Dontay Moch suspended

[quote name='UCJT' timestamp='1337518055' post='1131575']
Seems interesting to me that banned substances in your system (Moch - 4 games) carries a greater penalty than getting busted with intent-to-distribute quantities of illegal drugs (SImpson - 3 games).
[/quote]
Great point.

[quote name='High School Harry' timestamp='1337524188' post='1131587']

Maybe he can say it was something he bought over the counter in a gas station or he took his wife's birth control pills by mistake...

No wait ... those have already been used.
[/quote]

Don't we all wish you could find something to take so you could post more intelligently. Alas, I think that is only a wish.

Who knows what he got popped for. He got popped, he's going through his appeal, and we'll see what happens. Speculating the best and worst scenarios of what went into his body doesn't change anything.

[quote name='fredtoast' timestamp='1337522800' post='1131580']
Moch is having the same problem percy Harvin did. he smoked weed to help with his migrains. They could get away with this in college, but not the NFL.

BTW can we please give this man-love for Burfict a little break. He is nothing special as a player and will be a very long shot to even make the team. The guy that benefits the most is Muckleroy. he is actually a promising prospect that could help the team this year.
[/quote]

Can we give the Burflict hate a break? He was special enough to be a 1st team all American as a sophomore. Sure, he had a bad six months, but are you saying you've never had a bad six months? I figure he knows he cost himself some money, and he'll work his ass off to try to get it back. If not, nothing lost. I'm amazed at how big the swings are on here, in January, guys wanted him with a first rd pick, now, he's dogshit and people can't wait to scrape him off their shoes.

Moch is having the same problem percy Harvin did. he smoked weed to help with his migrains. They could get away with this in college, but not the NFL.

[/quote]

he didn't get suspended under the recreational drug part of the rule. He got suspended under the banned substance (ie performance enhancer) part of the rule.

[quote name='Le Tigre' timestamp='1337525416' post='1131593']
Goes with the general judgmental tendencies of the average John Q fan, Ken.

Everyone wants a killer-type...who is also a boy scout. And who doesn't take PED's, smoke weed, or talk too much.
[/quote]

No kidding. As long as they're not driving around drunk, beating up women or some other ill shit like that.. I mean, what kind of person do you generally think plays linebacker in the NFL? Ya think maybe they might have some anger issues? I don't like dirty players but getting a little fire out of someone out there is what takes this defense from "good" to "great" IMHO.

[quote name='mongo' timestamp='1337524631' post='1131591']
[b]Who knows what he got popped for. He got popped, he's going through his appeal, and we'll see what happens.[/b] Speculating the best and worst scenarios of what went into his body doesn't change anything.
[/quote]

x2. Ultimately he's responsible for what he puts in his body. They're taught that on day 1.

Hopefully though, if he can prove it came from a medication (if that's what happened) he should be able to at least get it reduced.

The league won't announce anything until after the appeal, nor will the Bengals. This just came out from someone inside who leaked it to the media.

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1337525765' post='1131597']
No kidding. As long as they're not driving around drunk, beating up women or some other ill shit like that.. I mean, what kind of person do you generally think plays linebacker in the NFL? Ya think maybe they might have some anger issues? I don't like dirty players but getting a little fire out of someone out there is what takes this defense from "good" to "great" IMHO.
[/quote]

Yes. It is a travesty that we expect well-paid, grown men not to beat women and not risk their lives and livelihoods by acting like a moronic teenager. How dare we hold them to the most basic standards of living in our society.

BTW can we please give this man-love for Burfict a little break.
[/quote]

why do you care what someone else thinks of Vontaze Burfict?

[quote name='Xombie' timestamp='1337527657' post='1131607']
Yes. It is a travesty that we expect well-paid, grown men not to beat women and not risk their lives and livelihoods by acting like a moronic teenager. How dare we hold them to the most basic standards of living in our society.[/quote]

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1337525765' post='1131597']
No kidding. [b]As long as they're not driving around drunk, beating up women[/b] or some other ill shit like that..
[/quote]

:huh:

??

Take "ill shit" to include anything else with a clear victim besides themselves. A minor altercation at a bar would not fall into this category, IMHO.

As far as Moch goes, the NFL "substance abuse policy" for PED's has swept up bigger names recently. The Broncos just had 3 (!) a couple of months ago.

[quote name='happyrid' timestamp='1337530699' post='1131615']
After the first 2 picks, the 2011 draft class is starting to look pretty questionable. A few guys are gone already. And most of the rest have look to have been drafted over in the 2012 draft (Boling for example).
[/quote]

Boling wasn't drafted over. We lost TWO starting guards this offseason.

aAnd we didn't draft another safety until the 6th round.

I am of the belief that it is pretty much IMPOSSIBLE to judge a draft class after the rookie season.

So Jerome gets 3 games, and moch 4? I guess he had to have been busted with a performance enhancer, either that or Roger gave the Vikings a break. Oh well, it is what it is I guess. Hope his appeal goes well. Like to see him play a few games before I pass on the guy and move on though.

[b] Moch fourth Bengal suspended for banned substances in two years[/b]
[url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/team/CIN"][img]http://sports.cbsimg.net/images/nfl/logos/50x50/CIN.png[/img][/url] [b]28 minutes ago[/b] - by Paul Dehner Jr.

LB [url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1272677/dontay-moch"]Dontay Moch[/url] was suspended four games for use of banned substances, according to CBS' Jason LaCanfora. This marks the fourth [url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/page/CIN/cincinnati-bengals"]Bengals[/url] player suspended four games for banned substances in the past two years. DE Antwan Odom (2010), OL Bobbie Williams (2011) and LB[url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1853756/dequin-evans"]DeQuin Evans[/url] (2011) also violated the policy.
[url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/team/CIN"]Cincinnati Bengals RapidReports[/url] | [url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports"]All National Football League RapidReports[/url]

[/quote]

This isn't over weed. If Moch failed a drug test for weed, he would have been put into the Drug Program.
Then it would have taken another failed test to get suspended.

This suspension is for something totally different, like PEDs or something like that.

Moch won't be cut because he can be put on the exempt list during his suspension. DeQuin Evans seems like the beneficiary if he's still considered a linebacker. Both he and Moch are primarily edge rushers. If they now consider Evans a DE, then Muckelroy is probably the backup at SLB and Rey or Burfict makes the roster.

Yeah I was going to say the same thing as Oldschooler. If it was weed then this would have had to been his second offense to get 4 games, so it must have been a PeD instead. Heck, maybe the PeD explains why he had migraines all the time last year, steroids raise your blood pressure.

The thing is, if you read PFT's article it states that the announcement of Moch's suspension shouldn't have been leaked when he still has an ongoing appeal and that because of that, his case might be thrown out altogether.

[quote name='Dr Tarzan' timestamp='1337517972' post='1131574']
I looked over the banned substance list... Nothing that we use for migraines. So i guess we can scratch that excuse. Plus his tweet sure sounds like a mea culpa. He was doping and got caught. I dubious that it was just some honest mistake. I am pretty sure he can practice sqaud material as I doubt any other team will touch him now....if he makes the team at all.
[/quote]

that brings question #2, and abu can weigh in on this too, if he would. are you aware of any doping drugs that would bring on the migranes? is that a common side effect?

if so, maybe we've found a hint to his problems last year.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1337540392' post='1131642']
that brings question #2, and abu can weigh in on this too, if he would. are you aware of any doping drugs that would bring on the migranes? is that a common side effect?

if so, maybe we've found a hint to his problems last year.
[/quote]

Steroids, stimulants, ect. Most things that are barbiturates (downers) do the opposite. Are there any vasodialators on the banned list? Those would help with migraines. Also the same stuff that Lance Armstrong was accused of would help migraines but be banned (EPOs). Those help your red blood cells carry more blood.

[size=6][b]What would a Moch suspension mean for Bengals?[/b][/size]

05/20/12 at 5:11pm
• Written by jreedy

Dontay Moch didn’t play in any games last season and could be missing the first four this year.

NFL Network/CBS Sports’ Jason LaCanfora reported Saturday night that the Bengals linebacker is facing a four-game suspension for using a banned substance pending appeal.

League spokesman Greg Aiello had no comment about the report. The only comment anyone has made has been Moch, who tweeted late Saturday night that mistakes happen and that it is time to learn and move forward.

So what could all of this mean?

[b]Appeals process:[/b] Depending on when it was filed, it usually takes a month or two before there is a decision. That was the case two years ago with Antwan Odom when word leaked in early September that he was about to be suspended. The league announced it five weeks later during the team’s bye week.

If upheld, it would be the third straight year that a Bengals player has been suspended. Odom in 2010 and Bobbie Williams last season each got four games for use of a performance-enhancing substance.

[b]Rosterology: [/b]There are 12 linebackers currently on the roster and the Bengals usually keep seven. If Moch was out either Dan Skuta or Roddrick Muckelroy could back up Manny Lawson. There are also concerns if Rey Maualuga could face a suspension for repeated violations of the personal conduct policy after a February incident at a Cincinnati club. That charge was dismissed though after it was settled in mediation but sometimes the legal result does not matter. Brandon Johnson remains a free agent but the only interest was a trip to the Steelers. Johnson has been a solid player here but would he come back on a one-year deal for the fourth-straight season?

(Click the link for the entire article)

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2012/05/20/what-would-a-moch-suspension-mean-for-bengals/

Archived