Even at 3-5-1, Bengals Control Their Own Destiny

Current AFC North Standings:

5-4-0 Baltimore
4-5-0 Pittsburgh
3-5-1 Cincinnati

The Bengals are 1.5 games behind Baltimore but play them twice.
The Bengals are 0.5 games behind Pittsburgh but play them once.

If Cincinnati runs the table to finish 10-5-1, we will win the division.

And while that may be unlikely, as long as we sweep those guys and lose no more games than they do, we will still win the division.  Both of them would have 6 losses to our 5-1/2, not counting games against other opponents.  If we lose one, but both of them lose one as well, we're still division champs.  Besides our head-to-head games, here's everyone's remaining schedule:

Ravens: at Dallas, Miami, at New England, Philly, at Pittsburgh (and 2 against us)
Stealers: at Cleveland, at Indianapolis, NY Giants, at Buffalo, Baltimore, Cleveland (and 1 at PBS)

We play: Buffalo, Philly, at Cleveland, at Houston (+2 vs Baltimore and 1 vs Pittsburgh)

I was thinking about this earlier but since you mentioned everyone's schedule?

We are entering Week 11 of the 2016 season and have played 3 home games.  One of which was a Thursday night.

Someone tell me again how there's no NFL bias? Don't be offended when I laugh in your face - it's involuntary.

48 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I was thinking about this earlier but since you mentioned everyone's schedule?

We are entering Week 11 of the 2016 season and have played 3 home games.  One of which was a Thursday night.

Someone tell me again how there's no NFL bias? Don't be offended when I laugh in your face - it's involuntary.

One of our home games was in London, the other owners clearly don't like the way MB runs his franchise and they screw us over anytime they get.

2 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

One of our home games was in London, the other owners clearly don't like the way MB runs his franchise and they screw us over anytime they get.

Yeah being as we are not (yet) the London Bengals I do not count a game on the other side of the Atlantic as a home game.

As for MB..  No trouble believing the other owners are tired of his sanctimonious bullshit, or maybe it's simply the role of a small market team.  I also suspect they felt the Bengals embarrassed the league by trying to play by the same rules as the Stoolers. We're supposed to be the designated punching bag & by swinging back instead, we made the game too violent for their "player safety" party line. Avoiding a crippling CTE lawsuit and/or outside regulation is the NFL's #1 priority right now.

IDK what it is exactly but it's clear we're getting the shit end of the stick for whatever reason.

10 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Yeah being as we are not (yet) the London Bengals I do not count a game on the other side of the Atlantic as a home game.

As for MB..  No trouble believing the other owners are tired of his sanctimonious bullshit, or maybe it's simply the role of a small market team.  I also suspect they felt the Bengals embarrassed the league by trying to play by the same rules as the Stoolers. We're supposed to be the designated punching bag & by swinging back instead, we made the game too violent for their "player safety" party line. Avoiding a crippling CTE lawsuit and/or outside regulation is the NFL's #1 priority right now.

IDK what it is exactly but it's clear we're getting the shit end of the stick for whatever reason.

The Marvengals play not to lose and they do.

13 hours ago, AmishBengalFan said:

Current AFC North Standings:

5-4-0 Baltimore
4-5-0 Pittsburgh
3-5-1 Cincinnati

The Bengals are 1.5 games behind Baltimore but play them twice.
The Bengals are 0.5 games behind Pittsburgh but play them once.

If Cincinnati runs the table to finish 10-5-1, we will win the division.

And while that may be unlikely, as long as we sweep those guys and lose no more games than they do, we will still win the division.  Both of them would have 6 losses to our 5-1/2, not counting games against other opponents.  If we lose one, but both of them lose one as well, we're still division champs.  Besides our head-to-head games, here's everyone's remaining schedule:

Ravens: at Dallas, Miami, at New England, Philly, at Pittsburgh (and 2 against us)
Stealers: at Cleveland, at Indianapolis, NY Giants, at Buffalo, Baltimore, Cleveland (and 1 at PBS)

We play: Buffalo, Philly, at Cleveland, at Houston (+2 vs Baltimore and 1 vs Pittsburgh)

Stealers have an even easier schedule than we do. And this year, if we don't win the division we don't get in. Even if we did get in, though, this team isn't going anywhere.

5 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

The simple fact of the matter, however, is that the Bengals do control their own destiny. 

4 hours ago, Numbers said:

I thought the media controlled our destiny...  :gobengals:

Marvin controls our destiny.  How's that for the Debbie Downer through of the day?

I'm thinking another tie.

7 hours ago, High School Harry said:

The Marvengals play not to lose and they do.

That's the funny thing about that. If you keep playing not to lose and you keep losing anyway, logic should tell you that if you play to win you should win more often. Somebody get Marvy on the horn, stat!

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

No, that would be the NFL...and they decide every teams' destiny.

So,  your earlier quote stating " Bengals do control their own destiny "  is implying that the Bengals are the NFL.   As such,  we are  the deciding factor in our destiny  ?  You'd have thought we would've won a long time ago.   If not,  the Bengals control ZERO in regards to their destiny.   6 and 10...

56 minutes ago, Bunghole said:

That's the funny thing about that. If you keep playing not to lose and you keep losing anyway, logic should tell you that if you play to win you should win more often. Somebody get Marvy on the horn, stat!

Actually it's true what you say.   Some people call it luck and a person or team has the ability to improve their odds of winning.   Problem is,  we lost that ability some time in the beginning of the 90's IMHO.    Going for two,  4th down short yardage,  TD vs FG try,  fake plays,  etc...   

Ain't gonna happen, because of Marvin Lewis's Achilles' tendon. He never changes his starting game plan. Run, run, throw to green. 2nd half...run , run, throw to green. Teams bracket us on their schedules because they don't have to game plan. Lewis is predictable so why waste a game plan day. Teams look past us and plan for who their playing next .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, it's better to start slow and finish strong going into the playoffs if that can happen.

The NFL is always an any given Sunday league. Any team can put together a hot streak. 

I have to believe that the problems can be fixed... Better discipline on Defense, a long term benching of Ced for Winston or Fisher. Give Dansby's snaps to Vigil. We looked better in the first half coming off the bye, we didn't play for 60 minutes. Heck, just a few lucky games where some big plays get made on D could be the difference.

The question is, if it's fixable, when is it going to get fixed?

I think there's a sense of complacency. This is a team that just wants to get back to the playoffs and prove themselves. With the run they've had, they're taking the regular season for granted, and are now just starting to remember that it takes a lot of hard work to even get to the stage where you get to prove yourselves. Hopefully some of the under performing units on this team find their collective sacks and come out to play for the next 7.

2 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Name the 4 wins. After yesterday, I am wondering if even another win is possible. 

In any other year, watching the Rats and Stealers as weak as they are, we would be elated.

Now, all you can feel is ill.

Texans, ravens, browns, Stealers and ravens again are all wins with a healthy AJ Green and an accurate Nugent. 

If we can figure out a way to gut a W Sunday I think we could pull this shit off, but I am a massive Homer.

Archived