Beautiful, Good, Bad, and Ugly, Tampa Edition

7 minutes ago, Jason said:

Huh?  We started the second half with 4 consecutive 3 and out drives.  Not sure how much of that was Westernan instead of Boling, but there was a noticeable difference.

While 3rd down efficiency is 5-13, the line still provided enough over the last 5 or so games to gather 5.1 yards rushing.   I'd say that's pretty effective.  The line was not the issue today Imho.  Scoring that many points does not point the finger in the direction of the offense but allowing that many points does point the finger in an obvious direction.   Although I will give credit to the Ď in scoring by Bates. 

4 hours ago, thezerawkid said:

Also:

Good - we quite literally limp away with a MUCH needed fifth victory. Two weeks to get healthy and, I dare say, make some huge adjustments to our defensive approach. If we can take five of our last eight, we can almost certainly be assured an opportunity to have a wild card loss again.

...and that's a good thing

*clap, clap, clap with expressionless face*

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

Good:  Both nobody TE's made plays.

That'd be Jordan Franks & Matt Lengel for those keeping track.  One target & one catch for each.  That'll do.

I had to check the boxscore to see if you were trying to bullsit us with made up players. Those guys are actually on our team!

17 minutes ago, SF2 said:

I had to check the boxscore to see if you were trying to bullsit us with made up players. Those guys are actually on our team!

Lengel's was for 32 yards!  JFC did you even watch the game!?

I looked them up too

11 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Lengel's was for 32 yards!  JFC did you even watch the game!?

I looked them up too

I listened to it on the radio.  Spent the day winterizing my in laws little fishing boat , and 2- 22 year old jet skis in the rain.  I seem to be the only one in the family who understands engines and works for beer.

You miss alot on radio. I did see the last 10 min or so when Fitz was lighting us up.

EDIT: BTW, Lengel only had a 4 yard reception, it was Franks who went for 32.  What game were you watching??

The identity of the Bengals is still unknown, unless it’s simply just chaos.

After scoring four touchdowns and intercepting Buccaneers quarterback Jameis Winston three times in the first half, the Bengals we’re leading 27-9 and sitting pretty in the locker room at the half. 

Suddenly, the offense went as cold as possible and the Buccaneers pulled the plug on Winston, allowing Ryan Fitzpatrick to erase a 34-16 lead in the final minute of the game. 

But unlike their last home game against the Stealers, the Bengals were the ones who drove down the field to win the game in the final seconds. Plenty of players performed at their best in this game, while a few underwhelmed. 

Here are our winners and losers from the Bengals’ 37-34 win over the Buccaneers.

Winners

Tyler Boyd: There’s something about the NFC South for Boyd. With his 138-yard performance against Tampa Bay, he now has three 100-yard games on the season, all against NFC South defenses. Boyd also scored the game’s second touchdown, and he hauled in a team-leading nine receptions on 10 targets.

Joe Mixon: Boyd carried the passing game, but the first half belonged to Mixon. His 114 rushing yards from the first two quarters were the most by a Bengals running back in 10 years and is the most rushing yards in the first half from an NFL player this season. 

His two touchdowns also doubled his total on the season. This was the game the Bengals second-year tailback needed to get back on track, and despite not getting much of anything going in the second half, his first half production was impressive on its own. Mixon finished the game with 123 yards on 21 carries along with those two first half touchdowns.

Sam Hubbard: When Carl Lawson went down with a torn ACL on the first drive of the game, Hubbard’s day got a lot more busy. Thankfully, he stepped up when he was needed. On the drive when Lawson went down, Hubbard got a crucial pressure on quarterback Jameis Winston that lead to the first of four interceptions for Winston. He later sacked Winston for the second sack of his career.

Carlos Dunlap: Playing beside Hubbard, Dunlap had arguably his best game of the season, finishing with two sacks, three tackles for loss and two additional hits on Winston. This was great to see from Dunlap who was shut out against the Chiefs the week prior, and the Bengals defense will need Dunlap to keep producing down the road with Lawson out for the year.

Jordan Evans: With no Vontaze Burfict or Nick Vigil, Evans was all over the field for the Bengals defense. He recorded 11 tackles, 1.5 sacks with two quarterback hits and his first career interception. He did allow the Buccaneers’ final touchdown that decreased the Bengals’ lead to two, but his coverage on the play was fine. Evans has been playing in reserve for the Bengals constant injuries at linebacker, and today was his most impressive performance.

Jessie Bates III: Winston’s last pass attempt ended up in the arms of Bates, who then waltzed into the end zone for his third career interception and first career pick-six. Bates also got his hands on a few deep passes targeted towards DeSean Jackson, and made a couple impressive stops near the line of scrimmage. Bates, and the rest of the Bengals’ back seven took advantage of nearly every opportune moment against the struggling Winston; and Bates’ rookie season continues to amaze us.

Losers

Bill Lazor: What happened in the second half? Four consecutive three-and-outs from the offense probably can’t be pinned on just one person, but Lazor’s lack of adjustments in the third and fourth quarters nearly cost the Bengals the game. Andy Dalton also underwhelmed after facilitating the ball with precision in the first half, but Lazor’s play-calling was questionable at best when the Bengals could’ve put the nail in the coffin much earlier in the game.

C.J. Uzomah: Part of the Bengals offensive shut down in the second half was their failure to get their starting tight end involved. Uzomah finished with zero receptions on four targets. Both Matt Lengel and Jordan Franks notched a reception, and Uzomah just couldn’t get open and secure any of his targets.

Jordan Willis: The Bengals are really going to miss Carl Lawson, who is out for the year with a torn ACL, because Willis can still not win as a pass-rusher. Willis took the majority of Lawson’s snaps on third down and did pretty much nothing with them. He’s needed now more than ever with Lawson sidelined for the remainder of the year. 

Hopefully Willis can kick things up a notch after the bye week.

The Excellent:  Dinner after at Morton's Steakhouse.

The Ugly: The bill.  Holy shit! Even with the gift card.

As far as the game, I don't think the Bengals won it so much as Tampa Bay lost it.

Winston is terrible.  If he had been benched after the first quarter, former Bengal Fitzmagic would

have made it the second blow out in two weeks.

I'm really glad Randy made the last second field goal or he would have been made the scapegoat deflecting the blame from Austin and Marvin.  I was thinking if they lost, there was a possibility that Marvin would have been sent bye bye during the bye week.  Probably not, but a thought.  As it is, I would not be surprised to see Austin go or at least "decide" to coach from the field rather than the booth.  Maybe simply a cosmetic change but at least something would be done.

The good was, I guess,

The Tampa Bay gift.

Andy.

Randy.

Bates (a rare good draft move)

Hubbard

Westerman stepping in and playing well (pressure was coming from Dip and Shit on the right)

The mediocre and bad...

Second half coaching

Third and Dre 

Shawn of the Dead Williams

Things are not going to get any better from here on out.  Split with Cleveland at least.

49 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

The Excellent:  Dinner after at Morton's Steakhouse.

The Ugly: The bill.  Holy shit! Even with the gift card.

Yeah they think highly of their food. Did you go to the one downtown by the Westin? I stick with a bacon grilled cheese (with jalapenos) and tomato bisque. Delicious! But still $$$

14 minutes ago, Cat said:

Yeah they think highly of their food. Did you go to the one downtown by the Westin? I stick with a bacon grilled cheese (with jalapenos) and tomato bisque. Delicious! But still $$$

Yep, that one.

I used points from my bank card for the gift card.

I have a ton of points and will cash in enough for

a free meal there and that will be excellent.

Free is my favorite flavor.

14 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Just saw Iloka on the Vikings D intros & was wondering how much we're missing him back there.

I didn't really notice live, but after reviewing the bucs tying TD, Shawn Williams was squared up on the goal line as OJ Howard was approaching inside the 5. He didn't come up and try to hit him short. He stayed there and threw him into the end zone when he got there. He may not have stopped him anyway, but fuck.

1 hour ago, Hooky said:

I didn't really notice live, but after reviewing the bucs tying TD, Shawn Williams was squared up on the goal line as OJ Howard was approaching inside the 5. He didn't come up and try to hit him short. He stayed there and threw him into the end zone when he got there. He may not have stopped him anyway, but fuck.

Of course he didn't.

Howard is a tight end and Shawn of the Dead did not want to go against the Bengal tradition of not covering a tight end.

Williams is Kirkpatrick 2.0.

16 hours ago, Numbers said:

Third down efficiency has to improve, 5-13 is not good enough.   

And on the flip side, our defense on 3rd down needs to improve also. TB converted a gaudy amount of 3rd downs, especially 3rd and long, against us. 

And on the flip side, our defense on 3rd down needs to improve also. TB converted a gaudy amount of 3rd downs, especially 3rd and long, against us. 
Yes, it goes without saying that our defense is a shell of what it used to be before Defensive Coordinator shift. Other teams seem to be as adapting and thriving. We seem to be stuck in first gear. The one area I didn't expect problems with is now our biggest most glaring problem. IMHO.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

Hey, we're on pace to set a record! Although I'm not sure if that is good or ugly...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

“If we didn’t have those takeaways, they would have had 800 yards, and Jameis would have still been in the game,” Bengals linebacker Preston Brown said, via Paul Dehner Jr. of the Cincinnati Enquirer.

The Bengals defense isn’t just bad. It’s historically bad.

Cincinnati allowed the Chiefs to gain 551 yards last week, which is 1,127 in the past two weeks combined. That’s 101 yards more than the Bengals have allowed in a two-game stretch in franchise history, via Dehner.

“It’s broke. It’s broke,” Bengals cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick said. “It’s something we have to fix.”

The Saints gave up 7,042 yards in 2012 to set the NFL record for most yards allowed in a season. The Bengals are on pace to allow 7,164.

BEAUTIFUL

Joe Mixon

Tyler Boyd

GOOD

Andy Dalton

Jessie Bates

Preston Brown

Carlos Dunlap

Jordan Evans

Randy Bullock

Two Weeks To Hopefully Get Some Players Back From Injury

BAD