Oldtimers: Have the Bengals ever had a weapon like AJ Green?

He is like Randy Moss but with a good attitude. He has the speed and size of Chris Henry but the agility of a small dude. His hands are amazing. Bengals are really lucky to have him.

Have the Bengals ever had anyone like this? He makes everyone better. For example, on that Baby Hawk slant that went for a TD, the safety was doubling AJ clearing out the middle of the field.

He's glorious.

I don't think Pickens has the wheels AJ has. If so, he wasn't as tall so the jump ball threat wasn't as big. Pickens was good, but I am getting dominant feelings from AJ. Like Backer said, he is looking like he could be one of the best ever.

I have never seen a receiver (Since I started watching the Bengals in 1981 as a 5 year old) with as much talent as Green.

I am not just comparing his potential to the best Bengal ever, I am comparing him to the best receivers of all time (potential wise). He's got the best Bengal receiver I have seen all locked up.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1348434021' post='1162187']
I don't think Pickens has the wheels AJ has. If so, he wasn't as tall so the jump ball threat wasn't as big. Pickens was good, but I am getting dominant feelings from AJ. Like Backer said, he is looking like he could be one of the best ever.
[/quote] Pickens was a high jump champion at Tennessee before he got drafted. That's where the jump ball play originated from in Cincinnati was from having Pickens. He was really good especially when Blake was there throwing that rainbow pass.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1348434021' post='1162187']
[/quote]

Look at Pickens 1995 and 1996 stats and you will see why I said he was dominant for a short period of time. He also wasn't exactly surrounded by weapons. He was double teamed ALL the time.

1995 rec. 99 yards 1234 TD 17
1996 rec. 100 yards 1180 TD 12

That's some pretty awesome stats.

I have fond memories of many receivers, I loved Issac Curtis. But AJ is in a league of his own with his talent. Love the attitude also, confidence not arrogance, team not personal stats. As I said in gameday thread, he is a man amongst boys out there.

Before it's all over, AJ will be the best we have ever had.

But we have had a couple pretty good.

Isaac Curtis was a beast who just played in the wrong era. If he were playing today his numbers would be silly good.

Chad Johnson was pretty good

[quote name='Oldcat' timestamp='1348438358' post='1162261']
Isaac Curtis. Look at his yards per catch. Remember that there were virtually no pass interference rules for half his career.

The fact that Green can be compared with Curtis is a helluva compliment.
[/quote]

^^ This

[quote name='Phatcat' timestamp='1348440152' post='1162279']
^^ This
[/quote]

X3
[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1348447383' post='1162380']
[b]Chad imho was the best we've had[/b], but if AJ keeps this up he'll be the one wearing the yellow jacket.
[/quote]

Not even close.

What Curtis was able to accomplish with no PI, is amazing. Plus he was faster than Chad, ran better routes, and didn't disappear in big games.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WfwNmpRB8-4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WfwNmpRB8-4[/url]

Isaac Curtis was one of the greatest receivers of all time. Isaac Curtis had world class speed running a 9.30 seconds in the 100 yard dash making him faster then the legendary Jesse Owens who ran it in 9.40 seconds. To help put that in a even better prospective Usain Bolt can run the 100 yard dash in the 8.9 range meaning Curtis was only around .4(Four Tenths of a Second) slower than Usain Bolt.

[quote name='Elijah15' timestamp='1348450718' post='1162414']
i was never around when isaac curtis was around so i got no idea about him, but was he that good?
[/quote]

Pass Interference was originally called "The Isaac Curtis Rule".

Yeah, he was that fucking good. Completely redefined the WR position...

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1348453401' post='1162431']
Everyone seems to have limited this to WR comparison.

James Brooks was probably the best all around weapon the Franchise has ever had.
[/quote]

Good point scharm... but if you limit this to WR's, Isaac Curtis was the best, plus he did it with class and style. Those who think Chad was the best probably don't know much about Curtis. Chad was very talented, but when he started thinking he was bigger than the game and became an assclown, he immediately lost top flight status with me.

Curtis acted like a pro, played like a pro, and was a team player all the way.

James Brooks was the best all around offensive player in my mind too. Did everything asked and volunteered to do more, was the pound-for-pound toughest player we ever had, and no one wanted to win more than him.

Archived