Mike Brown is leading charge vs. Status quo as they eye free agency

I have zero expectation that we have any chance of picking up a JPP or Patrick Willis.   We will throw out reasonable number which is NOT how FA works.

Thanks for raining on the parade.

Here's a thought...

Why not trade for Patrick Willis?

He's got two years left on his deal. He's set to make $8.2mil in '15 and $9.6mil in '16. It obviously would be a huge upgrade. He'd immediately be the best player on the defense.

Two years with no dead money would give the Bengals options. You could simply let him play out the contract at a big - but not ridiculous - salary, negotiate an extension up front, or take a "wait and see" approach.

Just for giggles... Assuming no extension was negotiated, what's the trade value for Patrick Willis?

They did- but they didn't say if they are going to The Dollar Store or Nordstrom yet. We don't know if they are shopping for toilet paper, or wet wipes, or a full on bidet. There is little to be excited about at this point, realistically. They are shopping, but no one has any clue what for.

Oh, but they did. Isn't the Dollar Store, or let's say Target, where they've gone and found solid, well-valued FA's in the past?  Isn't that the status quo?  And now they're telling us they are looking to play in FA, and precisely telling us that upending the status quo is their target.

Now, many of us might disagree on what particular players or positions they address, but my reading of this - coupled with the fact (and my earlier point) that the Bengals have a rock-solid track record of telling us what they are going to do and then doing it - is that they plan on making a splash.

The truly good news is that, unlike earlier seasons where we the chump that premier FA's used to up their bargaining price, we've gone to the playoffs 4 years in a row now.  And while most of you wouldn't wipe your ass with that, there are a lot of elite players who long for that shot - and who might just be confident enough in their own abilities that they could see themselves contributing a missing piece that might take us to the next level.

IIRC, that's how Reggie White got his Super Bowl. 

Rose colored glasses, you say?  Maybe. But then again, it's the off-season, and I'd much rather be sniffing roses right now than Go's asshole, which seems to be the favored past-time in these parts.

2nd Rounder wasy

I'd say likely without the contract, but that's a hefty deal. Would knock him down a peg or two if we're talking draft picks only.  Wonder if we might have anyone to chip in for our part.  They run a 3-4 right?  Who is their NT?  Peko might fit in nicely over there...

Oh, but they did. Isn't the Dollar Store, or let's say Target, where they've gone and found solid, well-valued FA's in the past?  Isn't that the status quo?  And now they're telling us they are looking to play in FA, and precisely telling us that upending the status quo is their target.

Now, many of us might disagree on what particular players or positions they address, but my reading of this - coupled with the fact (and my earlier point) that the Bengals have a rock-solid track record of telling us what they are going to do and then doing it - is that they plan on making a splash.

The truly good news is that, unlike earlier seasons where we the chump that premier FA's used to up their bargaining price, we've gone to the playoffs 4 years in a row now.  And while most of you wouldn't wipe your ass with that, there are a lot of elite players who long for that shot - and who might just be confident enough in their own abilities that they could see themselves contributing a missing piece that might take us to the next level.

IIRC, that's how Reggie White got his Super Bowl. 

Rose colored glasses, you say?  Maybe. But then again, it's the off-season, and I'd much rather be sniffing roses right now than Go's asshole, which seems to be the favored past-time in these parts.

But as I said- what is their definition of status quo? What exactly is he referring to when he says status quo? Current players? Past free agency methods? The unknown context of the word is what keeps catching me.

Why the Bengals Shouldn't Hesitate to Break the Bank for Ndamukong Suh By Andrea HangstAFC North Lead Writer

Jan 26, 2015

The Cincinnati Bengals are not known to be big spenders in free agency. They aren't known for giving triple-digit million-dollar contracts to anyone, especially veterans from the outside. Team owner Mike Brown is notably frugal—even notoriously so.

So why should we bother entertaining the idea that Brown and the Bengals could make a move for one of the biggest-ticket soon-to-be free agents in defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh

Because it would be a perfect fit, though it takes a few assumptions to get to that point.

It's no secret that the Bengals' biggest weakness in 2014 was the pass rush, which generated a league-low 20 sacks in the regular season.

Defensive coordinator Paul Guenther pulled few punches when discussing that aspect of the defense when he met with the media at the end of the season, saying, "We got to improve the younger players in the rush and we have to look in the draft or free agency to get some fresh talent in here, for sure. We need to infuse the D-line because we've got to get better at rushing the passer—period."

Meanwhile, Suh has been one of the most dominant players at his position since being drafted by the Detroit Lions with the second-overall pick of the 2010 draft.

Suh had 36 sacks over his five years in Detroit, along with 181 total tackles and 60 assisted tackles. He was Pro Football Focus' (subscription required) third-ranked defensive tackle for 2014; heranked second in 2013, fourth in 2012, 43rd in 2011 and 32nd in his rookie year. He's only gotten better as his bank of experience grows.

However, this production will come at a high price for the Bengals or any would-be suitors when free agency begins in March. Suh is coming off of a rookie contract that paid him $64.5 million. This year's contract should be much higher.

There are a few conservative figures out there for any potential Suhcontract. Spotrac figures that Suh's actual contract value should be five years and in the range of $46 and $58 million, with anywhere from $22 million to $33 million of that guaranteed money.

However, NFL.com's Chris Wesseling reported in November that, on the heels of J.J. Watt's six-year, $100 million extension with theHouston TexansSuh's next deal should command him even more money. Granted, $100 million contracts can break down myriad ways—just look to Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton's deal as an example. But that kind of investment might prove to be too rich for Brown and the Bengals. 

As Cincy Jungle's Josh Kirkendall points out, the Bengals already have 18.15 percent of their 2015 salary cap committed to just the defensive line alone, and the four defensive tackles take up 9.74 percent of their total cap spending. Bringing Suh on board would increase those percentages exponentially. That would be an extraordinary amount of money for any team to spend on its defensive line.

Still, Suh would provide an instant boost to the Bengals' languishing defensive line—both the pass rush and in stopping the run, which Football Outsiders ranked 27th in 2014. And with the Bengals having few voids across all other personnel groups, spending big for Suhwouldn't be at the expense of other areas of need. The Bengals could also use multiple draft picks on the defensive line and develop inexpensive starters to complement and, later, replace Suh.

Because of this, Suh's contract could be structured to pay him more in the first few years and allow the Bengals financial protection in the latter ones, much like with Dalton. This could also provide the Bengals insurance against Suh taking his foot off the gas pedal in response to getting a high-value deal. 

Based on the Bengals' current financial situation, the team will have$9.6 million in carry-over cap room from 2014, along with about $30 million in additional 2015 cap space. The Bengals also do not have many high-priority or high-priced in-house free agents to pay this year, though they could opt to extend the contracts of wide receiverA.J. Green, offensive tackles Andrew Whitworth and Andre Smith or safety Reggie Nelson before they reach free-agent status in 2016.

With so many free agents looming in 2016, it is quite possible that they reserve their cash to pay them rather than make a splash on the first day of the new league year by signing Suh. That may prove to be the wisest move in order to remain competitive in the longer term.

However, if the Bengals want to make a concerted push toward a Super Bowl in 2015, then the addition of Suh would go a long way to advance that mission. Suhwould certainly fill a notable void in the Bengals defense and bring an edge that was lacking on the team in 2014.

Sometimes a team needs to make an aggressive move in order to get to the next level. The Bengals have been good, and even great, in their last four seasons, which all ended with postseason berths. But they have yet to win a playoff game. If it's the defensive line that is holding them back, then making an uncharacteristic move in free agency to sign an expensive talent like Suh could be just what they need.

There are times when breaking from tradition pays off. For that reason, the Bengals and Brown should open the wallet and make an offer for Suh should he reach free agency.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2342746-why-the-bengals-shouldnt-hesitate-to-break-the-bank-for-ndamukong-suh?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=share&utm_campaign=web-des-art-top-149

There is no doubt the pass rush from the front 4 was non existent the last few games of the season to include playoff game. Paying Suh what would be a huge contract would leave me speechless. Not sure anyone, besides Aaron Rodgers, is worth that kind of money.

There is no doubt the pass rush from the front 4 was non existent the last few games of the season to include playoff game. Paying Suh what would be a huge contract would leave me speechless. Not sure anyone, besides Aaron Rodgers, is worth that kind of money.

Is Aaron Rodgers on the market? Damn Mike, go get that dude.

It will be interesting to say the least if the Bengals identify, target, and acquire the talent 

needed to reach the ultimate.  While Defensive line is a worthy target in Free Agency I 

would be targeting the Linebacking situation.  Has there ever been a team in NFL history

to not record a Sack in a season from the Linebacking group?  Bengals didn't have 1 

linebacker to record a sack.  As many times as we brought the linebackers you would

think they would atleast run into one.  Amazing to me.  

Why they shouldn't:

He's always played 3 technique in Detroit.  Same position as Geno.  He's burly enough to play 1 technique, but why not go after Nick Fairley if available, or a big old 1 technique that plugs holes on run downs forcing teams into third and long more and grab a pass rushing defensive end.

Why they shouldn't:

He's always played 3 technique in Detroit.  Same position as Geno.  He's burly enough to play 1 technique, but why not go after Nick Fairley if available, or a big old 1 technique that plugs holes on run downs forcing teams into third and long more and grab a pass rushing defensive end.

This. I would love Suh, but top choice would be Pot Roast from Denver if he makes it to FA.

I still think the right move is to go big for a premier FA DE over a premier FA DT.

On the other hand, FWIW, there's nothing wrong with having two elite 3-techs on the same team (and on the field at the same time). It's a passing league, and we rotate our guys like a hockey team anyway (or at least when we do we have a lot more success).

I still think the right move is to go big for a premier FA DE over a premier FA DT.

On the other hand, FWIW, there's nothing wrong with having two elite 3-techs on the same team (and on the field at the same time). It's a passing league, and we rotate our guys like a hockey team anyway (or at least when we do we have a lot more success).

and why i think a guy like grady jarrett would make an excellent pick for us.

Whenever I read that "Mike Brown leading charge" line I can't help but picture something like this:

ecg7eA.gif

I'm not even as much the MB hater as a lot of y'all - though the messiah complex stuff is annoying  - but "leadership" is not exactly a quality I associate with him.  I wouldn't trust him to lead water downhill.

ON FREE AGENCY: 'There has not been a 'status quo' conversation'

Over recent years the tornado of free agency took place while the Bengals primarily buried themselves in the storm cellar, then emerged from the basement after to assess the wreckage.

Lewis painted a different picture of how the team plans on approaching the open market this year. Don't expect a run at the high-priced, high-profile free agents piling up mega-millions in guaranteed cash, but do expect a much more aggressive bunch when it comes to acquiring talent. And the push is coming from his boss.
"Oh yeah, (Mike Brown) is the one leading the charge," Lewis said. "He doesn't want to hear, 'We will be better when we get these guys back.' No, we need to get better. He knows we need to get better. He's pushing people to identify players that will make us a better football team in free agency."
Lewis views the team through a different prism than in recent years where the talent seemed to be overrunning at many positions. Now, he sees holes in the team where players need to come in and serve as upgrades in a starting role, not just rotational depth.
That doesn't mean finding a talented player for the sake of bringing in talent, Lewis specified depth ideally fitting the Bengals construction. But sitting back and watching won't be a part of the attack come March.
"It's a different feel than where we have been," Lewis said. "It's not a status quo. There has not been a status quo conversation or 'Oh, we'll be OK, we'll just get these guys back.' No, no, no, that's bull. We got to be better."http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2015/01/21/marvin-lewis-opens-up-in-mobile/22127325/

Huge problem here. This should upset Bengals fans everywhere. This admits the reactive and not proactive approach of simply waiting for players to come back from injury and/or waiting for underperforming players to improve. This should have NEVER been an acceptable practice and is very much a reason this franchise hasn't won a playoff game in half their fan bases lifetimes. This practice KILLED the 2005-08 years. That team should have competed for a SB title. Instead, they waited for Guycheck, Willie, Levi, Thurman, Pollack to return to form or improve and it never happened.

Only time will tell if they indeed change their MO as I can see them again repeating those type of mistakes and simply waiting for guys like Smith, Burfict, Jones, Eifert, Geno to get back and for guys like Bodine, Still, Thompson to develop.

As Marvin would say, "I see better than I hear". Until I see it, I'm not sure I'm going to believe it.

[quote name="Big Alice" post="1426500" timestamp="1421900242"]Antonio Bryant.
In the last couple years, the Bengals have sat back and watched the dust settle.
We forget that guys like Antwon Odom and John Thornton were "head of the class" free agents when they were signed, though.[/quote

If I recall correctly, those guys were considered good players but they were not the cream of the crop type of guys. Thornton was on the tail end and brought in as much for leadership as anything else. Odom was more of an up and comer that still had question marks due to his lack of lower body size/strength.

Archived