Will people stop doubting Whitworth?

FWIW I mistyped. I am fine with Whit at LT but would not feel bad at all if he moved inside or to RT his more natural position. If we drafted Joe Thomas Whit is pretty obviously moving inside to Left Guard or to RT. If you are arguing that you are just arguing to argue. Whit is alot of things and a guy with an elite LT skill set is not one of them.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1318395669' post='1044082']
I thought we were discussing his stats from this year. I cant disagree with that, but again we were not discussing that. The stats from the first post were about this year.
[/quote]
You might want to reread that. Its sacks since 09.

[url="http://twitter.com/#%21/ProFootbalFocus"]ProFootbalFocus[/url] [color=#999999][size=3]ProFootballFocus.com[/size][/color]

Tops our rankings after 4 weeks. RT [url="http://twitter.com/#%21/SamMonson"][s]@[/s][b]SamMonson[/b][/url]: Andrew[b]Whitworth[/b] is the best LT in football. There, I just made it official

Thats what I was referring too....I see what you are saying though. I was wrong.

Everyone who isn't a complete idiot when it comes to football knows that Whitworth is one of the very top LTs in the NFL. He is the total package - run blocking and pass blocking. He continually shuts down All-Pro defensive players.

This moronic discussion about moving him out of his natural position of LT to guard just shows how stupid people are. Because he is so skilled, he could handle the guards spot, but he's not suited to guard at all. He has the perfect build, frame, and athleticism for tackle. Plus, he moves like a tackle, not a guard. I don't know many 6'7 guards in the NFL.

[quote name='AZBengal' timestamp='1318397008' post='1044089']
Everyone who isn't a complete idiot when it comes to football knows that Whitworth is one of the very top LTs in the NFL. He is the total package - run blocking and pass blocking. He continually shuts down All-Pro defensive players.

This moronic discussion about moving him out of his natural position of LT to guard just shows how stupid people are. Because he is so skilled, he could handle the guards spot, but he's not suited to guard at all. He has the perfect build, frame, and athleticism for tackle. Plus, he moves like a tackle, not a guard. I don't know many 6'7 guards in the NFL.
[/quote]

Oh god I hope you lubed up before you hopped on it that time.

[quote name='beastmaster' timestamp='1318392669' post='1044075']
Probably Ferguson or Clady. Overall a better athlete who is better at pulling and blocking out in space. But mostly a better athlete.
[/quote]

So are those two the only ones you would take over Whit? If so, that would make him the third best, right? Let's say you come up with a couple more. Let's say you come up with enough to drop him down to seventh or eighth. That still puts him among the elite. If you add in his intangibles, such as the attitude and character as seen in my sig quote, that should move him up a couple of notches over some of the others, right?

You also have to take into consideration his play is affected by the other linemen. Put a top 5 LG and a top 5 C next to him and he's even better. I'm not saying he's the best in the league, but I don't think it can be argued that he's not one of the best, and if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Especially at LT.

[quote name='beastmaster' timestamp='1318389562' post='1044033'] People outside of Cincinnati don't really believe that he's on that list.[/quote]

Would you care to explain how Whit was #1 in the fan voting for the ProBowl @ LT last season? Surely, it must have been because his team was so successful - a pure bandwagon thing. Or maybe it was because Cincy is such a big market that their fan base could skew the vote all by themselves. I mean, it couldn't possibly be because he's recognized as an elite player by those who actually watch the games, right?

Go crawl back under your rock.

[quote name='beastmaster' timestamp='1318390113' post='1044042']

I'm just not drinking the kool aid as hard as you are. Whitworth is good but there are certainly other players that are better than him at that position.
[/quote]

There are other players better at giving up sacks.

I love when the anti whitworth crowd have to dispute facts about him being among the best LTs.

Admit it, if he played on another team you'd be jerking off to have him. It is the exact same Bullshit Willie Anderson had to put up with prior to his first pb.

Jeebus, thanks for the thread, 1181. I am using it as an IQ test, and as a result can add a few more to my ignore list. Always nice to have that decision made so easy.

As for the person trolling this thread, stop responding to him people. It's the only way to handle a troll - starve it of attention.

As for how you know troll is trolling? It fits this pattern:

Troll (beastmaster -with a return engagement from Michael Weston- this time around): Stupid flatline dumb statement.

Poster trying to be nice (1181 in this instance): Responds with logic and stats while gently inquiring as to basis for troll's stupid flatline dumb statement.

Troll: Ignores stats and opportunity to engage with anything approaching intelligence, repeats stupid flatline dumb statement. And then repeats it again several times.

Me: Dusts off ignore button.

[quote name='beastmaster' timestamp='1318392113' post='1044072']

Again...if you could choose any LT to start your oline and you pick Whitworth...well you'd be exactly why I'm embarrassed of admitting that I'm a bengals fan...well mike brown too...okay mainly mike brown...you too
[/quote]

you being embarassed is your own problem. I'm proud to be a Bengals fan.

I'd have no problem picking Whitworth. I'd say Joe Thomas is maybe a slightly better pass blocker, but Whitworth is a better run blocker easily.

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1318390657' post='1044056']
Whitworth sucks, I have no idea why anyone would like him. The worst thing about him is that he's a Christian. With Pacman and others on this squad, there's just no room for a God-boy on our hot rails to hell.
[/quote]
:24:

[quote name='beastmaster' timestamp='1318392113' post='1044072']

Again...if you could choose any LT to start your oline and you pick Whitworth...well you'd be exactly why I'm embarrassed of admitting that I'm a bengals fan...well mike brown too...okay mainly mike brown...you too
[/quote]

NOWWWWWW.... we're getting down to the source of the (YOUR) problem! how do expect the rest of us to respect a god damned thing you have to say when you make it clear you're embarrassed to be a fan of the team?

poor little beastmaster....he got ribbed for supporting the bengals. so now he doesn't admit to any allegiance to the team when he's around the general public, so his wittle feelings don't get hurt.

we have a word for guys like you. you know that, right?

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1318395400' post='1044079']

Unorthodox? Joe Thomas, Jake Long, D'Brickashaw, Okung, Roger Saffold. Even Costanzo, Marcus McNeil,

What top pick makes that progression anymore. Name a guy who has went thru that process recently?
[/quote]

in each of those cases you have to ask yourself. wasn't that an emergency move? who did they have that manned the position effectively prior to that? did the previous guy leave through FA and force the team's hand? i'd never say you can't slot a rookie in as a LT, because certainly it has been done, and you've listed some obvious examples of that, many of which were top 5 picks. but it sure as hell isn't the way coaches prefer to do it. it's too big of a gamble at the most important position on the OL.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1318395945' post='1044083']
FWIW I mistyped. I am fine with Whit at LT but would not feel bad at all if he moved inside or to RT his more natural position. If we drafted Joe Thomas Whit is pretty obviously moving inside to Left Guard or to RT. If you are arguing that you are just arguing to argue. Whit is alot of things and a guy with an elite LT skill set is not one of them.
[/quote]

but that's what makes it a ridiculous proposition. why would you draft a LT that high, when you have a guy like whitworth doing such a fine job? if your team is drafting "that high", it's obvious your team has other needs, bigger needs than that. therefor, such a maneuver would be foolish. think about it.

Archived