Terrell Owens rips unimaginative play-calling

[size="5"][b]Terrell Owens tees off after latest Bengals' loss[/b]
[/size]
[size="4"][b]Receiver rips unimaginative play-calling[/b]
[/size]By Kevin Goheen • Enquirer contributor • December 5, 2010

Bengals wide receiver Terrell Owens came to Cincinnati with a reputation for being one of the NFL's most outspoken players.

He was outspoken Sunday following the team's ninth consecutive loss, a 34-30 defeat against New Orleans at Paul Brown Stadium.

Owens voiced his frustration over the offensive inconsistencies that have plagued the Bengals throughout the season and what he believes is a lack of aggressiveness in the play-calling.

"I just think that, coming here this year, with the opportunities that presented themselves with myself and Chad (Ochocinco), the progression of Jordan Shipley and Gresh (Jermaine Gresham), we could be a little more aggressive," said Owens. "That's what I've thrived on all my career. There are times when I'm not the No. 1 option, but considering the things that I've done this year, I present matchup problems."

Owens was targeted nine times and caught six passes for 47 yards and one touchdown, a 5-yard score from Carson Palmer in the third quarter that cut the Bengals' deficit to 20-12 Sunday. He also drew a 45-yard pass interference penalty against Saints cornerback Tracy Porter in the second quarter.

The 15-year veteran has 71 catches for 961 yards and nine touchdowns this season. He has 153 career touchdowns, which is tied with Randy Moss of Tennessee for tops among active players.

He is also on the verge of two other career milestones; Owens needs 88 more receiving yards to become just the second player (Jerry Rice) to reach 16,000 yards and he is 39 yards away from a 10th 1,000-yard season. Only Rice and Moss have accomplished that feat.

"It's frustrating when you feel like there are opportunities that are left out on the field and they aren't being taken advantage of," said Owens. "Everybody's frustrated but I feel like I can be part of the solution as well. Go back and watch the film. I can play this game. There ain't nobody I feel can stop me when I'm out there. That's just confidence; it's not arrogance.

(Click the link for the entire article)

[url="http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20101205/SPT02/12060320/1062/SPT/T-O-tees-off-on-play-calling"]http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20101205/SPT02/12060320/1062/SPT/T-O-tees-off-on-play-calling[/url]

[b]This team seems to go into lulls, or periods where nothing happens on offense. How do you try to avoid those types of things?[/b]

"I don't know. It starts in practice, I guess. Trust me — every week, guys are working hard. It's not a lack of effort on anybody's part. I don't know if we're getting outcoached, or what the deal is. At this point, I'm sitting here trying to fish for answers, but I don't have any answers for you. Again, this is beginning to get old for me. I feel like I'm here for a reason — to make plays. I think there are opportunities that I could have (taken advantage of), but for whatever reason, we just aren't getting it done. I'm just trying to do my part. I know there are 11 guys on offense and everybody's working hard. In order to win as an offensive unit, everybody has to do their parts, and I'm just trying to do my part."

[b]You made a couple of references to running the plays that were called. Is that part of the frustration?[/b]

"I just think that, coming here this year, with the opportunities that presented themselves with myself and Chad, the progression of Jordan Shipley and Gresh (Jermaine Gresham), we could be a little bit more aggressive. That's what I've thrived on all my career. There are times where I'm not the No. 1 option, but considering the things that I've done this year, I present matchup problems. That's just the confidence that boils inside of me. I know there are times that I know I can beat guys, but that's why they brought me here. I can exploit whoever is in front of me. You mentioned 'press': There are guys who press me, and I can beat that. We've talked about having confidence in one another, but you have to have confidence in somebody who has played this game for 15 years. I know how to play the game. It's frustrating when you feel like there are opportunities that are left out on the field and they aren't being taken advantage of. It doesn't matter; I don't care if I'm 46 or 47, dude. I ball when I'm out there. All I want are opportunities. It's getting frustrating because, yeah, we're two-and-whatever, and there are opportunities out there. Take advantage of the situation. Everybody's frustrated, but I feel like I can be part of the solution as well. Go back and watch the film. I can play this game. There ain't nobody I feel can stop me when I'm out there. That's just confidence; it's not arrogance. Everybody can listen to what I say and say that I'm arrogant, and that I'm trying to create some controversy or distraction. It's not a distraction. The film doesn't lie — watch it. I'm not a scrub, by any means. The only way you can stop me is to play cover- two — play somebody over the top — and they did that sometimes. But when there were opportunities one-on-one, I can exploit those matchups."

[b]When you see the Saints have such success with big plays, is that part of what you are referring to?[/b]

"Assess it. That's the difference in their approach on offense, and that's the difference in our approach on offense. You've just got to make those adjustments and be aggressive with it."

[url="http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2010/12/05/t-o-s-frustration-mounting/"]http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2010/12/05/t-o-s-frustration-mounting/[/url]

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' timestamp='1291644844' post='948333']
Maybe the overall positive that comes from this and TO being outspoken is that it "forces" Brat to take a walk...
[/quote]

While Brat may walk, it won't be because of TO. If they want to keep Brat, they will just say he is causing trouble again.

the only difference between the saints and bengals is the offense approach eh?

i watched brees bake a cake in the pocket yesterday...

i watched chad and gresham drop passes,

and the offense put up 30 points, 30 points should win you about 12-13 games a year in the nfl...

only 5 teams scored more than the bengals did yesterday....

for years TO has been a shit stirring asshat, bitching about every team he has ever been on, bitched about the QB the palycalling everything.. this is the reason many many didnt want to bring him here...

and all the sudden its gospel and he is an enlightened genius and offensive guru.

makes sense.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' timestamp='1291644844' post='948333']
Maybe the overall positive that comes from this and TO being outspoken is that it "forces" Brat to take a walk...
[/quote]

what the fuck kind of mickey mouse billion dollar company owner gives two fucks what TO thinks?

[quote name='Fulcher_33' timestamp='1291645438' post='948337']
I don't know if I'd use the word "rip" to describe what he was saying about the offense. Shit stirrer.
MULLY
[/quote]

but it fits their MO, "OMG TO SAID SOMETHING THAT COULD BE CONSTRUED TO SUPPORT SOME DUMB SHIT I THINK FOR NO REASON!!!!111"

[quote name='ccartman2' timestamp='1291652699' post='948380']
While Brat may walk, it won't be because of TO. [b] If they want to keep Brat,[/b] they will just say he is causing trouble again.
[/quote]

if?

really? if?

the two year contract extension after last year wasnt a good enough sign?

the 3 contract extensions the guy has got, everytime while dumbass fans were bitching?

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1291653101' post='948384']

and the offense put up 30 points, 30 points should win you about 12-13 games a year in the nfl...

for years TO has been a shit stirring asshat, bitching about every team he has ever been on, bitched about the QB the palycalling everything.. this is the reason many many didnt want to bring him here...

and all the sudden its gospel and he is an enlightened genius and offensive guru.

makes sense.
[/quote]

Bratkowski is on record as saying he takes what the Defense gives him.
Offensive means to go on the attack. Not take what someone gives you.
TO is saying that the play calling needs to be more agressive. It needs
to attack. Not react. It needs to be more geared to players strengths. If the O-line
sucks ass, don't call a fucking running play up the gut on 4th and 1.
If the O-line sucks at pass blocking, run more screens and slants.
Don't call plays like you have the 2005 roster at your disposal.
Call plays like you have the 2010 roster at your disposal.

I just wonder what the hell Brat has to do for you to say enough?
That time has already came for me.

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1291653461' post='948388']
to attack. Not react. It needs to more to players strengths. If the O-line

[/quote]

[img]http://www.bestweekever.tv/bwe/images/2009/12/Michelle-Clappins-GIF.gif[/img]

to attack. Not react. It needs to be more geared to players strengths. If the O-line

[/quote]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v51/Nokari/Amen-Brother.jpg[/IMG]

to attack. Not react. It needs to more to players strengths. If the O-line

[/quote]

he does, why did we swtich to mostly 3 step drops, we run TONS of slants and TONS of screens...

you just want to bitch, and cant accept that they just dont have goo enough players to succeed consistently on either side of the ball.

last year we knew there was shit blocking, we went power line and shoved the ball down their throat, passed all we could out of the powerline, and orchestrated several LOOOONG last minute drives to win games... with the horseshit players on this team last year, last year was fucking magic,

this year, we are top 10 in dropped passes, we are also top 10 in QB hits... when the line can magically manage to actually block, palmer is good, the offense scores lots of points, you know, like 30 yesterday...

its pretty tough to have much success with your QB being hit constantly, your WR's dropping passes, that doesnt even count the fucked up routes, the routes they just flat gave up on figuring they werent getting the ball,..

so how about that run game? just bad run plays eh? has nothing to do with benson getting hit behind the like 40% of his carries?

none of that is playcalling.... absolutely none of it..its flat out poor play, we ahve one of the worst offensive lines in the entire NFL, and we have for going on 3 years now.

almost every pass shipley has caught has been a short cross route or a slant, runningbacks have caught 48 passes this year, TE's have caught 50, and gresham has most of all rookies,.. how is that not palying to the 2010 roster?

90% of the passes are within 15 yards of the LOS.....

the offense is completely geared towards the team we have... as much success as TO has had, he has dropped passes, stopped on routes, fucked up routes, and still #2-3in the entire NFL in yards..

why exactly is zimmer getting a pass from everyone? the defense if fucking pathetic, why does he suck al lthe sudden?

because fans were sucking his cock like he was the 2nd coming of christ last year and would feel stupid turning a complete 180 in a single offseason...

the fact of the matter is.. coordinators need good coaches and good palyers to succeed.

there isnt an OC or a DC ON THE FUCKING PLANET

that can take totally shitty players and make them awesome...

bob doesnt coach WR, bob doesnt coach OL, bob doesnt coach TE, RB, or anything else.... same as mike doesnt coach MLB, OLB, or safety, he doesnt coach DL, he doesnt coach safety...

people give coordinators far far far too much blame.. and far far far farrrrr too much credit....

you need good palyers and you need good coaches if you want to develop young talent.

if BOB sucks and needs to go.. mike zimmer sucks and needs to go too..... its pretty simple... his unit has performed far far far worse than the offense....

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1291654431' post='948394']
he does, why did we swtich to mostly 3 step drops, we run TONS of slants and TONS of screens...

you just want to bitch, and cant accept that they just dont have goo enough players to succeed consistently on either side of the ball.

last year we knew there was shit blocking, we went power line and shoved the ball down their throat, passed all we could out of the powerline, and orchestrated several LOOOONG last minute drives to win games... with the horseshit players on this team last year, last year was fucking magic,

this year, we are top 10 in dropped passes, we are also top 10 in QB hits... when the line can magically manage to actually block, palmer is good, the offense scores lots of points, you know, like 30 yesterday...

its pretty tough to have much success with your QB being hit constantly, your WR's dropping passes, that doesnt even count the fucked up routes, the routes they just flat gave up on figuring they werent getting the ball,..

so how about that run game? just bad run plays eh? has nothing to do with benson getting hit behind the like 40% of his carries?

none of that is playcalling.... absolutely none of it..its flat out poor play, we ahve one of the worst offensive lines in the entire NFL, and we have for going on 3 years now.

almost every pass shipley has caught has been a short cross route or a slant, runningbacks have caught 48 passes this year, TE's have caught 50, and gresham has most of all rookies,.. how is that not palying to the 2010 roster?

the offense is completely geared towards the team we have... as much success as TO has had, he has dropped passes, stopped on routes, fucked up routes, and still #2-3in the entire NFL in yards..

why exactly is zimmer getting a pass from everyone? the defense if fucking pathetic, why does he suck al lthe sudden?

because fans were sucking his cock like he was the 2nd coming of christ last year and would feel stupid turning a complete 180 in a single offseason...

the fact of the matter is.. coordinators need good coaches and good palyers to succeed.

bob doesnt coach WR, bob doesnt coach OL, bob doesnt coach TE, RB, or anything else.... same as mike doesnt coach MLB, OLB, or safety, he doesnt coach DL, he doesnt coach safety...

people give coordinators far far far too much blame.. and far far far farrrrr too much credit....

you need good palyers and you need good coaches if you want to develop young talent.

if BOB sucks and needs to go.. mike zimmer sucks and needs to go too..... its pretty simple... his unit has performed far far far worse than the offense....
[/quote]

TL;DR Version - Brat Sucks.

The way Go talks, I could be a coordinator. It clearly takes absolutely no real responsibility or talent.

And Zimmer should be on the hotseat as well. Although he's had way more injury issues than the offense.

No coach on a 2 and done team should feel safe. They are all failures with an undisciplined, poorly coached team. Minus STUPID coaching blunders, there's enough talent to beat the super bowl champs, So, there's enough talent to not be on a 9 game losing streak.

Carson had PLENTY of time to throw yesterday. Carson simple can't hit the deep route or medium sideline pass anymore without putting air under the ball. Almost everything is a 10 to 15 yard cross or slant. Kitna ball. We have the players to make it work as we showed yesterday. Unfortunatly, we lack the discipline and clock management to secure the victory. The defense sucking balls hurts too.

I think Brat called a pretty good game yesterday except the 4th and goal run to the left with Benson call. That was stupid.

[/quote]

No he doesn't. And he calls stupid ass plays in critical situations.

No I don't. I am just posting my educated opinion.

Funny we were supposed to have UPGRADED a division winning team.
Marvin said this was his MOST TALENTED team he has coached.

So if we upgraded talent, and it is the most talented, then who's feet
does this debacle lay at? Those talented players'? LOL

When you pass a lot (4th in pass attempts), you are going to have a lot of QB hits (9th) and dropped passes.
The Patriots have 2 players that are near the top in dropped passes. Yet, they are one of the best teams in the NFL.
The Jags and Bears have let their QB get hit more than Carson. Cutler has been sacked 45 times. (Carson 25 times)
Garrard 29 times. Both more than Carson. Yet, they have winning records. Also, Carson has been hit 2 more times
and sacked 8 less times than the Eagles QBs. Yet, the Eagles have one of the best Offenses (see later in this post) this season.

Carson is 16th in sacks this season. Yet, he is 4th in pass attempts. Yet, you think that is an indictment.

Also, Gresham was supposed to be drafted to stretch the field. He is ranked 3rd is receptions.
Yet he is ranked 33rd in ypc. Most TEs average about 12 ypc. Gresham is averaging 8 ypc.

And it was week 13 of the season. It is Bratkowski's JOB to make sure players aren't running the wrong routes
and fucking up like they are. A Offensive Coordinators job is to oversee the entire Offense. If it isn't performing
well, then it is HIS JOB to fix it.

Why is it when the Bengals produce, you use it as a way to show how awesome Bratkowski is.
Yet, when they don't produce, it is because of the players? You can't have it both ways.
And you are saying Bratkowski is only as good as his players.

Also let me add, the Chargers get rid of their Hall of Fame RB,
hasn't had their best WR and best O-lineman playing and
their Pro Bowl TE has been banged up. Yet they somehow
manage to be #2 in Offense at the moment.

The Eagles send their QB packing, get new WRs, get a new RB,
have a FA O-lineman not pan out, send a Pro Bowl O-lineman
packing and are ranked #1 in Offense.

The Giants send players packing, are extremely banged up, plug new players in and are
ranked #4 in Offense.

The Bengals were ranked 32nd in Offense is 2008.
24th in Offense last season. And 22nd this season.
3 years of suckage, and you want to blame everyone
but the dude that runs the suckage.

Shaking my damn head.

And if canning Zimmer means that Bratkowski is canned too,
then by all means. I think every coach on this staff should be
fearing for their job. I will not be heartbroken if they all are
replaced. I think good coaches could get more out of this team.
They sure as hell couldn't get less.

We could go offensive line 1-2-3 in the draft and there will still be an excuse for the offense. By the time they're "ready" Chad and TO will be gone so we'll be weak at receiver. Then we get some receivers and our defense won't ever bail us out or Carson is past his prime. Don't get me wrong, our offensive line is bad, but our offensive coaches are worse. Shoot, after Sims debacle yesterday... I don't know who's worse in regards to both offense and defense. No discipline at all.

Every team has the same chance as every other team to get better through the draft. They're drafting from the same pool of players. Can we just admit that we have a horrible coaching staff and it doesn't matter who we draft that they're still going to lose until we change the people coaching them?

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1291653312' post='948386']
what the fuck kind of mickey mouse billion dollar company owner gives two fucks what TO thinks?

but it fits their MO, "OMG TO SAID SOMETHING THAT COULD BE CONSTRUED TO SUPPORT SOME DUMB SHIT I THINK FOR NO REASON!!!!111"

if?

really? if?

the 3 contract extensions the guy has got, everytime while dumbass fans were bitching?
[/quote]

I didn't bitch at all (Have in the past). Fact is we will finish some where between 6-10 and 2-14. Our present Head Coach isn't under contract for next season and may wind up leaving. It is possible that a new Head Coach will want his own OC. Like it or not, you have to consider that as a possibility. Certainly the Oline is terrible and Carson pretty much has to learn as we went with TO, Shipley, & Gresham, plus Chad missing OTAs. Still when this is where your offense stands:

19th points per game
22nd yards per game
19th 3rd down %
21st TOP.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/byteam?group=Offense&cat=Total&conference=NFL&year=season_2010&sort=534&timeframe=

20th in Redzone scoring?

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/red-zone-scoring-pct

Not every potentially new head coach is going to accept that. Not saying what should happen, just what could if we wind up with a new head coach.

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1291653101' post='948384']

makes sense.
[/quote]

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1291653312' post='948386']

if?

really? if?

[/quote]

jesus... you are either related to the guy or have financial interest in keeping him as the Bengals OC...

That is the only way a clown would not only defend, but promote, the guy to stay!!!

your brat-love is growing to epic proportions...

[quote name='Montana Bengal' timestamp='1291660282' post='948417']
I'm pretty sure that if we lose Marvin, most likely the coach will come from within. That doesn't leave much 1. Brat 2. Zim 3. Alexander
[/quote]

I think it will be Zim or an outside. Mike Brown may be the one keeping Brat at OC, but even he knows all hell will break loose if he dare make Brat HC.

[/quote]

No Bengal coaches are ever to blame...OKayyyy... So... Who's fault is it that this team is built so shitty and performs so exceptionally craptastically?

I'd just like to know where blame lies. It seems to me, everyone one of your posts seems to defend someone who IS in control of aspects of the team, and rip select groups of players who didnt assign themselves as a group/individuals to play for this team. These rants run in neverending circles.

Where does blame fall? Who is in charge? Who makes decisions? Who signs/drafts/doesnt fire people? Who draws up plays? Who motivates? Who distributes the ball?

Who, in the Cincinnati Bengals organization, is responsible for this half assed, piss poor excuse of a an NFL football team? I'd like to know. Because you seem to blame everyone except those who hold the power to change Sundays in Cincinnati. Enlighten. Please. Enlighten.

Archived