you for teaching that lesson yourself before he has to learn the hard way.

yea just less often in BFE i assume, it popped up again today when we chatted, some kid/teammate on the basketball team, for no reason will just not fist bump teammates after practice and put on some hard persona, and he was trying to call them out solo later on, like hey stop acting like a chick your team is here to support, and dude is like "dont say that man you dont know what im going through" *roll eyes*

so i had to be like dude you know he aint going through shit aside from being hung up on his ex who dumped him, but he THINKS he is going through some serious stuff, so dont push it, just blind support and move on, if you can help him out, cool, but he isnt gonna respond to being called out like you would if someone called you out.

all the little shit. dudes 6'6" 210, my kids 5'11" 160. just let him be a hoe.

hes there to hoop, get straight A's and have fun. nothing else is his responsability

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 9/19/2023 at 10:26 AM, T-Dub said:

Classic...

12 hours ago, GoBengals said:

writing an article stating F bombs as a valid point of something being out of hand is just insane, even in the midwest like cincinnati. jason williams fucking sucks.

jesus christ.

id love to eliminate alcohol, absolutely never happen, having the alcohol free sections is even a laugh, as they just walk out to the concorse and pound a beer and come back, halftime, etc.. 

as a non drinker id love it to be alcohol free.

been educating my son on behaviors at events and in crowds and with people. like you can talk shit sports wise, when it starts getting out of hand know how to backpeddle out of a stupid situation. you NEVER know who is on the other end of a fight, and what, if anything, they have to live for, he has a ton to live for, its not worth it for some fun trash talk at a sporting event. he is off at school learning just how strange of a place people are in their own heads, people getting mad of the dumbest shit, learning peoples insecurities lash at as anger for no reason, etc.  too many adults are living some fake "dont disrespect me" life where fighting or killing someone means less than being in an argument you walk away from and go on about your day.

my kid growing up in parker colorado the whitest place i have ever lived, he isnt experienced in any crowd situations or fight situations other than white kids with feathered hair and some roid rage. he is in an even smaller town in nebraska for school so still not much variety, but there are kids on the football team from vegas, compton, houston, etc. buuuuut its still a private college that aint cheap even with sports scholarship.

so i always teach him and point out stuff when at games na in other cities to try to prevent him from getting caught up in something violent over nothing.

people are wild.

Wish more parents with kids you son’s age taught them the same.  I was a youth and junior high lacrosse coach for 7 years and a high school ref for 8.

The dramatic change in behavior over the last 10 years, with both the parents and players at the youth level is sad.  Parents throwing F-bombs and racial slurs is something new at the Junior High level.

Trash talking isn’t that new but openly trash talking while standing next to a ref is. Never had fights at any level until my last 2 years as a ref. Oddly enough, it was after the Covid year.  These were not baseball fights either, legit MMA punches being thrown. 

Gotta believe social media is causing most of this. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SF2 said:

Wish more parents with kids you son’s age taught them the same.  I was a youth and junior high lacrosse coach for 7 years and a high school ref for 8.

The dramatic change in behavior over the last 10 years, with both the parents and players at the youth level is sad.  Parents throwing F-bombs and racial slurs is something new at the Junior High level.

Trash talking isn’t that new but openly trash talking while standing next to a ref is. Never had fights at any level until my last 2 years as a ref. Oddly enough, it was after the Covid year.  These were not baseball fights either, legit MMA punches being thrown. 

Gotta believe social media is causing most of this. 

Eh…I think social media is just the conduit.  We seem to be obsessed with ourselves and how we want things to be.  No respect for those who think or want things differently.  “Give me mine” seems to be the thought process.  

I live near a middle school.  When my kids were there 10 years or so ago people would line up in their cars in the right lane to pick up their kids after school.  Now they line up in both lanes totally shutting down the road.  They don’t care about anyone else or being polite to others.  It’s just about them.  Society is changing as it always does, but not for the better this time. 

This ends my old man rant for the day. 

• Upvote 1

The legacy and alternative sports media is also a fueling point in the over-dependence on the “sports drug”.

They make every jot and tittle in every micro-occurrence in the daily life of athletes/teams, cataclysmic events which demand immediate reaction. Build this up over the course of week or weeks, and the pressure on the brains of even average fan becomes intense. Mix that in with booze before/during/after games, creates a powder keg. 

I do not read/listen/watch to any of these bloviating tank-top wearing clowns—nor pretty sports babes either. The closest I get to it is here—and I don’t read/listen to those either. 

Just watch the damn games. Easier on the psyche.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

The legacy and alternative sports media is also a fueling point in the over-dependence on the “sports drug”.

They make every jot and tittle in every micro-occurrence in the daily life of athletes/teams, cataclysmic events which demand immediate reaction. Build this up over the course of week or weeks, and the pressure on the brains of even average fan becomes intense. Mix that in with booze before/during/after games, creates a powder keg. 

I do not read/listen/watch to any of these bloviating tank-top wearing clowns—nor pretty sports babes either. The closest I get to it is here—and I don’t read/listen to those either. 

Just watch the damn games. Easier on the psyche.

To be honest, with the major exception of Squeeler games, the Bengal games are relatively fight free, with a few exceptions.

Seeing a lot more and brutal fights league wide which seems to be a reflection of our society recently.