Will these next two games change anything for you re: Marvin, Dalton?

I would be pleasantly surprised if they won both, or even one actually.  Deep down i'm just hoping not to get embarrassed honestly.

For the past couple years I've been of the mindset that we've gone as far as we can go with Marvin. We aren't going to win a super bowl with him is what I've resigned myself to.

Regardless of what happens, nothing will change.  Marvin and Andy will both be back next year.

Next offseason is the one that could bring changes if Marvin isn't extended and the new coach releases or trades Andy.

Co-Sign

I fully expect them to go 0-2 in embarrassing fashion, make the playoffs with outside help and get crushed in the first round.

Even if they go 2-0 to finish out the regular season I 100% expect them to get demolished by whoever they play in the playoffs. And yes, I would still want Marvin and Andy gone.

I fully expect them to go 0-2 in embarrassing fashion, make the playoffs with outside help and get crushed in the first round.

Even if they go 2-0 to finish out the regular season I 100% expect them to get demolished by whoever they play in the playoffs. And yes, I would still want Marvin and Andy gone.

You have very low expectations...I'm curious as to how many games you picked them to win back in August...maybe 3?

yeah, I am just hopeful that they "show up" in these last two games.  expectations are at minimum because to me, these two games are their playoffs.  Forgive me if im wrong, but I don't have the highest of expectations when it comes to the playoffs.  I actually don't think they will get in as I just don't see the Chiefs beating SD no matter where that game is played.  Im not just being negative here for the sake of being negative,  there is just nothing that makes me think they are going to make enough plays on offense or stop Peyton Manning on defense.  It would seem, they are going to have to score and score often.  I just don't see it.  The next week, against the Steelers, I just think they are better team than the Bengals, doesn't mean they aren't flawed, but I just think they will overcome those flaws, better than the Bengals will when push comes to shove(Cue up the hate!).  In your heart of hearts, do you really this is a false belief?  I don't.  I will continue to feel this way until they do something to make me feel differently.  I guess, to the original question about Marv and Andy, if the Bengals win the next two weeks, or even one of the next two(preferably the Steelers), get a home game and escape the first round w/ a win, then yes, I think that they will have begun to turn a major corner.  If its the same old state of affairs, as I have already explained I think is gonna happen, then its time to move on from both.  As someone already alluded to, most likely that will be at the end of the 2015 season though. 

DISCLAIMER:  THIS DOES NOT MEAN, I REPEAT, THIS DOES NOT MEAN, THAT I WANT THEM TO LOSE OR THAT I AM ROOTING FOR THEM TO LOSE IN ANY WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM.  IN FACT, THAT COULDNT BE FARTHER FROM THE TRUTH.  IM SURE LIKE MANY OF YOU, I WISH YOU COULD BE A FLY ON THE FUCKIN' WALL IN MY HOUSE WHEN THEN BENGALS ARE ON.  A GROWN MAN SHOULD NOT ACT IN SUCH A MANNER!  IT JUST MEANS, THAT UNTIL SOMETHING ELSE CAN BE CONFIRMED, OTHER THAN WHAT MY OWN TWO EYES HAVE WITNESSED, NOT JUST TO THIS POINT IN THE SEASON, BUT FOR THE PAST 3+ SEASONS, I AM GOING TO CONTINUE TO BE SKEPTICAL.  THATS JUST ME.  ITS WHO I AM.  WHEN I HAVE REAL LIFE DISCUSSIONS WITH GOOD FRIENDS OR CO-WORKERS, THEIR OPINION(NOR SHOULD MINE FOR THAT MATTER) IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH.  IT MUST BE SUPPORTED BY SOME TANGIBLE FACTS.  RIGHT NOW, THE TANGIBLE FACTS, WHEN RELATED TO THE BENGALS, ARE THAT THEY ARE A TEAM THAT HAS STRAIGHT MELTED UNDER THE PRESSURE OF THE BRIGHT LIGHTS AND PLAYOFF ATMOSPHERE LIKE GAMES(I.E. PAST THREE FIRST ROUND EXITS, NEW ENGLAND, INDY, CLEVELAND, AND PITTSBURGH GAMES).  HERE'S TO PUTTING AN END TO THE TREND.

This is an excellent question.  For the record, I've been a Marvin supporter and a Dalton pessimist.  At this very moment, I believe Marvin can get us a championship, but not with Dalton as the QB.  

Regardless of what happens next week with the Steelers, my focus is on this week.  This is the type of game championship teams win.  This is the type of games that get you over the hump.  It's in these types of games, where most people aren't expecting you to win, that if you do win you have the respect of the entire league.  Yes the Bengals are a good team, yes they've been in the playoffs for the last few years, but no one really considers this team a championship team.  It's time for Marvin, Andy and the rest of the team to step up and show the league that the Bengals are the team others need to be worried about.  

If we win tonight, and Dalton plays well, I will start to believe we can actually win with him at the helm.  It will be one of those things where I'll convince myself that he really did just need to grow up and get more experience.  

If we lose, I really start to question Marvin.  I know he's not a good manager of the game, and I'm not one that believe an NFL coach has to be all "rah, rah" to get his team to play well, but it's time for him to have a game where the team was prepared and he doesn't make any stupid coaching decisions.

Not next 2, but next 3 and beyond.

Don't really care anymore about next two outside the normal hope to qualify for playoffs. The issue is can these two not stand in the way of a championship.

Back to Back division championships would be nice but if you lost a home again in the playoffs then it doesn't mean shit.

Won't really care about losing both and backing in if they make a run in the post season too.

This is what I was going to say.  If they win these last two and then lay another egg in the playoffs, the last two won't matter.  If they lose the next two, back into the playoffs, then win a couple games there, these last two regular season games will be forgiven.

Plain and simple, win a playoff game or two, things are good.  Fail to win a playoff game, things suck, and Marvin needs to go.  What happens in the next two games won't be the determining factor, other than the playoff implications involved.

It's funny, I was one of the first to want Marvin gone before that view was "popular".  Then the 2011 season changed my mind. 

The playoff game last year was disappointing.  I would not object to replacing Marvin, but I have concerns.

Do I trust Mike Brown to either let Katie make the replacement decision, or if not to bring in a better coach?

Would a better coach come here?  

As for Dalton, I don't see them replacing him before 2016.  The bigger question is would we be able to get someone we can feel confident that he would be an upgrade?  This team has been very hit and miss with drafting QBs.  And we have enough talent, and Andy plays well enough often enough that we won't be picking in the top 10 anytime soon.  Good free agent QBs are rare.  And I don't see us trading up to get one.  We would likely have to mortgage the future.  Or draft another developmental guy and hope he blossoms.

It's funny, I was one of the first to want Marvin gone before that view was "popular".  Then the 2011 season changed my mind. 

The playoff game last year was disappointing.  I would not object to replacing Marvin, but I have concerns.

Do I trust Mike Brown to either let Katie make the replacement decision, or if not to bring in a better coach?

Would a better coach come here?  

As for Dalton, I don't see them replacing him before 2016.  The bigger question is would we be able to get someone we can feel confident that he would be an upgrade?  This team has been very hit and miss with drafting QBs.  And we have enough talent, and Andy plays well enough often enough that we won't be picking in the top 10 anytime soon.  Good free agent QBs are rare.  And I don't see us trading up to get one.  We would likely have to mortgage the future.  Or draft another developmental guy and hope he blossoms.

perfectly said, all around.

Frankly, I think that if the Bengals don't win one of the next two, it's the end of the Marvin Lewis era.

Really?  He got a new contract after going 4-12, you think Mike pays him not to coach if he goes 9-6-1 with all the injuries we had this year?

Marvin will at the very least coach out his current contract.

Really?  He got a new contract after going 4-12, you think Mike pays him not to coach if he goes 9-6-1 with all the injuries we had this year?

Marvin will at the very least coach out his current contract.

Nah. I think that they might finally be feeling the pressure. I don't think Marvin is as smug and confident with his job security as usual.

If we go one and done in the playoffs I think he's gone.

Just hope they wouldn't promote from within.

But it doesn't matter. We gon win one

Nah. I think that they might finally be feeling the pressure. I don't think Marvin is as smug and confident with his job security as usual.

If we go one and done in the playoffs I think he's gone.

Just hope they wouldn't promote from within.

But it doesn't matter. We gon win one

I think there is 0% chance Marvin is gone, but if that happened I'd want Hue Jackson or Darren Simmons as the HC.

In the rare instances that STs coaches become HCs they are good. Simmons is phenomenal at his job and I think he'd make a great HC. He does a lot with a little no matter how much our roster changes he always ends the year with an elite unit.

I think there is 0% chance Marvin is gone, but if that happened I'd want Hue Jackson or Darren Simmons as the HC.

In the rare instances that STs coaches become HCs they are good. Simmons is phenomenal at his job and I think he'd make a great HC. He does a lot with a little no matter how much our roster changes he always ends the year with an elite unit.

Hadn't thought about Simmons at all. 

Archived