31 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you voting for tomorrow

• Obama
    • Romney
    • Other
    • Not Voting

This poll is closed to new votes

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1352304426' post='1178467']
I don't know a lot about politics in general. I'd like to know more. Could you clarify this for me? I just don't understand how if for instance, Mitt gets more votes, why he shouldn't win? I'm under the impression that everyone's vote should count equally or it defeats the purpose of everyone's voice being heard.

BTW, I don't think either cat was/is going to turn this country around from the downward spiral it is in. I do know that social media will be much more bearable.
[/quote]

Basically, each state has a certain number of 'electoral votes'. Whoever wins the popular vote in that state, gets the electoral votes. So you could win the overall number of votes in the country (like Al Gore did in 2000) but if your opponent wins more states that have more electoral votes, he wins.

Scanning down through here a couple thoughts...

I don't understand why repubs would say shit about the popular vote - it means jack nothing. You lost - get over it. Because the dems did the same crap in 2000 doesn't make it right. Shut up.

I saw where Maine and Nebraska are two states that can split up their electoral votes. Why not mandate that to all states? Why don't they take whatever electoral votes are given to each state and designate / divide the state by that number and label them districts (quads, cells, whatever) and whatever the popular vote is within that area garners that electoral vote. Jamie said above that the attempt is to try and reach the rural areas... this would do it. There are states that lean STRONGLY one way or the other and the minority voters have to have a feeling that they're vote means little. Take Tennessee... it leans strong conservative. But in and around Memphis is a liberal strong-hold. If the electoral college had the votes broken up so that 1 or 2 of the votes went to that "cell" then those voters would feel an even stronger desire to vote I'd think. Would make their vote "mean" something as they could correlate it back to an actual electoral vote that went for their candidate... Same with California, Texas, etc.

Seems like it would be more representative of all the far-reaching places in this country and you have so much diversity within states it would let that state be more granular and not so "broad stroke"... I'm not an electoral college pro and don't want to claim to be and there may be negatives to doing something like this but was just a thought. States like Ohio would be perfect since you have metro Cleveland, Columbus, Dayton, and Cincy that lean left and more rural areas that lean right. Split each state's EC votes up.

Just so thankful there is no debate / conflict / argument. We have a cut and dried election.

I'm just glad Obama won both the electoral and the popular vote as well. The amazing thing to hear is that Rmoney won 62% of the white vote, just like GHWB, but lost. This country is becoming much more diverse, and as long as republicans ignore that fact, they will continue to lose.

Damn, 93% of black people voted for Obama.

[url="http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203347104578099361429417912.html?mod=WSJ__election_leftTopStories#project%3DEXITPOLLS2012%26articleTabs%3Dinteractive"]http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203347104578099361429417912.html?mod=WSJ__election_leftTopStories#project%3DEXITPOLLS2012%26articleTabs%3Dinteractive[/url]

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1352309621' post='1178490']
Damn, 93% of black people voted for Obama.

[url="http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203347104578099361429417912.html?mod=WSJ__election_leftTopStories#project%3DEXITPOLLS2012%26articleTabs%3Dinteractive"]http://online.wsj.co...abs=interactive[/url]
[/quote]

But according to a few here racism in this election is solely owned by those that supported Romney...

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' timestamp='1352307644' post='1178479']

I don't understand why repubs would say shit about the popular vote - it means jack nothing. You lost - get over it. Because the dems did the same crap in 2000 doesn't make it right. Shut up.

[b]I saw where Maine and Nebraska are two states that can split up their electoral votes. Why not mandate that to all states? Why don't they take whatever electoral votes are given to each state and designate / divide the state by that number and label them districts (quads, cells, whatever) and whatever the popular vote is within that area garners that electoral vote. Jamie said above that the attempt is to try and reach the rural areas... this would do it. There are states that lean STRONGLY one way or the other and the minority voters have to have a feeling that they're vote means little. Take Tennessee... it leans strong conservative. But in and around Memphis is a liberal strong-hold. If the electoral college had the votes broken up so that 1 or 2 of the votes went to that "cell" then those voters would feel an even stronger desire to vote I'd think. Would make their vote "mean" something as they could correlate it back to an actual electoral vote that went for their candidate... Same with California, Texas, etc.[/b]

Seems like it would be more representative of all the far-reaching places in this country and you have so much diversity within states it would let that state be more granular and not so "broad stroke"... I'm not an electoral college pro and don't want to claim to be and there may be negatives to doing something like this but was just a thought. States like Ohio would be perfect since you have metro Cleveland, Columbus, Dayton, and Cincy that lean left and more rural areas that lean right. Split each state's EC votes up.

Just so thankful there is no debate / conflict / argument. We have a cut and dried election.
[/quote]

My fear is that would lead to even more gerrymandering.....

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' timestamp='1352307644' post='1178479']

I saw where Maine and Nebraska are two states that can split up their electoral votes. Why not mandate that to all states? Why don't they take whatever electoral votes are given to each state and designate / divide the state by that number and label them districts (quads, cells, whatever) and whatever the popular vote is within that area garners that electoral vote. Jamie said above that the attempt is to try and reach the rural areas... this would do it. There are states that lean STRONGLY one way or the other and the minority voters have to have a feeling that they're vote means little. Take Tennessee... it leans strong conservative. But in and around Memphis is a liberal strong-hold. If the electoral college had the votes broken up so that 1 or 2 of the votes went to that "cell" then those voters would feel an even stronger desire to vote I'd think. Would make their vote "mean" something as they could correlate it back to an actual electoral vote that went for their candidate... Same with California, Texas, etc.

[/quote]

A true popular vote is definitely superior to the electoral college. Birch Bayh has been fighting it forever. I really hope it ceases to exist during my lifetime, because the ideas and reasons for its existence are totally antiquated.

Anyway, I wouldn't have been butthurt if Romney had taken the popular vote, because that's the way the system works.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' timestamp='1352309980' post='1178491']
But according to a few here racism in this election is solely owned by those that supported Romney...
[/quote]

It looks like black people voted more cause of race than white people.

Oh well, Asians were 75% Obama, and they are the smartest, so I'm happy Obama won.

[/quote]

Vol, 90% of African Americans vote Democrat regardless. Get some republicans that even remotely act like they care about black people and maybe they could get more votes.

[/quote]

Considering traditionally >90% of blacks vote democrat anyway.. A couple point up tick is not that significant.. I wonder what the uptick was for white votes for Romney in comparison to previous years, say Al Gore...

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1352312078' post='1178500']
Considering traditionally >90% of blacks vote democrat anyway.. A couple point up tick is not that significant.. I wonder what the uptick was for white votes for Romney in comparison to previous years, say Al Gore...
[/quote]

Found it.. 45% Gore, 55% Bush.

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1352312645' post='1178503']
Found it.. 45% Gore, 55% Bush.
[/quote]

So... that tells me what? That 10% more whites preferred the white republican than they did the white democrat?

[quote name='BigDawgBengal' timestamp='1352312663' post='1178504']
In 2004 88 percent of the black vote went for Kerry. 58 percent of the white vote went for Bush.

In 2008 95 percent of the black vote went for Obama. 55 percent of the white vote went for McCain.
[/quote]

This is more conducive for a discussion... 7% more blacks voted for Obama while 3% less whites voted for McCain... 7% in an election cycle is "significant" by any measure.

In case anyone was concerned, this did pass. :lol:

[quote]In Los Angeles County, voters were asked their opinion on whether or not actors in the adult film industry should be required to wear condoms and practice safe sex while shooting scenes in L.A. The Safer Sex in the Adult Film Industry Act, also called Measure B, was introduced in response to repetitive allegations of sexually transmitted disease outbreaks among adult film industry workers.[/quote]

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' timestamp='1352315858' post='1178513']
So... that tells me what? That 10% more whites preferred the white republican than they did the white democrat?

This is more conducive for a discussion... 7% more blacks voted for Obama while 3% less whites voted for McCain... 7% in an election cycle is "significant" by any measure.
[/quote]

Well, this year 62% of the white vote went for Rmoney. is that 7% significant enough to be called racists, since the 7% of black vote was last time?

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1352303942' post='1178466']
Still laughing at all the Rep's freaking out over the possibility of winning the pop and losing the election.. Mostly because turnabout is fair play, but also because it didn't even happen.
[/quote]

Turn about is fair play? So two wrongs make a right? How about we paraphrase Gallagher, "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts sure do."

[quote name='Elflocko' timestamp='1352267558' post='1178412']
I've not lived in Ohio for the better part of a decade and a half.

Is that still code for "I don't like black people"? :mellow:
[/quote]

wow.. way to play the race card.
No it's code for I hate lazy people and they're plenty of whites and Hispanics in there too

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1352340202' post='1178581']
You don't think that a race that has endured both slavery and then ridiculous segregation might just think that the black guy has more of it's best interests in mind then the Multi-millionaire white Mormon?
[/quote]

You don't think that a race that has endured both slavery and then ridiculous segregation might just think that the rich black guy statesman that can't make his own decisions is going to have their best interest in mind do you? You do understand how bad you're argument is right? Why would a white person vote for Obama then? Please don't perpetuate racism, there is already enough of it going around.

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1352305016' post='1178469']
Because in 2000 Gore won the popular vote and lost the election.. The Republicans seemed to think that was perfectly ok at the time.
[/quote]
Gotcha. Thank you and everyone else for clarifying. I wasn't old enough to remember it. I bet that was absolutely nuts.

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1352341220' post='1178588']
Gotcha. Thank you and everyone else for clarifying. I wasn't old enough to remember it. I bet that was absolutely nuts.
[/quote]

Well that wasn't even the biggest deal of the election. Florida which had then Governor Jeb Bush, brother of George Bush Jr., was the deciding state for the election. It was so close there was a recount, and the legality of what constituted a proper vote was taken to the Supreme Court. The Democrats believed many votes in their highest populated liberal areas were scrutinized too much allowing Bush to win the election. This election was close in the popular vote, but no where close to the clusterfuck that happened in the Bush-Gore election.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1352340937' post='1178584']
You don't think that a race that has endured both slavery and then ridiculous segregation might just think that the rich black guy statesman that can't make his own decisions is going to have their best interest in mind do you? You do understand how bad you're argument is right? Why would a white person vote for Obama then? Please don't perpetuate racism, there is already enough of it going around.
[/quote]

You don't understand what it means for an entire race that has been shit upon for centuries to now have a black man as president.

[quote name='cnbengal' timestamp='1352339142' post='1178578']
wow.. way to play the race card.
No it's code for I hate lazy people and they're plenty of whites and[b] Hispanics[/b] in there too
[/quote]

Whoa, 2 out 3.

Easy there Himmler...

Archived