The Good, The Bad, The Ugly - Patriots

Really loved the way Wallace stepped up this week in place of Mike.  Almost as if we didn't miss a beat from a $10+ million dollar man.  Makes me feel a little bit better if we lose him next year.  Hunt did some good things as well.

Hopefully Leon and Mike are ready to go next week.  Take it to Buffalo and make a statement.

I think Grudens play calling is limited by the limitations of the QB. JMO

Bottom line is, we won today despite Gruden and Dalton.

i dont think so. the playcalling in week 1 vs the bears wasnt limited. thats the only good game gruden has called and he even had some horrible stretches in that game with bad calls on drives.

Let's not forget another GOOD:

Wallace Gilberry. Played great in stead of MJ and had two sacks. Plus Taz getting the first sack not from a DL.

I've been thinking Gilberry as heir apparent to Johnson for sometime now. And Hunt did himself no harm whatsoever. When Hunt gets more pass rush moves under his belt he's gonna be lethal. It was noticeable during the game how explosive Hunt's first step is. He was getting round the OT with ease and was never far off sacking Brady for the most part. Our d-line will be in good hands without MJ on this evidence.

I've been thinking Gilberry as heir apparent to Johnson for sometime now. And Hunt did himself no harm whatsoever. When Hunt gets more pass rush moves under his belt he's gonna be lethal. It was noticeable during the game how explosive Hunt's first step is. He was getting round the OT with ease and was never far off sacking Brady for the most part. Our d-line will be in good hands without MJ on this evidence.

Hunt was damn good today for his first real game action. I've been thinking they'll let MJ go after this year and that hasn't changed my mind. The $ he's going to command won't be worth it in the greater scheme of this team. 

Gotta give it up for Rey Maualuga too, he played a damn good game. I'm actually impressed with him so far this year, and I've always been a Zimmer believer... and he and Marvin were probably the only two people in Cincinnati who believed in him this past off-season. Major props to them and Rey.

Hunt was damn good today for his first real game action. I've been thinking they'll let MJ go after this year and that hasn't changed my mind. The $ he's going to command won't be worth it in the greater scheme of this team. 

I would not be surprised to see Zimmer finally get his head coaching job next year, and have MJ follow him.

Gotta give it up for Rey Maualuga too, he played a damn good game. I'm actually impressed with him so far this year, and I've always been a Zimmer believer... and he and Marvin were probably the only two people in Cincinnati who believed in him this past off-season. Major props to them and Rey.

We all easily forgot how good Rey was at OLB before he wore the headset. Taking away the playcalling responsibility and letting him do his thing has been a great change for our D. I'd chance to say he's been better at MLB this year than he ever was at OLB, especially considering he doesn't have to cover as much. Taz has been especially great in coverage.

UGLY: On the TD drive when we're about to put it in, the refs huddle up for what seems like forever just to fix the clock and leave us 6 seconds to get up to the line and run a play. I thought it was bullshit and ended up with us burning a timeout. Really pissed me off. Other than that beautiful game WHO-DEY?!?!?

UGLY: On the TD drive when we're about to put it in, the refs huddle up for what seems like forever just to fix the clock and leave us 6 seconds to get up to the line and run a play. I thought it was bullshit and ended up with us burning a timeout. Really pissed me off. Other than that beautiful game WHO-DEY?!?!?

Not really the refs fault....our offense let the clock run down initially, called a TO then something happened to where they reset teh clock to 6, ran it and thats when Dalton once again called the TO. 

nah the Bengals were about to take a timeout before the refs stopped it anyway.  They were going to run it up the gut and then saw Tommy Kelly jog on the field and re-huddled.  

There were some sketchy calls, but that wasn't one IMO.

nah the Bengals were about to take a timeout before the refs stopped it anyway.  They were going to run it up the gut and then saw Tommy Kelly jog on the field and re-huddled.  

There were some sketchy calls, but that wasn't one IMO.

Yeah it just seemed like whenever we were building some momentum something awkward would happen to slow us down. Other than that I'm all smiles. Anyone know a good Pats fan forum? I'm not having much luck finding a good one.

Yeah it just seemed like whenever we were building some momentum something awkward would happen to slow us down. Other than that I'm all smiles. Anyone know a good Pats fan forum? I'm not having much luck finding a good one.

I frequent Reddit /r/nfl and /r/bengals, the Pats fans were definitely in worse "sky-is-falling" mode for this game. But for the most part were pretty cool.

Quite honestly, after the Cleveland game, I think expectations for Andy have been reset.  Coming into this third year most expected him to take another step up, but now we're starting to see the type of QB he is.  He's not a playmaker, which is ok as long as the Bengals don't try to do something with him that he can't do.  There are enough playmakers on offense and the defense is good enough that if Andy doesn't make many mistakes, we have a chance to win.  He did that for the most part today.  Not to mention he had a great throw to Marvin Jones on a 3rd down to get us out of the shadow of our own end zone.

Dalton appears to me to be very streaky. Great in short bursts and horrible in others. Today's stats will look pretty good except for the int. he needs to even out his play and this team must score more or the D will wear out. That said --- they knocked off Brady and the unbeaten Pats. Sometimes winning ugly is a good thing.

That was a really heady hustle play by Crocker to tag Amendola down before he got in at 13-3...especially  because the D ended up holding the Pats out of the endzone. To echo upthread, Crocker did indeed have a really good day for the defense. 

That was a really heady hustle play by Crocker to tag Amendola down before he got in at 13-3...especially  because the D ended up holding the Pats out of the endzone. To echo upthread, Crocker did indeed have a really good day for the defense. 

yea, just one bad play if I recall, which I'm pretty sure was the one that helped give NE a FG before the half.

The Bad.   Defensive penalties that keep giving one of the greatest QB's ever more and more chances.

THe good.  Defense giving second chances then taking them away to one of the greatest QB's ever.

Chris Crocker...I feel soooo terrible for all the invectives thrown at him by yours truly 2 years ago.   He makes this D step up a notch when he is on the field.

The awesome:

1.  Goal line stand!!!

2.  The weather gods smiling upon us.

3.  The crowd.  I didn't get to go to the GB game, but this is the first since I've become a season ticket holder (2005) that PBS sounded like the old Riverfront.  I sit in the lower portion of the upper deck and for it to sound loud in my seats must mean it was deafening on the field.   I'm usually the only one of a few in my section screaming throughout the presnap... but I had lots of company today.  Lots of fun when the usual staid Cincinnati fan base gets into the game.

Archived