Bills Week Notes

This game has the makings of a trap game for sure. Coming off an emotional victory against a HOF qb and playing a guy with virtually zero film to study makes me very nervous. Combine that with the Bengals record against the Bills in the ML era and it being an away game (0-2 away record)... this certainly wont be a walk through the park.

Sounds like a virtual copy and paste from 2 weeks ago. Hopefully the Bengals don't make the same mistake twice.

My really good friend is as big of a Bills fan as we are Bengals fans. He said this game is a win win for them. He's from NY bt lives in Cincy and he said it's the only real team from NY lol which is true. Any ways, his explanation is rather funny. He said if they win with a 3rd string then he can tease all the Bengals fans and if they lose it was because it's the 3rd string lol. 

My really good friend is as big of a Bills fan as we are Bengals fans. He said this game is a win win for them. He's from NY bt lives in Cincy and he said it's the only real team from NY lol which is true. Any ways, his explanation is rather funny. He said if they win with a 3rd string then he can tease all the Bengals fans and if they lose it was because it's the 3rd string lol. 

Rumble, rumble, crazy rumble play it cool boy!

Got a rocket in yo pocket stay cool boy! Don't go typing, smack writing on another teams board, boy!

Stay put boooooy.

Any optimism about Leon Hall being able to play this week?
ML: “I feel good about things. We’re early. Leon was very close to being able to play last week, so barring any kinds of setbacks, we should have an opportunity to get a couple of guys back and be ready to go.”

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Marvin-Lewis-Press-Conference-Transcript---107/dae2955d-b48a-453f-8f64-0705a76141f4

bernard130817_630.jpg

Updated: 10-7-13,  6 p.m.

Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis said Monday he felt good about getting back cornerback Leon Hall(hamstring) for Sunday's game in Buffalo (1 p.m.-Cincinnati's Channel 12) after he's missed the last two games.

The Bengals draw little-known Bills quarterback Thad Lewis for his second NFL start with E.J. Manuel resting his injured knee. Marvin Lewis is 13-10 vs. rookie QBs, and journeymen like Brian Hoyer and backups like T.J. Yates have proven to be lethal. The defense that has taken down Ben Roethlisberger, Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady should be ready and one of Thad Lewis's former teammates at Duke, Bengals backup linebacker Vincent Rey, can fill them in.

"He's a pocket passer. He was able to read from the pocket and that's weird because he's about my height. Around 6-0 and he was able to do it. I'll give him 6-1, not 6-2. He's a quick thinker," Rey said.

"My scouting report for Thad is that he's a guy that's going to compete until the end and he's going to try and make plays from the pocket and if he can't he'll try and make a play."

Since there aren't many Duke guys in the league, Rey and Lewis keep in touch regularly. Lewis contacted Rey as late as Friday, but once Rey found out on Sunday that Lewis was starting against the Bengals, he vowed not to talk to him until after the game.

PERSUASIVE WHIT: The persuasive Andrew Whitworth may have been the most vocal last week about getting back to the run, but on Monday he didn't take credit for a rush that kept Tom Brady on the sidelines for nearly 35 minutes.

"That isn't coming from me. That comes from the fact our line wanted that, the young guys on this offense want that," Whitworth said. "I'm never scared to stand up and say, 'Hey, this is what guys are whining to me about,' or saying to me, or what they want the opportunity to show.  I'm never scared to say what our guys want an opportunity to do."

Whitworth says he and his mates are hoping to keep that commitment not so much to the running game, but to the physical aspects.

"We hope. We hope there is.  We have to execute whatever is called," Whitworth said of the commitment. "There's no doubt. This line wants to run the football. I think this offense wants to run the football and be physical. Just the attitude and physicality to be able to go and do that is what is going to help us win games.

"Possessing the football when you have the team to be able to do that is winning football. Like yesterday. We had lot of long drives that didn't result in scores. Nine-, 10- play drives. You're possessing the ball."

The Bengals may be 24th in the NFL in points scored, but they do drive it. They had their fourth TD drive of at least 90 yards on Sunday, their most in a season since 2006, according to Elias. It is also the most 90-yard TD drives the Bengals had in the previous three seasons combined with one in each.

But they also know there are going to be times they can't run.

"We're going to play certain teams you can't do that to and they'll just absolutely say you're not going to be able to run the ball on us and eliminate it from (the) game plan and you're going to have to be able to throw it," Whitworth said. "But to be able to just keep that physical part the nature of your team is what is the crucial thing. Not having periods of time where you get away from being physical and kind of getting guys backing up all the time. Just keeping part of it and it's something the offense has to worry about."

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Notes-Looks-good-for-Hall-Persuasive-Whit-Rey-knows-little-known-QB-Bernard-still-stands-tall-/1595e215-ec54-4074-bb22-c3ae0e019b1e

Rumble, rumble, crazy rumble play it cool boy!

Got a rocket in yo pocket stay cool boy! Don't go typing, smack writing on another teams board, boy!

Stay put boooooy.

Oh I'm done for good on that. My record is literally like 0-16 when I talk smack on other boards so those days are done. I'll talk shit here if other fans came but that's it. 

Not sure if buffalo will get their top CB Gilmore back from injury or not. He has quickly become a shutdown guy. Unfortunately he didn't fall to us in the draft and we had to settle for Dre Kirkpatrick. If Gilmore is back and not rusty, I expect he will shadow AJ just like Joe Haden and Aqib Talib did.

Could be a great matchup. We really could use a 150 yard 2 TD type of game from AJ after having him be pretty well shutdown the past few weeks. It isn't totally on AJ, but the next step for him to really become the best WR in the league is do it even against the best CBs.

Not sure if buffalo will get their top CB Gilmore back from injury or not. He has quickly become a shutdown guy. Unfortunately he didn't fall to us in the draft and we had to settle for Dre Kirkpatrick. If Gilmore is back and not rusty, I expect he will shadow AJ just like Joe Haden and Aqib Talib did.

Could be a great matchup. We really could use a 150 yard 2 TD type of game from AJ after having him be pretty well shutdown the past few weeks. It isn't totally on AJ, but the next step for him to really become the best WR in the league is do it even against the best CBs.

talked to a bills fan today and it sounds like gilmore (#1 corner), brooks (#3 corner) and Byrd (#1 safety) will all miss the game.

Their D has been playing well without all 3 though, so it won't be a romp.  Said Gilmore has been out since week one, Brooks week 2, and I don't think Byrd has played at all.

Bills still lead the league in INT's and I think are 6th in sacks.

Kill their QB and protect ours. End of story.

Shit, just kill theirs, still end of story.

This team will goes as the D Line goes, imo... And some days they just dont show up- but hopefully there are no more of those days.

talked to a bills fan today and it sounds like gilmore (#1 corner), brooks (#3 corner) and Byrd (#1 safety) will all miss the game.

Their D has been playing well without all 3 though, so it won't be a romp.  Said Gilmore has been out since week one, Brooks week 2, and I don't think Byrd has played at all.

Dareus has made some plays for them - he's a load especially vs run, and Super Mario has had a few monster games. Kiko Alonso has been playing lights out as a cover LB. Excellent pass defender.

They've got some good pieces on both sides of the ball. Two very good runners, Stevie Johnson, a solid, big TE.

Kill their QB and protect ours. End of story.

Shit, just kill theirs, still end of story.

This team will goes as the D Line goes, imo... And some days they just dont show up- but hopefully there are no more of those days.

my 3 keys:

1) protect Dalton

2) stop the run

3) blitz the hell out of the young QB

Dareus has made some plays for them - he's a load especially vs run, and Super Mario has had a few monster games. Kiko Alonso has been playing lights out as a cover LB. Excellent pass defender.

They've got some good pieces on both sides of the ball. Two very good runners, Stevie Johnson, a solid, big TE.

yea I was a big Kiko Alonso fan in the draft (I liken him to a young James Harrison madman, throw your body around), but he's been even better than I expected.  He was arguably the fastest linebacker in the draft, and is more than willing to use his body as a battering ram.

my 3 keys:

1) protect Dalton

2) stop the run

3) blitz pressure the hell out of the young QB with our front 4

Fixt.  Pressure with 4 and cover with 7 and you can beat most QBs, rookie or not.  :)

Fixt.  Pressure with 4 and cover with 7 and you can beat most QBs, rookie or not.  :)

Yeah, I think this is the route we go. Force the kid to try and go thru his progressions and have to think.  Sometimes blitzing young guys time after time doesn't work because they don't have to think, they just throw to the outlet if they are open or throw it away.  Obviously, send the occasional blitz to make his life miserable. 

Too bad Tuel isn't starting.  He looked looked like a brother at a Klan rally back there.

Buffalo's gameplan is going to be getting the ball out of Thad's hands in less than 3 seconds.  Going to see a lot of screens this week.  Going to see the ball going to CJ and Fred out of the backfield a lot.  Its going to resemble what Cleveland did with Hoyer.  Lots of safe passes.

I think all of those guys are expected to play.  If anyone misses it will be Gilmore though.  

Archived