Bengals should have never switched from Gold Star to Skyline Chili

4 minutes ago, MOC said:

I might have to drive to CVG just for this!!! They need to test market this in Columbus starting now!!! 

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2023/10/05/skyline-chili-breakfast-new-menu-offers-morning-twist-on-cincy-chili/71077430007/

Wow...not just breakfast...but now we can get Skyline instead of Gold Star at the airport?  Woot woot! 

Very much in the Skyline>Gold Star camp...would tolerate GS at CVG just to get a fix when I was traveling home...but...

Worked at the Eastgate Skyline for 2 1/2 years in HS...we were open until 2am on Fri/Sat and it could get REAL interesting after midnight. 😮 

• Upvote 1

On 10/5/2023 at 10:50 AM, fluhartz said:

I have been down there for probably 150 games and have never had either one..

never eat at the stadium ever, if im in the state for a short time the last thing im eating is the worst possible version of somerthing at the stadium, we just eat before and after.

4 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

I worked at the Kings Island Skyline the first year it opened.  Summer of '85 I believe.  No smell.  Had a close encounter with Boris Becker one of the few times I actually had to work outside.  His gf was quite impressive.

man no smell, what a time to be alive, that place stunk so bad especially behind the scenes. i worked there in 1998-2000 somewhere, did 2 summers.

2 hours ago, MOC said:

I might have to drive to CVG just for this!!! They need to test market this in Columbus starting now!!! 

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2023/10/05/skyline-chili-breakfast-new-menu-offers-morning-twist-on-cincy-chili/71077430007/

oof, dont think i could do anything skyline related in the morning.

2 hours ago, Lawshark13 said:

Wow...not just breakfast...but now we can get Skyline instead of Gold Star at the airport?  Woot woot! 

Very much in the Skyline>Gold Star camp...would tolerate GS at CVG just to get a fix when I was traveling home...but...

Worked at the Eastgate Skyline for 2 1/2 years in HS...we were open until 2am on Fri/Sat and it could get REAL interesting after midnight. 😮 

oh sweet, always hated seeing goldstar as the opption at CVG, tho we usually hit graeters in the delta terminal more than anything.

i ate at that eastegate one after the 2015 playoff loss, drenched and sad. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, MOC said:

See I prefer flying into Dayton, but damn this has me thinking I may have to use CVG next time

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

See I prefer flying into Dayton, but damn this has me thinking I may have to use CVG next time

i am envious, i had Cheddars.

1 hour ago, MOC said:

5 way juicy and a cheese coney everything for me about an hour ago (Rome Hilliard) 🤪

what is "Juicy".

2 hours ago, GoBengals said:

i am envious, i had Cheddars.

what is "Juicy".

Extra wet so you can put oyster crackers on the plate after you've eaten a little bit of the "way" and they soak up the juice 😋

• Upvote 1

On 10/6/2023 at 1:25 PM, GoBengals said:

never eat at the stadium ever, if im in the state for a short time the last thing im eating is the worst possible version of somerthing at the stadium, we just eat before and after.

yep... never really ate at the stadium... maybe some nachos once in a while;.

We always stay at Embassy Suites over in Covington and eat at Beale Street before or after the game... 

• Upvote 1

On 10/6/2023 at 4:42 PM, MOC said:

Extra wet so you can put oyster crackers on the plate after you've eaten a little bit of the "way" and they soak up the juice 😋

ah jesus christ. we are opposites, i drain the swamp liquid onto an extra plate.

12 hours ago, fluhartz said:

yep... never really ate at the stadium... maybe some nachos once in a while;.

We always stay at Embassy Suites over in Covington and eat at Beale Street before or after the game... 

BD(before dalton) i would eat donatos most days, but AD(after datlon) going with my kid its the different plan. stayed in covington a few times, mostly when we had 6am flights, otherwise up in union center where a frischs, UDF, and larosas are within 3 miles. and skyline 500 ft away. Celebritory or consolitory graeters ice cream in the mix whenever possible.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, GoBengals said:

ah jesus christ. we are opposites, i drain the swamp liquid onto an extra plate.

BD(before dalton) i would eat donatos most days, but AD(after datlon) going with my kid its the different plan. stayed in covington a few times, mostly when we had 6am flights, otherwise up in union center where a frischs, UDF, and larosas are within 3 miles. and skyline 500 ft away. Celebritory or consolitory graeters ice cream in the mix whenever possible.

Larosas is good stuff. The wife and kids love Graeter's we have one here in town too. 

1 minute ago, fluhartz said:

Larosas is good stuff. The wife and kids love Graeter's we have one here in town too. 

Graeter's was always a treat when we would go visit my great aunt and uncle. There was one right by their house and my mother was an ice cream junkie. 

• Like 1

Please tell me the canned shit we get here in South Fla with Skyline brand is not the same as you get up there in the restaurants.

The canned version is watered down tomato sauce with minced meat and a cinnamon taste, unimpressive to say the least.

I've used it as sauce on pasta and it was barely passable but on a dog, no bueno.

On 10/6/2023 at 10:25 AM, GoBengals said:

i ate at that eastegate one after the 2015 playoff loss, drenched and sad. 

My guy that sounds like pure misery, that would've put me off a place for life, don't care how good it was. May as well have served me a soup bowl of cigarette butts.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

My guy that sounds like pure misery, that would've put me off a place for life, don't care how good it was. May as well have served me a soup bowl of cigarette butts.

yeah that sucked...

Worst one ever for me was 2005 when Carson got Kimoed

Carson and Henry out off the get go was just the worst... I have had a lot of sad post game meals, but that one was the worst because I think the Bengals were the best team.....

There wasn't enough beer in the world for that day... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jupiter Fan said:

Please tell me the canned shit we get here in South Fla with Skyline brand is not the same as you get up there in the restaurants.

The canned version is watered down tomato sauce with minced meat and a cinnamon taste, unimpressive to say the least.

I've used it as sauce on pasta and it was barely passable but on a dog, no bueno.

You ever taste an original recipe put in cans was that was as tasty  good as originals?

ain't happeninn.

Nasty  preservatives...

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, RayDoggBengal said:

The best LaRosa's is the one at Kings Island, it just hits different.

my god man i have had 1000+ slices of larosas from kings island, from working there it was the only edible food, and i loved it nayway, so i had 2-3 sliced for lunch each day i worked there for 2 years, then add in all the full pies split with friends amung the years and years visiting.. its kinda like the hamd sandwich with potato chips after swimming on vacation, the larosas after water park and rides and being soaked and tired, was top notch for sure. great memory. sitting under the vortex(i think) in the larosas patio... man good times.

4 hours ago, Jupiter Fan said:

so look.... if you go into skyline experiences expecting it to be chili, youre gonna have a bad time. its not, its a spaghetti and hot dog topping that remotely tasted like chili. and the cinnamon taste thing is a big much,  i have never heard anyone who wasnt told or already knew there was a TINY amount of cinnamon in there that they tasted anything remotely resembling cinnamon, same with gold star and "chocolate". its a tiny amount in a mix that has allspice and cloves if i recall. Gold star and skyline sold or sell flavor packets to make your own, only when they hit the market did the "OMG IT HAS CINNAMON/CHOCOLATE in it" come to public knowledge.. and everyones been acting like a dumbass about it since..

its tasty sloppy diner level fast food. thats kind of it... no different than in-n-out fans acting like its god gift to burgers.. just a regional favorite for fast food.

if your in juniper florida, there is a skyline brick and morter in ft lauderdale. i have eaten there, its authentic. 

1 hour ago, claptonrocks said:

You ever taste an original recipe put in cans was that was as tasty  good as originals?

ain't happeninn.

Nasty  preservatives...

this is a great point also. also youre stuck using a differnt cheese, spaghetti, everything... so thats gonna throw it off too..

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I really wish they didn't call this greek goulash concoction using the word "chili".  Its not chili and that just sets the wrong expectation to those not familiar with the product.  People hear the word "chili" and expect some thick, meaty, Texas inspired, heavy entree dish.  It is certainly not.  As Go noted its a local/regional fast food spaghetti & hot dog topping with Greek origins.  The complaints about how thin/watery, having to "cook it down" to make it more appealing, and comparisons to other restaurants chili just makes me shake my head.  The crackers are critical to soak up the juices for an added dimension.  Skyline messed with cracker differences/recipes/vendors several years ago and received so much backlash they had to revert back ("New Coke" anyone?).

There is no doubt that the packaged stuff in the can (or even the frozen variety) isn't as good as sitting in a Skyline restaurant, but it's not entirely different either.  If you don't like the stuff in the can, you're probably not going to like the stuff at the restaurant either...at least initially.  It is definitely an acquired taste...I've known many people who moved into this area who didn't like it initially but over time have grown to crave it...but others never come around to it.  Personal taste and in some cases what you grew up with.  I'm native Cincinnati and I can't imagine a world without Skyline (Gold Star is "okay"...big shout out to Price Hill Chili, Camp Washington Chili, Blue Ash Chili, Empress and some others that have since gone by the wayside), LaRosas, Graeters, Frisch's, etc.

• Like 1

Man, I love the stuff.  I don’t care what others think.  Don’t eat it if you don’t like it.  It’s good to have a regional specialty and different versions to argue over. 

My mother and grandmother made a hybrid version of chili that included a little spaghetti, but not the cinnamon and dark chocolate.  Wish I had that recipe. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 10/10/2023 at 11:12 AM, esjbh2 said:

Yeah, I really wish they didn't call this greek goulash concoction using the word "chili".  Its not chili and that just sets the wrong expectation to those not familiar with the product.  People hear the word "chili" and expect some thick, meaty, Texas inspired, heavy entree dish.  It is certainly not.  As Go noted its a local/regional fast food spaghetti & hot dog topping with Greek origins.  The complaints about how thin/watery, having to "cook it down" to make it more appealing, and comparisons to other restaurants chili just makes me shake my head.  The crackers are critical to soak up the juices for an added dimension.  Skyline messed with cracker differences/recipes/vendors several years ago and received so much backlash they had to revert back ("New Coke" anyone?).

There is no doubt that the packaged stuff in the can (or even the frozen variety) isn't as good as sitting in a Skyline restaurant, but it's not entirely different either.  If you don't like the stuff in the can, you're probably not going to like the stuff at the restaurant either...at least initially.  It is definitely an acquired taste...I've known many people who moved into this area who didn't like it initially but over time have grown to crave it...but others never come around to it.  Personal taste and in some cases what you grew up with.  I'm native Cincinnati and I can't imagine a world without Skyline (Gold Star is "okay"...big shout out to Price Hill Chili, Camp Washington Chili, Blue Ash Chili, Empress and some others that have since gone by the wayside), LaRosas, Graeters, Frisch's, etc.

man yea my uncle was telling me they had some friends from AZ randomly visit ohio, and told them to go to skyline, the friends, thinking CHILI, ordered a bowl of chili....

YIKES

they did not have a pleasant experience. 

how did a waitress not stop them? how do you look at that menu and even find the bowl of chili on it? is it on there? why?

On 10/10/2023 at 12:55 PM, UncleEarl said:

Man, I love the stuff.  I don’t care what others think.  Don’t eat it if you don’t like it.  It’s good to have a regional specialty and different versions to argue over. 

My mother and grandmother made a hybrid version of chili that included a little spaghetti, but not the cinnamon and dark chocolate.  Wish I had that recipe. 

probably not close to the family recipe but there are 20+ cincy chili copy cat and home style recipes online if you search... could be worth a shot.

On 10/9/2023 at 11:54 PM, GoBengals said:

my god man i have had 1000+ slices of larosas from kings island, from working there it was the only edible food, and i loved it nayway, so i had 2-3 sliced for lunch each day i worked there for 2 years, then add in all the full pies split with friends amung the years and years visiting.. its kinda like the hamd sandwich with potato chips after swimming on vacation, the larosas after water park and rides and being soaked and tired, was top notch for sure. great memory. sitting under the vortex(i think) in the larosas patio... man good times.

so look.... if you go into skyline experiences expecting it to be chili, youre gonna have a bad time. its not, its a spaghetti and hot dog topping that remotely tasted like chili. and the cinnamon taste thing is a big much,  i have never heard anyone who wasnt told or already knew there was a TINY amount of cinnamon in there that they tasted anything remotely resembling cinnamon, same with gold star and "chocolate". its a tiny amount in a mix that has allspice and cloves if i recall. Gold star and skyline sold or sell flavor packets to make your own, only when they hit the market did the "OMG IT HAS CINNAMON/CHOCOLATE in it" come to public knowledge.. and everyones been acting like a dumbass about it since..

its tasty sloppy diner level fast food. thats kind of it... no different than in-n-out fans acting like its god gift to burgers.. just a regional favorite for fast food.

if your in juniper florida, there is a skyline brick and morter in ft lauderdale. i have eaten there, its authentic. 

this is a great point also. also youre stuck using a differnt cheese, spaghetti, everything... so thats gonna throw it off too..

So I'm to understand our canned shit down here is worthless...acknowledged. 

Interesting you mention In an Out, the most over rated fast food that isn't even fast.

I have occasion to travel to LA as my Son is there so I&O are very familiar throughout the area

and every one has a fuckin line outside the drive through of at least 1/2 hour.

And every driver has a phone in his face waiting for a mediocre burger that has to be upgraded, LOL.

Not a fan.