Analysis: Who is to blame for Cincinnati Bengals' 1-3 start?

595d6a85-90cd-487e-95b0-eba8f5cd20f4-Kel Kelsey Conway
Cincinnati Enquirer

NASHVILLE – Just when it felt like the Cincinnati Bengals were getting on the right track after securing their first win of the season on Monday night, they faceplanted in the Music City.

Nothing – even head coach Zac Taylor – admittedly was good enough. The Titans beat the Bengals 27-3 on Sunday and it was the worst loss this team has suffered in the last two years.

The Bengals have a multitude of issues on both sides of the ball right now and there’s no easy fix. Quarterback Joe Burrow is not himself with this calf injury and this offense hasn’t proved it can function at a high level with whatever percentage Burrow is playing at.

On defense, the Bengals can’t stop the run. And that’s a problem in the AFC North when you play teams built on their ability to run the ball.

Right now, there’s no identity to the Bengals on offense or defense. It’s easier to fix problems when you can hang your hat on something you know will work.

That’s what makes this 1-3 start so puzzling. There are not enough things consistently working on offense and a defense that returned all but two starters shouldn’t be having the tackling issues they are.

Taylor and his staff will have their hands full trying to get this team playing better and it needs to happen in a hurry. Or else a Bengals season that started with Super Bowl expectations will quickly find that goal out of reach.

It’s also worth noting the toughest stretch of the Bengals’ schedule is awaiting them. After the bye week, Cincinnati still has to play San Francisco (3-0), Buffalo (3-1) and Baltimore (3-1). All three of those teams are averaging 24 or more points per game.

There’s a lot to unpack specifically from the Week 4 loss in Tennessee so let’s get to it.

The Cincinnati Bengals look lost on offense

An offense that consists of Ja’Marr Chase, Tee Higgins, Tyler Boyd, an upgraded offensive line and Burrow ranks dead last in points per game. Cincinnati is averaging 12.3 points per game through four weeks.

That stat is even perplexing to Burrow. When asked what’s the most surprising part of this start from the Bengals on offense, he didn’t hold back.

The Bengals and quarterback Joe Burrow are averaging only 12.3 points per game over the first four games. “We haven’t got anything going. We have a lot to get fixed,” Burrow said.

“We just haven’t scored any points,” Burrow said. “We haven’t got anything going. We have a lot to get fixed.”

Tennessee scored three touchdowns in one quarter against the Bengals. Cincinnati has three touchdowns on the year.

Burrow’s lingering calf injury has played a significant role in the Bengals’ lack of production on offense, but it shouldn’t be this bad. The real head scratcher coming out of this particular loss is that Tennessee had one of the worst pass defenses (No.30) in the NFL coming into the game and the Bengals scored three points.

The Bengals are built to play with a lead and when they don’t have one, they are limited in what they can do. When a team is down two and three scores early like the Bengals have been, it takes away Cincinnati’s ability to be balanced in the run and pass game.

The Bengals should be able to rely on running back Joe Mixon more but they can’t because they are trailing in too many games. Mixon rushed for 67 yards on only 14 attempts against the Titans.

Offensive coordinator Brian Callahan said as much this week when he said blaming the offensive struggles solely on Burrow’s health is a cop-out.

So much of Cincinnati’s success over the last two years was built on Burrow’s “magic” and without it, the Bengals look lost on offense. Following the loss, Chase said the Bengals are looking for a “spark” on offense. Taylor admitted his quarterback remains limited.

Head coach Zac Taylor admits that Joe Burrow is not completely healthy. “He's playing through it, but there’s still limitations he’s got certainly and that's probably very difficult for him,” Taylor said.

“He's doing everything he can,” Taylor said. “He's playing through it, but there’s still limitations he’s got certainly and that's probably very difficult for him.”

So, the question is, where is the improved offense going to come from if Burrow is limited in what he can do?

Another cause for concern with the Bengals’ current state on offense is that when asked if Burrow believes the offense is close to taking off, he couldn’t say with full confidence it is.

“Depends on the day. Today we weren’t close. We weren’t close to winning the game. We have been in the past. Like I said, we’ve got a lot of work to do."

Not necessarily what you want to hear from your franchise quarterback heading into Week 5 of the NFL season.

‘We have to be better’: Bengals getting exposed in run defense

Cincinnati’s defense got bulldozed by the Titans’ rushing attack on Sunday. The Bengals gave up 173 rushing yards in the 27-3 loss.

Defensive coordinator Lou Anarumo’s group ranks No. 31 in run defense allowing 157 yards per game.

Here’s a look at the game-by-game breakdown of how many rushing yards the Bengals have allowed:Week 1: 206 yards

Week 2: 178 yards

Week 3: 71 yards

Week 4: 173 yards

Yes, the Bengals have faced some of the NFL’s best running backs so far but that shouldn’t excuse this level of performance. The Bengals missed far too many tackles against the Titans.

Titans running back Derrick Henry, here greeting Joe Mixon after the game, helped the Titans rush for 173 yards Sunday. The Bengals rank No. 31 in run defense, allowing 157 yards per game.

"It's just about execution man,” DJ Reader said of the Bengals’ defensive efforts.  “It's going to be easier said than done every time. For guys locked in and guys honed in on what they've got to do executing their job, it's simple. They get paid, too. We're not saying that they're not going to convert third downs. It shouldn't be as lopsided, and we should get off the field more."

Tennessee was 8-of-13 on third downs (61.5 %) and owned the time of possession battle with 34:45 minutes with the ball.

The most telling drive of the game for the Bengals’ defense came in the third quarter when they allowed the Titans a 15-play, 10-minute drive.

Cincinnati’s defense is going to have to keep them in games more so than ever this year with Burrow’s calf limitations. Right now, it’s not up to anyone’s standards.

“We have to be better, no question," defensive lineman Sam Hubbard said. "We’ve faced some good rushing attacks but that’s no excuse.”

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2023/10/01/bengals-record-afc-north-standings-Stealers-ravens-browns-offense-run-defense-struggles/71028253007/

There are certainly a few obvious issues everyone can see.  A very limited Joe Burrow.  A consistently bad offensive line.  Poor game plan, play calling, etc. from Taylor/Callahan.

I think the underlying issue is attitude.  The Bengals bought in to all the hype.  "We're good!"  Do they have fire in the belly like they did?  Doesn't look like it.  Maybe a losing season, which looks very likely, will give it back to them next year.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

There are certainly a few obvious issues everyone can see.  A very limited Joe Burrow.  A consistently bad offensive line.  Poor game plan, play calling, etc. from Taylor/Callahan.

I think the underlying issue is attitude.  The Bengals bought in to all the hype.  "We're good!"  Do they have fire in the belly like they did?  Doesn't look like it.  Maybe a losing season, which looks very likely, will give it back to them next year.

The team seems to perform better as underdogs then as lead dogs

2 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

Something else nobody wants to talk about yet.

We can't stop the run.

2 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

I 100% totally agree with this.  Something I would have never dared say on here.

While I'm out on this limb, I would throw in a degree of immaturity and/or lack of veteran leadership.

The team and coaching staff's youth is a double edged sword.  It's the juice that makes the team run

but it also seems to at least partially fuel lack of concentration and overconfidence.

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

Something else nobody wants to talk about yet.

We can't stop the run.

True, but a lot of those numbers are skewed by the fact that teams have been getting out to a big lead so once they do, they run the ball to run out clock and our defense is so tired they can't defend it. 

3 hours ago, High School Harry said:

I 100% totally agree with this.  Something I would have never dared say on here.

While I'm out on this limb, I would throw in a degree of immaturity and/or lack of veteran leadership.

The team and coaching staff's youth is a double edged sword.  It's the juice that makes the team run

but it also seems to at least partially fuel lack of concentration and overconfidence.

I agree.  Even the veterans like Reader haven't played on winning NFL teams.  How do you handle it?  Not sure they have someone who can share that experience.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

I agree.  Even the veterans like Reader haven't played on winning NFL teams.  How do you handle it?  Not sure they have someone who can share that experience.

3 of the 5 guys on our O-line have superbowl rings.

Start there.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, sois said:

Also possibly Mike Brown, if he is forcing ZT to play Joe, since he paid him all that money. 

Mike Brown isn’t dumb. People like him want and expect a return on investment over the long term.  I would imagine he would advise Joe to get healthy first then play all out vs tempting fate each and every week by sending him out there on a bum calf with an OLine that couldn’t block a college team much less NFL linemen. Cordell Volson is hot fermenting garbage. Karras spent too many days drinking in the offseason and Jonah Williams is, well, Jonah Williams. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Spotto said:

Surely even the Browns and Blackburns know that playing Joe in dead-time is wrong.  

Surely they know that running the ball will stop defences from only stopping a hobbled Joe.

Nah, they're dumb, they kept dalton for a decade.

Also, how do we know the OL sux? They do OK when they run the ball. The pass plays are with a statue Bledsoe style QB. Any OL would struggle blocking for that.

Put in QB 2 for a week and see how it is.

22 minutes ago, sois said:

Put in QB 2 for a week and see how it is.

I agree.

Browning or even McCarron if he has enough of the playbook which, don't forget, has been simplified...

well, if they lose at least Joey Ego won't get dinged up any worse and have two weeks to rest up with the Bye.

Its about the Cincinnati Bengals Football team winning a game, not Joe Burrow playing Brave Little Soldier

like Colonel Joseph Burrow writing home from Shiloh. (good stuff, btw🙂)

Also wonder if there is anything more to this "strained muscle'' stuff then they are letting on.

2 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Ouch! 

How 4 weeks have gone from beatification to et tu Brute’

I think a healthy Joe Burrow is as good or better than any QB in the league.  What we are seeing now is a lot less than that.  Every day Burrow goes out there and sucks is a day he loses credibility with his teammates.  They know.  

Burrow looks great when times are good.  How does he look now?  Arrogant?  Selfish?  Sit down asshole.  You aren’t worth a shit like this.  Get heathy and come back the player you are meant to be.  .  

3 hours ago, IKOTA said:

Mike Brown isn’t dumb. People like him want and expect a return on investment over the long term.  I would imagine he would advise Joe to get healthy first then play all out vs tempting fate each and every week by sending him out there on a bum calf with an OLine that couldn’t block a college team much less NFL linemen. Cordell Volson is hot fermenting garbage. Karras spent too many days drinking in the offseason and Jonah Williams is, well, Jonah Williams. 

Spot on.

Wonder  if BJ Hill was a drinking buddy?

41 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

I think a healthy Joe Burrow is as good or better than any QB in the league.  What we are seeing now is a lot less than that.  Every day Burrow goes out there and sucks is a day he loses credibility with his teammates.  They know.  

Burrow looks great when times are good.  How does he look now?  Arrogant?  Selfish?  Sit down asshole.  You aren’t worth a shit like this.  Get heathy and come back the player you are meant to be.  .  

I don't think there's a switch or button for what you're expecting of him They'd need to chain him to the bench. Call it ego if you want but it's also part of why he is what he is..

monty-python-im-invincible.gif

• Upvote 1

lol

why cant it just ever be the obvious. why is the entire fanbase of 50 year old men always grabbing pitchforks and torches like living tik tok reaction videos.

is it... maybe... MAYBE...

1. The best player on the team is hurt

2. Due to that the offense has had to chance theme and plan every single week.

3. we have, again, faced some super talented front pass rushes to start the season and the two things above made that a bit more impactful.

4. we have several young players and our best corner returning from season ending injury on defense which has led to some clear miscommunications or mistakes.

and with football being a game of consistency and reps on offense which has been impossible to have, and a game on inches as they say, any hiccup in the secondary can and has led to big plays.

thats it. 

there are two teams in the league good enough to go to the superbowl, and we were it one of the last two years.

there are 4 teams good enough to make it to the conference finals, and we have been it 2 of the last 2 years.

but people want to bark about coaches and playcalls. its so fucking lazy and predictable.

people in here bitching about staff members who they dont even know what they do as their job on the team.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Ouch! 

How 4 weeks have gone from beatification to et tu Brute’

****  I like the guy.  A lot.  TBH, he's not even my favorite Bengal player and that is not knocking him.  I like Ja'Marr and Tee better but do think Joe Burrow is the best quarterback in the NFL when healthy.  I also am not one singing that he is overpaid.  But I go to watch the Cincinnati Bengals Football team, not Joe Burrow and some other guys out there. Refing back to my (our) rants about how different the "game day experience is" to the point where it distracts from the game on the field.  Joe Ego in that he should admit that he is injured and maybe someone else would give the team a better chance of winning.  And the guy I consider the best quarterback in the NFL and worth every cent of the contract not go out there and risk further injury.  You darn well know the other team Ds are keying on him and would love to end his and the Cincinnati Bengals season.

8 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

Agree.  It does not mean that I do not like Joe Burrow and think he is the best quarterback in the NFL but that's not the real Joe Burrow we are seeing.

I do not want to see him become the next Greg Cook.

• Upvote 1