Bengals interested in T.O.

[quote]NFL Rumor Central: Several teams still interested in Owens?t
You are signed into Insider and have access to this premium feature.
Friday, March 6
Several teams still interested in Owens?
Terrell Owens | Cowboys | Interested: Buccaneers? 49ers? Raiders? Chiefs? Colts? Packers? Lions? Broncos? [b]Bengals?[/b] Buccaneers? Bills?
After the initial surprise of Terrell Owens' release had worn off yesterday, many teams began the process of declaring their non-interest in the standout wide receiver. By the end of the day, half of the league's 32 teams had made public statements indicating they would not be interested in signing the star. This leaves the problem of which teams that need help at wide receiver actually do want to roll the dice with Owens.

In a text message to ESPN, Owens' agent Drew Rosenhaus indicated "There are several teams that are interested in signing Terrell. I have been in negotiations with these teams. I will not identify these teams at this time. Terrell and I expect to have a deal in place by the end of next week if not sooner." ESPN's Chris Mortensen asked around to his league sources and identified just two teams that are considered a "maybe", those being the Oakland Raiders and San Francisco 49ers.

In addition to the Raiders and the Denver Broncos, who expressed interest in T.O. during his last brush with free agency, there are four other likely destinations for Owens in the AFC: the Buffalo Bills, [b]Cincinnati Bengals[/b], Indianapolis Colts and Kansas City Chiefs. Buffalo is in need of a complement to Lee Evans and the team has been in talks with Laveranues Coles recently. Although Owens would be a dynamic addition to the team, it's not a great fit for him, given the team's poor quarterback play and the blue collar sensibilities of the fanbase.

[b]The Bengals are left with a hole at wide receiver after they lost out on T.J. Houshmandzadeh, and based on their silence regarding Owens there must be some internal conversations going on regarding his potential with the team. With a healthy Carson Palmer returning in 2009, the Bengals would become an instant contender with the addition of T.O., and the weekly touchdown dance oneupmanship between Owens and Chad Ocho Cinco could result in a new record for fines issued to one team for the practice.[/b]

Indianapolis has to be considered a bit of a longshot given the current strength of their receiving corps, but the team has not yet stated it won't consider Owens and we'll keep the door open until the team shuts it. That leaves the Chiefs who have been one of the most active teams in free agency so far, and made a tsunami-level splash with the controversial trade for Matt Cassel. With Tony Gonzalez chomping at the bit to play on a championship-level team, an Owens signing would certainly send the Chiefs' offense to new heights, thereby acquiescing somewhat to the demands of the Pro Bowl tight end.

In the NFC, the prospects are less enticing. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are apparently still in the running given their silence on the topic, and with a considerable margin left under the salary cap Owens might be just one of the free agents they'll target in the coming weeks. However, with a shady situation at quarterback it's unlikely T.O. would want to get involved, especially when he'll be competing with franchised wideout Antonio Bryant and tight end Kellen Winslow for passes.

The one division of teams that has remained largely silent on Owens is the NFC North. Two writers for the Chicago Tribune have expressed heated arguments both in favor of the Bears signing Owens, and against the signing. The Green Bay Packers have not yet publicly established that they're out of the Owens picture, but a poll on the website of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel seems to be swaying overwhelming against the fans being in favor of that likelihood. With Aaron Rodgers having developed a fine chemistry with Greg Jennings and Co. last season, an addition of Owens is certainly a difficult sell. Lastly, the Detroit Lions are still in the running, and while they have indicated that the offense will be built around Calvin Johnson going forward, there is no legitimate second option behind Johnson.

As the oft-mentioned cliche goes, 30 NFL teams might not be interested, but it only takes two to make a market.[/quote]

I thought this deserved it's own thread thanks to it's ridiculousness!!!!!....(is that even a word?)

Pretty broad leap there. I can't imagine they want this problem in the locker room. I would assume that the Bengals would automatically be an exclusion s the $$$ involved would far exceed what they would want to pay for another reciever. That being said life would be real interesting if they could all play along. Imagine lining up TO, Chad, Coles and Henry in a 4 WR set, with an Oline that could actually give Palmer time. I'd have a feeling there'd be some records set.

But to undo this fantasy, no way could Chad and TO coexist and with the $$$ involved, we couldn't afford an oline to protect Palmer.

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' post='754137' date='Mar 6 2009, 01:02 PM']I thought this deserved it's own thread thanks to it's ridiculousness!!!!!....(is that even a word?)[/quote]
STFU ESPN!!!

Huge hole? Was this written before we signed Coles? How many WRs do they think we can have on the field at the same time? Are we running the A-11 now?

I love how there is "silence" regarding Owens so that must mean we are internally debating having him...or it could mean they aren't even contemplating it at all!

[quote name='ccartman2' post='754140' date='Mar 6 2009, 01:07 PM']Pretty broad leap there. I can't imagine they want this problem in the locker room. I would assume that the Bengals would automatically be an exclusion s the $$$ involved would far exceed what they would want to pay for another reciever. That being said life would be real interesting if they could all play along. Imagine lining up TO, Chad, Coles and Henry in a 4 WR set, with an Oline that could actually give Palmer time. I'd have a feeling there'd be some records set.

[b] But to undo this fantasy, no way could Chad and TO coexist and with the $$$ involved, we couldn't afford an oline to protect Palmer.[/b][/quote]

Exactly....the offense is always going to struggle until we can run the ball consistently and protect Palmer. The Bengals are trying to get rid of T.O. type players not acquire more.

[quote]based on their silence regarding Owens there must be some internal conversations going on regarding his potential with the team.[/quote]

They reason that the Bengals must be considering signing TO because the Bengals havent commented on Owens since his release? Is this person a moron?

Obama hasnt commented on the Owens release either, that silence can only mean that he is considering Owens for a cabinet position.

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' post='754141' date='Mar 6 2009, 12:09 PM']STFU ESPN!!!

Huge hole? Was this written before we signed Coles? How many WRs do they think we can have on the field at the same time? Are we running the A-11 now?

I love how there is "silence" regarding Owens so that must mean we are internally debating having him...or it could mean they aren't even contemplating it at all![/quote]

More importantly, how would they get Chad and TO to fit in the same locker room at the same time?

This article was obviously written before Coles was signed since it mentions him possibly signing with Buffalo.

Before Coles was signed, we were interested in a WR so it wasn't a preposterous thought. But now we signed our guy and are likely out of the market.

[quote name='happyrid' post='754166' date='Mar 6 2009, 12:50 PM']This article was obviously written before Coles was signed since it mentions him possibly signing with Buffalo.

Before Coles was signed, we were interested in a WR so it wasn't a preposterous thought. But now we signed our guy and are likely out of the market.[/quote]

its poorly written then as Coles had reached a deal with the Bengals about 6 hours before the rumor of Owens getting cut had started surfacing.

Yahoo! jumping on the bandwagon
[url="http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/My-vision-Chad-Johnson-and-Terrell-Owens-as-tea?urn=nfl,146257"]http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_...?urn=nfl,146257[/url]

how do these people get paid? this is something I might say at 2am at a bar to my friend after way too many shots

[quote]My vision: Chad Johnson and Terrell Owens as teammates

By MJD

I mentioned it on the podcast this morning, and I'd like to expand further on it here today ... I believe the perfect fit for Terrell Owens is with the Cincinnati Bengals, right alongside Chad Johnson and his great big bag of crazy.

It sounds nuts. And you know what, maybe it is. But if there was ever anything that fit the description "just crazy enough to work," it's this. Hear me out. There's something behind this madness. I can feel it.

I believe that Terrell Owens and his crazy might just cancel out Chad Johnson and his crazy and leave everyone in some wild state of bliss. I know it seems counterintuitive on the surface, but think of it like a flu shot, which is actually a small dose of the flu. Flu shot + Flu = No Flu. Crazy, right?

I've got a number of theories as to why this might work.

1. They might be willing to defer to each other in recognition of the other's immense talent. Chad Johnson has a lot of respect for Terrell Owens. Terrell Owens has a lot of respect for Chad Johnson. It might take a superstar playing opposite them for each of them to finally not care who gets the touches. Maybe crazy wide receivers understand each other. Maybe Chad Johnson is the only person on earth who can see where Terrell Owens is coming from, and vice versa.

2. Maybe they set such a negative example for each other that they both start thinking, "Man, I don't want to act as crazy as that guy," and suddenly, you have two superstars on your team, both acting sane. It's difficult for a man to step outside himself and see how he's acting. But if these guys could both get a close-up look at a team-killing distraction, it might give them some insight into themselves.

3. It would be the ultimate "chip on the shoulder" scenario. Imagine the media reaction if the Bengals actually end up signing Owens. Numerous ESPN personalities would have aneurysms on the air while talking about how this is the dumbest thing any franchise has ever done. There would be shows that don't even talk about sports calling this a bad idea. Jim Cramer would dedicate a half hour to talking about how nuts this is. Rachel Ray would bake a special "The Bengals are morons" cake. Both Owens and Johnson love to prove people wrong, and they'd never get an opportunity as good as this.

And imagine the on-field ramifications if it did work. Terrell Owens and Chad Johnson attacking the same secondary? With Laveraneus Coles working the underneath routes? And Chris Henry as a fourth receiver? Carson Palmer healthy and getting the ball to the open guy? Good luck defending that. Honestly, I don't even think Carson Palmer would be necessary. Ryan Fitzpatrick could be effective with a healthy, motivated and mentally stable Owens, Johnson, Coles and Henry.

And on the subject of Carson Palmer ... yeah, we may have to sacrifice his mental health. If things worked out optimally, he'd be the happiest guy alive. But if they didn't, he'd have mood swings to make a pregnant crack addict blush. One minute, he's thrilled because of his targets, and the next minute, he's suicidal because of who those targets are.

Maybe you even take things one step farther and bring in Mike Martz as offensive coordinator or head coach, and throw the ball 60 times a game. Why the hell not? You play the Ravens and the Steelers twice each, so it's not like you can run it.

And if we're going to ahead and make that hire, I might recommend Dr. Phil as the wide receivers coach, too. Just in case.

What's the worst that could happen? It doesn't work out, it's a miserable locker room, and the Bengals are a laughingstock. So what. This describes most years in the NFL. It's not like there's a great deal to lose here.

Make this happen, Cincinnati Bengals. It might be the only thing that works for Terrell Owens, and it might be the only thing that works for you. Be bold, gentlemen. Be bold.[/quote]

[quote name='MrDingleDangle' post='754173' date='Mar 6 2009, 12:58 PM']Yahoo! jumping on the bandwagon
[url="http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/My-vision-Chad-Johnson-and-Terrell-Owens-as-tea?urn=nfl,146257"]http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_...?urn=nfl,146257[/url]

how do these people get paid? this is something I might say at 2am at a bar to my friend after way too many shots[/quote]

not sure if he meant it to be sarcastic, but nonetheless it was humorous, as opposed to the ESPN article that was all serious.

Archived