Rey or Rey?

After the bye, who do you go with? It would be hard for me as a coach to pull Vincent out of there but then what does that do for Rey M's psyche? He seems like someone you have to watch so he doesn't shut down, in my opinion.

I can't even decide. Gonna be a tough decision for Zim and Co

I expect VRey to take over the Mays/Lamur role.  

Maualuga and Harrison on first and 2nd down base formation.

Maualuga as first and 2nd down nickel backer.  

VRey as 3rd down nickel backer.  It was Mays that would come in on 3rd downs for Maualuga.  They are almost always in the nickel on 3rd down unless its 3rd and very short. 

Crocker/Kirkpatrick in for Harrison on all nickel packages.  

The defense just seems nastier with Vinney in there. He and Burfect light bitches up.

I think that's slightly a mirage of the Atkins injury.  

Ever since Geno got hurt, Zimmer has gotten a lot more creative with his calls rather than playing teams straight up.  That has freed Vinny and others up to make plays as the defense, even without Geno, is now a lot less predictable and teams are having trouble figuring out who's rushing, and who's dropping.

They've also faced the 21st, and 26th ranked offenses in points per game.

After the way Vinny Rey has played, I can't see Zimmer not figuring a way to get him onto the field even when Maualuga comes back. 

And to be honest, we look faster and more aggressive out there with Vinny and Burfict than we ever did with Maualuga. 

I think that's slightly a mirage of the Atkins injury.  

Ever since Geno got hurt, Zimmer has gotten a lot more creative with his calls rather than playing teams straight up.  That has freed Vinny and others up to make plays as the defense, even without Geno, is now a lot less predictable and teams are having trouble figuring out who's rushing, and who's dropping.

They've also faced the 21st, and 26th ranked offenses in points per game.

Good points. As long as Ray M. is healthy, it should be fine.

I read somewhere that Harrison asked Zim to let him play DT in Genos spot. I think he could handle it honestly. Harrison is very football smart.

Unless I'm mistaken, Harrison did get some snaps at DT in passing situations.

OT: Anybody that thinks Richie Incognito is a "bully" would shit their pants if James Harrison came within ten feet of them. That's one mean, nasty motherfucker.

Unless I'm mistaken, Harrison did get some snaps at DT in passing situations.

OT: Anybody that thinks Richie Incognito is a "bully" would shit their pants if James Harrison came within ten feet of them. That's one mean, nasty motherfucker.

Not to his teammates.

A little of both. Rey M on running plays, V Rey on passing downs?

This is what I am thinking. Good problem to have.

Rey M. is underrated against the run. He gets up in there and really clogs the gaps. You sometimes see him meet the pulling guard in the hole and knock the OG backwards. There are plays like that where he doesn't get the tackle, but deserves credit for there being no running lane.

V. Rey seems to have a much better feel for dropping in coverage, recognizing screens getting setup, etc.

Instead of Rey M. playing 98% of the snaps or whatever the number was, I think you swap him out on passing downs, 2 minute drill, etc.

This is what I am thinking. Good problem to have.

Rey M. is underrated against the run. He gets up in there and really clogs the gaps. You sometimes see him meet the pulling guard in the hole and knock the OG backwards. There are plays like that where he doesn't get the tackle, but deserves credit for there being no running lane.

V. Rey seems to have a much better feel for dropping in coverage, recognizing screens getting setup, etc.

Instead of Rey M. playing 98% of the snaps or whatever the number was, I think you swap him out on passing downs, 2 minute drill, etc.

Agreed.  Vincent has definitely showed he deserves some snaps on D.

Doesn't sound like Maualuga is going to be completely healthy the rest of the season.  Mix in Maualuga to see what he can give you, but Vinnie gets the start.  

Has there been something reported that I missed? All Ive seen is Maualuga should be full tilt after the bye.

I think Rey will get his job back and Ray will be the nickle LB.

I agree that both should get snaps. I thought V Rey was more of a run defender, but he's surprised me with his coverage, and with his well-timed blitzes. I'm sure Zim's scheming helps, but Vinny closes fast, and I don't see him getting caught out of position much, if at all. 

That said, I do like what Rey M brings as far as going downhill and smacking people, and his pass coverage has improved, too. 

It's encouraging to know that with Taze, the Reys, plus Lamur and Porter coming back, and maybe Dimanche (beyond being a ST'er), they have a nice, young LB crew. And hats off to Paul Guenther - he's done a really nice job with the LBs, especially given some of the injury challenges they've had in his 2 year tenure.

Oh and kuddos to Ray M, he has really been playing SO much better this year than the past few. Comeback player of the year for this team. Glad to have been wrong about him.

I think most of it has to do with them giving the headset to Taz and just letting Ray play.

Has there been something reported that I missed? All Ive seen is Maualuga should be full tilt after the bye.

I think Rey will get his job back and Ray will be the nickle LB.

My bad I should have clarified.  It was an assumption on my part.... nothing I've heard.  Should have said see how Maualuga responds coming off injury before starting him.    

So, what is it?

Diamonds in the rough?

Bringing in guys who fit the system perfectly?

Or is Zimmer just a bad ass and can work with whatever he's given?

Combination of things… Zim has a history of making chicken salad out of chicken shit, but I think they've picked up/taken chances on some guys that have athleticism plus *something* special about them, and they've worked out. Taze has great instincts; Lamur is a former S who has excellent coverage skills; V Rey is really smart and consistent. Being a technique hound has really resurrected some guys' careers, too. Look at Newman and Jones, for example. 

Luck has played a part, too. What's cool about Zimmer is that it seems like guys see that he puts you in a position to succeed, and they feed off of that. There are several examples beyond LB - Dingleberry, Crocker, etc. Guys that nobody wanted. 

It seems to me that people had overlooked just how athletic Vinny Rey was.  I was so excited about him as a UDFA out of Duke for no other reason than his numbers, which made him by far the most athletic LB on our team at the time (DiManche may have him beat now).  I'm not at all surprised by his pass coverage abilities.  The guy had great speed (4.5s) and agility numbers.  What I'm so happy to see is how well he's been playing in space, which is the one weakness that Ray M has (and which happens to be a particular strength of Burficts: you aren't going to shake that guy in space).

Archived