Chargers Week Notes Part Deux

His last punt was not good either, unless you think a sub 3 second hangtime is ideal.  It was a line-drive and not even close enough to the sideline.  Like I mentioned, all punters are holders at this point.  Powell's first punt was good, but his last two were bad.  He has a putrid 34.7 net.  Not a large sample size, but that would be good enough for 31st in the NFL.  Not a huge problem, but they could probably do better somewhere.

I dunno about the last one, but the shank wasn't completely all on Powell.  Someone on the left side let their guy through, and Powell shanked it because he was trying to avoid the rusher who would have blocked it had he hit it straight on.

Second-year corner Dre Kirkpatrick continues to emerge as one of the most heavily scrutinized players on the Cincinnati Bengals roster. 
For every good play against the Baltimore Ravens, he had a bad one. 
Kirkpatrick was routinely beat on the double-move once again. Bleacher Report's Matt Miller put it best:

I've never seen Dre Kirkpatrick effectively cover a double-move. Matt Miller (@nfldraftscout) December 29, 2013

Then there was the interception late in the game on fourth down, which cost the team a number of yards. Had Kirkpatrick just swatted it away, the Bengals would not have needed to start deeper in their own territory.

Am i the only one that looks at this from a different angle.  Isnt the above easier said than done.  Arent players taught to make plays.  I dont know, i know he makes mistakes, but i thought he looked much better yesterday and those picks will go a long way for his confidence in the playoffs.  Couple that with the fact that Newman will probably be back and he wont have as much pressure on him, its a win win.
Hell I jumped off the couch and yelled "PICKED IT!!!!" Followed by a "WHOOO!!!" Went to the fridge for another beer...patted my dog and yelled "DID YOU SEE THAT MAGGIE!! A FUCKING INT!!!" sat back on the couch and seen where we were on the field and was like "fuck...should have slapped that to the ground"

.....so I'm ok with catching it I guess...

Hell I jumped off the couch and yelled "PICKED IT!!!!" Followed by a "WHOOO!!!" Went to the fridge for another beer...patted my dog and yelled "DID YOU SEE THAT MAGGIE!! A FUCKING INT!!!" sat back on the couch and seen where we were on the field and was like "fuck...should have slapped that to the ground"

.....so I'm ok with catching it I guess...

Yeah, im not saying the Int the was the exact right play, but ragging on the dude for making a positive play regardless is horseshit. 

Then there was the interception late in the game on fourth down, which cost the team a number of yards. Had Kirkpatrick just swatted it away, the Bengals would not have needed to start deeper in their own territory.

Am i the only one that looks at this from a different angle.  Isnt the above easier said than done.  Arent players taught to make plays.  I dont know, i know he makes mistakes, but i thought he looked much better yesterday and those picks will go a long way for his confidence in the playoffs.  Couple that with the fact that Newman will probably be back and he wont have as much pressure on him, its a win win.

I thought that at the time, BUT, there was only the one receiver in the area.  If Dre makes the catch on his feet, he had a lot of room to run,  who knows what could have happened with guys like Burfict, Harrison, and Rey leading the interference.   Bottom line, I'm OK with the INT.

Yea, swatting it down in that spot is something maybe two dozen players in the nfl would have done. ML addressed it saying understanding that situation is something that only comes with experience. Shouldn't expect a guy with 5-6 career starts to know. Saw Simmons (IIRC) telling Dre this immediately after the pick. Harping on that is "no talent ass clown arm chair gm blogging."

Well consider me in the minority then.  ML addressing this and saying it comes with only experience is assinine.  High school through College you are taught this.  It is called low football IQ imo.  What do you mean you shouldn't expect a guy with 5-6 games starting to know.  Hasn't he played High School and College to understand the situation in the game?  

It wasn't a positive play. He basically ran 35 yards backwards with the ball.

Whatever the play is over.  He played better for the most part.  Lets get Newman back along with Gresh and Eifert and go kick some Charger arse.  By the way, has anyone heard anything on their status for this week.  Not real sure how significant, particularly the tight ends, injuries are.  I think i heard Gresham's was more severe.  Any truth to that? 

I thought that at the time, BUT, there was only the one receiver in the area.  If Dre makes the catch on his feet, he had a lot of room to run,  who knows what could have happened with guys like Burfict, Harrison, and Rey leading the interference.   Bottom line, I'm OK with the INT.

Are you ok with the INT up 1 with 4 minutes to play?  Effectively you cost your team 50 yards of field possesion and in a game that's closer could cost you the game.

Always happy to see the divisional rivals lose, but I still think the Chargers are better than either the Ravens or Steelers. The Chargers also have probably the two best road wins within the AFC...first against the Chiefs(at full strength) and then the Broncos. Both of them in cold weather cities, BTW. They haven't been typical west coast teams going into cold weather towns against the better AFC teams.

The won those games - and Indy won their set of scalps against top teams - by playing ball control against those teams, and getting enough pressure to make the offense uncomfortable,  Those tactics are less likely to work against us, as we can do that better than they can.  And we have played enough stingy defense to make their relatively weak defenses seem easy.by comparison.

Never say never, but if we play a mistake free game we can handle San Diego, just as we did in their stadium.

Second-year corner Dre Kirkpatrick continues to emerge as one of the most heavily scrutinized players on the Cincinnati Bengals roster. 

For every good play against the Baltimore Ravens, he had a bad one. 

Kirkpatrick was routinely beat on the double-move once again. Bleacher Report's Matt Miller put it best:

I've never seen Dre Kirkpatrick effectively cover a double-move.

— Matt Miller (@nfldraftscout) December 29, 2013

Matt Miller is looking for reasons to dump on Dre.  The INT wasn't a heady play by any means, but not a big deal at all.  It is just the kind of crap that internet writers come up with from inside their mother's basement.

His last punt was not good either, unless you think a sub 3 second hangtime is ideal.  It was a line-drive and not even close enough to the sideline.  Like I mentioned, all punters are holders at this point.  Powell's first punt was good, but his last two were bad.  He has a putrid 34.7 net.  Not a large sample size, but that would be good enough for 31st in the NFL.  Not a huge problem, but they could probably do better somewhere.

Since our gunner got there before the returner took a step and got him by the leg, it was good enough.

His net is a bit distorted by the 10 yarder, and the Patterson game last week.  Teams wasn;t covering anything well that week, kicks or punts.

Since our gunner got there before the returner took a step and got him by the leg, it was good enough.

His net is a bit distorted by the 10 yarder, and the Patterson game last week.  Teams wasn;t covering anything well that week, kicks or punts.

Yeah, its hard to complain about a guy who spent most of the season kicking punts on his XBox360.

Are you ok with the INT up 1 with 4 minutes to play?  Effectively you cost your team 50 yards of field possesion and in a game that's closer could cost you the game.

NO.  Apple and oranges.  Risk and reward.   Up 10 at 8 minutes, I'm OK with trying to make a play with that kind of cushion and risk  35 yds of field position.  Your scenario has a completely different dynamic.  Also, I'm merely "OK", as in either way is good for me in that particular circumstance with that particular player.  If it had been Newman and Crocker, vets with savvy and short memories, I'd have been disappointed.  

Yeah, im not saying the Int the was the exact right play, but ragging on the dude for making a positive play regardless is horseshit. 

Yeah...in my odd explanation I was agreeing with you. 99% of the people running their mouth would have done the same thing...including Millen who has be declared legally retarded.

Yeah...in my odd explanation I was agreeing with you. 99% of the people running their mouth would have done the same thing...including Millen who has be declared legally retarded.

In Dre's defense, the defensive captain and d coordinator should have reminded everyone it was 4th down and to simply knock anything long to the ground. I doubt that happened. 

Matt Miller is looking for reasons to dump on Dre.  The INT wasn't a heady play by any means, but not a big deal at all.  It is just the kind of crap that internet writers come up with from inside their mother's basement.

And that's my point.  Wasnt the best play, but its horseshit to dog a guy for it. 

Archived