Marvin Lewis: If Palmer comes back, he would be the starting QB

[size="5"][b]Marvin Lewis: If Palmer comes back, he would be the starting QB[/b]
[/size] Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on May 11, 2011, 1:03 PM EDT

Bengals coach Marvin Lewis has operated this offseason like [url="http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=2550"][b][color="#000000"]Carson Palmer[/color][/b][/url] has already retired. He echoed that stance in a conference call with fans on Wednesday, but acknowledged that there's another possible scenario.

"If Palmer comes back [url="http://twitter.com/#!/joereedy/status/68349514129485824"][color="#d81718"]he would be the starting QB[/color][/url] and we would groom Andy [Dalton] to be the QB of the future," Lewis said via Joe Reedy of the [i]Cincinnati Enquirer[/i].

(This is alternatively known as the [url="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/27/bengals-shopping-in-the-quarterback-aisle/"][color="#d81718"]Esiason/Klingler plan[/color][/url].)

That quote could be Lewis' way of sending a message to Palmer. It's interesting to note Lewis didn't entertain the possibility of dealing Palmer to another team.

"Carson feels like his time here is over. He feels like the best thing is to retire and spend time with family," Lewis said.

And if Palmer changes his mind, he can still be the starting quarterback in Cincinnati. Knowing Mike Brown's stubbornness, we still wouldn't rule it out.

[url="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/11/marvin-lewis-if-palmer-comes-back-he-would-be-the-starting-qb/"]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/11/marvin-lewis-if-palmer-comes-back-he-would-be-the-starting-qb/[/url]

[size="5"][b]Lewis: Palmer still could start[/b]

[b]Would ease transition for Dalton[/b]
[/size]
[b]10:01 PM, May. 11, 2011 |

[/b]Season-ticket holders who were expecting anything new from NFL commissioner Roger Goodell and Bengals coach Marvin Lewis didn't get much from Wednesday's hour-long conference call.

However after more than two months of publicly saying the team is moving on without Carson Palmer, Lewis did note that the door remains open for the quarterback to return, even with the selection of Andy Dalton in the second round of last month's NFL Draft. Palmer, a Bengals starter since 2004, has said he would retire if he's not traded.

"If Carson comes back he would be the starting quarterback and we would groom Andy to be the quarterback of the future," Lewis said.

Such a scenario happened in 1992, when the Bengals drafted quarterback David Klingler as successor to Boomer Esiason, who had demanded a trade. They dealt Esiason to the New York Jets before the 1993 season.

One player who doesn't think that would work with Palmer is running back Cedric Benson.

"To bring him back would be detrimental to the team," Benson said Tuesday on Sirius NFL Radio's "Late Hits" show. "If he's there and not happy he's not going to give us his best."

Lewis reiterated that Palmer is not available for trade, saying the Bengals would not entertain that notion publicly.

When asked by a season-ticket holder why he thought Palmer wanted out of Cincinnati, Lewis said: "I've talked with Carson a number of times and he feels like his time here is over. He feels like the best thing is to retire and spend time with family. The good thing for us is this decision was made in January. From that, we benefited."

During his half-hour conference call, Goodell continued to stress the league's message that the only way the NFL's labor dispute with players will be resolved is through negotiations, not litigation.

Mediated negotiating sessions will resume on Monday in Minneapolis, where the Bengals' Mike Brown will be one of four owners participating. The others are Carolina's Jerry Richardson, Pittsburgh's Dan Rooney and the New York Giants' John Mara.

(Click the link for the entire article)

[url="http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20110511/SPT02/105120342/Lewis-Palmer-still-could-start?odyssey=tab|topnews|text"]http://news.cincinna...ab|topnews|text[/url]|

It'll be interesting to see if this elicits a response from the Carson camp. There was hoopla leading up to the draft, but it didn't get him traded. I'd expect more posturing when trades can occur, but what happens now? A door is definitely being left open for him. Does he leave it open , or does he come out with some statement that snaps at even the hypothetical of a return?

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1305202052' post='992224']
File this under news that is not news. :)
[/quote]

It's not news, but it is an olive branch... Or at least a clarification from the man who's filed Carson as 'not going to be with the team.'

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1305204921' post='992233']
I find it interesting (and it may be spin) that Marvin has a number of times said that Carson is retiring to spend more time with his family, not because he's unhappy with the organization.
[/quote]

Yeah, but what's the percentage?

:ninja?:

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1305204921' post='992233']
I find it interesting (and it may be spin) that Marvin has a number of times said that Carson is retiring to spend more time with his family, not because he's unhappy with the organization.
[/quote]

I've been intrigued by that as well. None of the talk from the organization is about a trade from the Bengals. It's all about Carson either wanting to play football, or retiring to be with his family. It's not confrontational, but it really puts the organization's options on the table for Carson to choose.

[quote name='mongo' timestamp='1305201257' post='992220']
It'll be interesting to see if this elicits a response from the Carson camp. There was hoopla leading up to the draft, but it didn't get him traded. I'd expect more posturing when trades can occur, but what happens now? A door is definitely being left open for him. Does he leave it open , or does he come out with some statement that snaps at even the hypothetical of a return?
[/quote]

Yeah, here is his opportunity to quiet it all. But I would think that even if he doesn't respond just yet, it would be consistent with his silence throughout the offseason. There will no doubt be commentary from real estate agents and confidants..but he himself will not say a word.

This "door" will stay open. Once the pieces fall in place for a resumption of the season, he will simply show up when the bell rings, say all the right things, talk about winning championships, and go on like nothing has happened. He knows no trade will happen in 2011...but ala Norman, I would all but guarantee he has the quiet promise that there will be one in 2012.

Carson is an avg QB, Dalton can provide the same production that Carson potentially would have this year in the new offense IMO.

Time to move on.

Carson himself stated before last year that all the weapons were in place and it was on him now to produce........he failed.......miserably. And save all the "receivers didn't run the right routes" bullshit. He's just an avg QB as a result of the many variables that have come into play with him over teh past 8 yrs.

That's just reality.

[quote name='IKOTA' timestamp='1305209581' post='992253']
Carson is an avg QB, Dalton can provide the same production that Carson potentially would have this year in the new offense IMO.

Time to move on.

Carson himself stated before last year that all the weapons were in place and it was on him now to produce........he failed.......miserably. And save all the "receivers didn't run the right routes" bullshit. He's just an avg QB as a result of the many variables that have come into play with him over teh past 8 yrs.

That's just reality.
[/quote]

Average QB huh.

"Palmer ended up starting in all 16 of the Bengals regular season games, only missing one snap due to injury, which was determined as Palmer only getting the wind knocked out of him. He actually did not become totally comfortable with his repaired knee until week 9 against the Chargers when he threw for a career high of 440 yards. Despite his previous injury, he passed the 4,000 yard mark for the first time in his career, finishing the season with a franchise record 4,035 passing yards and 28 touchdowns, only 13 interceptions and 93.9 rating."

[quote name='BengalsOwn' timestamp='1305217812' post='992270']
Average QB huh.

"Palmer ended up starting in all 16 of the Bengals regular season games, only missing one snap due to injury, which was determined as Palmer only getting the wind knocked out of him. He actually did not become totally comfortable with his repaired knee until week 9 against the Chargers when he threw for a career high of 440 yards. Despite his previous injury, he passed the 4,000 yard mark for the first time in his career, finishing the season with a franchise record 4,035 passing yards and 28 touchdowns, only 13 interceptions and 93.9 rating."
[/quote]

what are you talking about.. 2005 or something...

last year was

3970 yards
26 tds
20 ints
82.4 rating

acording to ESPN

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=4459

[quote name='IKOTA' timestamp='1305209581' post='992253']

Time to move on.

That's just reality.
[/quote]

THAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANK YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOU! Its nice to see someone with a rational mind. He's just not that good. Aaron Rodgers gets killed. Roethlisberger gets killed. Many quarterbacks get sacked. Carson just can not play at their championship level. PERIOD!

[quote name='SouthPaw' timestamp='1305218566' post='992273']
Carson just can not play at their championship level. PERIOD!
[/quote]

Yet Mike Brown wants him as the starter of his franchise.

[quote name='fluhartz' timestamp='1305218252' post='992271']

last year was

3970 yards
26 tds
20 ints
82.4 rating

acording to ESPN

[/quote]

2006, just months after a devastating knee injury

[quote name='fluhartz' timestamp='1305218252' post='992271']

last year was

3970 yards
26 tds
20 ints
82.4 rating

acording to ESPN

[/quote]

Drew Brees last year was

4620 yards
33 tds
22 ints
90.9 rating

Not much of a difference between Brees and Palmer last season. You don't see people in New Orleans saying they'd be better off without him.

[quote name='BengalsOwn' timestamp='1305217812' post='992270']
Average QB huh.

[/quote]

2006 numbers right? Unfortunately for your argument, that was 5 yrs ago. Should we go and sign Rich Gannon? Should we ask him to come out of retirement so he can win the big one for us? I mean, he's awesome, look at his stats from 2002!!!!!
Completion Pct: 67.6% = OMG!!!!!!!!!!!
Yards: 4689 yds = OH YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!11
TD: 26
INT: 10
Passer Rating: 97.3

CHAMPIONSHIP!

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1305218729' post='992274']
Yet Mike Brown wants him as the starter of his franchise.
[/quote]

So you'll give credence to Mike Brown's decisions if it helps your argument but will blast him on any and every other situation? I don't think that's fair of you Mr. Sois

[quote name='IKOTA' timestamp='1305223599' post='992291']
So you'll give credence to Mike Brown's decisions if it helps your argument but will blast him on any and every other situation? I don't think that's fair of you Mr. Sois
[/quote]

Eh... kinda.

You can look at it that way. It's kinda true.

soP doesn't seem to see the things y'all see. I think he sees CP through the same lens as me. Yeah it supports my argument. He knows football better than everyone here combined. On the other hand, he apparently doesn't seem to know football well enough to win consistently.

I don't blast Mike Brown without reason. I praise him when he does good things. I like MB. He is a renegade. He does things his own way. He's a redeemer. He's loyal. He seems to honour contracts more than most teams. He constructs contracts with the intention of paying, unlike a lot of teams that do severe backloading. I hate a lot of dumb things he does too though. I hate that he kept Brat so long. I hate that he brought Marvin back. I hate that he uses the coaches as scouts. I hate that he doesn't give the coach enough power to bench/cut dudes. No practice bubble. Doesn't take advantage of the little things he can do to improve the team.

I want the Bengals to win. He does too. CP will give the Bengals the best chance. That's at the bottom line of my argument. Mike realizes this too. He is a supremely talented player who is disgruntled. Where have we seen this before? Why does it happen? It seems to happen a lot in Cincy under Mike Brown. Something has to be up with that.

It's complicated. I want CP back. I think Andy Dalton is limited in upside. That's it.

/novel

[quote name='BengalsOwn' timestamp='1305223340' post='992289']
Drew Brees last year was

4620 yards
33 tds
22 ints
90.9 rating

Not much of a difference between Brees and Palmer last season. You don't see people in New Orleans saying they'd be better off without him.
[/quote]

IF Brees plays mediocre/avg for another 2 yrs, making 3 yrs total then I wouldn't be surprised if there were people in New Orleans wanting to move on. Is that a fair statement?

Although he had 700 more passing yards than Carson did, 7 more TD's than Carson did and a higher rating by 7 points. I don't know how fair of a comparison it actually is.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1305224346' post='992295']
Eh... kinda.

You can look at it that way. It's kinda true.

soP doesn't seem to see the things y'all see. I think he sees CP through the same lens as me. Yeah it supports my argument. He knows football better than everyone here combined. On the other hand, he apparently doesn't seem to know football well enough to win consistently.

I don't blast Mike Brown without reason. I praise him when he does good things. I like MB. He is a renegade. He does things his own way. He's a redeemer. He's loyal. He seems to honour contracts more than most teams. He constructs contracts with the intention of paying, unlike a lot of teams that do severe backloading. I hate a lot of dumb things he does too though. I hate that he kept Brat so long. I hate that he brought Marvin back. I hate that he uses the coaches as scouts. I hate that he doesn't give the coach enough power to bench/cut dudes. No practice bubble. Doesn't take advantage of the little things he can do to improve the team.

I want the Bengals to win. He does too. CP will give the Bengals the best chance. That's at the bottom line of my argument. Mike realizes this too. He is a supremely talented player who is disgruntled. Where have we seen this before? Why does it happen? It seems to happen a lot in Cincy under Mike Brown. Something has to be up with that.

It's complicated. I want CP back. I think Andy Dalton is limited in upside. That's it.

/novel
[/quote]

I can dig that.

But I disagree that Palmer gives the Bengals the best chance. I think Andy Dalton is the prototypical QB for the system we're installing and therefore I feel he can succeed. Palmer does have the experience factor over Dalton which would help him decipher defenses more efficiently in the short term but having said that....Carson stunk last year. He didn't read defenses, he just went to his pre-determined read and chucked it. Maybe he stopped giving a shit a long time ago?

And you think Mike Brown knows football better than everyone here combined? I think thats an bit of a reach. And by a bit of a reach, I mean holy shit I can't believe you just said that.

Archived