Pick 18, what should Bengals do?

Pick 18   

31 members have voted

1. 1. Which position is the biggest need at 18?

• OT
    • DT
    • Other
  2. 2. Of these OT at 18, which would rather have?

• Amarius Mims
    • JC Latham
    • Olu Fashanu
    • Troy Fatanu
    • Taluese Fuaga
    • Tyler Guyton
  3. 3. Of these DT at 18 which would you rather have?

• Byron Murphy
    • Johnny Newton
  4. 4. Do you want Brock Bowers if he's there?

• Hell yes
    • No, pass for other needs
  5. 5. Are you ok with taking CB Cooper Dejean?

• Yes, White Lightning baby!
    • I guess, but prefer trenches
    • No, don't need a DB early
  6. 6. Of these 4 guys most likely to be taken, who do you want?

• Amarius Mims
    • Byron Murphy
    • JC Latham
    • Johnny Newton
  7. 7. Should the Bengals trade up?

• Yes, quality over quantity
    • No, save the picks
  8. 8. Should the Bengals trade back?

• Possibly, if the main guys are gone
    • No, just take the best guy at 18
  9. 9. Would you be ok with taking a WR at 18?

• Yes, need Tee's replacement
    • No, focus on the trenches
  10. 10. Would you be ok with taking WR Brian Thomas?

• Yes, LSU Tee Clone
    • No, focus on the lines
  11. 11. Should the Bengals consider packaging pick 18 and Tee to go into top 10 for Alt or Nabers?

• Yes, be aggressive
    • No, we need Tee for New Orleans SB run

24 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Agree. I know that Mims is the “intriguing” prospect…but I’m not feeling it for some reason. 

For some reason Mims reminds me of Cedric Ogbuehi and I have no idea why. Give me Fuaga (probably not happening) or Latham. I double dip in the 3rd also with  an interior lineman

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

The Bengals better draft an OT in the first round or miss out one

My second favorite OT in the draft is actually Patrick Paul, who may be available at 49. If the Bengals go DT in Rd 1, he becomes the praying target for Rd 2. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, gupps said:

For some reason Mims reminds me of Cedric Ogbuehi and I have no idea why. Give me Fuaga (probably not happening) or Latham. I double dip in the 3rd also with  an interior lineman

Latham not testing pushed him down below Mims for me, otherwise I'm with you give me Fuga and the top center/guard in round 3.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, gupps said:

For some reason Mims reminds me of Cedric Ogbuehi and I have no idea why.

Cedric's selling point coming out was his arm length (which was 34"). Which is larger than average yes, but seems small compared to Mims' and Paul's other worldly 36". 

Cedric was also injured the year prior as Mims was. But really to me they are totally different players. Mim's looks like he was carved on Mount Olympus, while Cedric looked like a schlub. Mim's also has very light feet like a ballerina, Cedric did not. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, gupps said:

Mims is not like Ogbeuhi...he comes from a much better program where he practiced against and with future and current NFL players every day and is a physical freak of nature. Drafting him in the first round and allowing him to sit behind Trent Brown would be an ideal situation.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

Cedric's selling point coming out was his arm length (which was 34"). Which is larger than average yes, but seems small compared to Mims' and Paul's other worldly 36". 

Cedric was also injured the year prior as Mims was. But really to me they are totally different players. Mim's looks like he was carved on Mount Olympus, while Cedric looked like a schlub. Mim's also has very light feet like a ballerina, Cedric did not. 

Mims is a powerful player, whereas Cedric was not. I remember watching training camp downtown in 2014 and saw Dunlap pick up Cedric off the ground and plant him in the dirt with a simple one-handed power move, it was embarrassing...Cedric's shoulders were the first thing to hit the ground, at that moment I realized he was in over his head and would struggle to play OT in the NFL. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

Mims is a powerful player, whereas Cedric was not.

While I have no doubt Mims is powerful at 340 lbs, on tape I actually see more finesse than raw strength.

Mim's wins with angles and 'danceability'. You can tell he's an athlete and lean with almost no body fat. He even has runner calves and ankles. 

If you want raw power then Latham is your guy. He's got the bubble butt and wide anchor. But to me he's more of a RG and lacks the light feet of Mims. 

• Upvote 1

The experience factor is the main thing. If he is all that and a bag of chips, one would think he would have been starting sooner. If that were solely due to injuries, then that is another area to ponder 

He is certainly a physically gifted player, and at 18, not that much of a reach (if that is even applicable). If he is going to develop, that would be evident in the first season. 

Not that huge of a risk. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, sparky151 said:

For what it's worth (not much) PFF's latest mock has 6 QBs going in the top 13. It has Bengals taking Wiggins in round 1 and McConkey in round 2. 

I wouldn't be thrilled with that

Linemen are a Need...

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

Mims is not like Ogbeuhi...he comes from a much better program where he practiced against and with future and current NFL players every day and is a physical freak of nature. Drafting him in the first round and allowing him to sit behind Trent Brown would be an ideal situation.

This.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

The experience factor is the main thing. If he is all that and a bag of chips, one would think he would have been starting sooner. If that were solely due to injuries, then that is another area to ponder 

He is certainly a physically gifted player, and at 18, not that much of a reach (if that is even applicable). If he is going to develop, that would be evident in the first season. 

Not that huge of a risk. 

Keep in mind he was playing behind future NFL players, so that's why he was sitting. The starting LT and RT were both drafted in the 2023 draft with Jones going in the first round and McClendon going in the 5th round, but he was still getting playing time early in the games. It's very rare that one team has two OT's drafted so that does explain why Mims didnt' start as much as some of the other top prospects in this draft.

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/nfl-dawgs/amarius-mims-kirby-smart-georgia-football-pro-day/WUZXHUHGONDYLPJFGM63FSMUYM/

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Agree. I know that Mims is the “intriguing” prospect…but I’m not feeling it for some reason. 

Then again, it’s not my choice. They will get one heckuva prospect/good football player at 18 regardless of who he is. So will everyone else. That is why my standard expression is “Everyone wins on Draft Day”

maybe dumb thinking on my part, but they were also damned lucky last year with health on the OL. Given especially the fact that Trent Brown has had injury issues, it’s certainly not a given that he’ll make it through the season healthy. If that happens, I know Ford was re-signed, but I see him as more of an inside guy, and a stop gap. Which is more than I could say for Carman or Smith, other Ts on the roster.

So I’d feel better about a rookie with some seasoning to get start(s) than I would a guy with maybe more potential who isn’t ready. And both of those guys could play inside if needed. Really like Latham… he looked fat last year but reportedly he’s lost 20 pounds training leading up to the draft. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, texbengal said:

So I’d feel better about a rookie with some seasoning to get start(s) than I would a guy with maybe more potential who isn’t ready. And both of those guys could play inside if needed. Really like Latham… he looked fat last year but reportedly he’s lost 20 pounds training leading up to the draft. 

Wonder why Latham declines to do athletic testing?

For what it's worth, Latham did not perform any athleticism testing during Wednesday's pro day. This is notable after he passed on the drills at the NFL Scouting Combine a few weeks back. That said, Latham still put on a workout for attending coaches and executives, and the Bengals seemed more interested in the other side of the ball.

• Upvote 1

Here's Dehner's big board for round 1. His top 15 assuming 3 or more QBs are taking before we pick.

https://theathletic.com/5399556/2024/04/09/bengals-big-board-2024-nfl-draft/

I only rank them 1-15 since the lack of quarterbacks on their board ensures one of these 15 players will be available when they go on the clock.

1. Malik Nabers, WR, LSU

You know who would be the perfect complement to Ja’Marr Chase? Another Ja’Marr Chase. If playing the comp game with Nabers, it’s hard not to see the former No. 1 at LSU.

2. Marvin Harrison Jr., WR, Ohio State

It’s kind of funny the comparisons at the top of the draft involve two of the best Bengals receivers of all time. There’s a whole lot of A.J. Green in Harrison’s game.

3. Rome Odunze, WR, Washington

The inside-outside versatility and pure polish would be a dream complement for the next five years alongside Chase. Sadly, that’s just what these top three receivers are for the Bengals: a dream.

4. Taliese Fuaga, OT, Oregon State

It’s not just that the 6-foot-6, 324-pound powerful right tackle excels in pass protection or brings an elite athletic profile. He also plays with the finish and nastiness that offensive line coach Frank Pollack has prioritized with so many free agents and draft picks selected in recent years. His size offers positional flexibility, where he could easily kick inside to guard if needed. It might even end up being his best position. That said, he would slot as a powerful pass-protecting right tackle of the future (and maybe the present). For the Bengals, specifically, he could easily be classified as the best of the bunch.

ADVERTISEMENT

5. Troy Fautanu, OT, Washington

There’s a thought Fautanu could play any of the five positions up front. He held down left tackle for Washington on its run to the national championship game and looked every bit the real deal along the way. His elite NFL Scouting Combine performance verified what his tape shows. He’s not as big as the prototypical Bengals size, but he still has a 34 1/2-inch arm with top-tier production and athleticism. He would be a major value add with his versatility, but he’s more than capable of winning the right tackle job against Trent Brown in camp. He’s a Bengals personality fit as a captain loved by the Washington staff — stuff the Bengals will prioritize. Another ideal scenario if he slides down the board.

6. Byron Murphy, DT, Texas

The most difficult part of this exercise is determining where to slip Murphy in among the offensive linemen. Murphy has the potential to be a true game-wrecking three-technique. It’s almost impossible to find those guys anywhere other than the first round of the draft. His pass-rush win rates were among the best in college football in the last 10 years, according to PFF, a stat with a direct correlation to success in the NFL. Those who’ve led the Power Five conferences in that stat have gone on to become the highest-paid defensive linemen in the NFL. The Bengals have B.J. Hill entering the last year of his contract and Sheldon Rankins inked for two years, but this position has become one of the most valuable on the field. It’s hard to imagine passing on Murphy, assuming the Bengals were on board with his personality fit.

7. Joe Alt, OT, Notre Dame

A weird prospect to slot on the Bengals’ board. Most view him as the best tackle in the draft. He’s excelled as a technician at left tackle for the Irish. It’s hard to argue with his tape. The only issue with the Bengals-specific board is how much playing left tackle means to Orlando Brown Jr. Could Alt flip to right? Could Brown? Sure. But there’s stuff to work through that pushes him a few spots down the board. It’s doubtful the Bengals will have to worry about that decision because Alt’s unlikely to make it out of the top 10.

8. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia

The fit is comical. How many 6-8, 340-plus mammoth offensive tackles can one team employ? Well, the answer could be three because Mims would blend in perfectly with Trent and Orlando Brown. Despite the team’s obvious lean toward his size, Mims might have the highest ceiling of the entire tackle group. The lack of experience is the only concern. Will only having eight starts scare the Bengals away? Director of player personnel Duke Tobin didn’t sound like it while discussing inexperience at the combine. There are mitigating circumstances. But when Mims did play, his tape was more than solid. The possibilities are endless. Plus, Trent Brown’s presence would give time for Mims to learn the pro game in the background, not having to start immediately. He makes sense in Cincinnati more than almost any other spot in the league.

USATSI_19779911-scaled-e1704075906929.jp

Georgia’s Amarius Mims fits the profile of the type of offensive tackles the Bengals look for. (Mark J. Rebilas / USA Today)

9. JC Latham, OT, Alabama

At 6-6, 342 pounds and arguably the most powerful player in the entire draft, he fits exactly what the Bengals seek. He’s got the experience starting at right tackle and playing well for the Crimson Tide. He’s got issues to work through with awareness and lateral quickness, but his power and mass are tantalizing. The Bengals value a powerful anchor in pass protection capable of holding a firm pocket, and that’s his greatest strength. He also could kick in to guard, but his impact would be a bulldozing right tackle if the Bengals went for him.

ADVERTISEMENT

10. Olu Fashanu, OT, Penn State

Same conversation as Alt. A fantastic prospect, unlikely to make it down the board to the Bengals at 18. The fit issue would be about Fashanu moving out of the left tackle spot where he spent his time with the Nittany Lions. He’s got issues to work through, many of which were exposed in a game against Ohio State in which he endured rough moments. First-round talent, but not the best Bengals fit of the group.

11. Brock Bowers, TE, Georgia

There’s so much to like about Bowers, who would bring so many explosive options to enhance the Bengals’ scheme. His run after catch, production in the slot and hands would be a fun fit with Burrow. I just don’t see the Bengals valuing a tight end over any of the top tackle prospects or Murphy. They’ve had success finding production with bargain free agents and just signed Mike Gesicki, Drew Sample and Tanner Hudson. The history of top tight ends doesn’t help matters. It’s not that Bowers won’t be on the board, I just don’t see them prioritizing the position to the point he ends up the pick.

12. Quinyon Mitchell, CB, Toledo

Never rule out corner. And definitely don’t rule it out if the top corner in this draft is available at 18. Mitchell would arrive and enter a competition with DJ Turner, instantly beefing up the Bengals’ depth at a premium position while providing insurance in case Turner doesn’t develop at the level the Bengals expect.

13. Johnny Newton, DT, Illinois

Newton brings many of the same attributes and potential as Murphy, slots more directly as a pure pass-rushing three-technique and doesn’t possess quite as much power and effectiveness against the run. That’s no knock on Newton’s game, though, he can bring it as a pass rusher, he just doesn’t live on the same level as Murphy for what the Bengals need.

Play: Video

14. Terrion Arnold, CB, Alabama

Another sneaky pick lurking in the distance. Not likely, but collecting top corners in the first round is a winning strategy, and Arnold would be considered exactly that.

15. Ladd McConkey, WR, Georgia

Dropping this name at the end of this list merely for emphasis. McConkey would be the clear WR4 from a Bengals perspective. His route running, suddenness in creating separation, reliability and speed make it easy to project chemistry with Burrow. Plus, he’s an ideal inside-outside option to place between Chase and Tee Higgins this year and possibly beyond. His versatility to be far more than just a slot receiver would allow coach Zac Taylor and offensive coordinator Dan Pitcher to move Chase around more often and keep the defense guessing.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

This is how I have this going...... I think it comes down to do they like Mimms or Murphy more

image.pngimage.pngimage.png

That's a good draft. 

I understand the logics between Mims and Lathem.

I'd be more than satisfied with either.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dex said:

Wonder why Latham declines to do athletic testing?

For what it's worth, Latham did not perform any athleticism testing during Wednesday's pro day. This is notable after he passed on the drills at the NFL Scouting Combine a few weeks back. That said, Latham still put on a workout for attending coaches and executives, and the Bengals seemed more interested in the other side of the ball.

No clue. He’s not injured, reportedly. Agent advice?

Bottom line, would have been nice, but ultimately I still don’t think that’ll hurt him. Saw him interviewed at the zero Day. He’s huge but looked to be in decent shape… weight loss was noticeable. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

5 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

Y'all are both probably right, just for some reason he reminds me of him.Maybe need to drink more.  :drinks:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, texbengal said:

No clue. He’s not injured, reportedly. Agent advice?

Bottom line, would have been nice, but ultimately I still don’t think that’ll hurt him. Saw him interviewed at the zero Day. He’s huge but looked to be in decent shape… weight loss was noticeable. 

It's pretty obvious why Latham didn't perform the usual athletics tests at the combine or his pro day. He's not athletic at all and thinks it's better to be suspected than proven to be slow. It would be a huge mistake for the Bengals to take Latham. He might work for a team like the Chargers who want to establish a running game but he's not a good pass blocker and would endanger Burrow's life and health. Hard pass.