Report: Ja’Marr Chase has AC joint sprain, will have more tests Sunday

Bengals wide receiver Ja’Marr Chase wasn’t around for the end of Saturday’s win over the Vikings and it remains to be seen when he might be able to return to action. 

Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that Chase suffered an AC joint sprain in his shoulder while making a catch during the fourth quarter of the Bengals’ 27-24 overtime win. Chase left for the locker room and then returned to watch the final minutes without a helmet or pads on the sideline.

Rapoport adds that Chase will have further tests on Sunday to determine the severity of the injury. A timeline for his return will come together after getting those results and it’s thought that Chase might not miss any additional time. 

The Bengals lost defensive lineman D.J. Reader for the season when he tore his quad in the win and defensive back DJ Ivey hurt his knee, so there are multiple injury situations for the team to deal with after improving to 8-6 on the season.

nbcsports.com

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Arkansas Bengal said:

Bengals wide receiver Ja’Marr Chase wasn’t around for the end of Saturday’s win over the Vikings and it remains to be seen when he might be able to return to action. 

Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that Chase suffered an AC joint sprain in his shoulder while making a catch during the fourth quarter of the Bengals’ 27-24 overtime win. Chase left for the locker room and then returned to watch the final minutes without a helmet or pads on the sideline.

Rapoport adds that Chase will have further tests on Sunday to determine the severity of the injury. A timeline for his return will come together after getting those results and it’s thought that Chase might not miss any additional time. 

The Bengals lost defensive lineman D.J. Reader for the season when he tore his quad in the win and defensive back DJ Ivey hurt his knee, so there are multiple injury situations for the team to deal with after improving to 8-6 on the season.

nbcsports.com

"Most AC joint injuries will start to improve within a week of the injury, but it can take up to six weeks for a full recovery. After an AC joint surgery, patients may wear a sling for multiple weeks and recovery can take multiple months, sometimes up to six, with a return to activity dependent on the strength of the joint. "

1 minute ago, Jungletiger said:

"Most AC joint injuries will start to improve within a week of the injury, but it can take up to six weeks for a full recovery. After an AC joint surgery, patients may wear a sling for multiple weeks and recovery can take multiple months, sometimes up to six, with a return to activity dependent on the strength of the joint. "

Love to have Chase back but doesn't look good.

Higgins, Boyd and the young ones should step up..

Anxious see see Iso and Hudson 

with more snaps.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Love to have Chase back but doesn't look good.

Higgins, Boyd and the young ones should step up..

Anxious see see Iso and Hudson 

with more snaps.

If there is a silver lining (and I may be reaching here), we get a chance to see what Yoshi and Charlie Jones can do on a more consistent basis.

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, Jungletiger said:

Sounds like Chase's injury is comparatively mild. I had a severe A/C separation back in 1977 which took two pins to put back into place. It's bothered me ever since and I never regained a full range of motion. It did convince me to start playing slide on guitar, though, so that's a plus!

I hope JaMarr recovers well, it would truly suck if such a young talent got limited, a la Greg Cook.

14 hours ago, Shebengal said:

If there is a silver lining (and I may be reaching here), we get a chance to see what Yoshi and Charlie Jones can do on a more consistent basis.

Did we see Chuck Fizzle drop a sure to-the-house opportunity on Sunday? 

(OK..to be fair, he would not have caught it in stride…but it was still catchable)

6 hours ago, Homer_Rice said:

Sounds like Chase's injury is comparatively mild. I had a severe A/C separation back in 1977 which took two pins to put back into place. It's bothered me ever since and I never regained a full range of motion. It did convince me to start playing slide on guitar, though, so that's a plus!

I hope JaMarr recovers well, it would truly suck if such a young talent got limited, a la Greg Cook.

It does have different severities, so it depends on what level it is at.

3 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Did we see Chuck Fizzle drop a sure to-the-house opportunity on Sunday? 

(OK..to be fair, he would not have caught it in stride…but it was still catchable)

It's a question of do you think he was over thrown, or did Chuck pull up too soon.  I can see a case for both arguments.

If he does have an AC Joint sprain, there is no way he plays on Saturday. We can beat the Stealers without him as their offense is struggling and it's unraveling fast in Pittsburgh. The players seem to be quitting on the coaches and legends like Big Ben are calling out the coaching staff in the media. 

It's going to be a tough game because of the familiarity and rivalry but if the Bengals can protect Browning they should get the win. 

26 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

If he does have an AC Joint sprain, there is no way he plays on Saturday. We can beat the Stealers without him as their offense is struggling and it's unraveling fast in Pittsburgh. The players seem to be quitting on the coaches and legends like Big Ben are calling out the coaching staff in the media. 

It's going to be a tough game because of the familiarity and rivalry but if the Bengals can protect Browning they should get the win. 

The struggling Pittsburgh offense racked up over 400 yards against the Bengals just a few weeks ago, Minnesota's struggling offense did the same just this past week. Those games were in Cincinnati and DJ Reader was healthy and able to play in both. If the Bengals lose in Pittsburgh, we can pretty much stop running all of the possible playoff scenarios. Cincinnati would be pretty much finished.

Which is not to say that Chase should play regardless of his severity of his injury. I trust the doctors, the coaches and Chase himself to make that call.

17 minutes ago, dex said:

The struggling Pittsburgh offense racked up over 400 yards against the Bengals just a few weeks ago, Minnesota's struggling offense did the same just this past week. Those games were in Cincinnati and DJ Reader was healthy and able to play in both. If the Bengals lose in Pittsburgh, we can pretty much stop running all of the possible playoff scenarios. Cincinnati would be pretty much finished.

Which is not to say that Chase should play regardless of his severity of his injury. I trust the doctors, the coaches and Chase himself to make that call.

They are definitely going to have to step up on defense, especially run defense. Josh Tupou and Zach Carter are going to have to play lights out...the LBs as well, they struggled getting guys to the ground vs Pissburg. Tribunsky is not very good and he's turnover-prone, make him beat em and I like the Bengals chances. 

21 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

They are definitely going to have to step up on defense, especially run defense. Josh Tupou and Zach Carter are going to have to play lights out...the LBs as well, they struggled getting guys to the ground vs Pissburg. Tribunsky is not very good and he's turnover-prone, make him beat em and I like the Bengals chances. 

Rudolph is the qb

21 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

Today Tomlin named Mason Rudolph as the QB starter for Saturday's game.

42 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

They are going to be starting Rudolph the Red-Nosed QB

By Charean Williams

Published December 18, 2023 10:40 PM

The hits keep coming for the Bengals, who have managed to stay in playoff contention without quarterback Joe Burrow.

Now, they will have to try to do it without star receiver Ja’Marr Chase.

Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that Chase separated his shoulder Saturday, which will keep Chase out for at least Sunday’s game against the Stealers if not longer.

On Sunday, Bengals coach Zac Taylor called Chase day to day.

Chase, though, appears to be week to week.

He played 50 of 70 snaps, leaving after a 24-yard reception with 10:33 left in the game.

Chase has 93 catches for 1,156 yards and seven touchdowns this season.

The Bengals will lean on Tee Higgins and Tyler Boyd as their top options without Chase, with Trenton Irwin, Andrei Iosivas and Charlie Jones also available.

The Bengals have won three in a row with Jake Browning at quarterback after a 16-10 loss to the Stealers with Browning in his first start at quarterback in Week 12.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/cincinnati-bengals