!!!OFFICIAL 2009 HARD KNOCKS EPISODE #1 THREAD!!!

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='13 August 2009 - 11:14 AM' timestamp='1250172872' post='790422']
Lipencott felt very uncomfortable on camera. I'd bet he'd like to do that scene differently. He seemed nervous and did it in a manner that he wasn't intending to (I'm like that, when you're nervous the words never come out right). Still don't get why they didn't have Marvin do it if that's how they've done it in the past.
[/quote]

Yeah, not sure why it wasn't Marvin, maybe that's something they just changed for the show, as to not put Marvin in a bad light. I agree with your take on Lipencott being nervous, maybe that is in correlation with him saying "We only cut based on ability" which kind of sounded cold, not sure he intended it to come out that way.

[quote name='Nukem41' date='13 August 2009 - 09:01 AM' timestamp='1250168483' post='790385']
Not just this thread but Bengal fans all over the internet are commenting on this about how scary it is. If you didn't know it before you should now know why they have had only one winning season in the past 15 plus years. The coaches clearly didn't have veto power. Go rewatch the scene again because you obviously weren't paying attention.
[/quote]
No, you and all the scare-mongers are reading way too much into that scene.

Anyway, this tidbit from one of the articles in this thread made me laugh:

"We'll see if what happened today makes it," Whitworth said. "We like to slap box and [b]let's just say he knows now why they have weight classes[/b]."

[quote name='Farbeyonddriven' date='13 August 2009 - 11:20 AM' timestamp='1250173200' post='790427']
Yeah, not sure why it wasn't Marvin, maybe that's something they just changed for the show, as to not put Marvin in a bad light. I agree with your take on Lipencott being nervous, maybe that is in correlation with him saying [b]"We only cut based on ability"[/b] which kind of sounded cold, not sure he intended it to come out that way.
[/quote]

yea he said it like 2-3 times, different ways each time. Definitely seemed nervous.

Some tweets from Willie Anderson . . .

[url="http://twitter.com/WillAnderson79"][b][color="#0084b4"]WillAnderson79[/color][/b][/url]Lippincot is hard man! Wow! When they cut Jevon Langford one year they took security. Lippincot was afraid of him!lol
[url="http://twitter.com/WillAnderson79/status/3278692226"]about 12 hours ago[/url] from [url="http://help.twitter.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=75"]txt[/url]

[url="http://twitter.com/WillAnderson79"][b][color="#0084b4"]WillAnderson79[/color][/b][/url]Yeah Right! Mike Brown won't let them cut Jeremy Johnson. He made the coaches go find him in Kentucky this offseason.
[url="http://twitter.com/WillAnderson79/status/3278227529"]about 12 hours ago[/url] from [url="http://help.twitter.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=75"]txt[/url]

[url="http://twitter.com/WillAnderson79"][b][color="#0084b4"]WillAnderson79[/color][/b][/url]Reggie Kelly Great man of God! I got tears in my eyes watching Hard Knocks! He 's lost for season! Love that guy man!
[url="http://twitter.com/WillAnderson79/status/3278129927"]about 12 hours ago[/url] from [url="http://help.twitter.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=75"]txt[/url]

[quote name='Mu Shu' date='13 August 2009 - 12:56 AM' timestamp='1250135792' post='790331']
I loved it. Oddly enough, the only parts that made me cringe were Mike Brown making personal decisions at the end, [b]and Katie not even being able to remember the name of our 1st round holdout.[/b]

I love Chase Coffman, but that had to of been brutal for him. Though thanks to him we got the best line of the night...

"You're straighter than a hard on"
[/quote]

well gee considering she calls him "Andre" during her piece, I think you're on crack. Check for yourself on Go's copy (great quality Go, thanks.)

what fool is concerned about the DE to TE move? its CLEARLY just for camp.. harringotn isnt sniffing the 53 man or practice squad at either spot. what does it matter what position he plays camp fodder at ?

what simpleton thinks mike brown wants harrington to play TE on our roster during the season?

are you people fucking kidding me?

we are keeping 3 TE and 2 FB he says... raise your hand if your so fucking stupid you think harrington is gonna be one of the top 3 TE?s or remotely near making the DE spot?

with utecht sitting down, but fine for season(from what i assume/understand) that leaves coffman, coates (just now backon field) and that rookie guy, you need more TE's for reps and rills alone..

Utecht, Coffman, Coates = the 3 TE's... if one of them is lost forever, then that other tall due is #4..

dumbasses acting like that 17th in line DE is gonna play TE or something.. like mike wants him taking reggie kelly's snaps or something..

what the fuck is wrong with people?

coaches seemed to have a "wtf, i guess, why bother" type of feeling about it.. which i assume by the meeting they were having was a "ok wtf are we gonna do at TE now" meeting, going from 4-5 to 2 TE's are one point.

people that studpid shouldnt be allowed outside when its light out.

[quote name='GoBengals' date='13 August 2009 - 11:58 AM' timestamp='1250175522' post='790440']
what fool is concerned about the DE to TE move? its CLEARLY just for camp.. harringotn isnt sniffing the 53 man or practice squad at either spot. what does it matter what position he plays camp fodder at ?

what simpleton thinks mike brown wants harrington to play TE on our roster during the season?

we are keeping 3 TE and 2 FB he says... raise your hand if your so fucking stupid you think harrington is gonna be one of the top 3 TE?s or remotely near making the DE spot?

with utecht sitting down, but fine for season(from what i assume/understand) that leaves coffman, coates (just now backon field) and that rookie guy, you need more TE's for reps and rills alone..

Utecht, Coffman, Coates = the 3 TE's... if one of them is lost forever, then that other tall due is #4..

dumbasses acting like that 17th in line DE is gonna play TE or something.. like mike wants him taking reggie kelly's snaps or something..

coaches seemed to have a "wtf, i guess, why bother" type of feeling about it.. which i assume by the meeting they were having was a "ok wtf are we gonna do at TE now" meeting, going from 4-5 to 2 TE's are one point.

[/quote]

:lol: Harsh. But I agree

I think I've missed something. We do think Utecht will be okay for the season now? Is this "insider" information or speculation? The argument of possible retirement due to a concussion history, combined with the apparent ease in which this last concussion occured, was making a sad sense to me.

[quote name='mongo' date='13 August 2009 - 11:04 AM' timestamp='1250175859' post='790443']
I think I've missed something. We do think Utecht will be okay for the season now? Is this "insider" information or speculation? The argument of possible retirement due to a concussion history, combined with the apparent ease in which this last concussion occured, was making a sad sense to me.
[/quote]

no inside info, no one seems to know. Concussion seems to be a "we will have to see in a few weeks" type of thing..

if he is gone.. im ok with a Coffman - Coates - Inactive on gamedays unless he is a ST badass nobody

if we lose one of those two we are in trouble of utecht isnt returning..
wonder how coffmans blocking is coming?

OK had a night to think more about it:

-still think Tank Johnson's segment was the funniest
-Carson's genuine concern for Utecht and family first gets high charactor/leadership marks
-Lippencot segment very awkward; not my organization but KC Chiefs method seems superior, tell the dude why, tell him what he's got to work on, tell him if he's got a shot with another team etc...
-still tickles me that a Nebraska man owned Roy
-I think Katie deliberately avoided using Andre's name
-Mike Brown's opening speech although uninspired in delivery was spot on for content
-Mike Brown's GM meeting didn't concern me, it is his team
-JT's tweet comments about MB and JJ are more concerning as I assume they are more informed

overall a good start, I didn't expect a Begnals Luv fest nor Spin message from NFL Films, I expected warts and we're seeing some

finally kudos to NFL Films

[quote name='mongo' date='13 August 2009 - 11:18 AM' timestamp='1250176716' post='790448']
I figure in a pinch, we can always sign at Nate Lawrie, league minimum guy.
[/quote]

yea, there are lots of scenarios and options for TE if things go very very badly... and that DE isnt gonna be one of them no matter what. we signed sherie too didnt we?

so we have worst case, Coffman - Coates - Sherie - #49 whoever - That de guy? and lawire sitting at home if needed...

[quote name='ArmyBengal' date='13 August 2009 - 12:17 PM' timestamp='1250176648' post='790447']

-Carson's genuine concern for Utecht and family first gets high charactor/leadership marks
-Lippencot segment very awkward; not my organization but KC Chiefs method seems superior, tell the dude why, tell him what he's got to work on, tell him if he's got a shot with another team etc...
[b]-I think Katie deliberately avoided using Andre's name[/b]
-Mike Brown's opening speech although uninspired in delivery was spot on for content
-JT's tweet comments about MB and JJ are more concerning as I assume they are more informed

overall a good start, I didn't expect a Begnals Luv fest nor Spin message from NFL Films, I expected warts and we're seeing some

[/quote]

She specifically says "I hope it will work out with Andre". Do I have like the super fucking secret copy or something?

[quote name='GoBengals' date='13 August 2009 - 11:58 AM' timestamp='1250175522' post='790440']

[/quote]

Sorry...but to me that gives more fuel to the notion of how out of touch MB really is with football. If this team had a strong winning history with MB at the helm I would agree...but they don't and many in the past have said MB gets too involved in running the team and making poor decisions....

You saw the coaches squirm...it looked to me like they were thinking "Are you fucking kidding me?"

The way J.D. Runnels was handled was awful.....simply awful. As I was watching it I was wondering where the hell Lippincott was going at 5:30 in the morning. I have watched all the Hard Knocks before this and that was just downright cold and unprofessional.

...and people wonder why we have a hard time getting free agents to come here.

All this fuss about MB and the DE to TE thing is ridiculous as Go has pointed out. If there was a FA out there who they felt could help the team better than Coffman and Coats, wouldn't they have brought him in before they went into camp? So there is no one out there thats an upgrade, and we already have a guy with a contract, TE measurables, and a minescule chance at making the roster in his current spot...it makes sense to use his warm body in the TE drills as opposed to going out and signing someone else just for 2 weeks of practice.

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' date='13 August 2009 - 01:24 PM' timestamp='1250180684' post='790469']
...and people wonder why we have a hard time getting free agents to come here.
[/quote]

We have a hard time getting free agents to visit because Lippincott cut a guy harshly? For real?

What the fuck, Chase?

haaa. Chase is going to be a good one.

I teared up when Reggie's segment came on. Such a good dude.

And LOL at Browns fans that think they're going to beat us by watching Hard Knocks.

if any of you seen last season with the Cowboys, i liked their cutting system way better than ours. when you enter the building they have a desk right then and there and as you enter, if you didn't make the squad they will ask you for your playbook. or even the first season the one Marvin was in, when they cut someone they called him into the coaches office and the coach himself did the dirty work face to face. thats a bit classier i think.

[quote][b]WillAnderson79[/b] Lippincot is hard man! Wow! When they cut Jevon Langford one year they took security. Lippincot was afraid of him!lol[/quote]

:24:

[quote name='ArmyBengal' date='13 August 2009 - 11:17 AM' timestamp='1250176648' post='790447']

[b]-Lippencot segment very awkward; not my organization but KC Chiefs method seems superior, tell the dude why, tell him what he's got to work on, tell him if he's got a shot with another team etc...[/b]
-I think Katie deliberately avoided using Andre's name

[/quote]

We have no idea what was said after Lippincot kicked the camera guy out. He may have said all of that stuff.

Archived