Random 2024 Bengals related stuff

12 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

It appears silent as to onside kicks. However, in reference to ANY kickoffs: 

• Any kick that hits short of the landing zone – treated like kickoff out of bounds and ball spotted at B40 yard line; play would be blown dead as soon as kick lands short of the landing zone

Onside kick attempts have to be announced in advance and are only allowed in the 4th quarter. Max of 2 per team per game.

The landing zone is from the goal line to the 20. So that's a pretty big target for kickers to aim toward.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, High School Harry said:

OK... back to this topic of games on Christmas Wednesday...

If the Bengals played at home would you go?   No

If the Bengals play away would you watch? Probably

Put me down for "yes" on both counts but my situation is a lot easier than most people.

Still seems like it would whizz off a lot of people no matter what they chose.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

Onside kick attempts have to be announced in advance and are only allowed in the 4th quarter. Max of 2 per team per game.

The landing zone is from the goal line to the 20. So that's a pretty big target for kickers to aim toward.

It is. But in the context of onside kick--and the kick team has to wait on their designated yard line until the ball is kicked--it renders the chances of a successful onside basically nil. And, if the kick doesn't make it to the 20, it's an auto placement on the 40 for the receiving team. 

I have been trying to get my head around just what the options are going to be for the kicking team--on any kicks. I suppose that one (besides booming it out of the back of the endzone) is to squib it just far enough to get past the 20--forcing a return. Maybe there is a metric for how many times returners might bobble a squib...dunno. This will be a challenge for someone like McPherson, who may or may not have accuracy skills to place things that exactly. Frankly, not certain who does. 

On to putt putt!

Thirteen Questions About Steph Curry's 'Holey Moley,' Answered - The Ringer

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Griever said:

20240327_115326.jpg

... From this it looks like the Bengals do not value interior OL or DL, or even OT to the degree that the rest of the NFL does. And they prefer WRs, DEs, LBs, and CBs in early picks. 

All of that checks out

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, BlackJesus said:

... From this it looks like the Bengals do not value interior OL or DL to the degree that the rest of the NFL does. And they prefer WRs, DEs, LBs, and CBs in early picks. 

All of that checks out

Yep...

5 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

It is. But in the context of onside kick--and the kick team has to wait on their designated yard line until the ball is kicked--it renders the chances of a successful onside basically nil. And, if the kick doesn't make it to the 20, it's an auto placement on the 40 for the receiving team. 

I have been trying to get my head around just what the options are going to be for the kicking team--on any kicks. I suppose that one (besides booming it out of the back of the endzone) is to squib it just far enough to get past the 20--forcing a return. Maybe there is a metric for how many times returners might bobble a squib...dunno. This will be a challenge for someone like McPherson, who may or may not have accuracy skills to place things that exactly. Frankly, not certain who does. 

No more squib kicks either. If the ball hits the ground short of the opposing 20, receiving team takes possession in an advantageous position. 

Some teams will just blast it through the endzone and avoid returns, conceding better field position than currently. For kicking teams who want to put the ball into play, I'd guess they will look for low, spinning kicks that stay inbounds and avoid the returner. If it takes him a second to secure the ball after it hits the ground, that should be good for the coverage team. The receiving team can use up to 2 returners behind their blockers so if a kicking team proves it can pull off low, spinning kicks, the counter might be to put an extra returner on the field and fair catch as much as possible. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

... From this it looks like the Bengals do not value interior OL or DL, or even OT to the degree that the rest of the NFL does. And they prefer WRs, DEs, LBs, and CBs in early picks. 

All of that checks out

"How to have the worst OL in the league consistently"

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

No more squib kicks either. If the ball hits the ground short of the opposing 20, receiving team takes possession in an advantageous position. 

Some teams will just blast it through the endzone and avoid returns, conceding better field position than currently. For kicking teams who want to put the ball into play, I'd guess they will look for low, spinning kicks that stay inbounds and avoid the returner. If it takes him a second to secure the ball after it hits the ground, that should be good for the coverage team. The receiving team can use up to 2 returners behind their blockers so if a kicking team proves it can pull off low, spinning kicks, the counter might be to put an extra returner on the field and fair catch as much as possible. 

Very good point, hadn't even thought of that

1 hour ago, spicoli said:

Honestly they’re all bad these days 

They arent all giving up the most sacks allowed. That's objectively the worst. Every other team is blocking better than the Bengals. 

I know the running excuse is "everyone has trouble finding OL" but the Bengals are still the worst at it. It doesn't mean it's easy, it means that literally every other team in the NFL is better at it 

I have to think that leaves some room for improvement, right?

• Upvote 2

Joe needs to chill and rest . Just take it easy, so he is healthy no calf strains or aggregate the healing process. I hope he isn’t like cam newton or Pennington both shoulder issues. Different injuries  but they lost a lot due to injuries. Crossing fingers…..