Zimmer to interview with the Vikings

A big part of how good or bad your job is comes from how much stress your boss adds to the job.

Dan Snyder is probably a very high stress boss.

Snyder may be a jerk but that doesn't mean it's stressful to work for him. Washington is one of the 2 most profitable franchises in the league (along with Dallas). They get first class anything the coach wants. The owner expects results but all owners do. Snyder is less patient than some other owners but more so than someone like Haslam. Unlike Dallas, Snyder doesn't see himself as playing fantasy football with real players. 

Snyder may be a jerk but that doesn't mean it's stressful to work for him. Washington is one of the 2 most profitable franchises in the league (along with Dallas). They get first class anything the coach wants. The owner expects results but all owners do. Snyder is less patient than some other owners but more so than someone like Haslam. Unlike Dallas, Snyder doesn't see himself as playing fantasy football with real players. 

Funny, I thought that was exactly what Snyder was doing with deals like Haynesworth and even the trade up for RGIII

Funny, I thought that was exactly what Snyder was doing with deals like Haynesworth and even the trade up for RGIII

No the coaches were on board for both deals. Shanahan inherited Haynesworth and didn't like him but the coach at the time was happy to get Fat Albert.

Didn't Hue Jackson already have a HC job with Raiders.I thought that was how Bengals got #1 pick for C. Palmer.He wasn't very good there,why would he deserve another chance?

He went 8-8 in his only season.  He was hired by Al Davis and fired by his son who brought in his own guys after his father died. 

Didn't Hue Jackson already have a HC job with Raiders.I thought that was how Bengals got #1 pick for C. Palmer.He wasn't very good there,why would he deserve another chance?

Hue had them in playoff contention until Jason Campbell got hurt.

His first year was more or less like Marvin's first year here - out of the shitter to 8-8, actually in the playoff hunt to the last game of the year.  Given the total lack of success by other coaches since 2003 until now, you can see where he should stand out.  If he had been given more years and a stable situation, who knows?  Instead they are back into shuffling QBs and players and perhaps coaches and in the basement again.

Minn has an ok offense, their defense was ranked 31st. Zimmer could fix that.

Houston is by far the best place to go. Offense was ranked 11th, defense 7th. Why the shitty record? They were minus 20 in the turnover game. Great city, great fan support, money everywhere and good front office.

Detroit looks great on paper but its fucking Detroit.

talk here in D.C. is that Snyder is actually taking a page from the Brown and Ford families. He's going to try to be more patient, that's why I think Shanahan lasted through last year and wasn't fired mid season. As already mentioned, it's a very profitable franchise, has SB wins and most importantly a huge market. They've become the bad example of FA and trading up QBs. The cap crunch should be in the rear view mirror. Any coach coming in will have to have discussed their personnel strategy during the hiring process and given some assurances that the coach, Snyder and the GM are on the same page. The right guy in those circumstances should be able to build a competitive team. I was never a big fan of Shanahan and believed he was made by Elway.

That all said, I see Z and Hue as very good fits for the situation I described. I don't see Jay getting that kind of control and would be less in charge and the sexy raising OC pick. That's another doomed strategy. Just my nickel.

Minnesota Vikings to interview Browns' Ray Horton

Ray Horton is headed to another interview for an NFL head coaching gig.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported the Minnesota Vikings will interview the Cleveland Browns defensive coordinator Tuesday, according to a source informed of the Vikings' plans. 

Horton spent the past season running Cleveland's defense, which finished ninth in the league in yards allowed. Prior to 2013, Horton spent two seasons as the defensive coordinator of the Arizona Cardinals.

He interviewed twice for the Cardinals' head coaching vacancy before Arizona settled on Bruce AriansHorton reportedly got into a heated exchange with Cardinalsgeneral manager Steve Keim after he learned he didn't get the job.  

Rapoport reported Thursday that the Vikings have interest in both Bengals offensive coordinators Jay Gruden and defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer. Rapoport previously reported that the Vikings inquired about Broncos offensive coordinator Adam Gase, but he's not expected to meet with teams until the Broncosare out of the playoffs.

Rapoport added that the Vikings also plan to interview Horton's replacement in Arizona, Todd Bowles, on Monday. Minnesota also inquired about Seattle Seahawks coordinators Dan Quinn and Darrell Bevell.

Quinn will interview with the Vikings on Saturday.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000308746/article/minnesota-vikings-to-interview-browns-ray-horton

Cleveland Browns interested in Bob Stoops as coach

Are the Cleveland Browns set to make a play for Bob Stoops?

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport said Friday on NFL Network's "Around The League Live" that the Oklahoma Sooners coach could be a potential target as the team seeks to fill it head coach vacancy.

The interest might be mutual. Rapoport has been told Stoops is more open than ever to the idea of jumping to the NFL.

On Thursday, Stoops' Oklahoma team pulled off an upset victory over Alabama in the Allstate Sugar Bowl. The Youngstown, Ohio, native was asked about NFL rumors after the game.

"You never know," Stoops said, via ESPN.

Stoops has a 160-39 record at Oklahoma. He is the only college coach to win the Sugar, Orange, Rose and Fiesta Bowl. He received a contract extension this summer that takes him through the 2020 season.

The Browns attempted to make a splashy hire out of the college ranks last year, when they courted Oregon coach Chip Kelly. The coach turned the Browns down and took a job with the Philadelphia Eagles.

Broncos offensive coordinator Adam Gase, New England Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels,Arizona Cardinals defensive coordinator Todd Bowlesand Seattle Seahawks defensive coordinator Dan Quinn are other Browns options to replace Rob Chudzinski.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000308771/article/cleveland-browns-interested-in-bob-stoops-as-coach

I always thought he was a good coach. I'd hate for him to go there cause I'd have to hate him.

Horton has been a pretty effective DC for two franchises. I don't know if he is a strictly 3-4 guy. I don't know if Zimmer is strictly a 4-3 guy. Anyway, Horton is a coach on the rise and may actually get one of these HC jobs he interviews for-unless he is just being interviewed to satisfy the Rooney rule. As for Zim, if there are three teams (so far) looking to interview him, this will probably be his year-barring,of course, a Bengals Super Bowl run.  As for replacing Zim, I have no doubt that ML will pick the right guy.

Horton has been a pretty effective DC for two franchises. I don't know if he is a strictly 3-4 guy. I don't know if Zimmer is strictly a 4-3 guy. Anyway, Horton is a coach on the rise and may actually get one of these HC jobs he interviews for-unless he is just being interviewed to satisfy the Rooney rule. As for Zim, if there are three teams (so far) looking to interview him, this will probably be his year-barring,of course, a Bengals Super Bowl run.  As for replacing Zim, I have no doubt that ML will pick the right guy.

Where do you get three teams?

Any DC worth his salt can decide which system (3-4 versus 4-3) best fits his players. Like it's been mentioned, many if not all NFL teams have adopted hybrid defenses situationally depending on personnel and opponent's tendencies in certain in-game scenarios, and Zimmer has certainly been a genius in that regard, particularly in the face of injuries to core players. He's done a bang-up job here not only keeping the defense motivated but masking their weaknesses through his scheme.

Zim can do that anywhere. Will he want to as an HC? Who knows? I still believe that the reason Zimmer hasn't been offered an HC job despite interviews is because he is viewed as "one of those guys" that is "only" suited to a coordinator job...much like Dick LeBeau. Whether my suspicion is right or wrong...who knows? Of course I want Zimmer to stay here and keep our defense in the top of the NFL for years to come but it would be impossible to begrudge the guy a shot at an HC job elsewhere, and I do believe that the foundation he built can be carried on by others under him.

Archived