Ja’Marr Chase: I’m open, Joe Burrow’s gonna get back to it in no time

Ja’Marr Chase: I’m open, Joe Burrow’s gonna get back to it in no time

Published October 1, 2023 05:19 PM
  •  
  • The  Bengals lost for the third time in four games on Sunday and their offense produced just three points, so it probably didn’t come as a great surprise to many people to see a number of social media posts showing a brief clip of wide receiver Ja’Marr Chase in the locker room with captions about him expressing his frustration with the offense. 

The three-second clip does not show the question posed to Chase or any of his other thoughts about the 27-3 loss to the Titans, but captures his response. 

“No. I’m open, I’m always fucking open. Excuse my profanity,” Chase said. 

A longer video posted by Joe Danneman of FOX19 provides more context for Chase’s comments, however. He was asked about the amount of pressure that the Titans sent after the Bengals in Sunday’s loss. 

“We couldn’t capitalize on those blitzes when they did ‘em. On our end, I guess the receivers didn’t create enough plays,” Chase said. 

He was then asked if he’s felt like he’s had less time to get open, which led to the response about always being open. At the very start of that clip, Chase is asked about quarterback Joe Burrow playing through a calf injury. He said he’s never seen Burrow try to deal with something like this and expressed his confidence that things will get better soon. 

“He’s just going through a little adversity, he’s gonna get back to it in no time,” Chase said. 

Chase and the rest of the Bengals have every reason to feel frustrated by how this year has started, but it doesn’t seem like Chase was dropping the bomb that some believed he was dropping in his postgame comments. 

profootballtalk.com

54 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Media innuendo in search of an crisis.

If not, they’ll make one up. 

After the performance today against a very average team and the current record, the media doesn’t need to create a crisis. 

Burrow is putting up Zach Wilson type numbers. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, SF2 said:

After the performance today against a very average team and the current record, the media doesn’t need to create a crisis. 

You miss the point: when the chips go down, the media sharks come looking for a blood libel they can continue to exploit. 

Create a “locker room controversy”—whether it exists or not. 

• Upvote 1

If I were a defense, I'd blitz the isht out of the Bengals, too, until the Bengals showed they can stop it. Joe didn't play well, and I'm sure his mobility is hindered, but the OL didn't do him any favors either. Volson hasn't had a good start and Karras hasn't looked good, either. And today, I thought Orlando Brown really struggled too. And receivers need to do more to get open as well.

And I"m not convinced that Joe is the "usual Joe" at processing, either. He seems like one of those guy that needs reps, so missing virtually all of TC and limited practice time, that surely hasn't helped his mental game either.  Given Tee's reportedly fractured rib, they may miss him for a bit... and with Charlie Jones out too, they need more from Boyd and Irwin and the TEs. Hell, maybe Yoshi too.

I don't understand why they aren't running the ball more, even if they fall behind. They had time today IMO, and the just jettisoned the run early when Mixon was running well. Arguably, he's been their best offensive player so far this year. Why not feature him more? 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

You miss the point: when the chips go down, the media sharks come looking for a blood libel they can continue to exploit. 

Create a “locker room controversy”—whether it exists or not. 

Yeah, that is what the media does but the media wasn’t on the field today.  The Bengals had 3 points on 1 field goal attempt.  The offensive line is hot garbage.  

165 yards passing against a middle of the pack defense?   Mixon was doing well but we had to abandon the run quickly.  

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, texbengal said:

I don't understand why they aren't running the ball more, even if they fall behind. They had time today IMO, and the just jettisoned the run early when Mixon was running well. Arguably, he's been their best offensive player so far this year. Why not feature him more? 

That seems like a no-brainer doesn't it?  It protects Burrow AND the defense, which is getting wore out. Bengals were 15 seconds shy of a 10 minute time of possession deficit. I'm no pretty much fully in the sit Joe til after the bye camp.

18 minutes ago, gupps said:

That seems like a no-brainer doesn't it?  It protects Burrow AND the defense, which is getting wore out. Bengals were 15 seconds shy of a 10 minute time of possession deficit. I'm no pretty much fully in the sit Joe til after the bye camp.

We only had it for 10:30 or so in the second half.  The opening 2nd half drive by the Titans was soul crushing.  

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

Yeah, that is what the media does but the media wasn’t on the field today.  The Bengals had 3 points on 1 field goal attempt.  The offensive line is hot garbage.  

165 yards passing against a middle of the pack defense?   Mixon was doing well but we had to abandon the run quickly.  

Their secondary is awful also

4 hours ago, SF2 said:

You mentioned Zach Wilson..

During the second half I thought that JB was looking like Wilson.

Time to pull him for however long.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, texbengal said:

Because Zac Taylor is an offensive guru that knows more football than the rest of idiots, clearly a passing game with a one legged QB that can't throw the ball more than 10 yards is the best game plan. 

If the Bengals were smart they would run the ball at least 40 times a game to protect Burrow. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

Because Zac Taylor is an offensive guru that knows more football than the rest of idiots, clearly a passing game with a one legged QB that can't throw the ball more than 10 yards is the best game plan. 

If the Bengals were smart they would run the ball at least 40 times a game to protect Burrow. 

If the Bengals were smart, they wouldn’t have run Burrow out at all this season until fully healed. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

DING! DING! DING! (As my hubby always says when someone on TV says something he agrees with.)

Sometimes, I seriously question whether these coaches watch game tape of other teams to develop a game plan. If you know that the opposition sucks at run defense, you run more. If you see that the opposition has a good DL that gets to the QB often, you try to counteract that, especially if your QB is banged up. I don't think that the coaches game plan for what the opposition can and can't do. 

39 minutes ago, Shebengal said:

DING! DING! DING! (As my hubby always says when someone on TV says something he agrees with.)

Sometimes, I seriously question whether these coaches watch game tape of other teams to develop a game plan. If you know that the opposition sucks at run defense, you run more. If you see that the opposition has a good DL that gets to the QB often, you try to counteract that, especially if your QB is banged up. I don't think that the coaches game plan for what the opposition can and can't do. 

Or they don't 100% trust Mixon et al

49 minutes ago, Shebengal said:

Jeffrey Simmons dominated whichever interior lineman up against.

The Offensive line is absolutely the worst in the NFL..

When your highest olineman has a 60pff rating (,Karras) the offense turns to mush.

Add JB injury and this is what you are left to deal with..

Ugly..

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Jeffrey Simmons dominated whichever interior lineman up against.

The Offensive line is absolutely the worst in the NFL..

When your highest olineman has a 60pff rating (,Karras) the offense turns to mush.

Add JB injury and this is what you are left to deal with..

Ugly..

I have a hard time believing the offensive line can possibly be this pathetic based on lack of talent.  Everything our offense does looks like it is in slow motion.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, SF2 said:

I have a hard time believing the offensive line can possibly be this pathetic based on lack of talent.  Everything our offense does looks like it is in slow motion.  

I suppose when you sit guys all through preseason and then act like the first month of the regular season doesn't matter it might be hard to instill a sense of urgency. They're playing like they expect to wake up in January to find themselves in the AFCC game again as if by magic.  That's all coaching.

Someone needs to make them understand all they've accomplished so far is losing a Super Bowl two years ago. That's it, that's their legacy. 

• Upvote 4

54 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I suppose when you sit guys all through preseason and then act like the first month of the regular season doesn't matter it might be hard to instill a sense of urgency. They're playing like they expect to wake up in January to find themselves in the AFCC game again as if by magic.  That's all coaching.

Someone needs to make them understand all they've accomplished so far is losing a Super Bowl two years ago. That's it, that's their legacy. 

Exactly, the Bengals are playing like all they have to do is show up and the other teams are going to just roll over. Burrow needs to get over his ego and sit down until he can actually run and throw like he has been in the past. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

Exactly, the Bengals are playing like all they have to do is show up and the other teams are going to just roll over. Burrow needs to get over his ego and sit down until he can actually run and throw like he has been in the past. 

Of course Burrow is going to want to play so long as he has both legs & you gotta love that in him. It's how he's wired.

It's on the coaches, trainers, docs, and ultimately ownership to take the long view and be the voice of reason.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

Believe it.

dont see helluva lot improvement  thru the season..l

I'll prolly be chastised but I see Pollack

as an underachiever here...bigtime

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

For all the locals who follow the Bearcats, did Zac run the ball when he was there?  All I ever hear about is a how bad the offense was when he was OC, but has he changed at all?

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Spotto said:

For all the locals who follow the Bearcats, did Zac run the ball when he was there?  All I ever hear about is a how bad the offense was when he was OC, but has he changed at all?

Not sure about the number of runs during his tenure but running game is part of the overall offense, and his offenses were downright awful. Absolutely atrocious. 

• Upvote 1