WEEK 12: vs SQUEELERS (GameDey thread)

1 minute ago, T-Dub said:

What strides have they made beyond internet branding and landing a generational talent at QB by virtue of going from mostly irrelevant to being completely awful the year before?

What has fundamentally changed here other than Burrow at QB and clever Twitter campaigns?

Brand naming the stadium has allowed them to put aside money for Joe, and it allowed them to drop a big signing bonus for OBJ. 

7 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

OBJ is exactly who we thought he was. Not Trent Williams, but not Jonah Williams either.

Really? I thought we were getting something better than average. I mean I'll take average considering but for all the money and hype involved I expected a bit more.

3 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

IMG_20231127_162001.jpg

Game plans may be designed for Joe Burrow but we all know he

changes plays at the line and improvises.  One of the many things that

makes him the best quarterback in the NFL.

Jake Browning is not capable of that.

I think with McCarrone and his experience and savvy they

could win a game or two yet this season.

I think they could have won with him yesterday but I try to

avoid looking back because with this team/franchise it is borderline suicidal.

But that would mean winning a game or two and me back into the Middle Rounds

of Meh in the draft.  Marvin Lewis Territory.

After all of that, maybe they should have designed a game plan for Jake Browning, not

Joe Burrow.

Pittsburgh was truly woeful yesterday on offense.

Terry BradP'shaw is rolling over in Thursday's turkey gravy

watching him.

However, their game plan was "throw to the tight

end hiding behind the chainsaws".  Works every time

vs the Bengals.

33 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Most other organizations have owners who have other forms of income, the Bengals do not. The team is their source of income, which is why it is referred to as a "mom and pop organization".

That's not to say the can't do more or that they haven't made strides in some areas either.

They also only hire family members for key roles within the organization and the success of the organization is left to someone with little to no experience outside of the Bengals way of doing things, which hasn't worked...just to be clear. 

The top of the Bengals org chart is nothing but Brown family members, not people who have been successful in this industry and earned the job by demonstrating their ability to be successful...like most other multi-billion dollar corps are structured and run. For example, Troy Blackburn is the VP of the Bengals and his main qualification is being Katie's boy toy; Katie and Paul are nepo babies and it's obvious they are in over their heads on many things when it comes to running this franchise in comparison to other owners, which is why the Bengals get treated like the Coco BeWare of the NFL...see the holding call that flagged but picked up for no apparent reason, end result TD for the Stealers...

1 minute ago, PatternMaster said:

They also only hire family members for key roles within the organization and the success of the organization is left to someone with little to no experience outside of the Bengals way of doing things, which hasn't worked...just to be clear. 

The top of the Bengals org chart is nothing but Brown family members, not people who have been successful in this industry and earned the job by demonstrating their ability to be successful...like most other multi-billion dollar corps are structured and run. For example, Troy Blackburn is the VP of the Bengals and his main qualification is being Katie's boy toy; Katie and Paul are nepo babies and it's obvious they are in over their heads on many things when it comes to running this franchise in comparison to other owners, which is why the Bengals get treated like the Coco BeWare of the NFL...see the holding call that flagged but picked up for no apparent reason, end result TD for the Stealers...

Yeah not disagreeing. I wish they would at least consider hiring some outside help for some top positions too.

Also that Coco BeWare reference was quality. :lol:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BlackJesus said:

... I'm thinking Burrow should ask for a coaches salary as well.

His title on the depth chart should be "QB/Offensive Coordinator/Entire Franchise"

Speaking of that...

I'm not sure it was brought up earlier in this thread, but I have to say I was a bit disappointed in Burrow yesterday.  I was under the impression (perhaps wrongly) that JB was going to be much more engaged...expected him to be standing right along side Zach and very, very active especially on offensive downs.  All of the sideline shots of him yesterday he seemed completely out of it...sitting on the bench, sometimes with earpiece but often without it...often with a gazed look in his eyes.  I dunno, I just expected him to be much more "active" and engaged into the game.  He didn't seem to be the one talking to Browning after offensive series either...he seemed to stand and be somewhat distanced.  Did I expect too much???

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

Most other organizations have owners who have other forms of income, the Bengals do not. The team is their source of income, which is why it is referred to as a "mom and pop organization".

That's not to say the can't do more or that they haven't made strides in some areas either.

Green Bay is run like an actual corporation since it is.  I really haven’t had a big problem with the Bengals for awhile as far as ownership.  

Even when Marvin was the coach it was light years better than the Decade of Darkness. (92-02).  Probably could have unloaded Marvin quicker, and Brat. 

Post mortem...

https://www.fox19.com/2023/11/27/live-zac-taylor-meets-with-media/

‘Find a way to get a win’: Zac Taylor talks changing narrative, Burrow injury timeline

CINCINNATI (WXIX) - Bengals head coach Zac Taylor said Monday he will not discuss a timeline for Joe Burrow to get back to throwing until after the star quarterback’s surgery.

Ten days ago on Nov. 17, the Bengals announced Burrow suffered a season-ending wrist injury that would require surgery. The surgery was scheduled to happen on Monday, but Taylor mentioned the operation might be ongoing while he was meeting with the media.

Burrow, according to his head coach, will be in the building later this week to be around his teammates.

In back-to-back weeks, the Bengals playoff hopes took a big hit.

First was the season-ending injury to Joe Burrow and then a third straight loss on Sunday to drop their record to 5-6.

Taylor said he was able to take a step back from the loss, which allowed him to find the positives when watching the film on Monday.

The Bengals head coach said Jake Browning, who made his first career NFL start against the Pittsburgh Stealers, did have some positive moments Sunday.

Marvin Taylor said those things are something they can build on.

He explained the offensive line did a good job in pass protection.:13:

Browning could benefit from the return of wide receiver Tee Higgins.

A hamstring injury sidelined Higgins for a third straight game this week.

Taylor said the playmaker has a chance to play when the Bengals travel to Jacksonville for Monday Night Football.

6 hours ago, T-Dub said:

What strides have they made beyond internet branding and landing a generational talent at QB by virtue of going from mostly irrelevant to being completely awful the year before?

What has fundamentally changed here other than Burrow at QB and clever Twitter campaigns?

If you actually can’t see what has changed….I was one the harshest critics of Mike Brown for the way he operated. It has changed significantly in the past 5 years. 

Our QB gets hurt and we have struggled this year so everyone is running around like headless chickens. 

As Butthead used to say “Settle down Beavis”. 

8 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Why would he say this when everyone has watched Burrow get pummeled almost every game since he got here? Browning was sacked 4 times. FOH with this nonsense.

What the fuck... does he think people aren't watching the games??

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Cat said:

What the fuck... does he think people aren't watching the games??

Yeah I understand coach-speak and don't expect him to throw anyone under the bus, but how about a classic "everyone needs to step it up, starting with me"?

Once again a lack of accountability.