2013 Draft and Free Agency

[quote name='happyrid' timestamp='1354075730' post='1185867']
Here is my favorite LB from the upcoming draft, Khaseem Greene from Rutgers. He is a converted Safety, so he is great in pass coverage, but he is also really physical and a great pass rusher. He was Big East Defensive POY last season. He's projected as a late 2nd rounder to mid 3rd rounder. He's #20 with the dreads

[url="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k2n2iXjoUms"]http://m.youtube.com...h?v=k2n2iXjoUms[/url]
[/quote]

Thats Lamur's story to a T

[quote name='sparky151' timestamp='1354222459' post='1186285']
If he has good workouts and interviews, he'll go in the first round. Lots of teams kicking themselves for passing on Janoris Jenkins will see Mathieu as a second chance.
[/quote]

while I think Mathieu is a punk, his off the field baggage doesn't seem quite as bad as Jenkins'.

[quote name='sparky151' timestamp='1354222459' post='1186285']
If he has good workouts and interviews, he'll go in the first round. Lots of teams kicking themselves for passing on Janoris Jenkins will see Mathieu as a second chance.
[/quote]

I don't think there's a chance that happens. Even without his off field issues I don't think he was going in the first.

[quote name='gatorclaws' timestamp='1354222738' post='1186287']
I don't think there's a chance that happens. Even without his off field issues I don't think he was going in the first.
[/quote]

Mathieu has lots of good tape, as Jenkins did, vs top opponents. Aaron Murray might be the #1 overall pick yet Mathieu dominated the SEC championship game last year.

He's undersized, but if he is available with the early second or if the first is late enough, I'd jump all over it. The kid is a ballplayer. We need more of those and less workout warriors. It sounds like he has some problems, but if he can work them out, he would easily be a center fielder in the mold of Ed Reed. Not saying he will be as good, he just plays the same way. Fearless.

I'd love for the dude to be on our side. He would fix our safety problems year 1.

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1354223675' post='1186293']
He's undersized, but if he is available with the early second or if the first is late enough, I'd jump all over it. The kid is a ballplayer. We need more of those and less workout warriors. It sounds like he has some problems, but if he can work them out, he would easily be a center fielder in the mold of Ed Reed. Not saying he will be as good, he just plays the same way. Fearless.

I'd love for the dude to be on our side. He would fix our safety problems year 1.
[/quote]

mathieu was a corner though. gimme his former teammate who already knows how to play safety.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt8M8cCqoYw

I think he is better suited playing centerfield. You cannot teach instincts like what Tyrann has. Putting him on one side of the ball doesn't make sense. Let him track down deep balls, play sideline to sideline, and let him knock some heads all over the field.

[color=#333333][font=Arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]
[url="https://twitter.com/DraftCountdown"][b]Scott Wright[/b] ‏[size=3][s]@[/s][b]DraftCountdown[/b][/size][/url][/background][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=Arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]
At this point [url="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23LSU&src=hash"][s]#[/s][b]LSU[/b][/url] CB Tyrann Mathieu is a possible mid-to-late rounder but will be left off many draft boards all together.[/background][/font][/color]

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1354226703' post='1186309']

[color=#333333][font=Arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)][url="https://twitter.com/DraftCountdown"][b]Scott Wright[/b] ‏[size=3][s]@[/s][b]DraftCountdown[/b][/size][/url][/background][/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]At this point [url="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23LSU&src=hash"][s]#[/s][b]LSU[/b][/url] CB Tyrann Mathieu is a possible mid-to-late rounder but will be left off many draft boards all together.[/background][/font][/color]
[/quote]

Wasn't Janoris Jenkins kind of in the same situation? Initially people thought they could get him later on due to his troubles but he ended up going fairly high...higher than many expected. May be the case with Mathieu also as fast CBs with good ball skills are in demand.

[quote name='happyrid' timestamp='1354035170' post='1185579']
I'll also add that I think this draft is strongest at the Safety and DE positions. There are more top 100 type guys at Safety than there have been in at least the past 5 years. And I think there are almost a dozen DEs who could go in the top 40 or 50 picks. LB is probably a little above average also.

The one position that we need that looks a little weak is RB. I don't see any 1st rounders and I'm not totally sold on anyone as a 2nd rounder even, though I'm sure at least a couple guys will probably emerge as 2nd rounders. This RB class points more towards us using a mid-round pick on a #2 or #3 RB.
[/quote]

While I agree with the top end at RB but I like this crop of RB more than any one in the last 5 years. Tons of really good backs will be there in the middle of the draft. Lacy, Franklin, Barner, Graham, Bernard, Ellington, Gillislee. I like Cierre Wood in the late rounds as well.

I wouldn't spend much in outside free agency. I'd save it for extending internal guys - Andre Smith, Geno Atkins, Carlos Dunlap, Michael Johnson and I'd seriously consider Gradkowski, Sims (dependant upon the development of Still and especially Thompson's) , Gilberry, Geathers and Howard also. I'd let Scott, Binns, Tate, Maualuga and Lawson walk. I'd keep Wharton for another year, even though there might be some temptation to cut him with the young guys development. Love veteran OL depth.

My draft priorities would be:

2 LB's - a high round OLB and a mid-round ILB (or a FA) (Maybe all three)
DE - early round if they don't re-sign MJohnson AND Geathers - although another pass rusher is always welcome
WR - I'd let Binns and Tate walk and grab a big-play guy to go across from AJ with Jones on the outside and use Sanu, Hawkins and Jones in the slot.
DB - looks like safety could go deeper with quality than last year - I'd grab one in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th. Another young CB or safety in the mid-to-late rounds might be nice. I think Leon will be fully back next yr.
RB - someone capable of breaking big'uns (although I do like what I am seeing from Peerman) - I'd check FA's here too though
OT - a young developmental guy who can play either side - mid-round
QB - if there's a guy that they like as a developmental project, I would mind it from the 3rd Rd on to groom as a future #2 behind Dalton.
TE - an all-round guy to provide depth behind Gresham and Charles - late round or CFA is fine

1st round pick - if they can still get a guy they want (ala Zeitler), I would not be against it at all if they can pick up another quality pick (3rd or 4th).
My top three picks would be.

Sounds crazy, but the guy I'd really like to land is Cordarrelle Patterson (WR/KR) Tennessee, although I expect him to really shoot up the boards after the Combine. I'd love to have Te'o Manti, but hopefully we'll be picking too late in the draft to take him. Sam Montgomery (DE) LSU, Dion Jordan (DE) Oregon, CJ Mosely (OLB) Alabama are other possibilities when we pick..

There are RB's and safeties I like in the 2nd or 3rd Rd. Not really any I like enough to spend a 1st on though

[b]***EDIT*** If, for some reason, they don't resign Smith, OT becomes a 1st or 2nd Rd (or FA) priority.[/b]

[quote name='snarkster' timestamp='1354246078' post='1186364']
I wouldn't spend much in outside free agency. I'd save it for extending internal guys - Andre Smith, Geno Atkins, Carlos Dunlap, Michael Johnson and I'd seriously consider Gradkowski, Sims (dependant upon the development of Still and especially Thompson's development), Gilberry, Geathers and Howard also. I'd let Scott, Binns, Tate, Maualuga and Lawson walk. I'd keep Wharton for another year, even though there migt be some temptation to cut him with the young guys development. Love veteran depth.

My draft priorities would be:

2 LB's - a high round OLB and a mid-round ILB (or a FA) (Maybe all three)
DE- early round if they don't re-sign MJohnson AND Geathers - althouhg another pass rush is always welcome
WR - I'd let Binns and Tate walk and grab a big-play guy to go across from AJ with Jones on the outside and use Sanu, Hawkins and Jones in the slot.
DB - looks like safety could go deeper with quality than last year. A young CB or safety in the mid-to-late rounds might be nice.
RB - someone capable of breaking big'uns (although I do like what I am seeing from Peerman) - I'd check FA's here too though
OT - a young developmental guy who can play either side - mid-round
QB - if there's a guy that they like as a developmental project, I would mind it from the 3rd Rd on to groom as a future #2 behind Dalton.
TE - an all-round guy to provide depth behind Gresham and Charles - late round or CFA is fine

1st round pick - if they can still get a guy they want (ala Zeitler), I would not be against it at all if they can pick up another quality pick (3rd or 4th).
My top three picks would be.

Sounds crazy, but the guy I'd really like to land is Cordarrelle Patterson (WR/KR) Tennessee, although I expect him to really shoot up the boards after the Combine. I'd love to have Te'o Manti, but hopefully we'll be picking too late in the draft to take him. Sam Montgomery (DE) LSU, Dion Jordan (DE) Oregon, CJ Mosely (OLB) Alabama are other possibilities when we pick..

There are RB's and safeties I like in the 2nd or 3rd Rd. Not really any I like enough to spend a 1st on though
[/quote]

Agree with pretty much everything. We need a WR, DE, S and LB with the first 3 picks, which creates an obvious mathematical problem. The one FA signing I'd be willing to make is to fill the left-out position. If we resign MJ, I could see a OLB/DE hybrid type possibly killing two birds with one stone there (the Barr discussion yesterday is apropos).

[quote name='Mikey6866' timestamp='1354240486' post='1186351']
While I agree with the top end at RB but I like this crop of RB more than any one in the last 5 years. Tons of really good backs will be there in the middle of the draft. Lacy, Franklin, Barner, Graham, Bernard, Ellington, Gillislee. I like Cierre Wood in the late rounds as well.
[/quote]

We'll see who declares, but I don't think it compares to some of the recent drafts. Last year had a couple absolute studs in Richardson and Martin. Wilson will probably end up being really good also. Richardson for the Rams has looked good as has Turbin for the Seahawks. Guys like Pead, James, Hillman, etc. will probably get their shot next year. I see a lot of #2 RBs in this upcoming draft, which is fine because that's what we need. But I don't see a single guy who I'd bet money on being a top 10 RB like Martin and Richardson.

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1354231433' post='1186331']
..And that is why I am never going to be an NFL scout. The dude was the top playmaker in college football. I'm surprised he is rated that low.
[/quote]

I think it comes down to position and how he'd translate to the NFL. He made most of his plays at LSU blitzing from the CB or S spot or ripping the ball out of WRs hand down the field.

Scouting reports I've seen say he's mediocre in coverage and probably won't be able to play CB in the NFL. And at 5'9 180, he's probably too small to play Safety. That's why even if he was an angel off the field, he wasn't going to be a 1st rounder.

All that being said, I'd be all for drafting him in the 4th round or so and bringing him in to see what he could do. Like you said, he just has a knack for making plays. I think you could probably find a role for him on 3rd downs. You could put him on the slot WR and let him blitz from that spot pretty regularly. He'd also likely be very good on special teams. And maybe he could eventually develop into a starter at CB or S if he improved his coverage skills with some NFL coaching.

[quote name='happyrid' timestamp='1354259424' post='1186386']
I think it comes down to position and how he'd translate to the NFL. He made most of his plays at LSU blitzing from the CB or S spot or ripping the ball out of WRs hand down the field.

Scouting reports I've seen say he's mediocre in coverage and probably won't be able to play CB in the NFL. And at 5'9 180, he's probably too small to play Safety. That's why even if he was an angel off the field, he wasn't going to be a 1st rounder.

All that being said, I'd be all for drafting him in the 4th round or so and bringing him in to see what he could do. Like you said, he just has a knack for making plays. I think you could probably find a role for him on 3rd downs. You could put him on the slot WR and let him blitz from that spot pretty regularly. He'd also likely be very good on special teams. And maybe he could eventually develop into a starter at CB or S if he improved his coverage skills with some NFL coaching.
[/quote]

Mathieu would have matchup problems with some of the bigger receivers if lined up outside. On the other hand he would probably do well on slot guys. He has some similarities to Pacman who was a top 10 pick. The repeated drug use is his biggest issue, not his size or style of play. He strips the ball like Charles Tillman and is an elite punt returner.

[quote name='sparky151' timestamp='1354267969' post='1186388']

Mathieu would have matchup problems with some of the bigger receivers if lined up outside. On the other hand he would probably do well on slot guys. He has some similarities to Pacman who was a top 10 pick. The repeated drug use is his biggest issue, not his size or style of play. He strips the ball like Charles Tillman and is an elite punt returner.
[/quote]

Yeah as others stated, he's got the great instincts and playmaking ability that a lot of guys just don't have. He doesn't have elite speed, but I think he can play... Somewhere.

Look at Devin Hester - he didn't have a position other than returner, and he eventually played some WR, but he had a huge impact on the Bears' success as a ST guy. He did have the elite speed and acceleration, which obviously helped, but I think at the very least, Tyrann could have impact as a return guy, gunner, and part time DB.

Archived