Andy Dalton is Superman

We're off to a solid start.

And then it all falls apart.

We have a game manager at QB because Palmer quit like a bitch, putting the Bengals in a position where they needed his replacement overnight.

How does it fall apart?  You just admitted I am right, Andy is a game manager.   He was drafted to be an immediate starter rather than picking up a vet in FA and looking for someone with upside.

That was the decision and it has worked out well for the Bengals.  Now, Andy has to take the next step and become a franchise QB,...its all on him to prove his critics wrong.

How does it fall apart?

Any discussion about how we got here has to start with the way Palmer quit, thereby forcing the Bengals to abandon whatever plans they might have had for a franchise player who was under contract.

You just admitted I am right, Andy is a game manager. He was drafted to be an immediate starter rather than picking up a vet in FA and looking for someone with upside.

That was the decision and it has worked out well for the Bengals.  

It's worked out about as well as it could have worked under the circumstances forced upon the Bengals by Palmer's unprecedented and wholly unprofessional actions. 

And there's the rub because when fanboys look at Dalton the see what he isn't and their frustration grows.

But when they think of the player who most defines what Dalton doesn't have they quickly forget the things that Palmer lacked, like professionalism, leadership skills,etc.

Play nice boys.

Cold hard fact is if we make the playoffs ANDY has to exercise these demons.  

We all know that it will be the ENTIRE focal point of the national media when discussing our team and who we play.    AJ will get a minute, Burfict 30 seconds, the rest of the players maybe some mention and 10 straight minutes on whether Andy Dalton can finally win the big game or will he fold.

Oh, and don't forget, Marvin will be questioned relentlessly about will he finally win a playoff game after 12 years and of course, reminded how no other owner would have kept him this long.  Oh, and they will bait Marvin for 7 straight days to say something bad about Andy.

I wish it wasn't the case but it is. 

It seems to me that the only people affected by the media perception, focus, questions, et cetera - in any meaningful way - are the fans.

Yeah, I wish that were true.

No shit, if that were true we'd have already solved the prime-time game problem. I truely believe it's a mental problem they have let get into their heads and effect their play in those games.

Any discussion about how we got here has to start with the way Palmer quit, thereby forcing the Bengals to abandon whatever plans they might have had for a franchise player who was under contract.

It's worked out about as well as it could have worked under the circumstances forced upon the Bengals by Palmer's unprecedented and wholly unprofessional actions. 

And there's the rub because when fanboys look at Dalton the see what he isn't and their frustration grows.

But when they think of the player who most defines what Dalton doesn't have the quickly forget the things that Palmer lacked, like professionalism, leadership skills,etc.

Unpreidented for a QB maybe but we've had other guys fight to get away from this team. I remember Chad was an issue the previous year and people refused to blame the Front Office instead blaming Chad to the point that I asked the question "What is it going to take for you to believe it's a FO problem, Carson demanding he wanted out?"

It's specifically why I will never believe it was 100% wife driven because Chad wanted out too.

But when they think of the player who most defines what Dalton doesn't have the quickly forget the things that Palmer lacked, like professionalism, leadership skills,etc.

Dalton was a great rebound girlfriend. You don't have to marry her. 

Chad said he wanted out because he was grossly underpaid, and he then spent months lying about his contract. Then he spent many many more months sulking and bitching in stripes before he finally admitted he just needed a breath of fresh air, no doubt due to the way he himself had fouled the air surrounding him. In fact, without the Bengals coving up his shortfalls Chad very promptly ruined his own brand. As did Palmer. As did Housh.

Franchise QB's don't quit. Players who don't deserve that title quit. Palmers actions were unprecedented.

And again, IMHO GO's rant boils down to Andy Dalton not being worthy of his paycheck, but the QB he still swoons over once admitted that the only reason anyone could take his threat to never play again seriously was due to how much money he had already made.

So really, which starting QB was most overpaid?

The one who never won a playoff game while pocketing 80 million dollars before quitting? 

Or the guy who is still trying?

Chad said he wanted out because he was grossly underpaid, and he then spent months lying about his contract. Then he spent many many more months sulking and bitching in stripes before he finally admitted he just needed a breath of fresh air, no doubt due to the way he himself had fouled the air surrounding him. In fact, without the Bengals coving up his shortfalls Chad very promptly ruined his own brand. As did Palmer. As did Housh.

Franchise QB's don't quit. Players who don't deserve that title quit. Palmers actions were unprecedented.

And again, IMHO GO's rant boils down to Andy Dalton not being worthy of his paycheck, but the QB he still swoons over once admitted that the only reason anyone could take his threat to never play again seriously was due to how much money he had already made.

So really, which starting QB was most overpaid?

The one who never won a playoff game while pocketing 80 million dollars before quitting? 

Or Any who is still trying?

This, A thousand times this. I have zero hard feelings regarding Palmer but his ultimatum forced the Bengals into action and they hugely exceeded anyone's expectations the following draft covering up for our QB that was the highest paid at the time he signed said contract. Any discussions, reviews or criticisms need to begin there.

...which starting QB was most overpaid?

Or the guy who is still trying?

Excellent statement.

If Andy Dalton retired tomorrow, his list of career achievements trumps Carson Palmer's.

As for the argument that Palmer had less talent around him, I say that's revisionist history.  What Palmer was surrounded by was lower expectations.

Excellent statement.

If Andy Dalton retired tomorrow, his list of career achievements trumps Carson Palmer's.

As for the argument that Palmer had less talent around him, I say that's revisionist history.  What Palmer was surrounded by was lower expectations.

I can agree with this to a point.  Andy has certainly had better defenses than Carson but Palmer did not lack in the offensive weapons department.

I will say Andy had a better cast of CHARACTERS than Carson did.   I haven't seen Whit throw a wide receiver out of the huddle for years.

Excellent statement.

Now were getting down to the bottom of this, and what I have believed all along with some folks.... this is about the desire for some to show that Andy is better than Carson, or at least has accomplished more.

Now were getting down to the bottom of this, and what I have believed all along with some folks.... this is about the desire for some to show that Andy is better than Carson, or at least has accomplished more.

I don't think there's any question about which of the two has accomplished more in their careers.  Apart from being taller and "throwing a prettier ball", Carson Palmer ain't got shit on Andy Dalton.

What are the things that matter?

Passer rating?  Palmer 86.3,  Dalton 85.3...  Palmer wins the round 10-9

TD/Int Ratio?  Palmer 1.57/1,  Dalton 1.57/1...  All judges score the round 10-10

Win-Loss Record?  Palmer 70-73,  Dalton 35-21-1...  Palmer takes a standing 8 count.  10-8

Playoff Appearances?  Palmer 2 in 12 years,  Dalton 3 for 3...  Dalton wins by knockout.  

I'm only concerned about Dalton doing enough to be considered "more accomplished" than Ken Anderson and Boomer Esiason...

It's irrelevant.

Dalton is here because Palmer refused to play, an act that he will be remembered for more than any other "accomplishment" of his career.

Excellent statement.

There is no question that Andy has played with better talent on defense than Palmer ever had. Palmer did have plenty of talent on offense, though. Overall, the Bengals probably had more talent with Dalton, IMO. Nothing revisionist about it just my opinion. The success Andy had right off the bat definitely did raise expectations. Palmer never got much blame for lack of playoff success because he didn't get manychances and he was injured in his first playoff game.

It seems like we draft BPA, unless it's a QB. Let's say Jamis Winston falls to us, do you think we'd draft him?

And create the same circus that Johnny Manziel did? No. That's a special case, though.

I've said in each of the last two years that the Bengals should have targeted a quarterback in the first three rounds. Specifically, I thought Mike Glennon and Zach Mettenberger would be good fits. I don't think any of us would have cried much if the Bengals had wound up with Teddy Bridgewater.

Elite teams aren't afraid to take a quarterback early. There's value on a coupe different levels. Even if the guy doesn't ever start, you get a cheap backup that often times translates into picks later on.

When the dust settles, A.J. McCarron might be that type of guy. Only time will tell.

It seems like we draft BPA, unless it's a QB. Let's say Jamis Winston falls to us, do you think we'd draft him?

That would be a tough one.

That dude is a winner and has all of the talent in the world, just an idiot off of the field. IMO..there is no way in hell he will fall even out of the top ten..but if he was there when the Bengals picked, it would be tough to pass up.

Archived