2013 Draft and Free Agency

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1355158823' post='1191331']
[b]Linebacker with coverage ability, plz.[/b]

Defensive playmakers are the most obvious need. We have the ability to get to the quarterback, now we need the ability to either intercept the ball when it goes down the field or a linebacker to cover the checkdowns and the tight end so they have to throw the ball down the field.
[/quote]

Sounds like Mosley to me.

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1355158823' post='1191331']
Linebacker with coverage ability, plz.

[/quote]

Why are these so damned hard to find? I'm not sure we've ever had one since Marvin has been here. Is that coaching or is it that difficult to find a good coverage linebacker?

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1355171822' post='1191420']
Why are these so damned hard to find? I'm not sure we've ever had one since Marvin has been here. Is that coaching or is it that difficult to find a good coverage linebacker?
[/quote]

IMO part of it is that its a dying breed. Spread offenses breed smaller, quicker WR's and TE's who are basically oversized WR's. Both are much harder for traditional LB's to cover.

Not sure if anyone mentioned this previously, but Marcus Lattimore is going to enter the draft. I'd love to take a flier on him in the middle rounds. We have a deep roster and could afford to gamble with one of those picks and put him on PUP or IR to start next season. He may never fully come back, but if he did, he'd be absolutely perfect for this offense. He has the power of BJGE but also has much more speed and is very natural catching the ball.

Sort of like with Sanu and Jones last year, it could make a lot of sense to take two RBs in the middle rounds instead of using an early pick on one.

[quote name='happyrid' timestamp='1355173588' post='1191432']
Not sure if anyone mentioned this previously, but Marcus Lattimore is going to enter the draft. I'd love to take a flier on him in the middle rounds. We have a deep roster and could afford to gamble with one of those picks and put him on PUP or IR to start next season. He may never fully come back, but if he did, he'd be absolutely perfect for this offense. He has the power of BJGE but also has much more speed and is very natural catching the ball.

Sort of like with Sanu and Jones last year, it could make a lot of sense to take two RBs in the middle rounds instead of using an early pick on one.
[/quote]

Why draft two RBs when we really only need take one at the most? We already have BJGE and Peerman showing up.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1355171822' post='1191420']
[/quote]
Think we had one in B.Johnson. Letting him walk was a mistake and I think it shows with how teams are dink and dunking us down the field.

ETA:
Or Thomas Howard, whom was a nickel backer. I just thought Brandon Johnson made plays when we needed them. Was a mistake to let him go.

not sure I bring that personality in, but FYI.

[url="https://twitter.com/KyleBonagura"][s]@[/s][b]KyleBonagura[/b][/url][color=#333333][font=Arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]: Source: Brandon Jacobs is no longer with the[/background][/font][/color][url="https://twitter.com/search?q=%2349ers&src=hash"][s]#[/s][b]49ers[/b][/url][color=#333333][font=Arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)].[/background][/font][/color]

[quote name='EnglishBengal' timestamp='1355173848' post='1191433']
Why draft two RBs when we really only need take one at the most? We already have BJGE and Peerman showing up.
[/quote]

1. We usually keep 4 RBs. Both Brian Leonard and Bernard Scott are FAs and getting older. If both are very good, there is room.

2. The guy I mentioned specifically, Marcus Lattimore, probably won't be ready to play by the start of next season anyway. He is more of a "redshirt" candidate who could be a big-time performer in 2014. You can afford to draft him if you get another RB that can make a more immediate impact. (For example, despite a lot of depth at CB, the Bengals took a 2nd CB, Shaun Prater in the 5th round last year. There were some rumors he had a nagging injury that might require surgery for a while. I wouldn't be surprised if the Bengals took him knowing that there was a big chance they'd just IR him and use him in 2013 when Jones, Newman, and Clements are all set to hit FA.)

3. When you are talking about mid-late round RBs, most of them don't pan out. Say there's a 20-30% chance that they end up developing into a starting caliber guy. Having two shots at that is better than 1. Some people buy 2 lotto tickets even though they don't need to win the jackpot twice. They do it to increase their odds of hitting it big one time. That analogy is a stretch, but I do think that is how you have to look at it sometimes.

4. The Bengals have actually developed a very deep roster. There's a good chance that anyone we draft in rounds 5, 6 and 7 don't make the roster and end up on the practice squad. RB is one of the very few positions where the depth is severely lacking.

5. RBs get injured far more than other positions. If you go to camp with only 3 decent options, chances are you end up in a real bind because at least 1 RB always seems to get hurt in the preseason. If you want 4 on the roster, you probably need to go to camp with 5 or 6 decent options.

[quote name='happyrid' timestamp='1355178885' post='1191453']
1. We usually keep 4 RBs. Both Brian Leonard and Bernard Scott are FAs and getting older. If both are very good, there is room.

2. The guy I mentioned specifically, Marcus Lattimore, probably won't be ready to play by the start of next season anyway. He is more of a "redshirt" candidate who could be a big-time performer in 2014. You can afford to draft him if you get another RB that can make a more immediate impact. (For example, despite a lot of depth at CB, the Bengals took a 2nd CB, Shaun Prater in the 5th round last year. There were some rumors he had a nagging injury that might require surgery for a while. I wouldn't be surprised if the Bengals took him knowing that there was a big chance they'd just IR him and use him in 2013 when Jones, Newman, and Clements are all set to hit FA.)

3. When you are talking about mid-late round RBs, most of them don't pan out. Say there's a 20-30% chance that they end up developing into a starting caliber guy. Having two shots at that is better than 1. Some people buy 2 lotto tickets even though they don't need to win the jackpot twice. They do it to increase their odds of hitting it big one time. That analogy is a stretch, but I do think that is how you have to look at it sometimes.

4. The Bengals have actually developed a very deep roster. There's a good chance that anyone we draft in rounds 5, 6 and 7 don't make the roster and end up on the practice squad. RB is one of the very few positions where the depth is severely lacking.

5. RBs get injured far more than other positions. If you go to camp with only 3 decent options, chances are you end up in a real bind because at least 1 RB always seems to get hurt in the preseason. If you want 4 on the roster, you probably need to go to camp with 5 or 6 decent options.
[/quote]

great post

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1355180072' post='1191458']
The way Bennie has been running lately, if we can add someone like Kenjon Barner I'll be happy.
[/quote]

Yeah, I think a speed back is probably the biggest need on offense as long as Andre is kept. Should be able to get a good one in the third round or so.
i wouldn't go so far as to say RB is the only need on offense, but it's pretty close when you consider the emergence of guys like Jones, Hawkins, Sanu, Robinson, Boling, etc. Very few needs on O. Should be able to go D withe the first two or three picks and the address RB.

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1355174174' post='1191436']

Think we had one in B.Johnson. Letting him walk was a mistake and I think it shows with how teams are dink and dunking us down the field.

ETA:
Or Thomas Howard, whom was a nickel backer. I just thought Brandon Johnson made plays when we needed them. Was a mistake to let him go.
[/quote]

BJ was a good player, a versatile guy. But losing Thomas Howard, to me, really hurt this defense the most. Best coverage LB they have had in a long, long time. I think Lamur, maybe with another offseason, can give you what Brandon gave you.

[quote name='happyrid' timestamp='1355181991' post='1191466']

Yeah, I think a speed back is probably the biggest need on offense as long as Andre is kept. Should be able to get a good one in the third round or so.
i wouldn't go so far as to say RB is the only need on offense, but it's pretty close when you consider the emergence of guys like Jones, Hawkins, Sanu, Robinson, Boling, etc. Very few needs on O. Should be able to go D withe the first two or three picks and the address RB.
[/quote][quote name='happyrid' timestamp='1355181991' post='1191466']

[/quote]

X2.

And I'd love Kenjon Barner... Would be a great change of pace guy, and this year, he's carried the ball a lot more for Oregon. Getting Lattimore later on would be a risk, but they'd have the luxury of rehabbing him for awhile. He hadn't made it all the way back this fall and it's gonna take some time, but it worked for Frank Gore and McGahee, so no reason it couldn't here.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1355180072' post='1191458']
The way Bennie has been running lately, if we can add someone like Kenjon Barner I'll be happy.
[/quote]
Yeh Barner is my fave rb prospect. He's the missing piece of our offense. What's underrated about him is his power running between the tackles for someone so small. He's also an excellent receiving threat.

I think some positions we need to address in the draft is:

- A speedy RB who could maybe also return kicks
- Always look at some WRs in the later rounds
- DE to rotate in
- Maybe 2-3 LBs that can make plays all over the field
- Maybe another CB to go along with Hall and Dre
- Safety to go along with Nelson or another as well
- Kicker to put pressure on Nugent/Brown

[quote name='VBurfict55' timestamp='1355201443' post='1191545']
I think some positions we need to address [b]in the draft[/b] is:

- DE to rotate in
- [b]Kicker to put pressure on Nugent/Brown[/b]
[/quote]

You don't waste a draft pick on a kicker for competition. You sign a CFA.

You only draft a kicker if you plan on him being The Guy.

[quote name='VBurfict55' timestamp='1355201443' post='1191545']
I think some positions we need to address in the draft is:

- DE to rotate in
- Kicker to put pressure on Nugent/Brown
[/quote]

outside of kicker, I agree. Need a longterm safety, at least one starting linebacker, DE depth depending on what happens in free agency, and another playmaker on offense whether it be a RB, WR or tweener guy.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1355187853' post='1191488']
Barner or Lache Seastrunk would be cool to add to the Bengals. They both have home run ability.
[/quote]

Joseph Randle is another one I'd like to have if he leaves OK St...good size, good speed, good hands.

Archived