Jump to content

Keeping our enemies close


Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, sparky151 said:

 

It probably doesn't take Congressional approval but the DC mayor and council hate Snyder and certainly won't give him a deal. He's bought a couple hundred acres in NoVa but neither the locals or state want to subsidize him. After Del Rio's comments a VA state senator pronounced them the final nail in the coffin but it was pretty tightly sealed already. 

 

Technicality here but he actually hasn't bought the land, he's agreed in principle to buy land if they decide they will put the stadium there. It's a technicality that allows them to get out of the deal if they change their minds or get a better deal. 

 

But yes, DC proper wont give him a sweetheart deal, no chance. 

 

As far as where they are talking about putting it, they will have to make that decision soon and the commonwealth itself has only decided to push off that decision this year, they have not taken it off the table completely. Prince William County itself wants to see the deal done.

 

As far as the locals, it's a mixed reaction. Speaking for myself as a local and someone who lives 6 miles from the proposed stadium and 2 miles from one of the other locations they were looking at. I am of two minds, one the infrastructure upgrades to allow the kind of traffic that a new Stadum brings will take alot of time and be a nightmare for an area that already has some of the worst traffic in the nation, that is not something I look forward to or welcome, on the other hand the increase in the value of my home would allow me to sell it at an insane profit, move out of the area entirely, and maybe allow me to just work part time until I retire in 18 years. I would not hate that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

nightmare for an area that already has some of the worst traffic in the nation, 

 

 

I've only used it as a tourist and not a commuter that was depending on it, but the DC train system seemed pretty good.  Also underutilized for the time of day I was sometimes on it taking the VRE in from Woodbridge.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

 

 

I've only used it as a tourist and not a commuter that was depending on it, but the DC train system seemed pretty good.  Also underutilized for the time of day I was sometimes on it taking the VRE in from Woodbridge.

 

 

That's part of the problem, there is a VRE Train station right there where they want to put it but not a DC Metro, it's something they have been trying to get down here for years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

 

 

That's part of the problem, there is a VRE Train station right there where they want to put it but not a DC Metro, it's something they have been trying to get down here for years.

 

Making people take the train to football games really screws with the experience.  No tailgating.  Had Atlanta Falcons season tickets before and after the built the Georgia Dome.  Always a Bengals fan, but loved going to NFL games and tailgating on Sunday morning.  Georgia Dome killed that.  Got rid of those tickets after two years in that dump.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, UncleEarl said:

 

Making people take the train to football games really screws with the experience.  No tailgating.  Had Atlanta Falcons season tickets before and after the built the Georgia Dome.  Always a Bengals fan, but loved going to NFL games and tailgating on Sunday morning.  Georgia Dome killed that.  Got rid of those tickets after two years in that dump.

 

 

The current stadium has a metro nearby, doesn't change the tailgate. 

 

The bigger issue, is that there is a bridge on 95 that got expanded probably 20 or so years ago that crosses part of the Potomac that is right there where they want to put this stadium that would have to be expanded again, and I'm not sure there is room to do that.  Which is why adding a metro would at least help to alleviate some of the traffic issues, but I doubt most of them, as people do still like to drive to games.

 

They would have to be really creative on how they did the planning for where they are talking about putting it, and I just don't see it happening, I think the county is being used to get a better negotiating price from someone else imho

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

 

 

The current stadium has a metro nearby, doesn't change the tailgate. 

 

The bigger issue, is that there is a bridge on 95 that got expanded probably 20 or so years ago that crosses part of the Potomac that is right there where they want to put this stadium that would have to be expanded again, and I'm not sure there is room to do that.  Which is why adding a metro would at least help to alleviate some of the traffic issues, but I doubt most of them, as people do still like to drive to games.

 

They would have to be really creative on how they did the planning for where they are talking about putting it, and I just don't see it happening, I think the county is being used to get a better negotiating price from someone else imho

 

Yeah, still in the suburbs I suppose.  Georgia Dome and now Mercedes Benz stadium are pretty much land locked in downtown Atlanta.  Limited parking and some of it is not where you would want to tailgate.  (The Pigeon Pit)  It made things significantly less fun that Fulton County Stadium. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

More on the train wreck that is ole rub-n-tug. Go to 10:30, I like what he says about the white whale (hope this hasn't been posted, I missed it if it was)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...