Most Overrated Movies

Go Skins

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='664070' date='May 8 2008, 03:08 PM']Troy was a great movie.[/quote]
I thought it was decent, but overhyped. This is actually a tough topic because it's hard not to list simply "bad" movies that most people will generally agree are "bad", but you have to list movies that you may have liked but not as much as you thought you would.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='664069' date='May 8 2008, 03:59 PM']A big part of that movie, I think, is that you have to enjoy bluegrass music.[/quote]

The music was the movie's best feature,that is true.

[quote name='Montana Bengal' post='664079' date='May 8 2008, 03:40 PM']Is Waterworld Overrated? Did anyone actually like it?[/quote]
I don't know. I thought it was OK, but it had such hype and a huge budget...I just threw it out there.

Natural Born Killers
Godfather(s)
Matrix
Goodfellas
Fight Club

And anything that is "Hooowaaa aren't the Americans just fucking great. Look how we won WWII entirely on our own, recovering Enigma and generally kicking ass". So U571, Pearl Harbour, that kinda guff.

Perhaps a better thread would be "highly rated movies that actually deliver". Das Boot, Empire Strikes Back, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, stuff like that.
VB

[quote name='sois' post='664010' date='May 8 2008, 11:30 AM']Swingers. What a puss (the main crybaby guy).

Also, I don't like movies where dudes like to hang out with other dudes too much. (That Matt Damon movie comes to mind). Kinda gay.

Oh yeah, any thing with aliens (Star Wars, Star Track, anything with Star in the name).

[b]Anything with british accents.[/b]

Anything pompous (probably a movie with british accents; stuff about queens and kings genrally)

[b]Anything with fake martial arts [/b](crotching dragon type films)[/quote]
Have you seen ....Snatch? Hoow about Kill Bill 1 & 2

All good movies....check them out.

[quote name='Jason' post='664067' date='May 8 2008, 03:54 PM']I really don't get the love for Oh Brother. If I had not been watching it with my mom, I would have turned it off long before it was over. And my wife hated it more than I did.[/quote]
im guessing youre not a fan any of the coen brothers movies

its one of my favorite films and its actually pretty amazing how well they fit the odyssey in there

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='664388' date='May 9 2008, 09:46 PM']agreed. the first one was great.[/quote]

First one good, next two not so good. In fact, they were downright pieces of shite.

And might I reiterate, since the opposite has been suggested, that Kill Bill is rubbish?

[quote name='sois' post='664010' date='May 9 2008, 01:30 AM']Swingers. What a puss (the main crybaby guy).

Also, I don't like movies where dudes like to hang out with other dudes too much. (That Matt Damon movie comes to mind). Kinda gay.

Oh yeah, any thing with aliens (Star Wars, Star Track, anything with Star in the name).

[color="#FF0000"]Anything with british accents.[/color]

Anything pompous (probably a movie with british accents; stuff about queens and kings genrally)

Anything with fake martial arts (crotching dragon type films)[/quote]

Dude, you didn't like Snatch? That movie was fuckin' killer.
MULLY

Wow, a lot of the movies listed here are some of my favorites.
First Blood
Rocky
Reservoir Dogs
Gone With the Wind
O' Brother <----totally kick ass
Pirates of the Caribbean (the first one)
The Godfather

Granted, the sequels to a lot of these flicks aren't so hot, but the first ones kick ass.
MULLY

[quote name='Go Tory Go!' post='664391' date='May 9 2008, 11:03 PM']First one good, next two not so good. In fact, they were downright pieces of shite.

And might I reiterate, since the opposite has been suggested, that Kill Bill is rubbish?[/quote]

I liked the other two other than the fact that they turned Morepheus into a complete wuss.

For me, biggest disappointment - Anchorman (I really thought it was going to be funny... it REALLY was not)

Biggest surprise - The Count of Monte Cristo - what a fantastic movie!

[quote name='Cat' post='664440' date='May 11 2008, 12:29 AM']For me, biggest disappointment - Anchorman (I really thought it was going to be funny... it REALLY was not)
[b]
Biggest surprise - The Count of Monte Cristo - what a fantastic movie![/b][/quote]
Just curious, which version?

The book was a *very* pleasant surprise. Especially since I don't often read.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='664063' date='May 8 2008, 03:45 PM']Blair Witch Project. I went and saw this movie with the creator of the thread on sneak preview in a small cramped theater, worst movie going experience EVER!

God that movie sucked.[/quote]

:049: :049: :049: :049:

It was funny to see people actually trying to scalp tickets.
Jamie - that theater got torn down a few years ago, nothing has replaced it. It was sad how many screenings were there through the years.

[quote name='KangarWhoDey' post='664443' date='May 10 2008, 09:35 AM']Just curious, which version?

The book was a *very* pleasant surprise. Especially since I don't often read.[/quote]

Well, the only one I saw was this one...

[url="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0245844/"]http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0245844/[/url]

I hadn't seen the older version. The story was good... :)

[quote name='Lucid' post='664055' date='May 8 2008, 02:13 PM']Can I ask what it was about Natural Born Killers that you liked? I have never gotten any answer other than "it's just cool man!". And I still don't see it.[/quote]

Agreed. Natural Born Killers tried way too hard and failed. Oliver Stone saw a couple of David Lynch movies (Wild at Heart and Blue Velvet specifically) that blew his mind. He tried to do get creative in a similar way and failed. NBK was false. I thought Love and a 45 was more fun and took itself less seriously..

[quote name='Fulcher_33' post='664397' date='May 10 2008, 02:21 AM']Dude, you didn't like Snatch? That movie was fuckin' killer.
MULLY[/quote]

Yes, Snatch was killer - as was Sexy Beast and Layer Cake..

The most overrated movies to me are most anything that has a II, III at the end of it or anything featuring a Marvel superhero - ESPECIALLY Fantastic Four.

Archived