GRADE

Russell Bodine (C)
HT: 6'3" WT: 310LBS.
POSITION: C
SCHOOL: North Carolina
ARM LENGTH: 32 1/2"
HANDS: 10"
Overview
Last name is pronounced "BO-dine." Prepped at Fork Union (Va.) Military Academy, where his father is a teacher. Redshirted in 2010. Was a backup in '11 -- played nine games, including two starts as an injury replacement. Started all 25 games 2012-13.

SELECTED BY: Bengals
ROUND: 4
PICK (OVERALL): 11 (111)
PICK ANALYSIS:
"He's a really solid player. I think the more tape teams watched of him -- especially the coaches -- the more they liked him. He can play both guard spots, and that's key for him." -- Mike Mayock
COMBINE STATS
40 YARD DASH: 5.18 SEC
BENCH PRESS: 42 REPS
VERTICAL JUMP: 29.0 INCH
BROAD JUMP: 109.0 INCH
3 CONE DRILL: 8.26 SEC
20 YARD SHUTTLE: 4.66 SEC
ANALYSIS
Strengths
Carries a load in his punch and plays with vinegar. Can seal and turn defenders in the run game to create small creases. Plays with a mean streak and likes to finish blocks. Is aggressive working up to the second level and efficient cutting linebackers. Rugged competitor. Stout anchor in pass protection. Versatile and has seen action at center and guard. Excellent weight-room strength -- bench-pressed 225 pounds 42 times to lead all participants at the combine.
Weaknesses
Stiff-bodied. Plays short-armed and overextends. Average agility. Is late to switch off blocks. Relies too much on his upper-body strength. Mechanics deteriorate the farther he is asked to travel. Slow to adjust to counter moves. Produced the slowest 3-cone time (8.29 seconds) of any offensive lineman at the combine.
Draft Projection
Rounds 3-4
Bottom Line
A top-heavy, barrel-chested, thick-bodied, short-area blocker, Bodine plays with a gritty football demeanor. Swing-interior versatility adds to his value.

1. Weston Richburg, Colorado St.
2. *Marcus Martin, USC
3. Bryan Stork, Florida St.
4. *Russell Bodine, North Carolina
5. Travis Swanson, Arkansas
6. Jonotthan Harrison, Florida

I wouldn't be shocked to see one of the top two go in Round 1. Both could be off the board by the midway point of Round 2, certainly.

Mel's top 6 centers....

Gave up pick 199 in round 6. They still have a 6th - compensatory pick.

Fact is we simply don't have many roster spots so I have no problem with the move.  " A big strong Bengals Center" are 5 words you have not seen in the same sentence for quite awhile.

Fact is we simply don't have many roster spots so I have no problem with the move.  " A big strong Bengals Center" are 5 words you have not seen in the same sentence for quite awhile.

exactly.  They came into today with 6 picks, but there's really only 2-3 spots left on the roster.  And that may be stretching it.

Archived