Gresham signed!

[quote name='Jeb' date='30 July 2010 - 09:02 AM' timestamp='1280498543' post='900860']
...that's because Mike Brown (rightly) views the player as worth less money as time passes and training camp wears on. He is worth less at that point. He becomes a future project and not able to help the team much that season.

The player doesn't realize at the time that the few extra bucks he is making by holding out is hurting him in perception around the league. The inevitable articles come out at the end of that season asking the same old and tired question, ..."is the guy a bust?"
[/quote]

Jeb, again, there are 22 players and teams in the same position as Gresham
and the Bengals. Make that 21 now that GB signed their guy just now.

The Bengals are to blame as much as anyone for not getting their picks signed.
They wait for the slot and sometimes, don't want to abide by the slot.

And Mike Brown didn't have that arguement until yesterday. Now Gresham is slotted.
Meaning there is a ceiling and a floor. I don't think Gresham's season is lost.
I don't think project and bust should even be mentioned at this point and time.
I look for Gresham to be signed and in camp by tomorrow.

[quote name='oldschooler' date='30 July 2010 - 10:22 AM' timestamp='1280499759' post='900868']
Jeb, again, there are 22 players and teams in the same position as Gresham
and the Bengals. Make that 21 now that GB signed their guy just now.

The Bengals are to blame as much as anyone for not getting their picks signed.
They wait for the slot and sometimes, don't want to abide by the slot.

And Mike Brown didn't have that arguement until yesterday. Now Gresham is slotted.
Meaning there is a ceiling and a floor. I don't think Gresham's season is lost.
I don't think project and bust should even be mentioned at this point and time.
I look for Gresham to be signed and in camp by tomorrow.
[/quote]

I hope you're right.

I've always said, ...the mega money is to be had in the 2nd contract.

No wonder Smith held out for so long, ...he doesn't believe he'll see a mega size 2nd contract.

[quote name='oldschooler' date='30 July 2010 - 08:04 AM' timestamp='1280495068' post='900842']
Texans Sign 20th Overall Pick Kareem Jackson settting the ceiling for Gresham deal.

Now Gresham is slotted.
[/quote]

I don't know wtf I was thinking.

The 2 picks in front of Gresham have signed.
But #22, Demaryius Thomas is still unsigned.
So Gresham isn't slotted yet.

[quote name='oldschooler' date='30 July 2010 - 11:13 AM' timestamp='1280502808' post='900893']

[/quote]

lol I was wondering about that post but didn't want to start an argument over it. :P

Saints also signed Robinson at #32 and Redskins at #4 with Williams. See a lot of dominoes falling today.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='30 July 2010 - 10:16 AM' timestamp='1280503009' post='900900']
lol I was wondering about that post but didn't want to start an argument over it. :P
[/quote]

I was wrong and when I realized, I pointed it out.

If you had pointed it out, I would have said wtf was I thinking and called you an a-hole.
No arguing though. Can't argue when you are totally wrong. Although, some here like
to think you can. Not me though. Would never do something like that.

Are you questioning me? What? Say it again I dare ya.

:on_the_quiet:

First-round pick Jermaine Gresham has missed the first two practices and his agent and the Bengals don’t appear to be close to a deal even though the two picks ahead of him at No. 21 are in. And it appears that agent Ben Dogra isn’t talking to the media about it, either.

Possible snafus? Dogra and his agency CAA have a raft of first-round picks and they may be trying to get one of their other guys signed first. Or, Tim Tebow, at No. 25, got some serious quarterback incentives that could balloon it to $33 million and that may be a factor.

Offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowski said earlier this week that missing the entire first week of training camp is crushing because it is so heavy in review and installation…

[url="http://blogs.bengals.com/2010/07/30/early-friday-stuff/"]http://blogs.bengals.com/2010/07/30/early-friday-stuff/[/url]

Jeez, just get the thing done. We play NE and Baltimore to open up the season in 6 weeks. Those are huge games that may determine whether this team makes the playoffs or not. We can't have a guy who is supposed to start and make an impact miss half of training camp.

[quote name='oldschooler' date='30 July 2010 - 11:25 AM' timestamp='1280503514' post='900908']
First-round pick Jermaine Gresham has missed the first two practices and his agent and the Bengals don’t appear to be close to a deal even though the two picks ahead of him at No. 21 are in. And it appears that agent Ben Dogra isn’t talking to the media about it, either.

Possible snafus? Dogra and his agency CAA have a raft of first-round picks and they may be trying to get one of their other guys signed first. Or, Tim Tebow, at No. 25, got some serious quarterback incentives that could balloon it to $33 million and that may be a factor.

Offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowski said earlier this week that missing the entire first week of training camp is crushing because it is so heavy in review and installation…

[url="http://blogs.bengals.com/2010/07/30/early-friday-stuff/"]http://blogs.bengals.com/2010/07/30/early-friday-stuff/[/url]
[/quote]

I agree with this response off that article ...

[quote]
By theredbengal on Jul 30, 2010 | Reply

I think being in a 3 receiver set is the best time to hand it off. 2005 Bengal offense ran a ton of 3 WR sets, and Rudi had his best year running the ball. The trio of Chad,TO, and Bryant will demand a nickel corner. There is no way getting around that. That means 1 less linebacker to deal with, which means Ced would have an easier time grabbing 5 or 6 yards on a run. The dynamic is too good to be true.

I forsee a normal set of 3 wide, Kelly as the TE/H back (maybe Gresham eventually), and Ced, running the no huddle early in games. Or if we want to be pass happy, do the 3 WRs, Gresham, and Leonard. Put some quick points on the board early in games, and then pull a page from the patented Steeler playbook of old and run the ball down the defense’s throat.
[/quote]

[quote name='oldschooler' date='30 July 2010 - 11:13 AM' timestamp='1280502808' post='900893']

[/quote]

I was going to correct you, but I was not sure if you knew that Thomas had signed and I had not seen it yet...

It's bad for Gresham's development to miss the first days of practice but I'd expect a deal to be done by the end of the weekend. The Bengals are spending so much less than the other teams in the division that there's no reason to be stingy with a guy you expect to be a starter. I just hope Reggie Kelly isn't playing much in preseason. At this point I'm not too worried about Gresham.

You know one thing i love about this, is that this could be the 1st time where our 1st round draft pick doesn't really need to be signed. I mean yes he needs to be signed i want him in camp he's going to be a monster, but he's no carson palmer/akili smith(puke) type player, where he's our franchise savior, we're doomed without this guy in a bengals uniform.

He really is just adding depth right now to a position that's has kelly and coffman healthy. He will eventually be a total upgrade to those 2, but he also isn't filling in a glaring need right now either. Kind of nice having what i like to call a "patrio/colts comfort" for once.

[quote name='Dan_Bengals_FL' date='30 July 2010 - 10:52 AM' timestamp='1280501559' post='900878']
Even before the slotting they were not THAT far off.

I expect something to get worked out soon now from what I hear.
[/quote]

Good, getting the "saftey valve" in camp soon is important.

[quote name='turningpoint' date='30 July 2010 - 01:53 PM' timestamp='1280512427' post='900986']
You know one thing i love about this, is that this could be the 1st time where our 1st round draft pick doesn't really need to be signed. I mean yes he needs to be signed i want him in camp he's going to be a monster, but he's no carson palmer/akili smith(puke) type player, where he's our franchise savior, we're doomed without this guy in a bengals uniform.

He really is just adding depth right now to a position that's has kelly and coffman healthy. He will eventually be a total upgrade to those 2, but he also isn't filling in a glaring need right now either. Kind of nice having what i like to call a "patrio/colts comfort" for once.
[/quote]

I gotta disagree with you here. Kelly is 33 and coming off a major knee injury. He was never much of a receiving threat even when younger and faster. Gresham is heads and shoulders above him as a receiving threat. Coffman is a tall, skinny guy who is never going to have the physical build to be an above average blocker. Gresham should be much better than him in that department immediately.

I see Gresham as the only guy on our roster with the ability to block and catch at a high level and I think he'll provide an immediate upgrade. As long as he signs in the next few days, I think the guy is close to a lock to be the game 1 starter.

There's a reason Marvin said he's the best TE prospect he's seen in 8 years....

[quote name='happyrid' date='30 July 2010 - 04:40 PM' timestamp='1280522418' post='901046']
I gotta disagree with you here. Kelly is 33 and coming off a major knee injury. He was never much of a receiving threat even when younger and faster. Gresham is heads and shoulders above him as a receiving threat. Coffman is a tall, skinny guy who is never going to have the physical build to be an above average blocker. Gresham should be much better than him in that department immediately.

I see Gresham as the only guy on our roster with the ability to block and catch at a high level and I think he'll provide an immediate upgrade. As long as he signs in the next few days, I think the guy is close to a lock to be the game 1 starter.

[b]There's a reason Marvin said he's the best TE prospect he's seen in 8 years....[/b]
[/quote]

I cringe every time I see that line. I wish management would wait till the guy signs before hyping the player.

Smith received hyped praise from management last year, ...nuff said!

[quote name='Jeb' date='30 July 2010 - 04:42 PM' timestamp='1280522569' post='901047']<br />I cringe every time I see that line.  I wish management would wait till the guy signs before hyping the player.<br /><br />Smith received hyped praise from management last year, ...nuff said!<br />[/quote]<br /><br /><br />

Last year was worse. Last year we hyped smith and cut jones before signing him.

[quote name='mongo' date='30 July 2010 - 04:34 PM' timestamp='1280522088' post='901044']
Who is Gresham's agent?
[/quote]
Are you serious?

If you are, see Oldschoolers post just above here....#45. His name is Ben Dogra and he's got lots of famous clients and several draft picks from this year.

[b][url="http://twitter.com/brian_mcintyre"][color="#0a0501"]brian_mcintyre[/color][/url][/b] [url=""] [/url] With Linval Joseph agreeing to terms, every healthy player in rounds 2-7 has signed or agreed to terms. 15 unsigned players remain
[url="http://twitter.com/brian_mcintyre/status/20007172252"]less than 10 seconds ago[/url] via [url="http://www.tweetdeck.com/"]TweetDeck[/url]

Archived