Republicans write open letter to Iran undermining nuclear negotiations

Ben

http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2015-03-09/republicans-warn-iran-and-obama-that-deal-won-t-last

These guys are starting to reach cartoon villian status. 

A group of 47 Republican senators has written an open letter to Iran's leaders warning them that any nuclear deal they sign with President Barack Obama's administration won’t last after Obama leaves office.

Organized by freshman Senator Tom Cotton and signed by the chamber's entire party leadership as well as potential 2016 presidential contenders Marco Rubio, Ted Cruz and Rand Paul, the letter is meant not just to discourage the Iranian regime from signing a deal but also to pressure the White House into giving Congress some authority over the process.

“It has come to our attention while observing your nuclear negotiations with our government that you may not fully understand our constitutional system … Anything not approved by Congress is a mere executive agreement,” the senators wrote. “The next president could revoke such an executive agreement with the stroke of a pen and future Congresses could modify the terms of the agreement at any time.”

Any citizen of the United States, wherever he may be, who, without authority of the United States, directly or indirectly commences or carries on any correspondence or intercourse with any foreign government or any officer or agent thereof, with intent to influence the measures or conduct of any foreign government or of any officer or agent thereof, in relation to any disputes or controversies with the United States, or to defeat the measures of the United States, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.

This section shall not abridge the right of a citizen to apply, himself or his agent, to any foreign government or the agents thereof for redress of any injury which he may have sustained from such government or any of its agents or subjects.

It's called the Logan Act, and depending on how a judge might read it when they talk about if Congress is considered "Any citizen without authority" the 47 Senators could be thrown in jail.

... the 47 Senators could be thrown in jail.

Here is a video of what it would look (and sound) like if a senator was taken into custody by the DOJ:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvL-oQ2XdCc

Imagine the racket 47 of them would make, along with the cable news channels.  It would be glorious.

According to Israel and their apologists (Republicans) Iran is building a nuclear weapon,   The President of the US is in negotiations with Iran to stop them from building said weapon,   47 rogue politicians try to sabotage negotiations putting world in danger

How is this not treason?

• 2 months later...

Unfortunately there's precedent of both parties doing similar in the past. Nothing will happen.

Examples?

Getting pretty tired of this "but both parties do it!" excuse.  Maybe so, but who is doing it now? On some old "but he hit me first!" bullshit.  Pretty much everybody speeds on the interstate, too, but you're the one that got pulled over. Life ain't fair.

In the broader sense, I have never seen a President disrespected so often.  Even the supposed liberal media like NPR calls him "Mister" half the time.

This is not treason. It's just an affirmation that congress and the people in the US have a voice and it will be heard.

You mean like when those "people in the US" elected the guy whose responsibility it is to undertake these negotiations, not once but twice? That kind of voice?

Or are you only interested in the voice of the minority that didn't vote for him and have done everything possible to undermine his elected authority since then?

It's not a dictatorship

You're right, it's not.  Again, duly-elected President of the United States.  Twice.  Sorry if you don't like him but that doesn't make him a dictator.

congress should have a voice regardless of who is President. IMHO

That voice is not meant to be used to undermine negotiations with a foreign power.  Pretty simple.

This is not treason. It's just an affirmation that congress and the people in the US have a voice and it will be heard. It's not a dictatorship and congress should have a voice regardless of who is President. IMHO

More like sedition.

1. Sedition no, subversion maybe.

2. President should never have absolute power with no questioning. See the recent conflicts we've engaged in WITHOUT congressional approval.

3. Everyone should have a voice. Especially the minority. Otherwise, you were born in the wrong decade.

Subversion is a key component of sedition:

"Sedition often includes subversion of a constitution and incitement of discontent (or resistance) to lawful authority."

I can often speak subversively but that in itself and by itself is not seditious or sedition. By the definition I am seeing develop, I am subversive, which makes me seditious, and in turn condemns me as a traitorous fiend. I stand by for the firing squad because I refuse to blindly support the current regime's handling of Iran... 1/2 :ninja:

I can often speak subversively but that in itself and by itself is not seditious or sedition. By the definition I am seeing develop, I am subversive, which makes me seditious, and in turn condemns me as a traitorous fiend. I stand by for the firing squad because I refuse to blindly support the current regime's handling of Iran... 1/2 :ninja:

I only registered as an Independent because they wouldn't allow me to put 'Seditionist'.

No :ninja:

I only registered as an Independent because they wouldn't allow me to put 'Seditionist'.

No :ninja:

Which candidate is running under the seditionist banner ? Perhaps we can get Homer to change parties and run as our candidate.

Archived