Perhaps I'm being absurd on this one, but does it bother anyone else that guys like Peyton and Eli, with all they have accomplished, still felt the need to stage an off-season mini-camp with some of their receivers to get a jump-start before team activities begin, yet Dalton and our WR's couldn't find a couple of days to get together?

I know Dalton threw to Gresham, but we have a young QB and inexperienced WR's we'll be counting on this season. Would't it make sense to at least put out the perception that you're willing to do anything to get better? God knows our passing game could use the work. 

I don't know it just bothers me that 2 hall of fame QB's with Super Bowl Rings are still willing to do whatever it takes to get some extra work in with their receivers, yet our guys seem unable to find the time despite the fact that none of them have more than 2 years experience.

Everything that Dalton does or doesn't do doesn't always get published, so how do you know they haven't already done something like that or not planning to do so in the near future.

I agree that the more work helps but we don't really know what these guys are doing in their offseasons unless they tell us or it gets reported.

Seriously? The things people on here complain about are simply stunning sometimes.

I don't know that it has to take a "complaining" route (and I'm not saying that's what Madieu's doing), but I do think its a worthy discussion. Particularly since so much of Dalton's game is timing and anticipation, and needing to be able to trust a guy is going to be where he throws it, as he throws passes before guys even come out of their breaks.

Seriously? The things people on here complain about are simply stunning sometimes.

You are grumpy this morning.

Everything that Dalton does or doesn't do doesn't always get published, so how do you know they haven't already done something like that or not planning to do so in the near future.

I agree that the more work helps but we don't really know what these guys are doing in their offseasons unless they tell us or it gets reported.

I think Hobson would be all over it.

I don't know that it has to take a "complaining" route (and I'm not saying that's what Madieu's doing), but I do think its a worthy discussion. Particularly since so much of Dalton's game is timing and anticipation, and needing to be able to trust a guy is going to be where he throws it, as he throws passes before guys even come out of their breaks.

x1. You would think guys like Ryan Whalen, Tate, Rogers, Tuneia, Sanzenbacher and Hilton would be begging Dalton to get some throws in.

Perhaps I'm being absurd on this one, but does it bother anyone else that guys like Peyton and Eli, with all they have accomplished, still felt the need to stage an off-season mini-camp with some of their receivers to get a jump-start before team activities begin, yet Dalton and our WR's couldn't find a couple of days to get together?

I know Dalton threw to Gresham, but we have a young QB and inexperienced WR's we'll be counting on this season. Would't it make sense to at least put out the perception that you're willing to do anything to get better? God knows our passing game could use the work. 

I don't know it just bothers me that 2 hall of fame QB's with Super Bowl Rings are still willing to do whatever it takes to get some extra work in with their receivers, yet our guys seem unable to find the time despite the fact that none of them have more than 2 years experience.

Madieu, the thought crossed my mind as well.   And B1181 is correct, it is worthy of a discussion.  And we will have posts that complain about perceived complaining.  Standard operating procedure on this board......  :)  We are all guilty at one point or the other. 

But back on point.  With the article a couple a days ago, Dalton talked about taking even more of a leadership role.  I have to admit it would have been good to hear with that article he has arranged some offseason time with the WR's or TE's.   Just seems to fit what a leader does in the offseason.  

Madieu, the thought crossed my mind as well.   And B1181 is correct, it is worthy of a discussion.  And we will have posts that complain about perceived complaining.  Standard operating procedure on this board......  :)  We are all guilty at one point or the other. 

But back on point.  With the article a couple a days ago, Dalton talked about taking even more of a leadership role.  I have to admit it would have been good to hear with that article he has arranged some offseason time with the WR's or TE's.   Just seems to fit what a leader does in the offseason.  

they had planned to do one last spring/summer, you'd think they would have this year too.  Maybe they'll do one after minicamps.  

Referencing the article you mentioned though, Dalton said he's only worked with Gresham this offseason, and had cited geographical issues (which I thought was a lame excuse).

Have they not done this?  I would suspect a Hobson article updating this in the next days after he gets done reading this board.

For the record if they aren't spending the extra time then that is baaaaaaad.   However, there is dead time for it still to happen closer to TC, I think.

Andy probably isn't a HOF QB either (could be though, never know). How many Eli and Peyton Manning's are there? I know a lot of people don't like him, but it's kinda of Kobe Bryant. Dude works on his game daily. Even in the offseason he's playing somewhere. That's one of the reasons why he's one of the best in the world. Same goes for the Manning brothers. They live it, breath it, it's not just a job - it's a life.

I think he has a fair point. I would LOVE to have a guy who goes out every day and throws footballs through hanging tires. I'm happy with Andy though... can't always luck into the #1 pick and grab a HOF'r.

And then there's this. Probably right.

im not sure it would effect that much, 90% of passes are 5 yards down field, and if you cant hit the wide open down field receiver after two years, its not a "practicing enough" problem...  he is forever a smart player with average talent, its what he was in college, its what we drafted, its what we have, theres no peyton manning hiding in andy dalton thats a few practices away from coming out...

Yes I'm totally with you on this one.  If those guys want to win bad enough to put in the extra work then yes I would like our guys to want to win bad enough to put in extra work.

Yes I'm totally with you on this one.  If those guys want to win bad enough to put in the extra work then yes I would like our guys to want to win bad enough to put in extra work.

Listen, I'm a huge Andy Dalton backer. I also like our young receivers. The reason I brought it up is because I read the Hobson article earlier in the week in which he stated that Dalton only threw to Gresham this off-season, citing the close proximity of the two. 

Please do not misunderstand me on this, these types of throwing sessions probably mean almost nothing when it comes to how they produce this season. It just bewilders me, a little bit, that you have these two iconic QB's out there throwing with their veteran receivers, yet it didn't happen with our young guys. I'm not blaming Dalton and I'm not blaming the WR's. I have no idea exactly why it didn't take place. It's just that when you juxtapose the two scenarios, it makes you wonder, just a little bit.

It's not a complaint. Why the hostility? When you're a franchise QB in the NFL, whether you like it or not, perception is going to matter. When you tell a beat reporter that you didn't get together with your young WR's because they live too far away, you're leaving yourself open to having your work ethic questioned if, by some chance, you happen to struggle during the season. You have to remember that winning football games is their job. If they feel that this type of off-season work is not necessary than that is absolutely fine. But if they struggle this season, all will end up being fair game.

Each player is due the courtesy of preparing for the season in their own way, at the end of the day winning is all that matters. It is undoubtedly curious though that your young core of offensive players couldn't make any time this off-season to get together and work on their game.

I understand the expectation of this type of extra practice and can even buy into the team building aspect of it. But when you get right down to it, I don't think it has much impact on the season itself.

You're absolutely right. It's just a little strange to read that he wants to be more of a leader this season, while in the same article finding out no one got together in the off-season because they all live too far away. Of course, they could prove me to be a complete incompetent by getting together soon in-between mini-camps. 

You're absolutely right. It's just a little strange to read that he wants to be more of a leader this season, while in the same article finding out no one got together in the off-season because they all live too far away. Of course, they could prove me to be a complete incompetent by getting together soon in-between mini-camps. 

I think you have a good point.  It does make you wonder what's going on there. As anemic as our offense was last season it seems they could use all the help they can get.

The biggest thing was that Dalton has not worked out with any of the receivers. He has worked with tight end Jermaine Gresham a couple times because he was close to Dallas, where Dalton resides during the offseason.

“I’ve talked to the guys several times throughout the offseason. Just checking in seeing how everybody is doing. Everybody’s all over the place. You got A.J. in Atlanta, Mo’s been up in Jersey some, Marvin’s out in California. Jermaine’s the closest one. We’ve been together and thrown,” Dalton said. “The offseason has gone well. I’m ready to get back up there and be with everybody and get back rolling.”

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2013/04/08/dalton-gets-ready-for-offseason-workouts/

Well, if we're going to talk about QB's working informally with important players...

Don't discount the work with Gresham, a player Dalton has repeatedly attempted to prop up when others might have reacted differently with justification. 

Oh, and remember that "crisis of confidence" moment Gresham had on the sidelines early in the Playoff game? Several of you loudly denied it had happened, iignoring film shown on Inside the NFL.

Anyways, Dalton said Gresham is using that low moment as motivation this season.   

Point being, there's no negative here. Andy is spending time on the field working primarily with the guy who needs to step up most.  

And most important of all, you know Dalton is constantly in Gresham's ear, telling him he's all pretty and shit.

Because that's what leaders do.

im not sure it would effect that much, 90% of passes are 5 yards down field, and if you cant hit the wide open down field receiver after two years, its not a "practicing enough" problem...  he is forever a smart player with average talent, its what he was in college, its what we drafted, its what we have, theres no peyton manning hiding in andy dalton thats a few practices away from coming out...

At least we don't seem to have to worry that he's a quitter.

Archived