UPDATE: Richie Incognito signs with the Dolphins

[b][url="http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_football_dolphins/2010/03/miami-dolphins-to-host-richie-incognito.html"][size="5"][color="#000000"]Miami Dolphins to host Richie Incognito [/color][/size][/url][/b]
[size="2"]by: [/size][url="http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_football_dolphins/author/mike-berardino/"][size="2"][color="#000000"]Mike Berardino[/color][/size][/url] March 14th, 2010

The Miami Dolphins tried to claim Richie Incognito off waivers in mid-December. Only a two-game edge in the standings on the Buffalo Bills kept the Dolphins from getting their man.

So it should come as little surprise that the Dolphins will host Incognito, an unrestricted free agent guard after he wasn't tendered a contract by the Bills, on an official visit this week.

[size="2"][b]Incognito arrives Monday, according to a league source, but the Bengals and Colts also have expressed solid interest.[/b][/size]

Incognito would be brought in to challenge Donald Thomas and Nate Garner for the starting job at right guard.

Incognito, 26, has become somewhat infamous around the NFL for his reputation as a wild man, both on the field and off. A former third-round pick in 2005, Incognito withdrew from Nebraska in 2004 after being suspended for a variety of misdeeds, including a misdemeanor assault charge stemming from his actions at a party.

He also briefly enrolled at Oregon, where he was dismissed by head coach Mike Bellotti for failing to meet certain conditions.

Upon arrival in the pros, it didn't take Incognito long to earn a reputation for nastiness. Last season he was voted the NFL's dirtiest player in a Sporting News poll of 99 players; a similar poll in Sports Illustrated named him the seventh-dirtiest player in the league.

"You can call me what you want," Incognito told the Buffalo News in December. "I'm a hard-nosed football player. I bring my 'A' game every Sunday."

Incognito has made 47 NFL starts, but the lowly Rams dismissed him late last season after he had a run-in with head coach Steve Spagnuolo during a game against the Titans. In that same game, Incognito received a pair of personal foul penalties, both for head-butting an opponent.

He was fined $50,000 by the league after that game and threatened with a possible suspension should he continue to commit such infractions. He has been fined at least $97,500 for on-field incidents so far in his brief NFL career.

Incognito is 6-3, 324 and very talented. He spent the bulk of his rookie year on injured reserve after suffering a major knee injury at the NFL Scouting Combine in 2005, but he started 16 games at three different positions for the Rams in 2006.

The following season he missed the final 12 games following surgery to repair a dislocated right kneecap, but he was back in the starting lineup by the start of 2008 and held down that job until the Rams finally had enough last December.

Talent isn't the issue with Incognito. The only thing holding him back, it seems, is his temper.

"There is the 90 to 95 percent of Richie that is outstanding," Rams GM Billy Devaney said last season. "It's the other 5 or 10 when the dark Richie kicks in and it becomes a problem."

Obviously, if the Dolphins are making a second run at this guy, they believe they can control "Dark Richie."

It should be interesting when Incognito meets newly hired Dolphins director of player development Kaleb Thornhill, a former linebacker at Michigan State from 2004-07. It was at the Alamo Bowl in December 2003 that Incognito, playing for Nebraska against Michigan State, was accused of spitting in the face of not one but two Spartans.

Thornhill no doubt knows the story.

It should help that Dolphins coach Tony Sparano likes his offensive linemen a little nasty. Center Jake Grove, for instance, delights in sitting on opposing defensive tackles after he pulls their heads into the ground, a move teammate Channing Crowder dubbed "The Grove."

Grove is one of Sparano's favorites.

Late last season, Sparano noted what a "blast" it is to watch veteran Titans center Kevin Mawae on film as he executes all manner of veteran moves and borderline-dirty tricks.

Of course, Mawae has always found a way to channel his emotions and stay on the good side of officials just enough to become a respected 16-year vet. Incognito, five years into a controversial NFL career, is still figuring that part out.

So, how do you feel about the Dolphins bringing in Incognito, who has been anything but so far in his football life? Do you like the idea of more competition for Thomas and Garner or could that just hold them back?

[url="http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_football_dolphins/2010/03/miami-dolphins-to-host-richie-incognito.html"]http://blogs.sun-sen...-incognito.html[/url]

Isn't Mawae 38? And he's pretty much only a Center?

I like just sticking with Cook at C and I doubt Mawae is looking to learn a new position at his age.

Incognito can play both G and C and is still pretty young. He's got some talent but is a huge weirdo. If the price is right, I'd give him a shot and throw him into the mix with Luigs, Livings, Mathis, etc. as a candidate for starting G or backup C/G. At this point in his career, Incognito's more of a backup/potential starter than a surefire starter I would think.

I have always liked Incognito's ability, but he is definitely a loose on-field cannon with anger issues.With his penchant for committing personal fouls and unsportsmanlike conduct, I really wonder how a possible acquisition of Incognito could be reconciled with Marvin Lewis's mantra against stupid and avoidable penalties.With that said,purely in terms of his ability and versatility, Incognito could help this team in the interior line.

Kevin Mawae is ancient. I'd only take him out of desperation, like in 2004 when they signed 38 year old Jerry Fontenot after Rich Braham and Larry Moore were injured.

Richie Incognito would seem to be tailor made for the Bengals. His reputation for dirty play and personal foul penalties is well known. I wouldn't be against it, but I'm not sure he's a major upgrade over what we have at OG.

[quote name='Inigo Montoya' date='14 March 2010 - 04:36 PM' timestamp='1268598978' post='870494']
Kevin Mawae is ancient. I'd only take him out of desperation, like in 2004 when they signed 38 year old Jerry Fontenot after Rich Braham and Larry Moore were injured.

Richie Incognito would seem to be tailor made for the Bengals. His reputation for dirty play and personal foul penalties is well known. I wouldn't be against it, but I'm not sure he's a major upgrade over what we have at OG.
[/quote]

Agree with all of this. As long as Incognito isn't asking for starters money, then he'd be a nice addition. Reminds me a little of Matt Jones. Give him league minimum or something close to it for a 1 year deal. If he pans out, great, you've got a talented guy who can contribute. If he doesn't, no harm really as you can drop him without taking much of a hit and you aren't necessarily counting on him.

I bet he ends up on Miami though.

Haha yeah right.. I unfortunately have the honor of having to watch too many Rams games, which probably get aired only 2nd to The Titans here in Nashville. Incognito is a sack of shit, who constantly fucks up his team with his uncontrollable attitude problems - fighting with opponents, teammates and coaches alike. The Rams dumped his stupid ass after their game here last season because they were fed up with his horseshit - and his teammates were applauding seeing him go. There must have been an extra 45 minutes of TV time in that game just dealing with his BS..
Mawae on the other hand, even at his age is a top C, team-leader and instantly would beat out Bitchy Incognito on the depth chart..
Just a matter of money and need - and we don't need that fucknut.

[quote name='BENGALS666' date='14 March 2010 - 06:58 PM' timestamp='1268607514' post='870526']
Haha yeah right.. I unfortunately have the honor of having to watch too many Rams games, which probably get aired only 2nd to The Titans here in Nashville. Incognito is a sack of shit, who constantly fucks up his team with his uncontrollable attitude problems - fighting with opponents, teammates and coaches alike. The Rams dumped his stupid ass after their game here last season because they were fed up with his horseshit - and his teammates were applauding seeing him go. There must have been an extra 45 minutes of TV time in that game just dealing with his BS..
Mawae on the other hand, even at his age is a top C, team-leader and instantly would beat out Bitchy Incognito on the depth chart..
Just a matter of money and need - and we don't need that fucknut.
[/quote]

...this.

[b][size="5"]Lineman Incognito, the NFL's 'dirtiest player,' to visit Dolphins[/size][/b]

[b][size="4"]Oft-fined free agent guard could compete for a starting job[/size]

[/b]By Mike Berardino, Sun Sentinel [b]5:18 p.m. EDT, March 14, 2010[/b]

[size="2"]Richie Incognito, voted by his peers as the NFL's dirtiest player last season, will make a free-agent visit to the Miami Dolphins on Monday, a league source said.

The Cincinnati Bengals and Indianapolis Colts also are after the controversial offensive guard, the source said, but he will make his first visit to South Florida in hopes of signing here.

Incognito, 26, nearly joined the Dolphins in December, but they lost out on their waiver claim to the Buffalo Bills, who were lower in the standings.

Fined nearly six figures for various on-field incidents so far in his brief NFL career, Incognito is a former third-round draft pick of the St. Louis Rams. He has made 47 career NFL starts, including three to close out last season in Buffalo, but the Rams dismissed him after he had a run-in with coach Steve Spagnuolo during a Dec. 13 game against the Titans.

Incognito received a pair of personal foul penalties in that game, both for head-butting an opponent. He was fined $50,000 by the league and threatened with a possible suspension.

Incognito, who would challenge Donald Thomas and Nate Garner for the starting job at right guard, is an unrestricted free agent after the Bills opted not to tender him a 2010 contract. He earned just over $1 million last season.

A native of New Jersey who grew up in the Phoenix area, Incognito withdrew from Nebraska in 2004 after being suspended for a variety of misdeeds, including a misdemeanor assault charge. He also briefly enrolled at Oregon, where he was dismissed for failing to meet certain team conditions.

Upon his arrival in the pros, it didn't take Incognito long to earn a reputation for nastiness. Last season he was voted the NFL's dirtiest player in a Sporting News poll of 99 players; a similar poll in Sports Illustrated named him the seventh-dirtiest player in the league.

"You can call me what you want," Incognito told the Buffalo News in December. "I'm a hard-nosed football player. I bring my 'A' game every Sunday."

Incognito is 6 feet 3 and 324 pounds. He spent the bulk of his rookie year on injured reserve after suffering a major knee injury at the NFL Scouting Combine in 2005, and he missed the final 12 games in 2007 following surgery to repair a dislocated right kneecap.

Talent isn't the issue with Incognito. The only thing holding him back, it seems, is his temper.

"There is the 90 to 95 percent of Richie that is outstanding," Rams GM Billy Devaney said last season. "It's the other 5 or 10 [percent] when the dark Richie kicks in and it becomes a problem."

Mike Berardino can be reached at [email="mberardino@SunSentinel.com"]mberardino@SunSentinel.com[/email] and read regularly on the Dolphins blog at SunSentinel.com/dolphins [/size]

[url="http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-dolphins-incognito-visit-0315-20100314,0,398645.story"]http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-dolphins-incognito-visit-0315-20100314,0,398645.story[/url]

Cracks me up that a guy with his last name has such a high profile, as a dirty player and A-1 asshole. He's a really athletic guy, good football player when he's not causing penalties or fighting with someone - on or off the field - and that's been his legacy all the way back to Nebraska.

He's a distraction that this team doesn't need, IMO. Pass.

[quote name='Jeb' date='14 March 2010 - 08:38 PM' timestamp='1268617125' post='870568']
I don't want our O-line to have any penalties this year, ...pass.
[/quote]

Exactly what I was thinking. Our O-Line commits enough penalties without Incognito.

Still the guy is talented and would be a good fit for the AFCN trenches. I would be Ok with the signing...

I can just see him getting a huge unnecessary roughness penalty on a key drive. Pass.

I think everyone knows people like that. Someone who just cannot control themselves no matter how much their lack of self-control is ruining their life, career, relationship, whatever. In my experience the vast majority of them don't change, that's just how they're wired. When they get heated they just can't contain their emotions.

I don't mind giving guys second chances if they look like they have turned themselves around, but Icognito doesn't seem to get it.

The last thing we need is MORE drive-killing penalties.

I am hoping this is just a bargaining ploy to help sign Bobbie.

We picked whatshisface O'Dwyer that helped Dillon break the single game rushing record. This guy sort of reminds me of him. However, he reminds me more of Chris Griffin.

[img]http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/8798/incognitomedium1.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/1787/fguy2006chrisf1.jpg[/img]

You decide.

[quote]The Bengals are hosting free agent G/C Richie Incognito on Monday.

Incognito has a trip to Miami lined up for Tuesday. In Cincinnati, Incognito could be an option to succeed 33-year-old free agent RG Bobbie Williams.[/quote]

Incognito, who would challenge Donald Thomas and Nate Garner for the starting job at right guard, is an unrestricted free agent after the Bills opted not to tender him a 2010 contract. He earned just over $1 million last season.

Sounds like you could get a good deal $$$$$ wise with this guy too.... troubled player - cheap - MIKE's kinda guy!!!!!!

[b][size="5"]Source: Incognito visiting Bengals, then Dolphins[/size][/b]
Veteran lineman taking trips
Aaron Wilson

March 15, 2010, 12:25 PM EST

Veteran free agent offensive lineman Richie Incognito is visiting the Cincinnati Bengals today, according to a league source.

Per our source, Incognito is scheduled to visit the Miami Dolphins on Tuesday following his meeting with Bengals team officials.

Incognito finished last season with the Buffalo Bills after being cut by the St. Louis Rams after being fined for head-butting.

[url="http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Source-Incognito-visiting-Bengals-then-Dolphins.html"]http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Source-Incognito-visiting-Bengals-then-Dolphins.html[/url]

Archived