[quote name='JC' timestamp='1341689150' post='1138119']
Ohio sucks right now. For sure. I'm just grateful the power outages weren't this week.
[/quote]

no kidding....

I was at my parents swimming yesterday and your couldn't even stay cool in the pool. The water was 93 degrees...
It's even hotter today, I think it's going to be a nice day to set in the house in the air, have a couple beers and watch some baseball and golf...

Pussies....

:ninja:

For the record I was in Ohio last weekend for my nephew's wedding (who the fuck has an outdoor wedding in June in Ohio?!?) so I got to experience the heat *and* humidity. Plus the storms, loss of power, and that kitschy "Third World" feel Ohio seems to have adopted...

No way in hell I would ever move back...

[quote name='Elflocko' timestamp='1341711143' post='1138141']
Pussies....

:ninja:

For the record I was in Ohio last weekend for my nephew's wedding (who the fuck has an outdoor wedding in June in Ohio?!?) so I got to experience the heat *and* humidity. Plus the storms, loss of power, [b]and that kitschy "Third World" feel Ohio seems to have adopted... [/b]

[/quote]

right?

the sweet ass food is losing its luster of even going back to visit....

UGH...

i DO miss me some angilos pizza though..

it was 107 here last week, but no humidity thank god..

just got like 400 inches of rain yesterday.... floods everywhere... i will assume the fires are now contained..

[quote name='Elflocko' timestamp='1341711143' post='1138141']
that kitschy "Third World" feel Ohio seems to have adopted...

[/quote]

May I ask which internationally-renowned mecca of art & culture you currently inhabit?

Besides Trollville, that is..

To be honest I think I could be happy just about anywhere that I had alot of friends and family. I have been thinking for along time about moving south to GA, Tenn or the carolinas, but the problem with that is you get a lot of rednecks and you move far away from the people that you enjoy hanging out with. Colorado sounds cool but I hate that there is no grass and its so far away. Seems isolating. I really hate Columbus winters because they are gray, but I am not sure the bugs and heat of the south would be that much better.

What is it that makes these other places so much better in your mind?

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1341769838' post='1138196']
May I ask which internationally-renowned mecca of art & culture you currently inhabit?

Besides Trollville, that is..
[/quote]

i know myopinion on this amy be getting old, but i still feel the need to share it. it took someone else sharing some thoughts on "leaving home" with me to make it "ok" so if it helps one person take the leap and leave a confort zone for something better,then its worth making 50 people cringe.

I spent the first 28 years of my life in Ohio, i was born there, grew up in mason, lived in blue ash, had an office/studio in clifton, ran a business in clifton, i later moved back to mason and spent a few more years there.

i always liked it, never imagined leaving ohio ,EVER. then i started traveling more, ironically football travels is what started it, going to bigger cities, met all kinds of new friends all over the country, and i began to realize a few things.

1. the [u][b]weather[/b][/u] in Ohio is trash, it litterally sucks all year round, the only times of year that its not so humid you dont even want to walk outside or so bitter cold that you also dont even want to walk outside, it just rains and is gloomy. After visiting my sister in Colorado (she moved here 10-11 years ago) it was also sunny and never too hot or cold, i visited in the summer, winter, spring, etc.. i mentioned how i must come out during the best weeks cause its always clear and sunny...she said "its always like that".. i was kind of stupid as far as how climate was across the country, i was maybe 21-23 when i started visiting so i hadnt been around much, and even when i travelled later it was mostly east coast, ny, nj, baltimore, philly, and south east, in fl, atl, nashville, etc, places with similar climate...so i later decided to look it up, cincinnati sunny days per year, was 74-85 per year depending where you look and denver sunny days per year was 300... to add to that, there is no humidity here, ohios average is 41-96% and colorado is around 40% year round.

There are some downsides to this. its like a desert here, so you dont just grow a lawn, its dry clay dirt here and my water bill sucks ass keeping grass growing, also you need to drink a bunch of water everyday (which is healthy so both good and bad), also you will get sun burnt in about 35 minutes here, the altitude makes the atmosphere clear as can be, so the sun is going to burn you quicker.so wearing hats and sun screen is a must when you go out for even a semi-short time. but when it snows, the roads are clear and dry within a few hours of the sun coming out. we could get 7 inches overnight, and drive on dry roads to work that morning at 9am. in ohio, 7 inches of snow would be a snow emergency and the world would shut down..lots of things that surprised the hell out of me, its not cold here, i dont wear a coat, ever, i do not own a winter coat, at all. if the sun is out, its going to be warm, i DO have like bengals hoodies and jackets and ralph lauren jackets made of sweat pants type material, i wear those, and a beanie is the suns not out. or if im outside for extended times, but to and from work or a store from my car, its not needed... ice doesnt stick to your car, i havent yet had to clear my windows with anything but my wipers/hand(for back window) only crappy time to drive in snow is when its snowing overnight, its like ohio is all winter long. they dont salt the roads here they use sand and some spray, so you dont get salt all over everything, the sun heats up the gravel and the spray prevents overnight freezing on the roads(from what im told)...and the wildfires suck if you live in those areas...

2. Economy/jobs - (actually cincy unemployment rate is beating denver for the first time in a while, since 07-08 i believe). impressive i must add. but two years ago when i left, we opened a job posting at my work, had 57 applicants in 4 days, here we opened the same job and we had 3, 2 of which couldnt pass the test to get an interview, so 1 candidate. and they were from within the company just a different department, its kind of frustrating trying to find people who needs jobs.. lots of larger companies moved headquarters here from california for tax reasons.

3. preferences - this is where i think a lot of the confusion comes from. i dont want to be surrounded by 120 acres of corn fields, and i dont want a small 150 yr old place in clifton, the subburbs are all still surrounded by cornfields and lots of nothing. i like a bigger city, not necessarily living in one. but near one, which is why i liked mason, oh, it was close to 71 to get downtown, and had plenty of business and things around. but i find the folks who "love" ohio, love the "country living" aspect... but think if you DIDNT like the "country living"... ohio bring little else to the table except a few select areas. (not that colorado doesnt have cowboy country, but you get the point, i hope)

4. The people. First this isnt to offend anyone. but there are far more close minded "hillbilly assholes" everywhere i have been in ohio than anywhere i have been here or in ny, nj, baltimore, (florida is actually pretty bad too).. and my sister told me perhaps i just had a jaded opinion, but having run across a few people who work for a company in ohio but in a branch here, i had a few conversations, telling them i am from there, we talk about the weather, every single one has said ohio is grey and gloomy and miserable all the time, and about half ahve brought up that the people there are grumpy and kind of dickheads... hell i think MY personality has changed a LOT since i came here. there are good and bad people everywhere, but you just get a shitty vibe from a lot bigger % of people there than you do here..IMO(and opinion of a few others)

5. family. if my mother didnt pass away 2-3 years ago, i would still live in ohio. i would quite posibly be devorced, but thats another story. i would have never left my parents, in ohio i had my family there to watch my kids and stuff, the free daycare would ahve kept me there forever... but when she passed i had nothing left there, i have lots of family still there, grandparents, cousins, aunts and uncles, etc. but no one i couldnt live without on a daily basis. i talked to my dad, and i said "if i move to denver, will you come out there too? he doesnt have any family left in ohio, and my sister and I would both be in Denver, he said he would, so i got the hell out of there. By far the best decision I have EVER made in my life. I cant knock people who stay where they are for family, but if it isnt something you need everyweek (like for child care or to care for them, etc) then visitng them and them visiting you is a great option, too.

I have the same job, but i make $3/hr more than I did there. I pay $43 less per month for my mortgage than i did for rent in Mason, OH. my kids see the rocky mountains EVERY DAY. they have been to pikes peak, rocky mtn natl park a few times, aspen, vail, etc.. its all within an hour of our house.

to summerise my ohio Vs Where i went "debate"

1. WAY Better weather
2. equal(previously way better) job market, but higher pay rate here.
3. priceless experiences for my family(rocky mtn, apsen, vail, day trips to these things)

what i left behind? good pizza and fresh made skyline.

ohio isnt the worst place ever, it just seems like the worst place ever when you live somewhere better and ahve to go back and visit.

just my opinion... there is so much this country has to offer elsewhere.. staying in ohio for no reason is probably a mistake. if it fits your desires and or family needs, then thats where you will be happiest, thats great to be where you will be happy. but i am at work right now, working, and i can see the rocky mountains right now...this place kicks ass...

I have immediate family in ohio and I could never live there for much of the same reasons Go describes in addition to feeling like I walked into 1970, but i digress...

the two biggest downsides to living in DC are the high cost of living and the god awful traffic, other than that i love it here

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1341796418' post='1138322']
I have immediate family in ohio and I could never live there for much of the same reasons Go describes [b]in addition to feeling like I walked into 1970[/b], but i digress...

the two biggest downsides to living in DC are the high cost of living and the god awful traffic, other than that i love it here
[/quote]

Bazinga!

I would like to hear more specifics about why its like walking back into 1970? I could see saying this about cities outside of the 3 big C's but I think that Columbus, Cleveland and Cincinnati are pretty similar to same size cities throut the country. Maybe not DC, LA, Philly and Chicago but then your real problem is with smaller towns and not Ohio.

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1341787479' post='1138273']
i know myopinion on this amy be getting old, but i still feel the need to share it. it took someone else sharing some thoughts on "leaving home" with me to make it "ok" so if it helps one person take the leap and leave a confort zone for something better,then its worth making 50 people cringe.

I spent the first 28 years of my life in Ohio, i was born there, grew up in mason, lived in blue ash, had an office/studio in clifton, ran a business in clifton, i later moved back to mason and spent a few more years there.

i always liked it, never imagined leaving ohio ,EVER. then i started traveling more, ironically football travels is what started it, going to bigger cities, met all kinds of new friends all over the country, and i began to realize a few things.

1. the [u][b]weather[/b][/u] in Ohio is trash, it litterally sucks all year round, the only times of year that its not so humid you dont even want to walk outside or so bitter cold that you also dont even want to walk outside, it just rains and is gloomy. After visiting my sister in Colorado (she moved here 10-11 years ago) it was also sunny and never too hot or cold, i visited in the summer, winter, spring, etc.. i mentioned how i must come out during the best weeks cause its always clear and sunny...she said "its always like that".. i was kind of stupid as far as how climate was across the country, i was maybe 21-23 when i started visiting so i hadnt been around much, and even when i travelled later it was mostly east coast, ny, nj, baltimore, philly, and south east, in fl, atl, nashville, etc, places with similar climate...so i later decided to look it up, cincinnati sunny days per year, was 74-85 per year depending where you look and denver sunny days per year was 300... to add to that, there is no humidity here, ohios average is 41-96% and colorado is around 40% year round.

There are some downsides to this. its like a desert here, so you dont just grow a lawn, its dry clay dirt here and my water bill sucks ass keeping grass growing, also you need to drink a bunch of water everyday (which is healthy so both good and bad), also you will get sun burnt in about 35 minutes here, the altitude makes the atmosphere clear as can be, so the sun is going to burn you quicker.so wearing hats and sun screen is a must when you go out for even a semi-short time. but when it snows, the roads are clear and dry within a few hours of the sun coming out. we could get 7 inches overnight, and drive on dry roads to work that morning at 9am. in ohio, 7 inches of snow would be a snow emergency and the world would shut down..lots of things that surprised the hell out of me, its not cold here, i dont wear a coat, ever, i do not own a winter coat, at all. if the sun is out, its going to be warm, i DO have like bengals hoodies and jackets and ralph lauren jackets made of sweat pants type material, i wear those, and a beanie is the suns not out. or if im outside for extended times, but to and from work or a store from my car, its not needed... ice doesnt stick to your car, i havent yet had to clear my windows with anything but my wipers/hand(for back window) only crappy time to drive in snow is when its snowing overnight, its like ohio is all winter long. they dont salt the roads here they use sand and some spray, so you dont get salt all over everything, the sun heats up the gravel and the spray prevents overnight freezing on the roads(from what im told)...and the wildfires suck if you live in those areas...

2. Economy/jobs - (actually cincy unemployment rate is beating denver for the first time in a while, since 07-08 i believe). impressive i must add. but two years ago when i left, we opened a job posting at my work, had 57 applicants in 4 days, here we opened the same job and we had 3, 2 of which couldnt pass the test to get an interview, so 1 candidate. and they were from within the company just a different department, its kind of frustrating trying to find people who needs jobs.. lots of larger companies moved headquarters here from california for tax reasons.

3. preferences - this is where i think a lot of the confusion comes from. i dont want to be surrounded by 120 acres of corn fields, and i dont want a small 150 yr old place in clifton, the subburbs are all still surrounded by cornfields and lots of nothing. i like a bigger city, not necessarily living in one. but near one, which is why i liked mason, oh, it was close to 71 to get downtown, and had plenty of business and things around. but i find the folks who "love" ohio, love the "country living" aspect... but think if you DIDNT like the "country living"... ohio bring little else to the table except a few select areas. (not that colorado doesnt have cowboy country, but you get the point, i hope)

4. The people. First this isnt to offend anyone. but there are far more close minded "hillbilly assholes" everywhere i have been in ohio than anywhere i have been here or in ny, nj, baltimore, (florida is actually pretty bad too).. and my sister told me perhaps i just had a jaded opinion, but having run across a few people who work for a company in ohio but in a branch here, i had a few conversations, telling them i am from there, we talk about the weather, every single one has said ohio is grey and gloomy and miserable all the time, and about half ahve brought up that the people there are grumpy and kind of dickheads... hell i think MY personality has changed a LOT since i came here. there are good and bad people everywhere, but you just get a shitty vibe from a lot bigger % of people there than you do here..IMO(and opinion of a few others)

5. family. if my mother didnt pass away 2-3 years ago, i would still live in ohio. i would quite posibly be devorced, but thats another story. i would have never left my parents, in ohio i had my family there to watch my kids and stuff, the free daycare would ahve kept me there forever... but when she passed i had nothing left there, i have lots of family still there, grandparents, cousins, aunts and uncles, etc. but no one i couldnt live without on a daily basis. i talked to my dad, and i said "if i move to denver, will you come out there too? he doesnt have any family left in ohio, and my sister and I would both be in Denver, he said he would, so i got the hell out of there. By far the best decision I have EVER made in my life. I cant knock people who stay where they are for family, but if it isnt something you need everyweek (like for child care or to care for them, etc) then visitng them and them visiting you is a great option, too.

I have the same job, but i make $3/hr more than I did there. I pay $43 less per month for my mortgage than i did for rent in Mason, OH. my kids see the rocky mountains EVERY DAY. they have been to pikes peak, rocky mtn natl park a few times, aspen, vail, etc.. its all within an hour of our house.

to summerise my ohio Vs Where i went "debate"

1. WAY Better weather
2. equal(previously way better) job market, but higher pay rate here.
3. priceless experiences for my family(rocky mtn, apsen, vail, day trips to these things)

what i left behind? good pizza and fresh made skyline.

ohio isnt the worst place ever, it just seems like the worst place ever when you live somewhere better and ahve to go back and visit.

just my opinion... there is so much this country has to offer elsewhere.. staying in ohio for no reason is probably a mistake. if it fits your desires and or family needs, then thats where you will be happiest, thats great to be where you will be happy. but i am at work right now, working, and i can see the rocky mountains right now...this place kicks ass...
[/quote]

I agree with the gray and glooming aspect of it for sure

I've lived mostly in the Southwest before moving to Ohio; cities & small towns & the middle of nowhere. I'm not from here, so the idea of "somewhere else" for a native is certainly valid. So is job, family, and of course there's no arguing with what you simply prefer for yourself.

That being said, the weather is not something I'd complain about at all. There are 4 distinct seasons here, but - current record heatwave aside, which certainly isn't limited to Ohio - they tend to be relatively mild. Even at the extremes there are usually a few nice days scattered in between. There's enough precip most years but it's not a wet climate, either. Fall is particularly nice. It'll be back down into the 80's here this week, hail Cthulhu. I won't argue that there's more spectacular scenery in some other places, but you can enjoy being outside here for a good part of the year & I've come to appreciate that quite a bit.

As for those other places, I've got a pretty good job right now, and my money goes further here than in most parts of the country. You can buy a home or property here for a fraction of what you'd pay just about anywhere else. If I really want to go to town, there's Chicago a few hours away and - if you haven't been there recently this may sound funny, but - Detroit is a lot of fun for me. Chalk that up to "personal pref" too, I guess. You can fly just about anywhere in the country (usually not from CVG for me, but nearby cities) for a few hundred bucks. If NYC or LA or Omaha aren't exotic enough, CVG will let you fly direct to all sorts of international hubs. And again, because you live in LOL Ohio, you can afford to go to those places more easily.

I can't say that I'll live here forever, or that there aren't opportunities elsewhere or other circumstances that I would ignore in order to stay, but for me personally I find it an excellent place to live. Maybe what some people consider "stuck in the 70's" strikes me differently? I guess if that's when you were growing up here, you'd have those associations. Again, it's about what makes you happy and what's important to you. Right now, Ohio is a good fit.

Go, you're still in the euphoria stage; eventually you'll start to see and even admit to some disadvantages, and that's the real test. How do the newly observed disadvantages weigh compared to the old location? It took me about 2 years to get to that point, but I'm still very satisfied with my moves from Cincinnati (well, Frankfort, KY) to DC and from DC to Munich.

The grass [i]is[/i] always greener on the other side, you know. Unless your asshole neighbor doesn't water his lawn.

[quote name='CincyInDC' timestamp='1341815678' post='1138337']
[b]Go, you're still in the euphoria stage; eventually you'll start to see and even admit to some disadvantages, [/b]and that's the real test. How do the newly observed disadvantages weigh compared to the old location? It took me about 2 years to get to that point, but I'm still very satisfied with my moves from Cincinnati (well, Frankfort, KY) to DC and from DC to Munich.

The grass [i]is[/i] always greener on the other side, you know. Unless your asshole neighbor doesn't water his lawn.
[/quote]

x2. Live anywhere long enough and you'll eventually see the warts.

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1341809356' post='1138334']
I've lived mostly in the Southwest before moving to Ohio; cities & small towns & the middle of nowhere. I'm not from here, so the idea of "somewhere else" for a native is certainly valid. So is job, family, and of course there's no arguing with what you simply prefer for yourself.

That being said, the weather is not something I'd complain about at all. There are 4 distinct seasons here, but - current record heatwave aside, which certainly isn't limited to Ohio - they tend to be relatively mild. Even at the extremes there are usually a few nice days scattered in between. There's enough precip most years but it's not a wet climate, either. Fall is particularly nice. It'll be back down into the 80's here this week, hail Cthulhu. I won't argue that there's more spectacular scenery in some other places, but you can enjoy being outside here for a good part of the year & I've come to appreciate that quite a bit.

As for those other places, I've got a pretty good job right now, and my money goes further here than in most parts of the country. You can buy a home or property here for a fraction of what you'd pay just about anywhere else. If I really want to go to town, there's Chicago a few hours away and - if you haven't been there recently this may sound funny, but - Detroit is a lot of fun for me. Chalk that up to "personal pref" too, I guess. You can fly just about anywhere in the country (usually not from CVG for me, but nearby cities) for a few hundred bucks. If NYC or LA or Omaha aren't exotic enough, CVG will let you fly direct to all sorts of international hubs. And again, because you live in LOL Ohio, you can afford to go to those places more easily.

I can't say that I'll live here forever, or that there aren't opportunities elsewhere or other circumstances that I would ignore in order to stay, but for me personally I find it an excellent place to live. Maybe what some people consider "stuck in the 70's" strikes me differently? I guess if that's when you were growing up here, you'd have those associations. Again, it's about what makes you happy and what's important to you. Right now, Ohio is a good fit.
[/quote]

I find it interesting that no one will explain those or the third world comments.

I like the tristate, especially where I live in SE Indiana. Its rural enough that its quiet, close enough to the airport, stadiums, Northern Kentucky, my subdivision is made up of completely unique homes, unlike the DC area where I spent a good portion of my life, where every other home is the same (and there's almost 2,000 of them here), good schools, I can get downtown to a city that's remarkably more cosmopolitan than its size would suggest in 25 minutes....in short...I like it here. I'm planted. And as [b]T-Dub[/b] suggests.....you can get a whole LOT of home for a LOT less here and still be close to all the amenities like in a big city. And not a lot of traffic either. My house if it were situated within San Francisco would cost 1,250,000 dollars. I paid 155,000 dollars. Cost of living is great here.

Cons...yeah, there's some rednecky shit around, but that's not unique to this area. It DOES get really humid in the Summer and we can have severe winters sometimes. But I love the Cincinnati area. I would never leave unless I won a huge lottery, in which case my next house will be on the big island of Hawaii.

I have lived in Cincinnati, Chicago, Baton Rouge, Lancaster and Gettysburg PA, Boynton Beach and Smithfield NC.

Yes, most of my family still lives in Cincinnati, which plays a part in how I feel. Cincinnati is still "home" to me, and if I could find a job in my field without taking too much of a pay cut I would move back immediately. (Although the housing market in NC is a bitch right now and selling the house would be an issue.)

Two Friday's ago, my apartment complex and nearby streets lost power for 24 hours. The funny part is a shopping plaza that has a Starbucks, Hallmark, two banks, Giant (grocery chain in the DC area), ABC, multiple restaurants, and other things had some things closed because of no power but ABC somehow remained open.

VA knows their priorities! :)

Archived