We Need To Talk About Andy..

Well, that and the fact that the NFL is much more friendly to quarterbacks than it was back then. Hell, the difference between 2002 and now is mind boggling.

Bingo!! In this ridiculously QB friendly league we have Dalton putting up historically bad numbers. Different league back when Kenny or boomer played.

Through 9 games Andy is rated 78.     His latest performance was a historically low rated game.

Yet,  it's whining?     Well alrighty then.     

This is the level Andy is.    This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone they basically said they drafted him for potential on being ready not upside.  

Why are defenders coming in here getting nasty with other posters?  

When this QB actually evalates his play over a majority of a season then there might be something to discuss from the defenders.    IMO, he's a slightly better version of Jon Kitna.   

Andy Dalton was NEVER supposed to put this team on his back and win games.  He doesn't have that talent, not many do.  He was supposed to continue his role as a game manager, reduce his mistakes and take advantage of the numerous weapons he had at his disposal.   The idea was to surround him with talent, protect him and let the defense shut down the other team.  

The reality is we currently have the 30th ranked defense.  Our run defense is an utter joke.  Yes, injuries have been a huge issue but we have had injuries before on defense and still held our own.   Without our defense shutting teams down,  the Andy as game manager strategy goes out the window.  He simply is not good enough to carry this team 

The game manger strategy is a risky one.  Sure Seattle won a Superbowl with it  but even with the 3rd ranked defense this year, they have lost 3 games and look vulnerable.  Why??  Because Russel Wilson, for all his accolades (some undeserved in my mind) hasn't risen to the occasion in close games.  Carroll does not trust Wilson enough and keeps him on a tight leash.  He is only averaging 204 yards passing a game.  

San Fran has the 2nd ranked defense. They are 5-4.  Kaepernick is exciting but you can't ask him to win games for you too many times, he can't.  

The issue is these QBs are not asked to do too much.  The problem is when they need to step up, it not something they are comfortable doing.  Guys like Brady, Brees, Rodgers, and Manning P are expected to score a lot of points every week.  For these players and their teams, it is almost always of function of if their defense can make a few plays and make some stops.  You can take more risk at defense knowing you have a QB and offense that can respond if necessary. 

Not sure if this was posted, but if Dalton spiked the ball on every passing play his passer rating would have been 37 points hither than it was

What's so profound about that? Interceptions weigh more than incompletions, so what? Maybe he should've donr that instead of throwing to receivers that couldn't get open.

The reality is Andy Dalton was NEVER supposed to put this team on his back and win games.  He doesn't have that talent, not many do.  He was supposed to continue his role as a game manager, reduce his mistakes and take advantage of the numerous weapons he had at his disposal.   The idea was to surround him with talent, protect him and let the defense shut down the other team.  

The reality is we currently have the 30th ranked defense.  Our run defense is an utter joke.  Yes, injuries have been a huge issue but we have had injuries before on defense and still held our own.   Without our defense shutting teams down,  the Andy as game manager strategy goes out the window.  He simply is not good enough to carry this team.  

Eh,  I don't disagree but I think that goes against the conversations and view points of the summer.

You had posters wanting him to get a Jay Cutler type deal because well "that's the market".   Or  others that rule any other potential challenge to the throan.    Can't find a Qb in FA, Can't find one late in the draft.

When the organization hands him the type of money they did with the incentives there was some thought process that YES this guy could 1 day carry the team.   There was also the doubt and that's evident with the contractual outs they gave themselves which get realistic after year 2.

IMO,  they should have been in no hurry to extend this guy after that playoff meltdown.   All we did was gaurantee he's got first run at the starting job through 2015 provided something unforseen like injury happens.

IMO, given the past viewpoints suggesting he NEVER was supposed to carry the team is a little defensive in favor of Dalton. 

If I can dissent, I guess I am tired of this notion that there are QBs who are not supposed to put teams on backs and win games.

The nature of the position in the NFL is that QBs, all QBs, are supposed to do just that. Make the reads, make the throws, not turn it over, move the chains, score points.  I expect those things from anyone who QBs this team, and I expect them to carry the team in the process of doing so.

If they can't do that, get the fuck out and get someone who can.

Eh,  I don't disagree but I think that goes against the conversations and view points of the summer.

You had posters wanting him to get a Jay Cutler type deal because well "that's the market".   Or  others that rule any other potential challenge to the throan.    Can't find a Qb in FA, Can't find one late in the draft.

When the organization hands him the type of money they did with the incentives there was some thought process that YES this guy could 1 day carry the team.   There was also the doubt and that's evident with the contractual outs they gave themselves which get realistic after year 2.

IMO,  they should have been in no hurry to extend this guy after that playoff meltdown.   All we did was gaurantee he's got first run at the starting job through 2015 provided sot mething unforseen like injury happens.

IMO, given the past viewpoints suggesting he NEVER was supposed to carry the team is a little defensive in favor of Dalton. 

Please don't paint me as one who is defending anyone.  My viewpoint concerning Andy is well known.  I think he is an average QB, between 12th and 20th in the league.    

What the organization did was give him a contract with huge incentives and paid him enough upfront to take away any distractions Andy might have.  Now it was up to him to EARN the rest of his contract.  

That said, Andy has 7 games left this season to PROVE he deserved the contract.  I also think many of you don't give the front office enough credit.  They are watching the same games we are.  They are not fools.   This contract has an escape hatch and if Andy shits to bed the rest of the season, they will find a replacement whether it is AJ Mac, Campbell or an FA.    The key offensive players are not going to defend Andy if his current play persists.     

If I can dissent, I guess I am tired of this notion that there are QBs who are not supposed to put teams on backs and win games.

The nature of the position in the NFL is that QBs, all QBs, are supposed to do just that. Make the reads, make the throws, not turn it over, move the chains, score points.  I expect those things from anyone who QBs this team, and I expect them to carry the team in the process of doing so.

If they can't do that, get the fuck out and get someone who can.

Plenty of teams have won Superbowl rings with dominant defenses and offenses that were simply asked to score enough points and DON'T make mistakes.   Seattle scored 43 points in last year's Superbowl.  Russel Wilson threw for 206 total yards.  It was the only time he broke 200 yards passing in the playoffs.  He had 103 yards against New Orleans.  

They paid him the franchise tag a year early.   In exchange for some additional years they paid him a little bit more than the tag.

I would say any organization isn't doing that for a QB that was NEVER supposed to carry the team.     When you are signing guys early like that and don't think it can be washed away by going back to  "Well,  he isn't that good anyway and we need defense".   

The cap dollars should have been put into the roster instead of extending the QB early.   The cap situation and tag were available after this year if Andy somehow reinvented himself.    However, this past summer when that was suggested there was a slew of reasonings of why they couldn't including some crazy request to name potential replacements in "August".

They paid him the franchise tag a year early.   In exchange for some additional years they paid him a little bit more than the tag.

I would say any organization isn't doing that for a QB that was NEVER supposed to carry the team.     When you are signing guys early like that and don't think it can be washed away by going back to  "Well,  he isn't that good anyway and we need defense".   

The cap dollars should have been put into the roster instead of extending the QB early.   The cap situation and tag were available after this year.     However, this past summer when that was suggested there was a slew of reasonings of why they couldn't including some crazy request to name potential replacements in "August".

I don't disagree with any of this, however, what is done is done.  I think management felt Andy was our best chance to do something in the playoffs the next 2 years and with our offensive players getting more experience and our defense continuing to be in the top 10 it might have worked.

Problem is the defense has taken a huge step backward, AJ and Eifert have been out out and now our Oline is our Achilles heal with Smith out.  Andy needs a clean pocket and all of his toys to play well.  He isn't one that thrives under duress.

I don't think the organization is blind to what is going on on the field.  

No I agree Kenneth, I mean his pass after crossing the LOS, that's the stuff of Future HOF'ers (but hey I know "he's my quarterback")

Yeah, because no other HOF QB in the history of the league has ever done that, right?  Jamie, you used to be at least somewhat reasonable, I don't know what happened to that guy.  Andy DEFINITELY had a horrible game, but so did every other ASPECT of the team.  Our D gave up 170 yards rushing to a team that hadn't gained a 170 yards in the Previous 3 GAMES COMBINED.  But, on this site, it's Bad Andy all the time.  There is no credit for his successes, and absolute shit thrown at him for every mistake.  And you wonder why almost all of the level headed people post here very little.  It's become the Khat, Go, Sharm, Weston and Jamie show.  And that show sucks more than Andy.

Archived