Roflmao Jags hire Brat

Brat's 'you know what we do, now stop it' offense can work, with a lot of talent or against bad Ds. Sometimes a little deception goes a long way to help.

In 2009 he reigned back the guns and did some creative stuff to win us games - overbalanced line, etc. He spat out the fishhook in 2010 and pretended it was 2005 again, and it wasn't.

I was never an anti-Brat guy, but 2010 was a last straw. Perhaps the situation in Jax will get him creative again.

[quote name='Oldcat' timestamp='1326427530' post='1089203']
Brat's 'you know what we do, now stop it' offense can work, with a lot of talent or against bad Ds. Sometimes a little deception goes a long way to help.

In 2009 he reigned back the guns and did some creative stuff to win us games - overbalanced line, etc. He spat out the fishhook in 2010 and pretended it was 2005 again, and it wasn't.

I was never an anti-Brat guy, but 2010 was a last straw. Perhaps the situation in Jax will get him creative again.
[/quote]

I think his pass happyness can work in today's NFL, if called correctly.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1326427809' post='1089206']

I think his pass happyness can work in today's NFL, if called correctly.
[/quote]

Its not just the pass happyness - no screens, few quick passes, no deception, routes that depend on QBs waiting for a route to develop..

with a great line, they can work. with an iffy one, they struggle. Like we did in 2010.

[quote name='MrDingleDangle' timestamp='1326429046' post='1089213']
[color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=3]Mike Mularkey and Brat...now thats an all-star coaching staff, they just need to add a horrible DC to get the trifecta and insure they will be moving to LA within 2 years[/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

Bresnahan available?

In retrospect Brat probably had just as much to do with the bengals turn around as Marvin Lewis.

The majority of players in that offense played for the bengals prior to Marvin in a system not implemented by Marvin.

That said, even when they were top 10, I thought they under achieved given the talent and cap space. If you go back and look that offense would roll up huge numbers in a handfull of games then would have some putrid outputs.

It was masked by the whipping boy defense that produced a ton of turnovers.

Then Brat got stale. This applies to Marvin as well, but unless your getting top shelf results every year, then there is no need to keep a major coordinator or hc around 9, 10 years.

[b] Source: Jags plan to ink Bob Bratkowski[/b]

By Adam Schefter
ESPN
[url="http://search.espn.go.com/adam-schefter/"]Archive[/url]

The [url="http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/jac/jacksonville-jaguars"]Jacksonville Jaguars[/url] plan to hire former [url="http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/atl/atlanta-falcons"]Atlanta Falcons[/url] quarterbacks coach Bob Bratkowski as their offensive coordinator, according to a team source.
Bratkowski will once again work with new Jaguars head coach Mike Mularkey, as they did in Atlanta.
Jaguars defensive coordinator Mel Tucker will remain in Jacksonville after turning down an offer to become [url="http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/min/minnesota-vikings"]Minnesota Vikings[/url] defensive coordinator, according to a league source.

[quote name='dabengals12' timestamp='1326427094' post='1089199']
And by being respected do you mean that he wasnt offered a promotion with the club he was just with?
[/quote]

One of the big downsides to joining a board late is that you don't get the reference Jamie was making. Also pay attention to the Ninja, which means the post is intentionally tongue-in-cheek/sarcastic.

I was glad to see Brat go also. We needed a breath of fresh air, but the jury is still out on Gruden. The next couple seasons will tell if the Bengals have improved over Brat. Gruden has gotten a lot of acclaim throughout the league that I don't really get for a 20+ ranked offense. Even with the many bad defenses that they've played. The O has a long way to go and will need some key acquisitions. Yes, he had 2 rookies in key positions, but he also had the advantage of the unknown, being a rookie OC. Obviously, I am hoping that he is the answer. I'm optimistic, but still reserved.

[quote name='Hooky' timestamp='1326463026' post='1089278']
I was glad to see Brat go also. We needed a breath of fresh air, but the jury is still out on Gruden. The next couple seasons will tell if the Bengals have improved over Brat. Gruden has gotten a lot of acclaim throughout the league that I don't really get for a 20+ ranked offense. Even with the many bad defenses that they've played. The O has a long way to go and will need some key acquisitions. Yes, he had 2 rookies in key positions, but he also had the advantage of the unknown, being a rookie OC. Obviously, I am hoping that he is the answer. I'm optimistic, but still reserved.
[/quote]

Offenses are always expected to struggle when you have a rookie QB in place for the year.

Offenses usually struggle when you are installing a new system, with a new Offensive Coordinator.

We had both situations occurring simultaneously during a lockout year where the coaches were not allowed to contact the players for most of the off season. It helps to have perspective, rather than looking at stats in a vacuum.

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1326464305' post='1089282']

Offenses are always expected to struggle when you have a rookie QB in place for the year.

Offenses usually struggle when you are installing a new system, with a new Offensive Coordinator.

We had both situations occurring simultaneously during a lockout year where the coaches were not allowed to contact the players for most of the off season. It helps to have perspective, rather than looking at stats in a vacuum.
[/quote]

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1326465835' post='1089291']

10 games against top 10 Defenses.
[/quote]

Yes, but they played some bad defenses and struggled. It's not a good offense yet. I'm not saying it's not going to be. I'm just saying before we laugh at the Jags for signing Brat, we should have a good offense ourselves. The offense hasn't improved yet over last year.

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1326464305' post='1089282']

[/quote]

Vacuum? I probably watched more games than you did. i have plenty of perspective.

[quote name='Hooky' timestamp='1326468205' post='1089300']

Vacuum? I probably watched more games than you did. i have plenty of perspective.
[/quote]

he's not saying you didn't watch games. He's saying you can't just look at the stats and not factor in the circumstances of the situation.

[quote name='Hooky' timestamp='1326468205' post='1089300']

[/quote]

Then why simply point to the ranking of the offense as an indicator of success? It's a little silly to make a comparison anyway in regards to Bob.. If he lights it up or sucks it up in Jax what in reality does that have to say about The Bengals and Bob's time together?

Not much. Different situations, different times... Bob is obviously a hell of a football coach.. You don't make it in the NFL if you aren't. He has proven he has what it takes to coordinate in the NFL.. He can do it again in Jax perhaps if it's in the cards. Or maybe it will go horribly.. It doesn't change the fact that he had a good thing going in Cinci while it lasted, and at the end, it was time for it to be over.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1326468600' post='1089301']

he's not saying you didn't watch games. He's saying you can't just look at the stats and not factor in the circumstances of the situation.
[/quote]

Exactly

Archived