Random 2024 Bengals related stuff

27 minutes ago, Griever said:

I can see the AFC North drawing interest...

I would not be surprised if they do, it's the toughest division in the league, makes for the most drama.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, sparky151 said:

He didn't make the probowl because he wasn't blocking for Kermit. But he was still better than Jonah from the prior year. 

It would be hard to top Jonah's 12 sacks allowed from 2022, but he did give up 7 last year. 

5 hours ago, texbengal said:

He was OK... not great. I actually thought Volson, after a bad start, picked up his game considerably in the latter half. Both guys need to play better, but yeah, Brown wasn't any great shakes. Certainly not to the level where he was hyped to be.

He was about average. Not a liability, but not an elite player, either. At his best, I think he's very solid/above average... maybe top 12-15-ish in the league at LT. 

I doubt 7 sacks is average but yes, more to the point, why are they still trying to blow smoke up everyone's ass after that performance? 

I guess the "gas up underperforming player" part of the Bengals offseason arrives a little early this year 

The new kickoff rule only allows onside kicks in the 4th quarter, so the surprise onside kick earlier in the game or even later is now eliminated. Because even in the 4th you have to state you're doing the onside and line up for one. NFL is going to slowly ruin itself with all these rule changes. 

7 hours ago, Griever said:

5 hours ago, Shebengal said:

UGH! That is just ridiculous. 

4 hours ago, Griever said:

OK... back to this topic of games on Christmas Wednesday...

If the Bengals played at home would you go?

If the Bengals play away would you watch?

Put me down for "yes" on both counts but my situation is a lot easier than most people.

Still seems like it would whizz off a lot of people no matter what they chose.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Im sure they will use the clock review consistently and not as another means to hand teams do-overs when they don't like the outcome of a play.

:grin-min:

The rule change only allows review of the game clock, not the play clock. So it can check whether a snap occurred before a quarter ended or not. But not whether a delay of game penalty should have been called or not. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

The new kickoff rule only allows onside kicks in the 4th quarter, so the surprise onside kick earlier in the game or even later is now eliminated. Because even in the 4th you have to state you're doing the onside and line up for one. NFL is going to slowly ruin itself with all these rule changes. 

I haven't checked it in detail but isn't it still a free kick with a live ball that can be recovered by the kicking team? If the kicker puts the kickoff short of the goal line, once the ball hits the ground, it belongs to whoever can get to it, right? 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

The rule change only allows review of the game clock, not the play clock. So it can check whether a snap occurred before a quarter ended or not. But not whether a delay of game penalty should have been called or not. 

Ah, so they can still let them run plays after the clock expires.

49 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

32 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Ah, so they can still let them run plays after the clock expires.

Thanks for the clarification, I clearly misunderstood and assumed play clock.  It frustrated me to no end how guys like Brady seemed to always get "the benefit of doubt" (i.e. a couple extra seconds) during critical parts of the game...guess nothing has changed for the NFL chosen few in that regard.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

OK... back to this topic of games on Christmas Wednesday...

If the Bengals played at home would you go?

If the Bengals play away would you watch?

Put me down for "yes" on both counts but my situation is a lot easier than most people.

Still seems like it would whizz off a lot of people no matter what they chose.

I think a home game would entice fans to come out

Road..not so much..

I feel like"Capt Obvious" now..😎

Sad. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, esjbh2 said:

Thanks for the clarification, I clearly misunderstood and assumed play clock.  It frustrated me to no end how guys like Brady seemed to always get "the benefit of doubt" (i.e. a couple extra seconds) during critical parts of the game...guess nothing has changed for the NFL chosen few in that regard.

Right, if it's a TD they'll call it an honest mistake but if Kermit throws an INT they can whistle the play dead.  No change there.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, sparky151 said:

I haven't checked it in detail but isn't it still a free kick with a live ball that can be recovered by the kicking team? If the kicker puts the kickoff short of the goal line, once the ball hits the ground, it belongs to whoever can get to it, right? 

It appears silent as to onside kicks. However, in reference to ANY kickoffs: 

• Any kick that hits short of the landing zone – treated like kickoff out of bounds and ball spotted at B40 yard line; play would be blown dead as soon as kick lands short of the landing zone
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

It appears silent as to onside kicks. However, in reference to ANY kickoffs: 

• Any kick that hits short of the landing zone – treated like kickoff out of bounds and ball spotted at B40 yard line; play would be blown dead as soon as kick lands short of the landing zone

Why even run the play? Spot the ball at the 30 and be done with it.  At this point it's only an excuse to air 2-3 extra ad breaks while they sort out their latest goof shit.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Why even run the play? Spot the ball at the 30 and be done with it.  At this point it's only an excuse to air 2-3 extra ad breaks while they sort out their latest goof shit.

They keep saying they “want more runbacks”, but with “less player injury”. 

5 will get you 10 that, if teams have reliable distance kickers, they still bury the ball in the back of the endzone. 

That is, unless New York creates a last minute rule against it. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

I think a home game would entice fans to come out

Road..not so much..

I feel like"Capt Obvious" now..😎

Sad. 

Not at all.

I just wanted to see what other people thought.

If the games don't involve the Bengals I have zero interest and all a moot point.

But thanks for the thought and input.

• Upvote 1