Cheerleader files lawsuit against the Bengals

Meet Alexa Brenneman. Alexa is a cheerleader for the Cincinnati Bengals and, according to a complaint that was filed earlier this week, she only receives $90 per home game -- which appears to be the standard rate for most of the team's cheerleaders. If she combined all of the work she puts into the games and practices (they practice 6-8 hours per week), she translates her pay rate to "less than $2.85 an hour", roughly five dollars less than the state minimum hourly wage.

Brenneman filed a Class Action Complaint against the Cincinnati Bengals, following a trend with cheerleaders from other teams. Brenneman claims that along with the uncompensated hours during practice, she promotes the Ben-GALS calendar and attends mandatory charity events.

[Alexa Brenneman Complaint]

Along with claiming that the team violated minimum wage laws, the class action suit hopes to recoup the back-pay that should have been earned, along with a complaint that cheerleaders are not being paid on time (at the first of the month).

Though some will roll their collective eyes at the complaint (probably with some even wondering why cheerleaders don't just love to cheer for your favorite team), I'm not sure if any one of us would ever agree to do a job that's five dollars (per hour) less than minimum wage.

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2014/2/13/5407916/cheerleader-files-lawsuit-against-the-bengals

Yes the cheerleaders should be paid.  However, if they signed up for employment as a cheerleader they were fully aware of what the package included.

Can someone please explain why does someone knowingly work for peanuts and then turn around and sue for wages and other items ?  After reading the entire document posted by 1181, she knew what she was getting into and knew how much she was going to get paid. 

$90/game is shocking considering it costs $100/hr to have Who Dey at public appearances.  

I'm no Labor Law expert, but I wonder if a big part of it is how, and if cheerleaders are classified.  Are they considered part time jobs, or are the considered a volunteer service that is slightly compensated.  Most of them have other full time jobs.

If this is considered like an extra-curricular activity that the women are volunteering their time for, that's where the issue lies.  

$90/game is shocking considering it costs $100/hr to have Who Dey at public appearances.  

I'm no Labor Law expert, but I wonder if a big part of it is how, and if cheerleaders are classified.  Are they considered part time jobs, or are the considered a volunteer service that is slightly compensated.  Most of them have other full time jobs.

If this is considered like an extra-curricular activity that the women are volunteering their time for, that's where the issue lies.  

I have a feeling if this lawsuit gains any traction, cheerleading will turn into a fully volunteer basis without the $90 a game or it will simply be eliminated. I don't think owners are willing to pay them up to 3x what they currently get paid.

$90/game is ridiculous considering all the other time this includes. Are they unionized? I'm guessing not.

They should get a raise but of course soP will need to raise ticket prices.

IF it was only Mike Brown, I might understand.  However, there are quite a few teams that pay their cheerleaders poorly.

IF it was only Mike Brown, I might understand.  However, there are quite a few teams that pay their cheerleaders poorly.

I have no idea how much she gets paid. But I work with a guy whose daughter is a Ravens cheerleader. They all got Super Bowl rings last year

http://www.bengals.com/cheerleaders/auditions.html

9. Is being a Ben-Gal cheerleader a full-time job?

No. Ben-Gal cheerleaders either work a full-time job or are students

On some NFL teams their cheerleaders get a pair of season tickets.  Not too shabby because it adds significantly to the word "compensation".  I remember seeing some of their families at the games last year.  Not sure if ours gets the tickets as part of the deal or whether the cost is reduced.  There is someone on here that knows some personally and can probably get a straight answer.  Chime in.

http://www.redskins.com/cheerleaders/auditions/faq.html

Are the Cheerleaders paid?

Yes, each cheerleader is paid $75.00 a game and receives a pair of season tickets. There are many events that we attend over the course of the year that also pay cheerleaders.

I know two ladies who were cheerleaders for the Titans and they told me about how they weren't compensated but there are other perks. Many cheerleaders are models who get exposure and great networking opportunities, also being around a bunch of single millionaires isn't a bad way to spend your free time either. I know there are "rules" that say that they aren't supposed to "date" the players but c'mon. 

The girls I knew got to fly to Florida for a calendar shoot and made money off of that, however I'm sure they would like to get paid more money..who wouldn't. 

My thing is you have to audition for these positions, so obviously you know what you are getting yourself into so I don't understand why someone would sue after the fact. If you don't like the pay, don't apply for the job...pretty simple concept. You can't agree to do a job, complete the job, and sue for more money after the fact.

A cheerleader for the Cincinnati Bengals has sued the football franchise accusing the team of violating federal wage laws.

Alexa Brenneman, in a class action lawsuit filed in Cincinnati and aimed at covering all Ben-Gals, said the cheer squad members put in more than 300 hours of time attending mandatory practices and charity events and performing required volunteer work but are paid a flat rate of $90 a game for cheering at 10 games during the 2013 season.

The suit says Brenneman was paid $2.85 an hour when the Ohio minimum wage in 2013 was $7.85 an hour.

The complaint seeks a judge’s order to stop the Bengals from violating the Fair Labor Standards Act, unpaid wages for cheerleaders, attorney fees and court costs.

Team officials issued this statement through spokesman Jack Brennan:

“The Ben-Gals cheerleading program has long been a program run by former cheerleaders and has enjoyed broad support in the community and by members of the squad. The lawsuit appears to be a copycat lawsuit that mimics the one filed last month in California against a different NFL club. The Bengals will address the litigation in due course.”

U.S. District Judge Michael Barrett first will have to determine whether the lawsuit can proceed as a class action.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20140213/NEWS/302130086/?sf22788710=1

Dated a Orlando Magic dancer in college. They got the same thing, something like $50 a game and that covered their pay for practices as well. They did get paid $10 an hour or so when they did appearances. Most were college chicks who were aspiring models or dancers who did it for the exposure and fun. They all certainly know what they are getting into when they sign up. This chick is probably hoping for a quick settlement or still chasing the fame that she didn't get from being a Ben-Gal  

from what i recall the cheerleaders for those appearances get paid out of that appearance fee, so they are getting paid $90 per home game, for the game, for the time at the game.. which is 6 hours if i recall, so $15/hr... unpaid practice isnt a labor violation, players cant sue for not getting paid for working out or practicing in the offseason.. 

there are 100% commission jobs, im sure the NFL teams contract with these ladies is rock solid, and they all signed it... so in that regard it IS a roll my eyes lawsuit..

i think they should probably get paid $200/week, but not much more, they really dont bring anything to the game, i like looking at bouncing titties as much as the next guy, maybe more, but they could just as easily make it a volunteer job and easily fill the slots... so take your $900/season+appearance fees and be quiet. or quit if you dont like it, you are wasting the courts, teams, and your own time.

the one cheerleader i knew was a college girl at UC, was pretty stoked to get the $90 for cheering and she got like $20/hr for appearances IIRC( i think the bengals charges $75/pair for the hour and $100-ish for who dey), and got a free ticket to each game for her b/f or dad, whoever went...

Can someone please explain why does someone knowingly work for peanuts and then turn around and sue for wages and other items ?  After reading the entire document posted by 1181, she knew what she was getting into and knew how much she was going to get paid. 

Liberalism. First fast food workers, then the teeny tiny amount of people making minimum wage, and now cheerleaders. Soon enough, the welfare recipients that knowingly choose a life of welfare will be suing for $100k per year handouts.

People have a choice in what they make in this country (within reason). Dont like it? Better yourself in order to make more money.

Archived