Bengals Free Agency Thread.

Just so we are clear here. Carl Lawson had 5.5 sacks last year, Trey Hendrickson had 13.5. I realize there is alot that goes into all that like who is playing around you, and schemes, ect...

But on the surface we just got an upgrade. 

1 minute ago, Jamie_B said:

Just so we are clear here. Carl Lawson had 5.5 sacks last year, Trey Hendrickson had 13.5. I realize there is alot that goes into all that like who is playing around you, and schemes, ect...

Hendrickson will not get 13 sacks if there is no one else on the DL. This transaction is a wash for me , lost a good player but gained one

Just now, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Hendrickson will not get 13 sacks if there is no one else on the DL. This transaction is a wash for me , lost a good player but gained one

I've never really been that impressed with Lawson to be honest. I agree we still need to have players beside him, hopefully Reader plays a full season and hopefully they go get some other guys too.

23 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Not sure about Hendrickson, but Lawson has struggled mightily to stay on the field.  

The real issue is that the decent players on the Bengals defense want out.  

From Carl Lawson's Draft Bio: Lawson's twitch shows up in short, controlled bursts, but he struggles to finish if the play isn't right in front of him.

This hasn't changed,

If someone is going to get serious production out of Carl Lawson, it's probably Robert Saleh. He's still young and has potential but, this whole "he gets near the QB" thing got very old for me. He's torn his ACL twice at 25 and two of his four seasons were injury shortened. He's also a piss poor run defender which is why he wasn't even a starter here until Carlos Dunlap fell out of favour. With him, the Bengals were last in the NFL in the league in sacks.

I'm honestly not hammering the guy but, I was not sad they didn't tag him and I'm not sad he's gone. I wish him luck. It will be interesting to see how he does.

Trey Hendrickson, I don't know much about. He had 13.5 sacks on a very good line. Not much before that.

It was time for a change. The Bengals needed to improve their pass rush and they've taken a swing early in free agency to try to do so. Cut Atkins and Hart and his salary is covered this year. Let's hope the kid can do something.

11 minutes ago, tibor75 said:

Hendrickson did nothing until this past year.  You could say same for Lawson.

Will be interesting to see who is better next year - especially given that both are playing for similar sad-sack teams.

Ill put my money on Hendrickson..

Just sayin..😎

I'm ok with replacing Lawson with Hendrickson. But the defense isn't significantly better for the move. If we sign Hilton, he'd be a replacement for Alexander rather than Jackson. And we're still ignoring the massive need on the O-line where we need at least 3 new starters.

19 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

I'm ok with replacing Lawson with Hendrickson. But the defense isn't significantly better for the move. If we sign Hilton, he'd be a replacement for Alexander rather than Jackson. And we're still ignoring the massive need on the O-line where we need at least 3 new starters.

In my opinion, Trae Waynes is WJIII’s replacement. Hilton is super solid and as you say would replace Alexander.

They absolutely must sign an above average OG and OT and add more pass rushers. DT is still an issue too.

Still lots to be done.

Looks like Sewell or Slater will be the pick at #5.

7 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

Not sure about Hendrickson, but Lawson has struggled mightily to stay on the field.  

The real issue is that the decent players on the Bengals defense want out.  

As far as I know the only one that wanted out was Dunlap.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

As far as I know the only one that wanted out was Dunlap.

My guess is Lawson could have stayed.  Jackson will get a good offer as well.  Honestly, why would they stay?  If you had a choice, and the money was equal, would you play for the Bengals?

1 hour ago, UncleEarl said:

My guess is Lawson could have stayed.  Jackson will get a good offer as well.  Honestly, why would they stay?  If you had a choice, and the money was equal, would you play for the Bengals?

Lawson went on record saying he would have been happy to stay with the Bengals.

You think the Jets offer any greener pastures?

Archived