Philip Seymour Hoffman dead of a drug overdose

Go Skins

http://news-briefs.ew.com/2014/02/02/philip-seymour-hoffman-dies/

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304626804579358943360702878?mg=reno64-wsj&url=http%3A%2F%2Fonline.wsj.com%2Farticle%2FSB10001424052702304626804579358943360702878.html

Award-winning actor Philip Seymour Hoffman was found dead Sunday afternoon in his New York City apartment, a law-enforcement official said.

The New York Police Department is investigating, and the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner to determine exact cause of death. The official said Mr. Hoffman, 46 years old, was found dead at his apartment at 35 Bethune St. in the West Village neighborhood of Manhattan.

Mr. Hoffman won the Academy Award for Best Actor for the 2005 film, "Capote."

The actor was found in the bathroom of his fourth floor apartment in the Pickwick House around 11:15 a.m. by a screenwriter, who called 911, the official said.

I hate dumbasses that use drugs like this. He was a great actor and a pretty smart guy and yet he was dumb enough to do something that killed him. I don't do drugs at all, but seriously just smoke some weed if you need something to get you out of your zone. I don't feel sorry for selfish people that harm themselves and cause pain to their family and friends. I feel sorry for those that suffer due to his selfishness and stupidity.

I hate dumbasses that use drugs like this. He was a great actor and a pretty smart guy and yet he was dumb enough to do something that killed him. I don't do drugs at all, but seriously just smoke some weed if you need something to get you out of your zone. I don't feel sorry for selfish people that harm themselves and cause pain to their family and friends. I feel sorry for those that suffer due to his selfishness and stupidity.

Don't hurt yourself from the descent down Mt. Pious

-SOIS

I don't think this was a suicide, but I'm guessing it has to do with privacy.  Hopefully his 3 kids and wife weren't home at the time though.

I remember reading that he has his 'wife' had been separated for a few months (don't think they were actually married).  He was supposed to pick his kids up that morning though.

I don't think this was a suicide, but I'm guessing it has to do with privacy.  Hopefully his 3 kids and wife weren't home at the time though.

May not have been suicide. He was reportedly found with a needle in his arm. His wife and kids were not there according to reports. He was reported to be in an up and down relationship with his children's mother.

Khat, not sure he is being pious in his statement. Newspapers and other media tend to lionize celebrity deaths. Don't necessarily believe we should demonize them either. For those that work in the psych field can better comment on this. I have seen suicides up close on numerous occasions and some were done by people who did not experience success in their life but expected they would be glorified in their deaths. Not an unusual concept in other countries either. My question is how does a person talk about death and especially suicides without lionizing a person who died under less than morally acceptable terms or lived their lives in the past under a dark cloud ?

1)  This really angers me (mostly because the way it will affect his kids).

2)  My wife did remind me that if 'we' haven't had an addiction that 'we' can't totally understand how that might affect us or the choices we make.

3)  I'm still pissed.

4)  And I worry about my kid as she grows up since both sides of our family had addiction issues.

1)  This really angers me (mostly because the way it will affect his kids).

2)  My wife did remind me that if 'we' haven't had an addiction that 'we' can't totally understand how that might affect us or the choices we make.

3)  I'm still pissed.

4)  And I worry about my kid as she grows up since both sides of our family had addiction issues.

It's a choice, man. This might piss people off but here's my family history (and what believes me to think it's a choice)...

My paternal grandfather was an alcoholic. He died of liver cirrhosis when I was just a boy; I never even got to know him. One of my uncles is a a heavy drinker/borderline alcoholic, the other one is a drug addict (heroine and cocaine). My dad smokes cigarettes. My sister is addicted to cocaine which led her right to Marysville for a 9 month stay which she is currently serving. My other sister smokes. My aunt is a pot head, I have two cousins that are addicted to heroine (one of which is about to be locked away). I'm sure they all smoke cigarettes if that is considered an addiction (I consider it). There's numerous uncles and cousins I don't even know but hear about them being locked up for drugs, theft for drugs, whatever. What I'm getting at is my family tree would involve a lot of pipes, needles, bottles, and handcuffs. I even have a murdering uncle... shot a dude and killed him. They're all fucked up. I don't know what led 4 of them (yes, 4 separate women - aunt, two cousins, and a sister) to abandon their kids for coke, heroine, whatever they can find to fuck themselves up.

I do have to give credit to my parents, outside of my dad smoking and of course the occasional party where I'd see my relatives drinking, they steered me in a pretty good direction in terms of substance abuse... mom especially. Anyway, I've made the choice to not smoke, not drink, and take care of myself. My extended family (and even my immediate family if you count my dad) has a serious issue with drugs but I have no problems, my brother has no problems. I've smoked reefer, drank, took some pills... but I never will again. It was just a choice I made at that time that has no control over me. If it was hereditary, I would be sitting in some stranger's apartment with a crack pipe sticking out of my ass looking for the damn thing.

My wife's family is FULL of alcoholics. Her grandpa also died of cirrhosis from drinking. Her grandma stopped drinking because she developed cancer. Her mom is a raging alcoholic. Every. Single Night. and I fucking hate it. Her uncle is a raging alcoholic. Her other uncle is a raging alcoholic. Another uncle is yellow and on his death bed because his liver is failing from years of drinking. My wife doesn't drink. It's a choice she's made. Two of her cousins drink heavily. That's a choice they made. Their whole family, at least the ones I have met, are 90% alcoholics. I know because I have to go there to visit. The mother in law, her brother, and their mother live together. It's a mad house during holidays. Drunk fucks everywhere. I fall asleep in a side chair every time I go over.

I am a firm believer that if you raise your kids right, you have nothing to worry about.

half rant/half post

I hate drugs.

I happen to believe that there is a genetic predisposition to being an addict in some (not all) cases, and I'm pretty certain science backs me up on that. I don't think that necessarily voids a person's ability to make good versus bad choices, but I think having an "addictive personality" can nudge someone in the wrong direction. 

I also happen to know that some of these people, despite a stellar upbringing, can turn into complete shitheads. It happens all the time.

I'd amend your statement "I am a firm believer that if you raise your kids right, you have nothing to worry about." to "I am a firm believer in raising your kids right and hoping that they make the right choices in life that reflects well upon their upbringing"

You guys are asses that have no idea what addiction is about. Do yourselves a favor and keep these opinions anonymous on the internet.

I have dealt with addiction throughout my family. I seriously dated and lived with a girl for 3 years that was in and out of treatment and had periods of sobriety and relapses. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. You are no better and your opinion is no more right or wrong than anyone elses so don't try to be all high and mighty above everyone else. No one is an ass for their personal feelings and opinion.

he had a separate apartment that he did his drugs in. it was separate from the house his children lived in and he would spend time with them at.

also i believe he was never married and they were just in a relationship for a long time, had kids and not long ago left each other.

he had a separate apartment that he did his drugs in. it was separate from the house his children lived in and he would spend time with them at.

also i believe he was never married and they were just in a relationship for a long time, had kids and not long ago left each other.

they weren't married in a court, but they had been together for I think 12 years.  Legally they were basically married.

Can't imagine what drives a person who has everything going for him to do something like that

Heartbreak maybe? Might just be an assumption, but based on other posts here it sounds like he was sober for a while then relapsed around the time he got out of that long term relationship. Wonder if the relapse caused the breakup, or the other way around. Or neither?

But yeah, I dont know. Messed up.

Heroin is some pretty heavy stuff.  However, if as is currently suspected he got ahold of a supercharged version (fentanyl laced) then he could have been overwhelmed by the drug and as a result never had a chance.  Fentanyl is sometimes cut with low grade heroin or even in some cases, sold as heroin itself.  It is difficult to determine how much more powerful Fentanyl is as compared to heroin but in some cases has been reported to be 100 times more powerful.  Imagine a user that is used to the regular grade stuff all of the sudden getting ahold of this supercharged heroin, they would be dead in a matter of seconds/minutes.

Here is an article that discusses some of the information;

http://www.metro.us/newyork/news/national/2014/02/04/ace-of-spades-heroin-found-in-hoffman-apartment-part-of-deadly-spread/

Archived