Oldtimers: Have the Bengals ever had a weapon like AJ Green?

I love AJ, but as someone else said, Isaac Curtis just played in the wrong era. Had incredible speed (AJ is fast, but not THAT fast), had terrific hands and man, with the ball in his hands, he was really something. AJ's bigger and stronger, and his ability to catch it when he's covered is unmatched for any Bengal receiver, although Carl Pickens comes close.

I remember one catch and run against the Houston Oilers that Isaac Curtis made when he made no less than 6 guys miss on the way to a TD - just an incredible play, and IIRC, on MNF which was the shit back in the day, it got the play of the year award.

It's almost impossible to compare players from one era to another but hearing my dad talk about Curtis makes me think that he is the best they've had. That being said, when AJ is done with football he may be in the top 5 WRs period. It's amazing to think he's a second year player with only one offseason. BEAST...

[quote name='RayDoggBengal' timestamp='1348450208' post='1162412']
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WfwNmpRB8-4[/media]

Isaac Curtis was one of the greatest receivers of all time. Isaac Curtis had world class speed running a 9.30 seconds in the 100 yard dash making him faster then the legendary Jesse Owens who ran it in 9.40 seconds. To help put that in a even better prospective Usain Bolt can run the 100 yard dash in the 8.9 range meaning Curtis was only around .4(Four Tenths of a Second) slower than Usain Bolt.
[/quote]

Was just gonna post this until saw you did.

I won't say that Green may not be better when all is said and done, but Ike was the greatest I've seen and I loved watching him play (even if he didn't have a neck). :lmao:

Kenny Anderson wasn't too shabby either.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1348459998' post='1162474']
Chad was better than Curtis. Chad simply performed better in relation to his peers with leading the conference 4 seasons straight.

Curtis I don't think ever did it once.
[/quote]

Chad was great in his prime, but Ike was better. I have a feeling AJ will be the greatest by the time his playing days are over though.

Comments on the youtube link to that Isaac Curtis video:
[list]
[*]

All I can say in addtion to being one of the Greatest Wide Recievers in the Game, he's my best friend. GB
[url="http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnel3AzUjbhB6rBkw8HZQjQ"]Gary Burley[/url] 1 month ago 3 [img]http://s.ytimg.com/yt/img/pixel-vfl3z5WfW.gif[/img]
[*]

Wow! This is amazing. Your Gary Burley the defensive end for the Bengals from 75 to 83. You had 80 tackles and 10 sacks in 1976. It's an honor to have you comment on my video.
[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/TheBengalsMind"]TheBengalsMind[/url] in reply to [url="http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnel3AzUjbhB6rBkw8HZQjQ"]Gary Burley[/url] 1 month ago
[/list]

Curtis is definitely the gold standard. AJ does have the potential to be the best ever, but Curtis is still #1 today. Heck, I remember us all imitating him and throwing the ball back over our heads when you scored a TD. Chad was really good for a while there, but he got more concerned with being an entertainer than being a football player.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WfwNmpRB8-4[/media]

Isaac Curtis was one of the greatest receivers of all time. Isaac Curtis had world class speed running a 9.30 seconds in the 100 yard dash making him faster then the legendary Jesse Owens who ran it in 9.40 seconds. To help put that in a even better prospective Usain Bolt can run the 100 yard dash in the 8.9 range meaning Curtis was only around .4(Four Tenths of a Second) slower than Usain Bolt.
[/quote]

Thank you, RAY DOGG, that made my day!

[/quote]

The last 2 plays on this video give you an idea of his greatness. The one against Houston was Andrew Hawkins like in his change of direction and speed, and he was 5 inches taller. And the hands he demonstrated on that last catch were just sick. I remember seeing that play when it happened.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1348459998' post='1162474']
Chad was better than Curtis. Chad simply performed better in relation to his peers with leading the conference 4 seasons straight.

Curtis I don't think ever did it once.
[/quote]

The Bengals didn't throw the ball nearly as much when Curtis was there as they did when Chad was.

Chad's career ypc is 14.4
Isaac's was 17.1

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1348616467' post='1163152']
The Bengals didn't throw the ball nearly as much when Curtis was there as they did when Chad was.

Chad's career ypc is 14.4
Isaac's was 17.1
[/quote]

And the season was shorter.

Chad's run was a great one, but to me he just stopped being even decent once his skills declined a little. Isaac was still a weapon when he was older, during our first Super Bowl year.

[quote name='Cat' timestamp='1348621482' post='1163190']
I don't even put Chad in the same league as Pickens. Despite what an asshole he was, he was an extremely talented MOFO.

Green has the potential to equal / surpass all of them. Curtis is the gold standard, though.
[/quote]

I'm glad someone else respects the things Pickens did. If it wasn't for other guys like Cris Carter and Jerry Rice, Pickens would have been considered near the top of the Widereceivers in the league.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1348433502' post='1162171']
He is like Randy Moss but with a good attitude. He has the speed and size of Chris Henry but the agility of a small dude. His hands are amazing. Bengals are really lucky to have him.

Have the Bengals ever had anyone like this? He makes everyone better. For example, on that Baby Hawk slant that went for a TD, the safety was doubling AJ clearing out the middle of the field.

He's glorious.
[/quote]

you nailed it, henry was the same physically, but not as developed and smart. green is a monster. he literally is our offense, he is what everyone pretended chad was.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1348625655' post='1163214']
I'm glad someone else respects the things Pickens did. If it wasn't for him playing for the Bengals, Pickens would have been considered near the top of the Widereceivers in the league.
[/quote]

fify

and on topic.. [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Curtis was the man... Pickens was a stud too.. i loved that dude.... Chad had all of the talent in the world, just not enough upstairs.. AJ seems to have enough to be the best of all of them though...[/font][/color]

Archived