!!!OFFICIAL 2009 HARD KNOCKS EPISODE #1 THREAD!!!

You know, I don't think too much should be read into MB talking to the coaches as the end. We are only seeing a small clip and the show is meant to highlight the drama and stories regarding the training camp experience. Who knows what was said before or after. I'm not saying there is more to what was presented, but it is highly likely. Perhaps they just need an extra body at TE for practice. Even though there are cameras everywhere, we never are going to see or know the whole story.

Lippencott seemed very aware of the camera and it makes him come across as very nervous. I suspect that this isn't his usual approach and he was probably questioning how to handle it knowing the camera was there.

I didn't think Katie came across badly at all.

I thought Carson's comment about "nut kicking was funny".

I do think that given our history (record and issues), there is going to be a tendency to be heavily criticized for anything that can be criticized.

Anyway, I dug the show.

[quote name='mongo' date='13 August 2009 - 01:31 PM' timestamp='1250181101' post='790472']
We have a hard time getting free agents to visit because Lippincott cut a guy harshly? For real?
[/quote]

Tell me that was not completely unprofessional?

Have you watched the other Hard Knocks series?

At the very least treat other human beings with respect....just awful.

Is that an isolated incident or the general way the organization does business?
Does it even matter anymore? perception is reality and the The Cincinnati Bengals just portrayed the perception that they are a very unprofessionally run organization.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='13 August 2009 - 10:35 AM' timestamp='1250174128' post='790433']
well gee considering she calls him "Andre" during her piece, I think you're on crack. Check for yourself on Go's copy (great quality Go, thanks.)
[/quote]

Where the hell is it? I can't find it, or that forum.

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' date='13 August 2009 - 01:16 PM' timestamp='1250183797' post='790482']
Tell me that was not completely unprofessional?

Have you watched the other Hard Knocks series?

At the very least treat other human beings with respect....just awful.

Is that an isolated incident or the general way the organization does business?
Does it even matter anymore? perception is reality and the The Cincinnati Bengals just portrayed the perception that they are a very unprofessionally run organization.
[/quote]

Like it has been said, you don't know what was said when he asked the
camera guy to leave. And I am sure he was in a big hurry so he could
go cut Kenny Watson, with class.

It was great watching Hard Knocks last night. Here's a few quick things I took away from it:

Zimmer: He's a hard ass and awesome. My new favorite coach. There's no bullshit with him. Really glad we have him.

The D as a whole looks really fired up and could be something special.

Crocker: Big attitude and big talker. It's all good and I hope he's on the field alot. He's exactly what this team needs.

Jeremy Johnson: He's still fat and out of shape. ML will cut him if he can.

Roy Williams is a pussy. He doesn't like contact and seems a little soft to me.

Reggie Kelly: I never realized what leader he is/was. Losing him was a big blow.

Lippincott: What a fat, waddling slob. If he does his job like he takes care of himself, it explains everything. You can't tell me we're getting what we need out of this fat ass. Down right embarassing.

The saddest moment: soP is very very involved. He sat in the front of the room while ML and staff sat in desks like school boys. In every instance, soP is the opposite of motivation, energy, and someone you'd go to war for. I always say that image and attitude starts at the stop. We have a really bad start.

[b][size="5"]Bengals 'Hard Knocks' report: Episode One[/size][/b][size="5"] [/size]

August 13, 2009 11:30 AM

[i]Posted by ESPN.com's James Walker[/i]

HBO's much-anticipated "Hard Knocks" series featuring the [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=cin"][color="#666666"]Cincinnati Bengals[/color][/url] made its debut Wednesday night. Every week the AFC North blog we will break down highlights of the show for ESPN.com readers.

[img]http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/0813/nfl_a_ochocinco_200.jpg[/img]
[size="1"]AP Photo/Al Behrman[/size] [size="1"][b]Chad Ochocinco unveiled his new catchphrase during the first episode of "Hard Knocks."

[/b][/size]Here is a recap of the first episode:

[b]Synopsis:[/b] After a 4-11-1 season that Bengals owner Mike Brown deemed "an embarrassment," the team is trying to fight back from the bottom to the top of the NFL. The series starts with the Olympics-style competition that the team held during minicamp, which displayed an attempt to build unity and a willingness to compete. Once arriving in Georgetown, Ky., the Oklahoma drill serves as an early highlight. The injury bug also strikes the tight end position, where starter [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=1794"][color="#000000"]Reggie Kelly[/color][/url] (Achilles) is lost for the season and [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=5961"][color="#000000"]Ben Utecht[/color][/url] suffers a severe concussion.

[b]Next tight end up:[/b] Last year, then-rookie tight end [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=11295"][color="#000000"]Martellus Bennett[/color][/url] of the [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=dal"][color="#000000"]Dallas Cowboys[/color][/url] was the "Hard Knocks" goat early in training camp. This season Bengals rookie tight end [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=12536"][color="#000000"]Chase Coffman[/color][/url] filled the same void in the debut episode. The show displayed all of Coffman's early mistakes in camp, such as poor routes and sloppy footwork. Ironically, I [color="#000000"]detailed many of those same initial struggles[/color] during my visit to Georgetown. But Coffman has actually improved since and is challenging for first-team reps.

[b]Funny moment No. 1:[/b] In a welcome-to-Bengaldom moment, new safety [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=3536"][color="#000000"]Roy Williams[/color][/url] -- who had spent his entire career in Dallas -- is shocked that players have to pay money to rent televisions for their dorm rooms. "There's no TV?" a startled Williams asked. The prices range from $93 to $266 depending on the size. The Bengals are notorious for their cost-cutting ways and this was yet another example.

[b]Funny moment No. 2:[/b] Fullback [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=4576"][color="#000000"]Jeremi Johnson[/color][/url] entered training camp 11 pounds overweight. And with team trainers working with Johnson every day, he somehow gained three additional pounds in the first week. Weight has always been an issue for Johnson since he arrived to Cincinnati in 2003. But lately he's gotten it together and is [url="http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20090810/SPT02/308100040/1066/Weight-watcher+Johnson+back+at+FB"][color="#000000"]getting work with the first team[/color][/url].

[b]Brown vs. the media:[/b] The Bengals have been a running joke in the media for quite some time and Brown acknowledged that in his address to the team.

"We exposed ourselves to the media, which criticized us and mocked us," the Bengals owner said. "This is a hard business. It can be a tough, bottom-line business where all that matters is did you win or did you lose? Now is the time for us to answer back, and the place for us to answer back is on the playing field. From there, our critics will hear us loud and clear."

[b]The Ocho Show:[/b] In somewhat of an upset, entertaining receiver [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=2584"][color="#000000"]Chad Ochocinco[/color][/url] didn't get his own segment until about 40 minutes into the hour-long program. At that time Ochocinco explained one of his favorite sayings: "Child please!"

"Child please is a nice way to say [expletive] you," said Ochocinco, who recommends that everyone try his new catchphrase.

Ochocinco also explains why Cowboys quarterback [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=5209"][color="#000000"]Tony Romo[/color][/url] split up with Jessica Simpson.

"She bought him a $100,000 boat and now her birthday is coming up. That's a lot of pressure," Ochocinco said to laughing teammates. "As an athlete, we got money. But we don't got money like they [entertainers] got money, so pressure caused the breakup."

[b]Spin control:[/b] Executive vice president Katie Blackburn displayed a perfect example of the Bengals being able to control the message. Wednesday's episode briefly touched on Cincinnati first-round pick [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=12622"][color="#000000"]Andre Smith[/color][/url] being the lone absentee because of a contract dispute. But instead of being fair to both sides and pointing out Cincinnati's awful track record with rookie holdouts, Blackburn had an open forum.

"It's extremely frustrating," Blackburn said. "You're offering them so much money, and yet for some reason they're saying it's not enough."

[b]Grade:[/b] B

[b]Why:[/b] I'm intrigued by the potential of this show, but I thought the first episode was just good, not great. It focused mostly on the players, where I believe the most-compelling stories and mystery surrounding the Bengals involves ownership and the family-run business. I want to see more of Mike Brown, who is a polarizing figure in Cincinnati and rarely in the public eye. I want to see more of the Bengals' football operation, which is scant compared to other NFL teams and has been criticized tremendously over the years. Although I cover the Bengals regularly, I'm still eager to learn something new about the organization with its doors completely open this summer. The debut episode failed to accomplish that goal.

[url="http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcnorth/0-3-323/Bengals--Hard-Knocks--report--Episode-One.html"]http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcnorth/0-3-323/Bengals--Hard-Knocks--report--Episode-One.html[/url]

[quote name='globetrotter' date='13 August 2009 - 03:02 AM' timestamp='1250143343' post='790349']
ok, my thoughts:

1. Jim Lippincot is oddly shaped. He has a fabulous Fupa.
2. Wake up your cut is not a cool way to cut someone. However, forcing the tv crews out of the room was a great move.
3. Chad Johnson is tolerated by the leaders of the team and not liked. It is obvious. The leaders of the team are dhani, Carson, Whitworth and probably more that I dont know of. Chad is a joke to all of them. A ticking timebomb of a diva who they have to treat differently then everyone else.
4. Roy Williams might not be going hard....that might be a good thing against our own players.
5. People are being too hard on Mike Brown. He is the GM so he leads the personnel meetings. He did not dictate anything to anyone...he asked a question. Could we try this. The coaches clearly had veto power or at the very least the power to sway MBs opinion by giving theirs.
[/quote]

sorry guys, with all this FUPA talk, i just couldn't resist. :blink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2C0EoJK4LM

[quote name='oldschooler' date='13 August 2009 - 02:27 PM' timestamp='1250184478' post='790485']
Where the hell is it? I can't find it, or that forum.
[/quote]

[b]GB Forums > Non-Sports Talk > General Discussion > Private > Hard Knocks Information[/b]

Then on page 2 of the forum, Go posted this....

[quote]
Posted Today, 10:37 AM
GoBengals, on 13 August 2009 - 10:22 AM, said:
the conversion did me in as well....took until about 4:15 it appears.. i passed out just before then... its uploading now... will be finished by the time I post this tho..

RIGHT CLICK then "SAVE AS" to save it.. otherwise it may try to just play in your browser, which isnt gonna work so hot...

[i][b]actual link is here when you go there[/b][/i]

there is an AVI file there... quicktime or VLC player will play it.. not sure about windows media player... if people have issues with AVI's i can make an MPG or DIVX version as well.. just let me know of any issues..
[/quote]

click the link. I didnt include the actual link because it was meant to be gotten to from that forum, not this one. Hope that helps.

[quote name='oldschooler' date='13 August 2009 - 11:17 AM' timestamp='1250173074' post='790426']
From Lance McAlister's blog . . .

[b]*Scary scene: Mike Brown running the staff meeting going over the roster. He asked coaches if DE Chris Harrington can be moved to TE to help. Hayes says it would be tough (Did Hayes roll his eyes or was he simply stunned?). Mike lays out the plan to carry two FB's and 3 TE's.[/b]
[/quote]

This outrage (maybe too strong a word) about Mike Brown suggesting that Chris Harrington be tried at TE during a meeting is stupid. HBO showed us 1 minute of the meeting. For all we know the previous 10 minutes could have been a discussion of potential free agent TEs. Mike Brown is clearly just brainstorming. He prefaces his comments by saying "this is a wild idea, but..." This is just like saying "I am brainstorming here, but..." Nothing more. Brainstorming is a very useful excercise when problem solving. That conversation happened about a week ago. Has there been any reports of Harrington actually being moved to TE? No. So again, this is just a deadend in a brainstorming session. I think everyone is reading too much into it.

Also, the idea of moving a player to a new position is not stupid. It happens all the time sometimes with great success. The Pats moved Dan Klecko from DT to FB a few years ago and he was their starter for a couple of years. The Bills moved Jason Peters from TE to OT and he has made several pro-bowls at LT. In the Chief's Hard Knocks they experimented with moving Boomer Grisby from LB to FB. Denver moved Deltha O'Neal from CB to WR. The Pats moved Troy Brown from WR to CB. It especially makes sense in the case of a guy that isnt going to make the team at his current position. If you think he is a good athlete, you might as well try him at another position to see if there is anything there.

[quote name='BlackBengal' date='13 August 2009 - 03:13 PM' timestamp='1250187187' post='790499']
This outrage (maybe too strong a word) about Mike Brown suggesting that Chris Harrington be tried at TE during a meeting is stupid. HBO showed us 1 minute of the meeting. For all we know the previous 10 minutes could have been a discussion of potential free agent TEs. Mike Brown is clearly just brainstorming. He prefaces his comments by saying "this is a wild idea, but..." This is just like saying "I am brainstorming here, but..." Nothing more. Brainstorming is a very useful excercise when problem solving. That conversation happened about a week ago. Has there been any reports of Harrington actually being moved to TE? No. So again, this is just a deadend in a brainstorming session. I think everyone is reading too much into it.

Also, the idea of moving a player to a new position is not stupid. It happens all the time sometimes with great success. The Pats moved Dan Klecko from DT to FB a few years ago and he was their starter for a couple of years. The Bills moved Jason Peters from TE to OT and he has made several pro-bowls at LT. In the Chief's Hard Knocks they experimented with moving Boomer Grisby from LB to FB. Denver moved Deltha O'Neal from CB to WR. The Pats moved Troy Brown from WR to CB. It especially makes sense in the case of a guy that isnt going to make the team at his current position. If you think he is a good athlete, you might as well try him at another position to see if there is anything there.
[/quote]

not to mention:

A) He's the GM, its his job to run those meetings

and

B) Harrington never even made the switch, so its not like MB got his way, or was even trying to.

[quote name='oldschooler' date='13 August 2009 - 02:37 PM' timestamp='1250185042' post='790489']
[

[b]Why:[/b] I'm intrigued by the potential of this show, but I thought the first episode was just good, not great. [b]It focused mostly on the players, where I believe the most-compelling stories and mystery surrounding the Bengals involves ownership and the family-run business.[/b] I want to see more of Mike Brown, who is a polarizing figure in Cincinnati and rarely in the public eye. I want to see more of the Bengals' football operation, which is scant compared to other NFL teams and has been criticized tremendously over the years. Although I cover the Bengals regularly, I'm still eager to learn something new about the organization with its doors completely open this summer. The debut episode failed to accomplish that goal.

[url="http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcnorth/0-3-323/Bengals--Hard-Knocks--report--Episode-One.html"]http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcnorth/0-3-323/Bengals--Hard-Knocks--report--Episode-One.html[/url]
[/quote]
Lets all just line up and use his adams apple as a speedbag.

Who the fuck wants to show up and watch an hour of the Mike Brown show for 5 weeks? [b]OF COURSE[/b] its more about the players and coaches, moron. Thats why you're not the director. If Mike Brown or any of his family had personality, maybe they would warrant another 2 minutes of screentime, max. It still is and always will be about the players and coaches, and thats what most fans want. Maybe....just maybe....as it gets closer to the season and the really hard cuts have to be made, the Browns will see more time onscreen.

The best part for me was when Carson had his serious talk with Chad. It went something like this.

"YOU CAN'T TAKE ANY PLAYS OFF. WE'VE MISSED TOO MUCH TIME. WE HAVE TO MUCH TOO MAKE UP. WHEN WE GET A CHANCE TO HIT ONE WE [b]HAVE[/b] TO HIT IT."

Carson takes a lot of grief for not being a leader, but I think that short little clip spoke volumes about his leadership ability.

[quote name='Jason' date='13 August 2009 - 01:09 PM' timestamp='1250183377' post='790479']
We have no idea what was said after Lippincot kicked the camera guy out. He may have said all of that stuff.
[/quote]

There were subtitles for what was said after the door was shut and his message remained the same.

[ Usually The Turk, who in this case is Jim Lippincott, says the coach wants to see you and then you bring the playbooks. In this case, The Turk did everything which also brings up the long discussion of who actually gets to decide the roster — Lewis or Mike Brown?[/list]

[

apparently, lippincott's long-held nickname "the grim reaper" has slid under the radar of many fans/writers.

"...and now you know the rest of the story."

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' date='13 August 2009 - 02:44 PM' timestamp='1250185459' post='790491']
[img]http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/0813/nfl_a_ochocinco_200.jpg[/img]

this picture is priceless, just the feeling of this season....almost as if their having fun the confidence is high, and we're going to do real good. i love Marvin.
[/quote]

You noticed he did call Chad, Ocho? He said he wouldnt publicly before. Just goes to show what is said in front of the media and what happens not in front of the media are not always the same.

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='13 August 2009 - 04:26 PM' timestamp='1250191595' post='790515']
You noticed he did call Chad, Ocho? He said he wouldnt publicly before. Just goes to show what is said in front of the media and what happens not in front of the media are not always the same.
[/quote]

didn't he say that before he legally changed it though?

[quote name='Memphis_Bengal' date='13 August 2009 - 04:03 PM' timestamp='1250190205' post='790508']
There were subtitles for what was said after the door was shut and his message remained the same.
[/quote]
In an effort for fairness, once the door was shut the camera cut and the next shot was looking at the closed door from a few feet back. I'm inclined to think that only a few seconds passed, but in reality we have ABSOLUTELY NO WAY OF KNOWING how much time passed.

[quote name='GoCommando' date='13 August 2009 - 02:11 PM' timestamp='1250187095' post='790497']
[b]GB Forums > Non-Sports Talk > General Discussion > Private > Hard Knocks Information
[/b][/quote]

I see no Private forum at all in the General Discussion area.
Just a Hall of Fame thread.

From John Thornton's blog (a comment he made to a post)

[url="http://www.allproblogger.com/"][color="#660000"]JT[/color][/url]

[url="http://www.allproblogger.com/2009/08/13/hard-knocks/#comment-3083"][color="#999999"]August 13th, 2009 at 2:35 pm[/color][/url]

Lippy is a good dude, I was just talking to him the other day at practice. I just think the NFL can be cruel when they don’t have to. I have seen other teams on Hard Knocks bring the guys in the coaches office to let them go. And then give them a reason why they are releasing them, other than “ability.” If that was the case, why was he there? He was around the team last year as well.

[url="http://www.allproblogger.com/2009/08/13/hard-knocks/#comments"]http://www.allproblogger.com/2009/08/13/hard-knocks/#comments[/url]

[quote name='oldschooler' date='13 August 2009 - 04:49 PM' timestamp='1250192942' post='790525']
I see no Private forum at all in the General Discussion area.
Just a Hall of Fame thread.
[/quote]
Here's what I see.......

[attachment=599:Picture 1.png]

Maybe you've been banned or something. :lol:

[quote name='GoCommando' date='13 August 2009 - 03:58 PM' timestamp='1250193481' post='790528']
Here's what I see.......

[attachment=599:Picture 1.png]

Maybe you've been banned or something. [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif[/img]
[/quote]

Something is definitely up. Must be my post count being adjusted.
Because I don't see that at all. All I see if the Hall of Fame Subforum. [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/default/mellow.gif[/img]

Archived