Steelers Week, Part Deux

I want to see what happens with Ike Taylor this week.

The truth of the matter is the game against Dallas didn't mean anything to Pittsburgh. The games against us and Cleveland are it. That's why I think it's possible they shut down Taylor completely this week in the hope he can return against us.... Sure hope he can't.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1355716969' post='1194734']
If there's something as good as seeing the Bengals get into the playoffs, it's seeing Pittsburgh not making it. To get both would be an awesome season.
[/quote]

Couldn't have said it any better.

It's time to show this division is ours and will be ours for years to come

[quote name='VBurfict55' timestamp='1355717165' post='1194735']

Couldn't have said it any better.

It's time to show this division is ours and will be ours for years to come
[/quote]

Taking both would be huge but the only thing I need to be satisfied is this win against Pittsburgh.

And in no way am I accepting mediocrity or being #2 or being fine with Baltimore taking the division. Of course I'd love to see them take it but I'm a realist and a takeover, especially one such as what Balt and Pitt have had, it takes time. This division has to be the toughest in football if you take the last five years into consideration.

I just want my team in the playoffs. Win out, back in, who gives a shit? Get in there and try to make some noise. Get a playoff W, let the young guys taste it. Maybe it would roll into 3-4 straight and a championship. If Pitt and Balt can do it, Cincinnati can too. Who Dey! Beat the fuck out of these Steelers!

This team needs to beat Pittsburgh next Sunday and not become unraveled in the process of doing so. Pittsburgh is more beatable right now then they have ever been due to age, injuries and the ascendancy of our team and it's youth movement. It's time to put away the voodoo dolls and just knock the snot out of them.

Not to mention, that momentum accompanied with beating the snot out of the Ravens, who absolutely embarrassed week 1, could give us the momentum we need heading into the playoffs. Instead of backing ourselves in like the previous three times this past decade, we are kicking the door down and taking no prisoners.

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1355718527' post='1194742']
This team needs to beat Pittsburgh next Sunday and not become unraveled in the process of doing so. Pittsburgh is more beatable right now then they have ever been due to age, injuries and the ascendancy of our team and it's youth movement. It's time to put away the voodoo dolls and just knock the snot out of them.
[/quote]

Perfectly said

Ancient history, I know, but from 1980 to 1990, the Bengals were 15-6 against the Stealers. Here's the breakdown of Bengals records that includes the years before and after that 15-6 run:

1970-79: 6-14
1980-90: 15-6
1991-pres: 11-33

The 1975 and 1976 Bengals went 0-4 vs Stealers and 21-3 against the rest of the NFL! Can a case be made that the Bengals were the second-best team in the NFL for one or both of those seasons?

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1355719659' post='1194753']
Not to mention, that momentum accompanied with beating the snot out of the Ravens, who absolutely embarrassed week 1, could give us the momentum we need heading into the playoffs. Instead of backing ourselves in like the previous three times this past decade, we are kicking the door down and taking no prisoners.
[/quote]

We did win the division once. Can't back up when there's cars behind ya!!

:)

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1355719659' post='1194753']
[/quote]

I want to win this game against the Steelers then stomp the Ravens. That week 1 match up still leaves a bad taste. Yes, bengals got their ass whooped but the Ravens were Super cocky. Strutting and skipping around after they made tackles. Hitting well past whistle.

[quote name='Bleeds Orange' timestamp='1355721484' post='1194763']
Ancient history, I know, but from 1980 to 1990, the Bengals were 15-6 against the Stealers. Here's the breakdown of Bengals records that includes the years before and after that 15-6 run:

1970-79: 6-14
1980-90: 15-6
1991-pres: 11-33

The 1975 and 1976 Bengals went 0-4 vs Stealers and 21-3 against the rest of the NFL! Can a case be made that the Bengals were the second-best team in the NFL for one or both of those seasons?
[/quote]

Prior to the death of Paul Brown and then Mike Brown the bengals has a winning record Head to Head against all division opponents, I believe. Steelers, Browns, and Oilers.

I've said I think the 1975 is probably the Best ever Bengal football team. But it's hard to get anyone to buy it over the Superbowl teams.

Aside from the late 80s. Just about everything successful thing this organization has done on the field meant taking it away from the Steelers.

The reality is the division was ours for the taking this year. Young team with plenty of speed, solid lines and more depth than either Baltimore or the Stealers. The cold hard fact is we lost games we had no business losing and well coached teams do NOT do that multiple times during the season, particularly at home. Sure, on any given Sunday is a fact of life in the NFL but we had no business losing to Cleveland, Miami and Dallas last weekend. We should have won at least one of those games and not found us in this spot of having to go to Pittspuke and win. Good teams don't drop more than one of these during the season and we did it 3 times. Baltimore and Pisspuke are not good teams this year. Age caught up with them and it should have been an easy move for us to the top of the division.

Watching the game yesterday, I wasn't impressed. Matchups where I thought the Stoolers were superior - especially their front 3 plus rush LBs vs. the Cowboys' OL - they didn't win.

The Bengals' OL needs to get better with handling stunts and doing a better job with getting leverage against the smaller Stooler rushers than last week, but I think the Bengals are superior up-front in both matchups (especially Bengal DL vs. Pitt OL). And with a much improved running game, and AJ playing against lesser and/or recently nicked CBs, those are favorable situations, too.

Steelers will have Ryan Clark and #43 back, which will help them. But IMO the Bengals can, and should win... regardless of venue.

[quote name='texbengal' timestamp='1355757644' post='1194835']
Watching the game yesterday, I wasn't impressed. Matchups where I thought the Stoolers were superior - especially their front 3 plus rush LBs vs. the Cowboys' OL - they didn't win.

The Bengals' OL needs to get better with handling stunts and doing a better job with getting leverage against the smaller Stooler rushers than last week, but I think the Bengals are superior up-front in both matchups (especially Bengal DL vs. Pitt OL). And with a much improved running game, and AJ playing against lesser and/or recently nicked CBs, those are favorable situations, too.

Steelers will have Ryan Clark and #43 back, which will help them. But IMO the Bengals can, and should win... regardless of venue.
[/quote]

We should go to a hurry up offense and run those old fucks off the field. They have 6 starters on defense 32 or older. Polamalu looked very old yesterday. There is no reason to let these guys catch their breath on any series.

[quote name='SF2' timestamp='1355758336' post='1194839']
We should go to a hurry up offense and run those old fucks off the field. They have 6 starters on defense 32 or older. Polamalu looked very old yesterday. There is no reason to let these guys catch their breath on any series.
[/quote]

not to mention this offense plays better when its running their no-huddle package.

[/quote]

A healthy dose of the running game will wear them down too.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1355754650' post='1194816']
I want to win this game against the Steelers then stomp the Ravens. That week 1 match up still leaves a bad taste. Yes, bengals got their ass whooped but the Ravens were Super cocky. Strutting and skipping around after they made tackles. Hitting well past whistle.
[/quote]

Ravens arent the same team they were in week 1 imo, I think they have regressed, I like our chances in that game, it's this week's game that worries me.

The main obstacle will be Worthlessburger himself, and trying to keep him contained. He's still dangerous if given a chance. Given, our D is playing better than the previous matchup. But the key will be our defensive backs keeping a lengthy lock on opposing receivers for every 4-5 seconds extra Big Jen finds in the pocket. That's how we won in 2009 - coverage sacks!

[quote name='SF2' timestamp='1355756509' post='1194827']
The reality is the division was ours for the taking this year. Young team with plenty of speed, solid lines and more depth than either Baltimore or the Stealers. The cold hard fact is we lost games we had no business losing and well coached teams do NOT do that multiple times during the season, particularly at home. Sure, on any given Sunday is a fact of life in the NFL but we had no business losing to Cleveland, Miami and Dallas last weekend. We should have won at least one of those games and not found us in this spot of having to go to Pittspuke and win. Good teams don't drop more than one of these during the season and we did it 3 times. Baltimore and Pisspuke are not good teams this year. Age caught up with them and it should have been an easy move for us to the top of the division.
[/quote]

While I agree with you about the teams we shouldn't have lost to, I'm not sure I thought we were the favorite for the division this year, I feel like were another good draft away from that.

I do think we should have been as clear cut favorite for the Wild Card as the Colts are right now, and that should have never been in question, though.

[/quote]
[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1355758433' post='1194841']
not to mention this offense plays better when its running their no-huddle package.
[/quote]

So much this. Keep the tempo fast paced and dont let up.

[b] [url="http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/61483/big-ben-sounds-unhappy-with-haleys-calls"]Big Ben sounds unhappy with Haley's calls[/url][/b]

December, 17, 2012
9:55
AM ET
By [url="http://search.espn.go.com/jamison-hensley/"] Jamison Hensley[/url] | ESPN.com

After throwing the game-changing interception in the 27-24 overtime loss in Dallas, Steelers quarterback [url="http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/5536/ben-roethlisberger"]Ben Roethlisberger[/url] accepted responsibility for the team's fourth loss in five games. "Absolutely, 100 percent, this is on me," he said.

Well, if you listen to Roethlisberger's comments that followed, he doesn't think he's totally at fault. He hinted that some of the blame should fall on offensive coordinator Todd Haley.
Roethlisberger was asked why tight end [url="http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/8444/heath-miller"]Heath Miller[/url] didn't have one pass thrown his way in the second half after catching six passes for 85 yards and one touchdown in the first half. “I just don‘t think we called the right plays to get him the ball," Roethlisberger said.

He then received a question about the lack of the no-huddle. After pausing for a few seconds, Roethlisberger said, "That‘s tough for me to answer right now. In the second half, we really didn‘t do much of it and that‘s disappointing.”

The [url="http://triblive.com/sports/dejankovacevic/dejancolumns/3144653-74/roethlisberger-haley-miller#axzz2FI6bR4Il"]Pittsburgh Tribune-Review[/url]'s Dejan Kovacevic called this "a 100-percent legitimate, non-manufactured quarterback vs. coordinator controversy."

I wouldn't go that far. I wouldn't call this a controversy or a feud yet. These comments are candid but not overly critical. He questions the play calling but doesn't really call out Haley. Roethlisberger clearly sounds unhappy, and it's true he never made the same type of remarks about his friend Bruce Arian. (Side note: Arian has the Colts sitting two games ahead of Pittsburgh and the Indianapolis offense ranked in the top 10.) But Roethlisberger should be unhappy. The Steelers are 7-7 and out of the playoffs if the regular season ended today.

Now, you might be wondering why Roethlisberger is questioning the play calling after he threw for 339 yards and two touchdowns. That's because Roethlisberger looked like the old Roethlisberger in Dallas. He was escaping pressure and spinning away from rushers before chucking the ball deep downfield. That's what happened when he hit Miller for a 30-yard touchdown at the end of the first half.

What Roethlisberger and the Steelers really need to ask themselves is whether they can get back on track. Despite all of the struggles lately, Pittsburgh can still make the playoffs by winning its final two games -- home games against the Bengals and Browns. This won't happen if the disconnect between Roethlisberger and Haley becomes a bigger issue.

[color=#333333][font=Arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]
[url="https://twitter.com/GeoffHobsonCin"][b]Geoff Hobson[/b] ‏[size=3][s]@[/s][b]GeoffHobsonCin[/b][/size][/url][/background][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=Arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]
[url="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Bengals&src=hash"][s]#[/s][b]Bengals[/b][/url]-Steelers get No. 1 CBS announcing team of Nantz and Sims[/background][/font][/color]

[url="https://twitter.com/GeoffHobsonCin"][b]Geoff Hobson[/b] ‏[size=3][s]@[/s][b]GeoffHobsonCin[/b][/size][/url]
After 3 prime-time games, [url="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Bengals&src=hash"][s]#[/s][b]Bengals[/b][/url] get No. 1 CBS team of Nantz and Simms for first time this season.

They were letting the Pittsburgh OL mug the Dallas pass rushers through a lot of that game. Considering that was in Dallas, expect them to straight-up tackle Geno in Pittsburgh - when they aren't trying to roll onto his knees. They're a team coached to play dirty and they're desperate. They're going to take cheap shots and get away with it, it's what "Stiler Footbaw" is all about. Convincing our guys to play through that crap without losing composure is going to be a huge test for our coaches.

During the Marvin Lewis era he has proven time and time again that he cannot consistently field a winner. That said, I believe this is the biggest game of his head coaching career and a must win. He has to prove to the fans and to this young team that he can lead them to a victory and that as a team they can go out and beat the "elite" franchises in this league in any given week. They must call an aggressive game on both sides, they ABSOLUTELY CANNOT abandon the run if it is working, and they MUST get AJ and Hawk involved early and often. The D-Line maintaining gap responsibliities and not over pursuing is key. The penalties must be cleaned up... especially the personal foul calls. To win this game in their house with their backs against the wall is going to require 60 minutes of flawless football. The Bengals need to perform like they did against the Giants to have any shot at winning this game.

Archived