Interesting that DJ has T'Vondre Sweat off of his Top 50 now. Will be interesting to see if/how he performs at the Combine, and how his weight is... if it's available. 

One good looking prospect at DT that is on the list at 45 - Braden Fiske. Fun to watch. He's an athletic guy who plays hard and he shows up quite a bit in FSU games I've seen. 

• Upvote 1

Mims has so much natural talent it really wouldn’t surprise me at all if he ends up being the first OT drafted when it’s all said and done. He’s only played in a handful of games and that scares the shit out of me but his overall talent level is easily tops in this draft, IMO. 

6 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Mims has so much natural talent it really wouldn’t surprise me at all if he ends up being the first OT drafted when it’s all said and done. He’s only played in a handful of games and that scares the shit out of me but his overall talent level is easily tops in this draft, IMO. 

If you told me we got a bridge type RT in FA and took Mimms at 18 so he could ease into the role, I'd be fine with it. But if we are going to draft a RT and need him to start I think the best bet if you want a guy who can pass and run block equally well, is Lathem.

Bowers won't slide that far

and Pittsburgh would trade up for Powers-Johnson

if they think he's going to Jacksonville.  Or... us if Mims goes

higher which he probably will.

So play the game... if Bowers and Mims are gone...

is Powers-Johnson > than the other OTs on the board?

The thought of him being a Squeel really gives me the willies.

Much rather see him here than there.

16 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Sprint to the podium then hope he beats out Volson on the first day of camp? Let him take over at C (or not) when the time comes.

So much this minus beating out Volson without seeing how Volson has improved in the off season.

Volson, Karras, Cappa... can any kick outside and play ORT?

Trade up in Round 2 for the best OT remaining?

Our annual free agent rent-a-tackle?

But, yeah, if Bowers and Mims are gone... this is that guy.

If all three are gone... trade down.

Whatever, I really don't want to see him going to Pittsburgh but I think

a real possibility of them trading up to get him

4 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

If you told me we got a bridge type RT in FA and took Mimms at 18 so he could ease into the role, I'd be fine with it. But if we are going to draft a RT and need him to start I think the best bet if you want a guy who can pass and run block equally well, is Lathem.

It’s definitely Fuaga for me if I can have one of the pure RTs. That said, as much as I hate his lack of starts, I definitely can’t dismiss the kind of overall talent that Mims has in spades. 18 is fine by me. 

• Upvote 2

I'd be fine with Mims at 18 if we have a decent coverage option until he's ready to start. That might be day 1 but might not be until halfway or more through the season. So if we're taking our longterm RT in the draft, we need to sign someone like Eluemonor (who will probaby get a multiyear deal this offseason) or Fant or Fleming (who will probably be on 1 year deals).

We need to find a long term starter in free agency for either NT or RT to free up the draft. Then we could fill the other in round 2 and take a Bowers or JPJ or a WR in round 1. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

I'd be fine with Mims at 18 if we have a decent coverage option until he's ready to start. That might be day 1 but might not be until halfway or more through the season. So if we're taking our longterm RT in the draft, we need to sign someone like Eluemonor (who will probaby get a multiyear deal this offseason) or Fant or Fleming (who will probably be on 1 year deals).

We need to find a long term starter in free agency for either NT or RT to free up the draft. Then we could fill the other in round 2 and take a Bowers or JPJ or a WR in round 1. 

I'm not sure there is a NT in FA that is a long term solution. For RT maybe Onwenu but is he better than any 1st round pick we might get?  

Eluemunor is exactly the kind of bridge player you bring in on the short term until someone like Mims is ready, seeing that Eluemunor is 29 it's not a long term answer. He wants to beat the Chiefs when it matters, which would incentivize him to take a fair deal to play with Joe. It's exactly the kind of thing the Bengals should do. 

• Upvote 1

Eluemunor has played himself into a multi-year deal. He entered the NFL as a guard, then was forced to play tackle after Leatherwood flopped. He's been on some 1 year deals but is now near the top of the tackles available in a league with a shortage. So someone will offer him a deal that pays $10 mil or more for several years. So he won't take bridge-tackle money from us. I'm sure he'd be happy to sign as our multi-year starting RT though.

We'll see who gets tagged but there are several DTs not currently under contract who would be starters for the Bengals. 

2 hours ago, spicoli said:

I've been advocating for Fuaga all along.

He:ll bring a mauling nastiness the Oline lacks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spicoli said:

NFL Mock Draft 2024, post-Combine edition: J.J. McCarthy, Bo Nix, Michael Penix Jr. find new landing spots

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-mock-draft-2024-combine-jj-mcarthy-bo-nix-michael-penix/6a21abd4d53a50ef1861afad

Yes, please... but won't happen.

• Upvote 1

^ Bowers is the player who would make the biggest immediate impact next season. It's scary to think what Burrow could do if he actually had a good TE, since he never has.

Part of me just can't imagine the rest of the league allowing that to happen, as they know the Bengals would then be very hard to stop. If the Bengals want Bowers (as it is rumored they do), they likely need to move up for him. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

^ Bowers is the player who would make the biggest immediate impact next season. It's scary to think what Burrow could do if he actually had a good TE, since he never has.

Part of me just can't imagine the rest of the league allowing that to happen, as they know the Bengals would then be very hard to stop. If the Bengals want Bowers (as it is rumored they do), they likely need to move up for him. 

They won't move up.

If he falls to them so be it.

There's a problem on our lines that has to be addressed whether FA or draft.

Getting an OT in FA would solve a lot 

In the draft.

• Upvote 1

There is a LOT of chatter on sites that Drake Maye is going to free-fall. As in a lot of teams have him as a late 1st or second rounder. The QB intrigue at the top of the draft, including the Fields situation, is very interesting. Glad we have NO PART in it LOL.

On another note, if we had actually fixed our OL in the last 2 years we would be in a great spot to pick up guys who fall becuse of other teams drafting much needed OL. 

• Upvote 1

If I was predicting the Bengals pick right now on March 4, I would guess ... 

1. Brock Bowers

2. Cooper DeJean

3. Byron Murphy 

My gut feeling is they try to get their OL in Rd 2 or trade back up for one (Paul?), as there will be a run on them early. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

If I was predicting the Bengals pick right now on March 4, I would guess ... 

1. Brock Bowers

2. Cooper DeJean

3. Byron Murphy 

My gut feeling is they try to get their OL in Rd 2 or trade back up for one (Paul?), as there will be a run on them early. 

I think that Bowers is gone and that they won't wait to sign a free agent. My guess is they pay Noah Fant. 

On 2/28/2024 at 9:38 AM, spicoli said:

Was watching the NFL channel this morning  (Mar 4) and they said Fuaga made himself a butt-load of money at the combine and could be the first tackle taken. If that's true he won't be there to take. :rant:  Maybe Latham or Guyton? Or a DT? Any trench body is ok with me.

• Upvote 1

Let's say 5 OT go before the Bengals pick (nightmare scenario) ... The issue then might be do you want the 6th best OT or the best TE, best DT, or 2nd best CB? 

Traditional thinking is that a run on a position means you need to get yours then, but not if you're at the end of the run (which the Bengals might be). 

• Upvote 1